PDA

View Full Version : C Products teflon coated mags...any good?

OH58D
02-06-09, 20:41
I see a local gun store has a pile of black teflon coated C Products thirty-round mags with an orange follower (looks like a copy of the magpul follower). What's the word on these magazines?

OH58D

Locoweed
02-06-09, 21:03
I've heard they're very good and I hope so because I bought 15 thirty round mags and 5 twenty round mags. I havn't had a chance to test them yet on the range. They appear to be of very high quality.

Gutshot John
02-06-09, 21:11
I have a few and I've had no problems, but I'm not sure it's a representative sample.

I wouldn't pay a premium or anything so the answer depends on how much they're asking.

Mikey
02-06-09, 21:15
I have 11 CProducts mags.

They have been nothing but reliable with no feed issues at all.

-Mike

Locoweed
02-06-09, 22:03
Gutshot -- the 30 rd stainless are going for $12.95 on the C Products on-line store. They were in stock as of earlier today.

Shihan
02-07-09, 02:04
The C prod makes are touch and go. They had a very bad QC prob but hopefully that was corrected.

Failure2Stop
02-07-09, 04:51
I see a local gun store has a pile of black teflon coated C Products thirty-round mags with an orange follower (looks like a copy of the magpul follower). What's the word on these magazines?

OH58D

I personally steer clear of CProducts. Their failure rates have been too high for my liking. That is not to say that every CProducts magazine is bad, but I would rather not have to send back 1/4 of my order. If it's a local shop at a good price it's hard to argue against though.

If I were going to buy aluminum mags I would go with one of these-
Bravo Company Mags (D&H) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30.htm)
Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21225&title=AR-15/M16%2020-%20&%2030-ROUND%20MAGAZINES)

rob_s
02-07-09, 06:19
Unless the CP are the only thing available and you need mags right now, I'd avoid them. There is no good reason to spend money on something that *might* be good when the D&H/BCM and Brownells magazines are proven performers from companies with good track records and good people running them.

If they're offering the CP garbage at <$10, I might consider them, but make sure you extensively test each and every one before relying on them for any kind of critical use.

GaryXD
02-07-09, 07:07
The failure rate on the CP mags I bought was 12 out of 30. That makes the 18 good ones VERY expensive.

Locoweed
02-07-09, 07:32
Have your failures been with their aluminum or stainless steel magazines? They sell both.

SingleStacker45
02-07-09, 07:41
Unless the CP are the only thing available and you need mags right now, I'd avoid them. There is no good reason to spend money on something that *might* be good when the D&H/BCM and Brownells magazines are proven performers from companies with good track records and good people running them.

If they're offering the CP garbage at <$10, I might consider them, but make sure you extensively test each and every one before relying on them for any kind of critical use.

are these the D&H you refe to?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30mf.htm

Should I just wait for some more PMags? And how about the L5's . I have a few that seem to be working well.

Thanks,

Mule

rob_s
02-07-09, 07:59
Have your failures been with their aluminum or stainless steel magazines? They sell both.
I have had problems with the stainless, aluminum, 9MM, AND the crap service from the company in dealing with any and all of these problems.

rob_s
02-07-09, 08:01
are these the D&H you refe to?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30mf.htm
Exactly them. They are, or were, available with the regular GI green follower for $2+/- less as well.

I haven't used the Lancer magazines enough to have an opinion on them. I have two that are entering my training rotation and we'll see how they do.

markm
02-07-09, 08:23
Here's what I wrote about them on silencertalk.com.

I wouldn't take CPROD mags for free. Their QC problems aren't worth it to me. Mags are too important to risk buying from an operation like Cprod.

Just go look at their industry forum on ARF. I did the other day, and counted four or five threads one page one about returning mags, where to ship them back, where are my replacements, etc.

That Larry is an ASS too. He attacks anyone who points out the QC problems they've had, and acts as though you are lying if you bring it up.

F them and their junk mags!

I have about as much respect for Cprod as I do Olympic arms.

Jay Cunningham
02-07-09, 08:25
I have 10 CProducts black, teflon-coated stainless steel 5.45mm magazines. But that is because I have no choice.

Personally I only consider Okay, NHMTG and Colt (all the same mfgr.) as true "mil-spec" magazines.

threefeathers
02-07-09, 08:30
I just got 6 of the Teflon, I like them and Larry is a square dealer.

markm
02-07-09, 08:52
I just got 6 of the Teflon, I like them and Larry is a square dealer.

Larry is a joke. I've personally had it out with him on TOS over his revisions of history. He has selective memory on his many bad mag runs, and goes into instant attack mode on anyone who points out the FACTS. The loud mouth will back away when you start hitting him with facts though.

But the only thing you really need to do is go read through his industry forum and see the problems for yourself.

I would never support a clown operation like Cprod.

GaryXD
02-07-09, 10:38

both of them

OH58D
02-07-09, 10:45
Wow, there are some strong opinions out there on these mags. Here's what I did. I bought one of those C Products mags (black teflon with the orange follower). I am going to switch out the follower and install a Magpul Gen III follower and run it for a while and see what happens. I paid $15.99 for the mag and the fit and finish looks excellent. I have yet to insert it in any of my five ARs (some going back to 1988 vintage) and we'll see how it works, including drop free testing.

OH58D

maximus83
02-07-09, 14:31
I have 11 CProducts mags.

They have been nothing but reliable with no feed issues at all.

-Mike

Ditto. I have 10 of them I think, and not a single issue.

Added: Although today when I buy mags and have a choice, I've become a convert either to the Pmags when available, or standard USGI. I haven't bought any C Products for a while now.

GLOCKMASTER
02-07-09, 15:05
The first few C Products mags that that I came in contact with seemed GTG. However I through with them now. We ended up with 500 of them by contract and we have had a lot of problems with them. The biggest problem has been the tubes have been out of spec to the point where they either will not seat or will not drop free.

YMMV.....

Jay Cunningham
02-07-09, 15:26
A MagPul follower is not going to help if the follower binds in the magazine, nor will it help if the welded seam down the back splits prematurely.

GHILLIE
02-07-09, 16:07
I have 10 SS mags, and 10 aluminum mags from CProducts. I have had no major issues with any of them. My 6 most used range mags are CProducts with Magpul followers.

ST911
02-07-09, 18:59
I've had two dozen CP SS mags for a little more than two years. These are the original "marlube", not teflon. They've performed well and I've been quite happy with them.

The SS and aluminum manufactured more recently are worthy of scrutiny on arrival. A batch of aluminum 30rd mags that went to some folks had about 1/3 reject rate for reasons of fit.

kingc
02-07-09, 19:51
I've had bad experiences with the circus.

Bimmer
02-08-09, 12:09
My own small sampling...

I've got a couple 10-round C-Product magazines with grey MagPul followers.

I've had no problems. I'm planning to buy more.

mgobel
02-11-09, 10:08
I have 15 stainless and 20 Marlube C Products Mags. No issues.

Mark

markm
02-11-09, 10:32
There's people with Olympic ARms guns that actually run... DPMS too. We're getting into the ARFCOM mentality.

Just because there's guys out there with functional Cprod mags doesn't make them an acceptable option for someone who wants the best mag he can get for the money.

There's a handful of mag brands that the smart shooter just avoids. Cprod, Sanchez, and Cooper for example. Sure there are some good examples from each of those bottom feeders. But I don't have any interest in figuring out which are good and which are bad when I could simply buy some OKAY mags and be done with it.