PDA

View Full Version : Essential Arms Lowers - review

number9xd
02-07-09, 22:32
Well, as I posted in another thread, a few weeks ago I ordered 3 EA lowers to build identical AR's for myself and my two toddler sons. I figure by the time they get grown (and they won't get them until the are grown) the AR could very likely be long since banned and it'd be cool for them to have a piece of firearms history. I think all 3 of us having identical AR's with sequential serial #'s would be extra special, cool, sentimental, whatever.

I recently bought a new Double Star DS-4 carbine and really like the VERY nice roll marks on the lower and they are only 25min from where we live so seeing the Winchester, KY on the side makes a good ol' KY boy proud too. I tried to find DSC lowers, but they weren't out there - at a reasonable price or time frame with the sequential serial #'s - that I could find anyway. I seen many good reports on several forums about the EA lowers and their good availability so I ordered 3 in the Tough Coat finish, which is baked on over top of the hard anodizing from what I understand.

The lowers came in this week and I was pleased to see they look very nice. They are absent of any mold flash. They don't have the molding ridge along the center line of the trigger housing like my DSC has, but they do have some light tooling marks in there but the finish hides them well and you have to get right down on the area to notice. They have a nice smooth radius on the underside of the buffer extension and only a minimal trace of a tool chatter mark on the underside of the front take down pin bosses. The roll marks text is a little light on a letter here and there and the FIRE and SAFE on the right side of the lower is not as deep as the left side of the lower - this is common on all 3 of the lowers I got. The roll marks don't look bad by any means, just don't look as good as the VERY nice, deep, sharp text on the DSC lower.

I have some background in machining, CNC programming and CMM programming so I understand a little bit about how to layout and measure a part for dimensional accuracy. Having said that, I only have a set of digital calipers and micrometer at home - a surface plate and height gauge or even a small CMM in the garage would be sweet, but not very practical for me. The calipers work good enough to make due.

Going off a lower blueprint I found online, I checked every dimension I could with the tools I have and found the lowers to be in spec. The exception being the trigger slot width being .002" over spec, the width between the front takedown bosses .002" over spec, the rear takedown detent hole .004" over spec, on 2 of the lowers the distance from the front takedown pin hole to the hammer pin hole was .0007" under spec and on the other lower the distance from the trigger pin hole to the fire selector hole was .001" under spec. These measurements between holes were taken using the standard pins that come in a LPK, so that really doesn't concern me a great deal since the pin/hole fit is not a press fit and has some "slop" or tolerance built in.

***EDITED*** To better explain what I mean by the hole locations being "out of spec" as I measured them. I re-read my post this morning and can see how someone could be left with misunderstanding what I meant by saying the the hole locations being out of spec by .0007" and .001" didn't concern me a great deal. (when measuring with calipers and LPK pins)

The Trigger and Hammer pin holes have a spec of .156" +/-.0015".
These holes in the lowers I have measured .1565" on 2 lowers and .157" on the other lower.
The Trigger and Hammer pins that I was using out of a Double Star LPK measure .154".

**So, with the .154" pin in the holes .157" in diameter, the pin would have been pulled off-center in the hole .0015" while I was "pulling" on it and the front takedown pin with the calipers to measure the distance between them. Factoring in the true pin size and true hole size and adding that difference back on top of the measured distance between the two pins, the true center-center hole measurement would be "in-spec" per the lower print. I guess it is my fault for not explaining this in the begining, or I should have just said they are in-spec and could have avoided some possible confusion.

Now I am not saying these are "top-shelf" or "THE" best lowers on the market or anything remotely like that. Just that, IMO, they appear to be very well made lowers. Having said that, understand that at this point these EA lowers and my DSC lower are the only ones I have ever had in my hands and my eyeballs on. So, take that and these pics with that in mind.

