PDA

View Full Version : Communitarianism...

gyp_c2
02-08-09, 09:35
...heard of this?

There is little sense in gun registration. What we need to significantly enhance public safety is domestic disarmament of the kind that exists in practically all democracies. The National Rifle Association suggestion that criminals not guns kill people, ignores the fact that thousands are killed each year, many of them children, from accidental discharge of guns, and that people--whether criminal, insane, or temporarily carried away by impulse--kill and are much more likely to do so when armed than when disarmed. The Second Amendment, behind which NRA hides, is subject to a variety of interpretations, but the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled, for over a hundred years, that it does not prevent laws that bar guns. We join with those who read the Second Amendment the way it was written, as a communitarian clause, calling for community militias, not individual gun slingers.

...from here...
http://www.gwu.edu/~icps/about.html

...I stumbled on this following a link re: a speech given by Bill Clinton to the group of mayors he was addressing...
Interesting, no?
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

Sttrongbow
02-08-09, 10:15
It's irrelevent. Heller establishes that the 2bd Amendment is NOT a collective right, but an individual right. I think the "collective right" reading of the 2A is ridiculous. None of the other amendments in the Bill of Rights is a collective right. Why would THIS one be?

Low Drag
02-08-09, 10:21
Nothing new here save the term:

Communitarisanism = Collective

Same old same old.

Oh, and he's wrong on the rate of gun accidents, they've gone down over the last 3 decades. The last good work I saw on the 2nd A was from Kleck. Buckets of water and pools kill toddlers at very high rates. For children under 14, bikes.

And the USSC has not ruled repeatedly over 100 years. IIRC there have only been 2 cases. Smith and Heller.

A-Bear680
02-08-09, 10:32
Some sections of the site have not been updated since the 1990's.

John_Wayne777
02-08-09, 10:43
I'd like to see a legitimate cite for "thousands" being killed each year by accidents, especially "children".

JimmyB62
02-08-09, 12:01
I'd like to see a legitimate cite for "thousands" being killed each year by accidents, especially "children".

I've seen similar statistics in regard to "children" being the victim of gun related death. The "child" or "children" term is used to describe anyone under the age of 18, to include any and all gangsters shooting it out over a "look." While you may hear the news report the death of two 17 year old gang bangers on S Whatever street, the anti's will only tell of the death of two more innocent children.

BH1
02-08-09, 12:49
oh who needs silly old facts? they know what they "feel" and emotion trumps logic. questioning them means you don't care about the safety of children. that's just evil.

Macx
02-08-09, 15:24
Both Vice President Gore and Republican presidential candidate Governor George W. Bush have recently . ..

This quote said it all for me.

thopkins22
02-08-09, 18:54
Backyard pools should be banned. Drowning is the fourth largest cause of accidental death in the US.

http://www.poolalarms.com/pool_drowning_statistics.htm

gyp_c2
02-08-09, 22:59
...agreed to all...
What's new is that it's being quoted by Clinton to the gathering of mayors from all over the place...I'm just wondering if it's popping up in other places throughout the new kingdom...
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

thedog
02-08-09, 23:05
Unfortunately, "they" control the freaking media...:mad:

dog

mattjmcd
02-09-09, 11:08
I've seen similar statistics in regard to "children" being the victim of gun related death. The "child" or "children" term is used to describe anyone under the age of 18, to include any and all gangsters shooting it out over a "look." While you may hear the news report the death of two 17 year old gang bangers on S Whatever street, the anti's will only tell of the death of two more innocent children.

Actually, I seem to recall seeing data in which "children" up to the age of 24+ years of age are routinely aggregated with the more normally defined sample. IIRC, Larry Elder spelled this out in one of his books. His point ties in with your overarching conclusion- the anti's launder the true data on the death figures (which naturally include the gun-related deaths of violent felons etc etc) so as to grossly inflate the number of children "killed by guns".

HiggsBoson
02-09-09, 13:14

Won't you please think of the CHILDREN!?!

Seriously, though, for every anecdotal example the news or anti-gunners have, we have 10 more to counter it. Unfortunately, responsible firearm use rarely makes for sensationalist headlines.

CarlosDJackal
02-09-09, 14:30

Just read the CDC study that was done during Slick Willy's regime. Only they consider individuals who are between 18 and 21-years old as "children". :eek:

John_Wayne777
02-09-09, 14:42
Just read the CDC study that was done during Slick Willy's regime. Only they consider individuals who are between 18 and 21-years old as "children". :eek:

If you examine "gun deaths" as a whole, sure....but accidents? That's a stretch even for proven liars.

Wayne Dobbs
02-09-09, 15:16
And if I'm not mistaken, they include deaths in which the "victims" were shot by police or armed citizens while committing crimes of violence. Also included were suicides. Both of these skew the figures and distort the truth, but as we see the Left is not interested in the truth...only in what they want.

An Undocumented Worker
02-09-09, 19:22
The thing Clinton fails to realize, is that this country is not a democracy. It is a republic of soveriegn states formed into a union by a set of federal laws laid out by the constituion.

So his argument about all modern democracies outlawing guns is already invalid in that it does not apply to us. The guy seems to be seriously confused.:rolleyes: