PDA

View Full Version : Kimber custom tactical II

A_shizzle
02-07-09, 13:59
Im trying to find a good 1911. This will be my first one and the kimber custom tactical II has caught me eye. looks like a solid product and retails around 1200. Anyone with experience with this firearm? Thanks for any input. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/tactical/tactical_custom_II/

theJanitor
02-07-09, 14:29
at the $1200 dollar mark, i would look for a used:

Baer TR
Springer TRP
Kimber Warrior

$1200 is a hard price point to work in, you can find good used 1991's here, but your several hundred dollars short of a new Baer, Wilson, etc. and you're quite a bit higher than mil-specs, or springer loaded models.

What are you going to use it for?

A_shizzle
02-07-09, 14:53
It would be mainly for home defense and range use. But i might try ccw with and see how that works out. I can work alittle both ways with the price. I just dont know much about 1911s so i dont know how that would compare to a wilson or les baer etc.

akviper
02-07-09, 16:57
You can hit the 10-8 forum or the 1911 forum to get information about the Kimbers. The general direction is that they have a lot of problems. There are better guns for the money. If you can find an older series 1 gun the owners seemed pretty satisfied.

MeanRider
02-07-09, 18:58
I own the Kimber Tactical and never had any problems but I would look into Springfield Armory, Can get one a lot cheaper than a Kimber and then you can figure out what you like and dislike withouthout spending the big bucks.

Batt 57
02-07-09, 20:41
I also have a Tactical II.... I have 10K rounds through it. Have done spring changes, replaced the grip panels and changed out the FLGR for a GI size rod.

I got the gun for $750 from a dealer who's customer returned because it was jamming. He must have been limp wristing because it has run fine for me.

Molon
02-07-09, 21:54
I own a couple of “high-end” 1911s, a Wilson Combat and an STI, as well as a couple of Kimbers. The Wilson chokes on Federal 185 grain Gold Medal ammunition and the STI not infrequently fails to lock back after the last round. The Kimbers however run like the Eveready Energizer Bunny.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/nqu0buteqq.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ijg7ff3gfv.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/qz53vknqma.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/us8ah8mtty.jpg

LDM
02-08-09, 08:23
I have a Kimber Custom that has been extensively customized.

The Kimber frame, slide and barrel are all solid, but the Swartz safety and MIM components are things that folks who are way more knowledgeable than I will tell you to avoid if you have the choice.

That said... if I were buying new today, I'd get a stock standard Springfield mil-spec and at least have a basic reliability package and replacement of ejection & fire control components (i.e. tool steel hammer, sear, extractor, etc.) done by one of many fine 1911 gunsmiths. Such a weapon would end up in your price range and be bombproof.

Stay safe.

HK45
02-08-09, 11:11
For less than that you can get a Dan Wesson Valor which is a much better pistol with much better parts and customer service. Or a Springfield MC Operator. The Kimber is not even close to either of those choices.

Triton28
02-09-09, 21:31
If this is like other forums, you've just swatted a hornet's nest! :)

A Kimber should not be compared to a Wilson, Les Baer, or Ed Brown... all three being semi-custom makers.

As with anything with a brand name, Kimber has it's fanboy's and it's haters. I happen to own a Custom II and an Ultra CDP and both have been nearly flawless (the CDP is picky about ammo, though).

I've never dealt with Kimber's CS dept., so I can't speak personally, but you'll likely find again that some have had wonderful experiences and others are hopping mad. Those that have had bad experiences seem to have dealt with the same few people in Yonkers, if that means anything.

For my money, a well made 1911, no matter the brand, is one of the sweetest machines man ever created. Good luck.

trio
02-09-09, 23:30
imho, for just a little more than your price point, you can get a used semi custom gun and get a much better gun...

most, if not all, of the mainstream semi custom gun makes stand by their product regardless of the number of times its changed hands

most of the used semi customs you will see have between 500-2000 rounds through them...thats barely getting warmed up for a quality 1911...essentially you will be getting a gun that someone else broke in for you

and you can find them for in the $1300-1400 range....many times less....in the last week i have seen a used TRS and a RRA Basic Carry on various boards for in the $1400....either of those guns, even used, is a much better investment than any of the "production" 1911s...be it a springfield TRP, Kimber, or Dan Wesson pointman or CBob

if you are insistent on purchasing new, my first recommendation would be a Dan Wesson Valor...having heard how they make these things they are borderline semi-custom as it is....and for cheaper

1911pro
02-15-09, 21:26
I have a Springfield Pro and two Kimber Series II guns (one an ultra carry and the other a compact stainless). I would not stake my life on the Kimbers because both have feeding issues now and then, no matter what mags you are using. It would take a couple hundred dollar trip to the gunsmith to make them right. My Pro has not had a problem after a break in of about 2500rds. Is you are serious about a 1911 figure on at least $1500.00 for a Baer TRS and $2000.00 up for a Wilson or Springfield Custom shop gun. Anything less is hit or miss.

SchroederUSMC
02-18-09, 02:38
Hello A_shizzle,

I picked up a Kimber 1911 Tactical II for $1000 even two years ago. It was a good purchase when I got it and has not let me down.

Take care to buy good magazines with a large bumper pad because the extended mag well is kinda deep and it is hard to seat the magazine. I have had problems some good name brand 8 round magazines that it didn't like so well and no problems with some generic 7 rounders.

I do like that the aluminum frame makes the weapon very light for carry purposes. However, you will notice more recoil compared to a slightly heavier steel framed model. Also, for concealed carry, you may want a carry melt treatment (rounded edges etc) and not want the extended mag well.

Like many others, I learned a lot about 1911s after my first purchase. If I were to buy another, I might look at the Kimber Gold Combat, Springfield Operator, or a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup that has been inspected by a trusted armorer.

Rob
1*

Gratuitous Pic:
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1979&stc=1&d=1234945701