Now I just gotta pick up some BCM middies to put on these suckers :D

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_009.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_008.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_005.jpg

Left side
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_006.jpg

Right side
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_007.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_013.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/EA_010.jpg

bkb0000
02-07-09, 23:28
Now I am not saying these are "top-shelf" or "THE" best lowers on the market or anything remotely like that. Just that, IMO, they appear to be very well made lowers.

they dont get too much better than that, but do get a hell of a lot worse. update us when you install the LPK, if you would. i've placed bids on many EA lowers on gun broker, but never more than 130. some have even been won at like 135- i'd probably be inclined to up my max bid after seeing your review here.

number9xd
02-07-09, 23:36
I got these straight from EA at $105 with the TC finish. Ordered on 1-19 and picked up from my FFL yesterday. Unless they have raised their prices since then......?

bkb0000
02-07-09, 23:41
I got these straight from EA at $105 with the TC finish. Ordered on 1-19 and picked up from my FFL yesterday. Unless they have raised their prices since then......?

neg- i never explored that option. good lookin out, i just might place an order.

number9xd
02-07-09, 23:44
If ya do, ya gotta call first thing in the morning when they get in to get through on the phone. May have to try 5 or 10 times.

apb2772
02-08-09, 00:21
I myself bought 13 of these back when they were $76 a pop. I really like them.

All but one were GTG. The only issue that I had with the one was the rear take-down pin detent hole was drilled "undersized". After a few careful moments with a hand held drill and the appropriate bit everything was ready to roll. They were all finished nicely and the optional colored coatings are of good quality also.

Some time here in the future I might buy a few more if I cannot find some "Mega" Brand lowers for a comparable price..

They were a real steal back at $76 a pop, and I would/will still buy them at $105 each...

--->APB

PS:

One thing I did notice was that when trying to use P-Mags I could never get the mags to lock in without altering them a bit. They would just barely almost lock in, but the raised rib like features on the P-mags would contact/stick in the bottom of the magwell and prevent further insertion of the mag. After some rotary sanding on the mags they inserted, locked in , and dropped free just fine..

medicman29
02-08-09, 12:22
I currently have 3 of these built, and have been very happy with them so far, especially since I paid 85.00 each for them shipped. They have gone together as well as any of my stag lowers, way better than the oly I had (note, "had"), and better than the superiors i helped my buddy put together. 4 of the guys I work with have them also, and I either helped or put them together as well. They lock up tight with my LMT and CMMG uppers, and am waiting on a BCM middy to replace a bushy upper I have on one. I am probably going to put another order in soon. These are still a very good value at this price point.

Jeff

Hersh
02-08-09, 18:07
A friend just received three last week, one of which has my name on it. Now if I can decide what to build.

chadweasel
02-08-09, 21:18
I ordered 1 about a week and a half ago. It took 2 faxes and about 50 phone calls to get through. I can't wait. They said 2-3 weeks before they would ship. I had a complete upper sitting around that I was thinking about selling then thought what the hell, I'll make it a complete. I will post pics and comments when it arrives.

murphy j
02-08-09, 21:52
I just went to their homepage and checked them out. They're still listing the stripped lowers for $105.

K9-Bob
02-09-09, 03:22
I just went to their homepage and checked them out. They're still listing the stripped lowers for $105.

Essential has high an low shelf lowers. They also have anodized and ones with their "tough coat" finish. I've build a number of them since the election and have found them all to be in spec and issue free.

Getting them by telephone has been a bit of a challenge. I needed to dial the number 37 times to get through to them.

Otis
02-09-09, 10:44
I've been reading about these for a while, you guys pushed me over the edge. The product in the photos at the top of the thread remind me of my Spike's lower, only a helluva lot less expensive.

So I called this morning and ordered three. I have a BCM 16" M4 upper arriving tomorrow, and I am hoping to pick up a BCM middy when they become available. The third one? I'm sure something will come up.

