PDA

View Full Version : Experience with CAA Picatinny Mag Holder

firecop019
02-07-09, 22:03
We have CAA 6 pos stocks on our patrol rifles. Chief wants to get mag couplers for the 20 round magazines we have. I'm not sure that I want to do that, I can forsee the feed lips getting bent. I was wondering if anyone has used the CAA picatinny mag holder. Those stocks have a small rail that this mag holder will fit. I haven't seen one of the mag holders in person so I don't know if they'll even work with the 20 round mags we use.

Also I looked at the redimag, and I liked it but the price takes it out. We do everything on the cheap and I'm really surprised we aren't using duct tape.

Any help would be appreciated

Iraqgunz
02-08-09, 05:47
firecop,

Are these actual rifles or carbines? You may want to consider something that mounts to the buttstock. Just my opinion, because I am not a big fan of Redi-mags and other similar items. Are you guys limited to 20 rd mags by the Dept.?

ROADKING
02-08-09, 09:30
They have the 6 position stock so i assume they have carbines. I have used the caa products i have a caa cheek rest on my smith and i love it, verry durable and feels great dont need anything more. In my opinion everything i saw made by caa has been very durable. I also have the G96 CAA grip and love it they are made extreamly well very happy.

LOKNLOD
02-08-09, 09:35
firecop,

Are these actual rifles or carbines? You may want to consider something that mounts to the buttstock. Just my opinion, because I am not a big fan of Redi-mags and other similar items. Are you guys limited to 20 rd mags by the Dept.?

I think he's already considering mounting the rail mount mag holder on the little section of rail that CAA puts on their carbine stocks - which they already have installed on their patrol rifles.

Iraqgunz
02-08-09, 09:59
Missed that part. I was thinking more of a pouch type thing.

I think he's already considering mounting the rail mount mag holder on the little section of rail that CAA puts on their carbine stocks - which they already have installed on their patrol rifles.

5pins
02-08-09, 14:28
If your chief ends up going with mag couplers stay away from the plastic ones from CAA. You can’t tighten them down enough to keep the mags from slipping. I had one and the first time I dropped it on the ground it broke.

ROADKING
02-08-09, 15:17
I agree with that. I picked up some steel ones at a gun show that you tighten with a screwdriver and there real tight. they cost 6.00.

firecop019
02-08-09, 19:43
The rifles are actually the full size Colt M16's that have been converted to semi auto. We have a couple of smaller framed shooters (one of them being me) so I fought for the collapsible stocks. He decided that he liked the CAA's and bought those. We are all pretty happy with them. They fit in the cars so much nicer too. But I digress....

I saw that CAA had a mag holder that would slide right onto the rail. I'm just worried that the 20's won't stick out far enough to get a hold of. I was hoping someone had one and could tell me before I made the suggestion to the chief.

We can have 30 round mags, but they have to be purchased by the officer. The department only purchases 20 rounders.

dirksterg30
02-09-09, 14:31
firecop,
You may want to consider something that mounts to the buttstock.

This would be my preference as well. I'm looking at something like this: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/stockmagpouch-1.aspx

Darkop
02-09-09, 19:19
The rifles are actually the full size Colt M16's that have been converted to semi auto. We have a couple of smaller framed shooters (one of them being me) so I fought for the collapsible stocks. He decided that he liked the CAA's and bought those. We are all pretty happy with them. They fit in the cars so much nicer too. But I digress....

I saw that CAA had a mag holder that would slide right onto the rail. I'm just worried that the 20's won't stick out far enough to get a hold of. I was hoping someone had one and could tell me before I made the suggestion to the chief.

We can have 30 round mags, but they have to be purchased by the officer. The department only purchases 20 rounders.

I tried the CAA plastic mag pouch on the small rail on the CAA stock. I could never get the mag to stay in the pouch. It kept falling out under recoil. I like the stock, have had one on a colt 6920 for years and beat the hell out of it. I also like the way it sticks to nylon gear so well. But as far as the pouch goes it's pretty much junk and you will loose the mag in the most inopertune time.

until that day,
Darkop

gogetal3
02-09-09, 19:37
If your chief ends up going with mag couplers stay away from the plastic ones from CAA. You can’t tighten them down enough to keep the mags from slipping. I had one and the first time I dropped it on the ground it broke.

I tried the foregrip flashligh holder combo and same deal, ended up cracking it because I couldn't tighten in enough to hold the G2 in place. So CAA gets a crap vote from me

BigRed
02-09-09, 23:50
Personally I think the CAA stuff is junk. Just get a Redimag and be done with it.

ROADKING
02-10-09, 03:37
I have the cheek rest and grip and love that but i can only speek for those items.

Patrick Henry
02-10-09, 08:36
I tried the foregrip flashligh holder combo and same deal, ended up cracking it because I couldn't tighten in enough to hold the G2 in place. So CAA gets a crap vote from me

Had the same problem. Try putting a piece of tubing on the G2 so the VFG has something to grab. The Nitrolon on the G2 is a little slick.

gogetal3
02-10-09, 15:48
Had the same problem. Try putting a piece of tubing on the G2 so the VFG has something to grab. The Nitrolon on the G2 is a little slick.

I tried using electrical tape......but got fed up with it. I mean a product should do what it was designed to do with out altering it or the parts compatible with it!!:mad: besides I tightened the nut so much that I split the polymer. Oh well :rolleyes: It was cheap enough that I don't care.....Cheap being the focal point. maybe i'll take my dremel to it :D I bought a spikes tactical foregrip. custom made by them and I've never looked back......it has a graphite feel to it and is ROCK solid!! But to stay on track, SOON as I could I bought the VLTOR EMOD to replace my CAA saddle stock. Served its purpose though.

firecop019
02-10-09, 16:55
We have a guns show coming up here next weekend, I think we'll see if we can find a metal mag coupler for a decent price and try it. My coworker looked at the mounts we have in our impalas and said that a buttstock probably wouldn't fit in the holder that's mounted on the floor with the buttstock pouches.

The redi-mag is too expensive for the department guns but I'm going to tell those who have personal rifles about it. Maybe if one of them get it and it works well the Chief may consider it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.