PDA

View Full Version : MGI Hydra

gringle84
12-06-06, 08:32
Since getting the bug of AR shooting and doing lots of thinking about multi-caliber setups and reading about MGI's Hydra's Modular Weapons System has got me thinking this could be what I'm looking for.

I shoot a lot of 7.62x39 and now am starting to shoot 5.56x45, instead of getting a bunch of different uppers and since I want to shoot .22lr at some point the MGI system sounds promising.

Has anyone had experience with the MGI system, the (QCB) upper etc....what's your take on the quality, reliability etc....

Thanks
Robert

twl
12-06-06, 09:56
Hi Robert,

I'm the factory sales rep, and I can tell you that there are only a few hundred units out there right now, so you may or may not get much response on this question.

I'm not here to throw out any sales pitch, so I'll only address the issue that all the magazine articles published have shown perfect reliability and functional success in their testing and reports in 5.56 and 7.62x39 variations that they wrote about. I don't think you'll experience any problems, and if something does come up, I'll be available to help you out and support the product for you.

Others will be able to give their personal take on the new MGI Hydra system, and I'll check in from time to time to provide answers to any technical questions that may pop up, if that's needed.

Also, please feel free to contact me by phone or email if you want to have a discussion about the system with me.

gringle84
12-06-06, 15:51
Hi TWL,

Great to have you here, I've been reading most of the reviews and it looks very promising and I've been kind of drooling over all the options this system gives.

Will you be offering any type of package deals for like 2 calibers, etc.....?

What I'm looking to start with would be something like this;
2 barrels threaded 16" chromed lined with BCG for 5.56x45 & 7.62x39
QCB upper receiver
Completed Lower (semi-auto) with both AK & AR magazine well

I would add my own muzzle break unless you have options on those. I was looking at the "DNTC" comp for the AR and the "J-TAC47" for the AK, both from AK Concepts Inc.

The wife wanted to know if you'll be adding a .243 add on down the road, that's her favorite caliber and she said that she will let be buy the Hydra if you do....lol......That's OK, I'll just sell the Harley, haven't rode much due to a foot surgery and shooting is easier on my disability.

Do you having any dealers in the Phoenix, Arizona area? I'm really looking forward to adding the MGI system to my inventory. Feel free to pm me and I'll send my email Addy and see what we can work out.

Thanks for your time!

Robert

twl
12-06-06, 17:35
Hi!

All the items you are interested in should be in stock next week.
We just got in a large shipment of QCB uppers, and the next shipment of lowers and AK magwells are due any day now.

We have found that even though our AK47 magwell is designed for the AK47 mags, some of the AK74 mags can fit in. I don't have any details on which 74 mags will go in right now, though. I have heard this from some customers who tried it. We do have an AK74 magwell under development for that specific use.

The only hang-up I see is with the chrome-lined barrels in those calibers, because I don't know of anybody making chrome-lined 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 barrels at this time. Maybe we can get some made for you.

Regarding the muzzle devices, those ones you mentioned will work fine, as well as many other available ones.

For the .243, we are still working on the development of that caliber conversion kit for those size cartridges, and it is nowhere near ready yet. I cannot say when it will be ready, so I always recommend making any purchasing decisions based on what we have available at the time you make the purchase. We like to give insight as to what we are working on for the future, but things can arise which might result in a project being shelved, and we don't want to disappoint.

Right now, we only sell factory-direct, but we have made contact with some dealers in the Phoenix area which may take on our line when we make the move to dealer distribution, and we are wide-open to speaking with anyone interested in being a dealer when the time comes.

gringle84
12-06-06, 19:23
TWL,

Thanks for the answer, since I don't have an FFL. lic. I'll have to find a local dealer for the lower who doesn't charger an arm n leg for the transfer. Are the extra mag wells through a dealer too? The rest I guess through your website.

I'm more interested in 5.56 (223) & 7.62x39 for now with the appropriate bolt and carrier group with the barrels.

The Harley goes on sale next week and I feel a Hydra coming my way soon:D

Thanks again.

Robert

twl
12-06-06, 20:26
That sounds like a plan!

Please do the ordering thru me, as it is my job to take the internet orders.
The web-store is still under construction, and is not fully reliable right now.
All the "quantities in stock" numbers are wrong, and the shipping doesn't calculate correctly.
The number to call for questions or orders is 423-746-9019, and that number goes right to my desk.

Thanks,
Tom Lyons
MGI

gringle84
12-07-06, 21:34
Tom,

Sounds good and got your number in my file. I'll give you a call sometime after the first of the year and get things rollings.

Thanks for the quick response to my questions. Now it's my turn to collect and inventory all my extra parts for the Harley and get her sold to a good new owner.

Thanks again!

Robert

twl
12-08-06, 07:33
Cool!
Looking forward to speaking with you.

BTW, I neglected to mention in my last reply that the modular lower is serialized on the rear portion, so all the magwells and accessories don't require any FFL interaction, and can be sent right to your home. Just the initial purchase of the receiver needs FFL transfer.