Jdrimm
02-11-09, 14:39
I just called, 1515hrs eastern. I got right trough, orederd two basic hard anodized for $100 each. With credit card surcharge and shipping to my FFL, $222.00. They said they'll ship within two weeks.

This is my first post, is there an intro thread I need to post in?

rodinal220
02-11-09, 18:54
I have used EA receivers for years.The original ones were investment cast and had a "rougher" finish,almost like a sandblasted surface,but were GTG.The new forged ones have a smooth finish and are pretty nice.I only had one that had the rear receiver extension threads slightly out of spec and were easily cleaned up with a quick thread chase.

wesprt
02-11-09, 22:18
Did my first build with an EA lower, everything went in place like it was supposed to and stayed there. One of the best values in lowers

k_cheerangie
02-12-09, 14:43
I read through and did not see it, but are these lowers to mil-spec dimensions or commercial dimensions.

number9xd
02-12-09, 18:52
I read through and did not see it, but are these lowers to mil-spec dimensions or commercial dimensions.

What's the differences between a mil-spec dimension or commercial dimension lower?

This is the print I compared these lowers to......

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/lowerBlueprint.pdf

Kaos
02-12-09, 19:00
What's the differences between a mil-spec dimension or commercial dimension lower?

This is the print I compared these lowers to......

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/lowerBlueprint.pdf

Which is based off a 93 colt lower, it's what I check my lowers against as well.
Surprisingly...I have a DPMS lower that matches up pretty close in most aspects (.001 in most cases).

k_cheerangie
02-12-09, 19:40
I was thinking the main issue might be with the trigger pin dimensions thats why I was mainly asking, I thought it might sort of restrict someones selection in aftermarket triggers. :confused:

bkb0000
02-13-09, 21:51
I just called, 1515hrs eastern. I got right trough, orederd two basic hard anodized for $100 each. With credit card surcharge and shipping to my FFL, $222.00. They said they'll ship within two weeks.

This is my first post, is there an intro thread I need to post in?

you're one of four people whose first post is in this thread.. odd.

you can introduce yourself in a seperate thread and tell us about yourself, or you can just start pontificating straight off the bat like everyone else :)

welcome to M4C

macomb8
02-14-09, 15:59
I have a black Tough coat and standard anodized lower. If you have a standard anodized upper such as Bushmaster, CMT, LMT, or Stag, pass on the Tough Coat. The standard anodized matches perfect with those brands. The anodized is actually a deeper black. The Tough Coat is a slightly lighter shade of black that you can notice outside in the sun.
Overall, the Essential Arms is equal to any big name lower in fit and finish.

Jdrimm
02-14-09, 21:46
you're one of four people whose first post is in this thread.. odd.

you can introduce yourself in a seperate thread and tell us about yourself, or you can just start pontificating straight off the bat like everyone else :)

welcome to M4C

I usually wind up in the middle of whatever oddities happen in my vicinity! Glad to be aboard, I was getting back into TOS, and remembering why I left it in the first place.

OldNavyGuy
02-15-09, 09:16
they dont get too much better than that, but do get a hell of a lot worse. update us when you install the LPK, if you would. i've placed bids on many EA lowers on gun broker, but never more than 130. some have even been won at like 135- i'd probably be inclined to up my max bid after seeing your review here.

why don't you just call Essential like i did and order them straight from their web site, i just ordered 3 of them, $105.00 each, talked to one of the owners and he will send me three in sequential numbers.

why bid ??????????? :confused:

CaptainDooley
03-30-09, 15:50
Called up Essential this morning. They picked up on the first try. They're out of normal anondized (and LPK's unfortunately), but I got a Tough Coat on order... should be here in a couple of weeks.

Jdrimm
03-31-09, 07:07
I fogot all about this thread. I had an unxpected chance to attend RC BNCOC phase 1, so my two lowers came in while I was gone.

