PDA

View Full Version : Two Points of View

ToddG
02-08-09, 13:02
First, apologies if this has been posted previously. It's a fairly old video, but I don't recall seeing it on here since I joined.

The following link is to a video of a police shooting. It's filmed in real time from two different dashcams at two very different angles. It's "clear" in the first video that the officers gunned down a suspect who was not threatening them and didn't even appear armed. He was just walking slowly away when they fired repeatedly at him.

In the second video, it is also very clear exactly what happened ...

Shooting from Two Points of View (http://9x19mm.com/toddg/video/PoliceShootingFrom2Views.wmv)

SeriousStudent
02-08-09, 13:37
Honestly, this is something that has always worried me. An officer hesitating when they should employ deadly force to protect themselves and others.

I think we can thank some folks that have dorsal fins where they should have a spine. :(

I hope no good guys were wounded in either of those two videos.

Heavy Metal
02-08-09, 13:44
Todd, Linky no worky.

RWK
02-08-09, 13:47
Interesting. Three post-incident debriefing questions came right to mind after watching this:

Why didn't officer A contact shoot the guy in the head when he pointed the pistol at the second officer?
Why did officer B chase after the guy "John Wayne style", shooting one-handed and abandoning the cover of the car?
Why did officer B insist on trying to get himself shot by closing with the guy to the point of being able to touch him while officer A was still shooting?

RWK
02-08-09, 13:48
Todd, Linky no worky.

Linky worky fine. Must be you...

sjc3081
02-08-09, 13:58
If I remember correctly the perp had a cell phone and no gun. He acted like he had a gun and I would have shot that fool dead right at the beginning. Those two foolish officers put themselves at great risk because they were not willing. Luckly for them the perp only had phone. It is incomprehensible to most people how foolish these perps are, and the crazy actions they take when have the threat of DPF stuck in their face and continue to act causing their demise. Fools like this perp and the perp in the BART shooting only have themselves to blame of their deaths. As a retired NYPD police officer I have come to the conclusion that most police officers will foolishly take great risks in order to avoid shooting people. My 1st platoon squad in 1994 had 16 cops, two Sgts and 1 Lt and eight members of this squad including myself have shoot at least one person and some had shot and killed more than one perp. We where the exception. I included the previous info just to put into perspective my personal qualifications in regards to the above statements.

cobra90gt
02-10-09, 23:15
Wait til you see the third video...

"Unit 138-Armstrong.wmv"

"Unit 170-Ramsey.wmv"

"Unit 185-Hathorn.wmv"

The above were the titles of dash cam videos hosted on the Shreveport Times (LA) website some time ago after the "hyped" death of Marquise Hudspeth (think "police brutality" on par with Rodney King, since Hudspeth died).

A Google search still yields a few blurbs and articles discussing the case, videos, etc, etc...

http://www.alexanderjason.com/shreveport.htm

http://trac.syr.edu/tracatwork/articles/newsorg/shreveporttimes040314.pdf

The videos have been discussed in police circles in the past and this OIS definitely shows that each officer involved has a different point of view on scene. Hindsight is always 20/20. You may only have a second (or less) to make a life or death decision when confronting a suspect.

KevinB
02-11-09, 07:35
Hindsight is always 20/20. You may only have a second (or less) to make a life or death decision when confronting a suspect.

Words to live by.

Honu
02-14-09, 22:42
I am amazed at how many more steps he got in before he fell ?