PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS A GOOD OPTIC FOR HOME DEFENSE

ROADKING
02-06-09, 19:10
I am new here to the forum and also new to the ar world. I had a ak and I just bought a new smith&wesson m&p15 and love it. So far i added a quad rail ,a sure fire light , caa cheek rest, magpul mags foregrip. caa grip and i am now looking to get a good quality red dot for around $400.00 any idea's would be appriciated.

thanks guys.

NetJunkie
02-06-09, 19:13
Not exactly in your range but I use a Aimpoint T-1 Micro. The big draw to me is the battery life. Unlike the Eotech I sold I never have to turn the Aimpoint off. Like 7 year battery life on the setting I use. You can grab it and not worry.

Joe R.
02-06-09, 19:27
Keep your eye open for a used Aimpoint ML2 or ML3 in the for sale section. They show up pretty regularly and can be had at a good price.

Treehopr
02-06-09, 19:37
+1 for what Joe R.said, about a year ago there was a glut of used Aimpoint M2's from folks upgrading to the M4 and T/H1.

Exceptional battery life and big 4 MOA dot make it a good solid choice since it'll be stored more than shot and if used most likely at short range.

You can hunt around and get a decent M2 with QRP mount for less than $350.

Good luck!

ROADKING
02-06-09, 19:39
What about the comp c is that any good. and what is the next step up from the comp c.

N.Y.45 ACP
02-06-09, 20:05
Check with Grant at G&R Tactical and see if he still has the Aimpoint C3 with a Larue or ADM mount.

I bought this setup from him last year and have been very pleased so far.

I think I paid in the $450 range for the package. I have the 2 MOA version plus the long battery life .....just no night vision.....not neccesary for my needs.

ROADKING
02-06-09, 20:52
Is the comp c a good version of the aimpoint. Do they make a mount that sits a little lower. The aimpoints i see always sits high from the top of the rifle.

N.Y.45 ACP
02-06-09, 21:16
IMHO the comp c 3 is a very good value.

Many other more experienced folks here have said it is a good optic....2 things to keep in mind...it is only waterproof to 15 feet and offers no night vision compatibility....only you can decide if thats important to you.

The comp c 3 does offer a very long battery life - 50,000 hours at setting 7 of 10.

As far as mounts go , most are made so the optic will either absolute co-witnesses or 1/3 lower co-witness. I prefer the 1/3 lower co-witness. This means the iron sights are visible in the bottom third of the optic when looking through it. Absolute co-witness means the irons and dot are inline with each other when looking through the optic. If you search out co-witness others have explained this better then I have.

trunkmonkey
02-06-09, 21:18
how about nothing for home defense. the target is 10 feet away.

Failure2Stop
02-06-09, 21:25

Point being?

ROADKING
02-06-09, 21:27
i thought about the eotech because you dont have to buy a mount but still not sure. I can get the eotech for $425.00 out the door or i can get the aimpoint compc for $425.00 out the door with a burris mount.

N.Y.45 ACP
02-06-09, 21:38
Have you gone to the optic section of this site ?

There is a wealth of info to be found there.

The eotech vs aimpoint debate has gone on for years...lol

I choose the aimpoint because of the battery life....I can leave it on and not have to fumble with an on/off switch in the middle of the night if I need to grab and go.

I have not used an eotech to any extent so I cannot comment on it , however those that have used both have said they feel the eotech is quicker on target for them due to the circle and dot arrangement.

I would suggest going to the optic section of this site and reading what others have said.

Good luck

Buckaroo
02-06-09, 22:08
i thought about the eotech because you dont have to buy a mount but still not sure. I can get the eotech for $425.00 out the door or i can get the aimpoint compc for $425.00 out the door with a burris mount.

Having had an Eotech and now an Aimpoint I would suggest that you go with the Aimpoint. It has much better battery life and can be left on indefinitely. This means that it will be ready when you need it. I had both types of Eotechs and even the AA did not provide me with what I considered even close to acceptable battery life and they cannot be left on for more than 8 hours by design. I like the Eotech's recticle but that is all I appreciated about them.

Buckaroo

senorlinc
02-06-09, 23:14
+1 on the C3. think mine was just under $400 w the mount, courtesy of grant
i felt like a total cheapskate putting it on my noveske however it has exceeded my expectations so far.

AirmanAtwood
02-06-09, 23:31
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aimpoint-CompML3-with-4-MOA-Red-Dot-ACET-Sight-NEW_W0QQitemZ180297595168QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180297595168&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

Mung
02-06-09, 23:33

First thing that came to my mind too.:confused:

AirmanAtwood
02-06-09, 23:49
First thing that came to my mind too.:confused:

The engagement might not necessarily be at that short of a distance. It could be across the house. A RDS would allow for faster target acquisition and therefore you get the shot off before the target does.

MaceWindu
02-07-09, 00:39
http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-short-guide/

trunkmonkey
02-07-09, 01:27
Point being?

Point being subject matter expert, is that optics are not a necessity if the sole use of the firearm is home defense.
That being said they are not a hinderance either.

At those distances your talking front sight post instinctive shooting.

If I was tight on cash I wouldn't be worrying about optic for that given use.

I'm not sure how far the furthest possible shot in your house is, but in mine it's not far enough to demand an optic.
I'd venture to say that 99% of the time an indoors confrontation would be within 10 yards. And more likely much closer.

And I don't know about anyone else here, but I can fold my rear buis down and using only the front sight tip put accurate fire into a target just as fast as I can with an optic at that distance.

There are other things that are more of a priority before an optic for home defense.
An optic is pretty much a luxury for that purpose, not a necessity.

1. Proper mags
2. Proper ammunition for that purpose (home defense)
3. Rail
4. Weapon mounted light
5. Optic

If you've already decided to get an optic, or have reached that point on your priority list. Well, then I'd definitely go the aimpoint route. You will NOT remember to turn the damn eotech on in a time of need, middle of the night, waking up from a dead sleep, intruder type scenario. think about it.

Iraqgunz
02-07-09, 03:26
Since it was brought up. I would ensure that I first had a good weapon light, a good functional sling, as well as good mags and ammo. Once that has been accomplished I would start looking for a sight.

Failure2Stop
02-07-09, 04:26
Point being subject matter expert, is that optics are not a necessity if the sole use of the firearm is home defense.
That being said they are not a hinderance either.

What is it with everybody getting all pouty when a statement is challenged by somebody with a blue or yellow name? I'm not some close-minded argumentitive dick-head, please don't treat me as one.
I was simply prodding for something more detailed to outline your thoughts.
I was not being confrontational, hell, I didn't even say that you were wrong.
With a statement as simple as "nothing", there was no indication that you were even talking about iron sights (though I can agree that they should be considered a requirement).

For what it's worth, I agree with much of what you are saying, except that I don't really think that a rail is all that important, given that there are viable alternate options for light mounting. I also abhor the phrase "instinctive shooting", but that is a topic for another thread.

ETA- I also think that the OP would do well by reading the Optics Sub-Forum, which is where these type of discussions are usually held.
Just sayin

Jay Cunningham
02-07-09, 06:51
This forum designates a very choice few members with the title of Industry Professional or Subject Matter Expert. These are individuals who have extensive first hand experience with the deployment of small arms, execution of proper tactics, or development of the past or current military weapons platforms. Generally speaking, they are well compensated for the information that they provide; and providing information on a free internet forum is a service to us all. Often in an internet forum other posters may not recognize the individual behind certain screen names or have checked their screen name bio. These titles are a helpful tool for a viewer to identify such individuals. You are welcome to disagree with their opinion (debate is one of the best ways to fully understand and exchange information), but please take a moment to recognize where their experience and information comes from.

trunkmonkey
02-07-09, 09:06
What is it with everybody getting all pouty when a statement is challenged by somebody with a blue or yellow name? I'm not some close-minded argumentitive dick-head, please don't treat me as one.
I was simply prodding for something more detailed to outline your thoughts.
I was not being confrontational, hell, I didn't even say that you were wrong.
With a statement as simple as "nothing", there was no indication that you were even talking about iron sights (though I can agree that they should be considered a requirement).

For what it's worth, I agree with much of what you are saying, except that I don't really think that a rail is all that important, given that there are viable alternate options for light mounting. I also abhor the phrase "instinctive shooting", but that is a topic for another thread.

ETA- I also think that the OP would do well by reading the Optics Sub-Forum, which is where these type of discussions are usually held.
Just sayin

Right on, I agree with you. no pouting here.

moving forward.

I'd think that by me saying "nothing" we'd all assume iron sights. But I understand
not all would take it that way for some reason.

I don't think a rail is all that important either if just mounting a light. It just makes things alot easier when the guy wants to start adding other things down the road.

yes I do think "instinctive shooting" is for another thread. And also way beyond what the OP is capable of at this time.

hell in the end it doesn't get more numb nuts proof than a red dot........bang