I just finished assembly last night, with a no-name LPK I had handy. All parts fit without issue. The only problem was a slight "bump" in the area where the takedown pin passes through, it made the upper too tight. Two minutes with a file fixed that, and all else is GTG. The finish (I got standard anodized) is a good match to my upper, and all the threaded holes were clean and straight. Now if I can get the FSB straight on the DPMS barrel (I know,I know, but it was all I could find in 14.5!) I'll have a nice little shootin' iron.

P.S.: I used to be a machinist, so I am fairly competent to comment on the machine work in this lower. The problem I had with the takedown pin area was caused by the end mill that cut it out bouncing, they could fix it by adding a couple of zero-material removing passes to their CNC program.

dmanflynn
03-31-09, 07:37
Haha, im from KY too. I just got a Double Star "Star-15" lower and like you said it was quite impressive for not a TOP SHELF brand, even though their all about the same lol. Oh, and some intriging info, i got a buddy who runs alot of black rifles through his store and when he gets double stars in they always come from colorado not winchester, so im thinking JT distributing might be making some since every bodys buyin em up. just a little tid bit of info off the record though :D

Jdrimm
03-31-09, 21:38
Hmmm, I just realized my lowers are consecutive serial numbers. Matched pair of M4's, maybe?

dmanflynn
03-31-09, 21:46
Hmmm, I just realized my lowers are consecutive serial numbers. Matched pair of M4's, maybe?

what ive always seen, not experienced necesarily, is that when some one orders 2 or 3 lowers from the company, I.E DSC they come consecutive not always on purpose but they just grab three of the shelf in order. And you can just request consec. serials too

Jdrimm
03-31-09, 21:53
Makes sense. I have been very happy with EA, I may pick up a couple more, just to put on the shelf. I plan to one day be able to build a rifle from parts I find in the closet, like another poster here today!

cchccrowder
03-31-09, 21:57
I can attest on the Essential Arms lowers. I recently built my first AR ( its the first one ive owned as well). It was a good price and is made very well. I put on a RRA lower parts kit and it fits well and the upper i put on it.. an LMT 16" which fits great. Shoots excellently as well. I wouldnt hesitate to purchase another lower from them to build an AR.

Deadcenter45
03-31-09, 22:35
I just picked up a box of parts from EA today :D

I ordered most of a complete rifle kit:

OD Stripped Lower
LPK
OD Stripped Upper
UPK (FA & DC)
OD A2 Rifle Stock kit

The toughcoat lower isn't quite the same color as the upper ... but they fit together nicely and the machine work was top notch in my opinion.

CaptainDooley
04-23-09, 16:50
My lower arrived yesterday. The LPK went in fine (minus some operator error type mistakes)... Other than where I dinged the receiver installing the bolt catch it looks great.

I don't have a lot of experience with ARs, but the machining looks good and everything fit correctly and the lower connected to the upper with no problems, so I'm guessing that's about as good as it can get, right?

CaptainDooley
05-05-09, 21:55
Just an update... got a couple PMAGs and they drop free with no problems.

IPSC_GUY
05-20-09, 18:05
I just helped assemble a rifle on an Essential Arms lower today and I was very impressed with the fit and finish. It is every bit as nicely finished as any of my Noveske lowers. Assembly presented NO problems. All in all I am very impressed.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

medicman29
05-24-09, 02:13
Ordered 3 more at 105 each for the black toughcoat, should be here this week. BCM m4 upper will go on one, the other two, my buddies are getting, so who knows what they will put on them.

OldNavyGuy
05-25-09, 08:34
a dummiesdubble post

Paradise
02-23-12, 21:32
I just ordered a TC lower from Essential Arms for a great price at $88 and I should get it in a few days. I don't have an Upper receiver yet, so I was wondering if anyone had success in matching their upper to the lower tough coat finish. Which manufacturer is best for matching the color???

JSantoro
02-23-12, 22:35
Nearly three years since the last post...

A question about matching colors doesn't make it as a reason for a necropost, especially of that magnitude. This isn't a "fit 'n' finish" forum.