PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint M2 Experiences

lalakai
02-08-09, 21:27
Need some help. Have a chance to buy an M2 used, but won't actually get to see it until after i receive it. Supposed to be in excellent working condition. Question to others is: has anyone ever had an M2 that failed to work or just gave up the ghost?

pls share your experiences with this model. thanks.

Jay Cunningham
02-08-09, 21:29
Unless you plan on mounting it on an UltiMAK rail on an AK, I doubt you'll have any issues. I know two guys that have had M2's go down in the situation that I described.

lalakai
02-08-09, 21:38
M4 with Larue rails.

Kaos
02-08-09, 21:39
I got mine used and it's been great!

lalakai
02-08-09, 21:48
I got mine used and it's been great!

can i ask how much you paid??? if you don't feel comfortable answering, don't worry; i realize it can be a bit personal.:eek:

Kaos
02-08-09, 21:59
can i ask how much you paid??? if you don't feel comfortable answering, don't worry; i realize it can be a bit personal.:eek:

I got a hell of a deal, I traded a Romy G kit for it, in like new condition.

$125 in on my part.

El Mac
02-08-09, 22:23
M2s are fine optics. Got two.

Shotdown
02-09-09, 01:50
I got mine brand new for $260 after using the eBay (live.com) 30% off. I haven't had any issues with it.

LSK
02-09-09, 10:00
Had one on an M 4 for six years. Left on all the time. Just changed batteries every six months. Never had a single problem. I thought the dot in the new M 4 sight might be cleaner looking but to my eyes they looked the same.

lalakai
02-09-09, 11:42
thanks everyone for the info. makes it easier to buy the M2 without being able to check it out first.

Iraq Ninja
02-09-09, 13:40
I have a bunch of M2s and the original Comp M aimpoints that are routinely discarded over here for the newer stuff. The only issue I have seen is broken switches. The M2 has served our military well.

Jay Cunningham
02-09-09, 13:46
I have a bunch of M2s and the original Comp M aimpoints that are routinely discarded over here for the newer stuff. The only issue I have seen is broken switches. The M2 has served our military well.

I would take one of those "leftovers" in a heartbeat!

M4tographer
02-09-09, 13:47
I would take one of those "leftovers" in a heartbeat!

x2

After the stories my 3rd Group buddy told me about the ruggedness, I'm sold. :)

lalakai
02-09-09, 14:18

hopefully someone realizes the value in those returned M2's and they are still being utilized. If they are truly sitting on a shelf gathering dust, there must be some mechanism that could be used, to get them into eager hands. Even if you need an official letter from a Police Department requesting excess equipment; i'm sure there are many LEO's here that would gladly get such a letter from their department and get it to you ASAP. Keep us updated if this has merit. thanks.

Iraq Ninja
02-09-09, 15:14
Well, "discarded" may have been a bad choice of words on my part. I didn't mean to suggest that they are being tossed out :). The soldiers who really need optics, like the ones who spend time outside the FOBS, do get them. But, with Uncle Sam being very generous and buying lots of optics, the older ones go into storage, get issued to other units, or fall off the inventory books.

There is a gray market that exists over here, in which people who need things, can normally get them from friends who have access to them. For instance, someone may be short of 9mm ammo, and you trade em a few cases for medical supplies, etc. Its all done in the spirit of helping those who go into harms way, and don't want to be bothered by red tape or God forbid, the dreaded ITAR regulations.

A good friend of mine recently rotated back to Germany and left me with a few sets of ESAPI plates, a bunch of aimpoints, and even a PEQ 2a that he didn't have room to take back with him. They are all being used now. I am sure there is a lot of stuff I will leave behind if I ever get tired of this place, like all this ammo we got...

Back in the old days when magazines were hard to come by, we would get them from the hospitals. They took them off the wounded soldiers and put them in a big storage bin for anyone who needed em.

The M3 and M4 aimpoints are still well guarded :).

lalakai
02-09-09, 15:30
Excellent system; envious but fully supportive :cool:

stay healthy

SwatDawg15
02-10-09, 02:19
Need some help. Have a chance to buy an M2 used, but won't actually get to see it until after i receive it. Supposed to be in excellent working condition. Question to others is: has anyone ever had an M2 that failed to work or just gave up the ghost?

You need to be certain its not a fake/clone. If you cant get any detailed pictures then ask for the serial number and call Aimpoint. Have seen a few people get burnt on eBay ect...

Just hate to see you loose a couple hundred dollars for a worthless clone.

lalakai
02-10-09, 07:31
You need to be certain its not a fake/clone. If you cant get any detailed pictures then ask for the serial number and call Aimpoint. Have seen a few people get burnt on eBay ect...

Just hate to see you loose a couple hundred dollars for a worthless clone.

excellent suggestion, thanks.:D

FrankRochester
02-13-09, 08:38
I got mine brand new for $260 after using the eBay (live.com) 30% off. I haven't had any issues with it.

I'd watch that... the sight retails for $509...that's way lower than I can get it for. And I've got a price list right in front of me.

Tuukka
02-13-09, 09:57
I´ve used our Comp M2 on various SMGs and assault rifles in the past 5 years without issues. Round count is in the countless thousands.

lalakai
02-13-09, 13:25
sounds like the M2's are pretty durable. Anyone know what the major differences are between the M2 and the M3?

......besides a "2" and a "3".......just in case someone is getting a jump on the weekend :D

gjj
02-13-09, 14:23
I like my CompML2 better than my T1. I think the dot quality is better on the ML2. As a matter of fact, I am selling the T1 to raise cash for either another ML2, ML3, or M4s. I have not decided which.

I personally think Aimpoint makes the best RDS on the planet. I sold my EOTechs a couple years ago and have never looked back.

Shotdown
02-13-09, 15:19
I'd watch that... the sight retails for $509...that's way lower than I can get it for. And I've got a price list right in front of me.

Had my doubts at first but it's not a clone. Came with everything as well.

BigRed
02-15-09, 22:15
On my first contract myself and most everyone else ran M2s in lowrings on Ultimaks. Months of constant use with no problems. The same M2 later rode atop my Sig 552 for a couple years. Now it's on an AR in my closet. The only thing I've done to it is change out the mount, batteries, and one flip cover. Aimpoints last forever, and if they don't, let the company know and they will fix the issue.

ST911
02-17-09, 19:32

I have an M2 and it does what's needed in typical Aimpoint fashion. It's a used and abused mil surplus unit, but still going strong. If you can get a good deal on one, buy it.

I like the 2MOA dot of my M3 better, as well as the better battery life. The T1 is my first choice of all of them, though. All are in LT mounts.

An agency obtained a quantity of M2s in a variety of conditions. There were 3-5 switch issues on those units, but they were repaired promptly.