PDA

View Full Version : Glock gurus

YVK
02-07-09, 19:54
A small knowledge question: while dry-firing G19 today, I heard some rattle inside the slide that's only present after trigger has been depressed. Little fore-aft shaking brings out that rattle; it almost feels like something is moving. I don't know if this has happened before; it's possible I simply never noticed it. After racking the slide/cocking the trigger the inside commotion stops and rattle disappears. The only thing I can think of is firing pin, but I am not sure.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with it, just curious...

Heavy Metal
02-07-09, 20:04
Mine does it too.

Likely the striker sliding.

woodandsteel
02-07-09, 20:09
One thing I was taught early on, was after I cleaned my Glock, I was to check the slide by depressing the firing pin safety with my finger and shake the slide to see if the firing pin slid back and forth, freely.

I'm not a Glock Guru, but I am wondering if you are keeping the trigger depressed while doing that? That rattle may just be the firing pin sliding freely.

Deputy91
02-07-09, 20:17
yes it is the striker moving freely in the slide. It is not a bad thing.
-Mike.

gtmtnbiker98
02-07-09, 22:16
Means that your striker channel is clean, as it should be. The rattle is fine, it is when you don't hear you have a problem.

Wayne Dobbs
02-08-09, 09:57
There are three instances when you don't hear the striker moving freely in its channel: when the pistol is brand new, when the trigger bar is engaged with the striker lug (ready to fire) and when the channel is dirty. At all other times, it should be moving freely and you should be able to hear it when you shake the pistol.

YVK
02-08-09, 10:35
There are three instances when you don't hear the striker moving freely in its channel: when the pistol is brand new, when the trigger bar is engaged with the striker lug (ready to fire) and when the channel is dirty. At all other times, it should be moving freely and you should be able to hear it when you shake the pistol.

Well, that's as comprehensive as it can be!

BTW, gentlemen, in the vein of this thread's title, if anybody ever needs live demonstration how gurus run their Glocks, I suggest you go see Wayne. I do regret not asking to examine his Glock 'cause I have sneaky suspicion his is G18, not G17:D

Thanks to all for prompt help.

(Doc) YVK