PDA

View Full Version : Tango Down Mags, Possible new bayonet in the news

Slater
02-09-09, 07:31
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/02/army_gear_trio_020709/

Does the Army really need an all-new bayonet? If so, why not just buy the Marines' bayonet?

telecustom
02-09-09, 12:12
Not only is there no need for a new bayonet, there is no need for the bayonets we have now. With the current method of carry (with rifle attached to body), the bayonet is useless. The muzzle poke is very effective and doesn't change the balance of your weapon.

New bayonet = more wasted $ by the ‘Good Idea Fairy’

CarlosDJackal
02-09-09, 13:23
IMHO, a good Combat Utility knife (something we all end up buying) is a better use of limited funding over any new bayonet. Bayonets should only be issued during Basic Training for the Bayonet Course.

5pins
02-10-09, 05:05
Bayonets should only be issued during Basic Training for the Bayonet Course.

What would be the point of having bayonet training if you never if you are never issued a bayonet after Basic?

cqbdriver
02-10-09, 05:09
What would be the point of having bayonet training if you never if you are never issued a bayonet after Basic?

To learn the Spirit of the Bayonet & the 2 types of bayonet fighters.

OldNavyGuy
02-10-09, 08:27
any one got a photo of this "new" bayo ?

CarlosDJackal
02-10-09, 14:41
To learn the Spirit of the Bayonet & the 2 types of bayonet fighters.

Ya beat me to it!! When I went through OSUT (almost a quarter of a Century ago!! :eek:) there were only certain Basic Training "Programs" that incorporated Bayonet Training.

When we started with Bayonet Training, we also wondered what the point of it all was. But once we completed it, as much as it dogged the ever living crap out of me to run through that damned Bayonet Course at Benning three times in one afternoon, I realized just how much it helped us develop that Warrior Mindset.

IMHO, it forces one to close in and aggressively engage the "enemy". It also helps augment the Pugil Sticks.

What Bayonet Training really did for me is after I showed the aggressiveness that evidently the Drill Sergeants were looking for, they pretty much backed off dogging me and turned their focus elsewhere. YMMV.

cqbdriver
02-10-09, 16:02
I can remember the Drill Sergeant had us in two lines facing each other with our bayonets touching. He was yelling over & over “What is the spirit of the bayonet?” and we would yell back “TO KILL!!!!!” “How many types of bayonet fighters?” THE QUICK & THE DEAD!!!” Then he said “Thrust series….” & everyone was yelling “YEA!” then he said to stand down & everyone yelled “boo!”

I always wondered if he said the end of the command “...move,” how many of the guys would have carried out the command. :D

mark5pt56
02-10-09, 16:51
Has anyone used this new mag?

telecustom
02-10-09, 18:56
One of my guys has the new bayonet. I'll take a picture and post it.

kaiservontexas
02-10-09, 20:48
The new magazine will not have a removable floor plate? I do not know if I would want my magazine that way. I think the fact the follower seals is great, but at some point that follower's seal is going to break. I would rather maintain the ability to clean the magazine.

Outlander Systems
02-10-09, 22:14
What makes the grass grow green?

Heavy Metal
02-10-09, 22:19
Miracle Gro!

Thank goodness the company commander nor the Drill Sgt heard me say that.

Guts just putrify.

Blood is much better as it adds essential iron to the soil.

herd118
02-10-09, 23:16
pics of the new bayonet:
http://www.militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/?p=360

packinheavy
02-11-09, 07:46
pics of the new bayonet:
http://www.militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/?p=360

That handle looks less than comfortable.