PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Detent Pin Stuck

DM-SC
02-07-09, 22:38
So I'm at the range this afternoon, helping a friend sight in his new scoped AR. I had a couple of my guns and was shooting a bit. I decided to make an elevation change to one of them. Teach me to leave well enough, alone!

Well, I depress the front sight detent pin and turn the front sight pin a half turn and removed the sight tool. The dang pin stayed depressed! :rolleyes:

I tried several times to get it to pop back up with out success. Any suggestions on how to get it to pop back up? It's a standard FSB.

I'm guessing there's a bur on either the pin or the pin hole...

Joe R.
02-07-09, 23:46
Throw some lube in there and let is sit overnight. Try to work it in a bit by pushing down on the pin gently. If that's doesn't work you may have to unscrew the front sight and remove the pin with a hemostat or fine needle nose pliers.

HAMMERDROP
02-08-09, 00:52
WD40 ... use a same diameter punch lightly on it - after a blast with some lube soaks push in & out til it gets used to it and should be good to go. Hand strength should set it free.

Michael

wlptpd3
02-08-09, 05:43
Somtimes when parkerizing some of the slag and trash is left behind in the small holes, you can try and lube the detent with the lube of your choice and work it and see if it loosens up. I had one that was so loaded with crap one time that I had to remove the front sight post and extract the detent and spring with a hemastat. With everything removed find a drill bit that fits the detent hole and work it in the hole with your fingers only, this will break up anything in the hole and usually remove it when the bit comes out. You can then flush it with the lube of your choice and reassemble. YMMV but it worked for me.

DM-SC
02-08-09, 20:09
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I had already soaked the front sight/pin with WD-40 before I got back to read the reply's. I still wasn;t able to get the pin to pop back up.

I let it sit for most of today and just tried it again. It took a bit of working the pin up and down but, it finally popped up enough for me to pull it out. The pin itself had a pretty rough bottom edge so I smoothed that out until it shined. I also used a drill bit to clean the pin hole.

Seems to be working now. :D