PDA

View Full Version : Oakley Packs

Mr.Goodtimes
02-08-09, 15:08
I posted this in the equipment section but, i thought id post it here to since this area probably gets more traffic.

My girlfriend bought me an Oakley backpack for an early valentines day gift, its got a lot of pockets on it and is comfortable to wear. The model is the Icon 3.0. She knew i had been wanting a pack to put my books for school and clothes and gun stuff in for the range and hiking trips, and she saw this one at the mall. I was kind of thinking about an Eagle A-III pack though. She said if i didnt like it we can take it back and order the exact one i want... what do yall think though? is the eagle going to be a lot nicer then the oakley bag? My main complaint about the oakley back is the nylon webbing for the tightening straps isnt that thick. Unfortunately, no local dealer around here sells eagle, so i cant get an up close look. all they sell around here for tactical gear is Condor and Blackhawk stuff.

-Ryan

Dave L.
02-08-09, 15:27
I have 2 Icon packs and 2 Eagle IIIA packs. The Eagle's are much more durable and made in USA. The Icon looks cool but will not hold as much weight and will tear easily where the shoulder straps meet the top of the pack. It's made to hold 2 college books and a jacket.
For the money, the Eagle will last 10X longer and take 10X the abuse. Oh, and the flap of the Oakley bag is really annoying after a while.
Hope that helps.
Dave

USMC0351
02-08-09, 15:34
Never dealt with any Oakley packs. But if they're anything like their boots, they won't last long. The boots are like wearing bunny slippers, but they didn't last 3 weeks in Afghanistan.

Mr.Goodtimes
02-08-09, 15:38
that solves that, the oakley pack is goin back.... and the eagle pack being made in tue USA was something i really like.

Where is a good place to buy an eagle AIII pack?

madisonsfinest
02-08-09, 15:39
I have last years version the Icon 2.0. It seems nice to me, and has a dedicated laptop compartment. That being said I'm not sure how long it will hold up to metal corners, like on many ar mags when crammed into it.

apb2772
02-09-09, 00:05
LINK: http://www.warrior-gear.com/index.asp

I just bought and returned an Eagle AIII in MultiCam the other day. They are good pieces of kit. The reason that I returned mine is I also ordered a Camelbak Motherload in Multicam at the same time as the Eagle. Side by side comparison was what I wanted. The Camelbak won HANDS DOWN. Eagle makes good stuff, but the Camelbak was far and away the better piece of kit. By comparison the eagle seemed "softer", "looser", and the nylon itself was less "dense" and coarser. Also the padding was significantly better in the Camelback.

Basically it came down to this, both of the packs were of comparable internal volume, size and cost when equally equipped.

The Motherload was about $140 and it came complete with a water bladder, and insulated drinking tube..

The comparable Eagle A-III was just under $115, but did not come with a water bladder. ( I spent just at $35 for a Camelback reservoir and insulated tube to put into it).

In the end the superior quality, construction, ruggedness and value that the Camelback Motherload offered was Unbeatable.

Just My .02

--->APB

ST911
02-09-09, 16:07
n the end the superior quality, construction, ruggedness and value that the Camelback Motherload offered was Unbeatable.

Just My .02

--->APB

Interesting. Can you take some pics, particularly of the stitching, and particularly at the stress points?

My experience differs a bit. My HAWGs, MULEs, BFM, and ML have been no better than unremarkable. They've done what I asked of them if I keep it light, but they're certainly no A-III in construction. Problems include seam separation under load, broken zipper teeth, PALs channel fraying and separation, etc. Not all packs, not all the time, but still there.

Still better than the Oakley, though.

apb2772
02-09-09, 21:12
I would love to take pictures and show the differences, but I sent the Eagle pack back to the place of purchase about 10 days ago..

--->APB

ST911
02-09-09, 23:45
I would love to take pictures and show the differences, but I sent the Eagle pack back to the place of purchase about 10 days ago.. --->APB

I meant of the Camelbak. The Eagle is known-good with production consistency. The Camelbak less so.

Mung
02-10-09, 06:42
You don't want to be going to school and hiking looking all tacticool.
Get something like this and be done with it.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/j/unbranded-jansport-airlight-beamer-4-colours!.jpg