PDA

View Full Version : Annie Oakley 2009

Sam
02-09-09, 08:20
I don't know if this is true and have no way to verify it. I received this as a forwarded email. It sounds good anyway, and she's cute.

There's one flaw in the motivational poster, can you spot it?

The ex-cheerleader in this picture (age 19 and now an Air Force Security Forces Sniper) was watching a road that lead to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road. She engaged the target, and she shot him. Turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban and was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a US patrol walked by 30 minutes later.
It would have certainly killed and wounded several soldiers.
The interesting fact of this story is the shot was measured at 725 yards.
She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb.
The shot struck him in the butt blowing into the bomb which detonated. He was blown to pieces.
The Air Force made a motivational poster of her.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/image001.gif

OldNavyGuy
02-09-09, 08:32
There's one flaw in the motivational poster, can you spot it?

NO !!

LOKNLOD
02-09-09, 08:48
Spelled "environment" and "earrings" wrong, no punctuation, and use of "like" in place of "than"? I dunno.

How 'bout the fact that it looks like she's got her eye pressed against the scope? That'll feel good on recoil.

babaracus
02-09-09, 08:51
The email story is bogus but the airman is real. Read on at
http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/cheerleader.asp

Sam
02-09-09, 08:52
Spelled "environment" and "earrings" wrong, no punctuation, and use of "like" in place of "than"? I dunno.

How 'bout the fact that it looks like she's got her eye pressed against the scope? That'll feel good on recoil.

A gold star goes to LOKNLOD.

I "snope" it and here's the real story, I guess I'd been "punked".

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/cheerleader.asp

Loner
02-09-09, 09:06
her left eye is open?

Failure2Stop
02-09-09, 10:11
Hmmm. . .
Last I was aware the Air Force did not run a sniper school, but instead sends it's shooters to the Sniper School at Ft Benning. Now my memory can be a little suspect at times, but I am fairly sure that you need to be Infantry or SF to attend the Sniper School at Benning. As such, the "Sniper" in question would be a little light in the crotch-luggage department.

Checking the snopes link it appears that it may be probable that the individual in the photograph may possibly be trained to act as a DM, but to call her a "Sniper" would be incorrect as the term has much more doctrinal meaning than simply "somebody with a scoped rifle". This has absolutely nothing to do with gender, so please don't cry about that aspect. Sure it's possible that a female may have the ability to successfully complete a true Sniper School, but I would imagine that it would also generate more than a little fan-fare.

It appears to me that the creator of the image was about as diligent with fact-checking as they were with spell-checking.

Sam
02-09-09, 10:20
Actual caption of the photo:

MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. -- Senior Airman Polly-Jan Bobseine, 823rd Security Forces Squadron fire team member, takes aim behind a M-24 Sniper Rifle to hone her close precision engagement skills during proficiency weapons training at a deployed location. Airman Bobseine was chosen out of more than 270,000 enlisted Airmen as one of the Air Force’s 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year. (

CarlosDJackal
02-09-09, 13:53
Hmmm. . .
Last I was aware the Air Force did not run a sniper school, but instead sends it's shooters to the Sniper School at Ft Benning. Now my memory can be a little suspect at times, but I am fairly sure that you need to be Infantry or SF to attend the Sniper School at Benning. As such, the "Sniper" in question would be a little light in the crotch-luggage department...

For a while there the USAF Security Forces regularly sent their designated Marksmen/Snipers to the ARNG Sniper School at Camp Robinson, AK. I don't think there are any common standards on who can be designated a Sniper between all of the Services.

IMHO, if the USAF decides that anyone who is issued an M24, M40, M110, or an English Crossbow as "Sniper", diamond earrings and all, then so be it. As long as that individual is able to effectively perform the mission and keep saving lives, I have a rat's ass if the Airman wears Diamond earrings or 6-inch stiletto pumps when she sends those bastards to receive their 72 virgins. JM2CW.

SinnFéinM1911
02-09-09, 16:00
Hmmm. . .
Last I was aware the Air Force did not run a sniper school, but instead sends it's shooters to the Sniper School at Ft Benning. Now my memory can be a little suspect at times, but I am fairly sure that you need to be Infantry or SF to attend the Sniper School at Benning. As such, the "Sniper" in question would be a little light in the crotch-luggage department.

Checking the snopes link it appears that it may be probable that the individual in the photograph may possibly be trained to act as a DM, but to call her a "Sniper" would be incorrect as the term has much more doctrinal meaning than simply "somebody with a scoped rifle". This has absolutely nothing to do with gender, so please don't cry about that aspect. Sure it's possible that a female may have the ability to successfully complete a true Sniper School, but I would imagine that it would also generate more than a little fan-fare.

It appears to me that the creator of the image was about as diligent with fact-checking as they were with spell-checking.

The 820th - 823rd squardrons have slots to the Ft Benning Sniper School as well as Ranger and Airborne and HALO / HAHO.

That being said only a "few" from this group actully get those slots. The AF has made thier own "sniper" school from this course and I believe its only 4.5 weeks long.

bkb0000
02-09-09, 16:10
wow... check out that bio- she's like miss captain america

decodeddiesel
02-09-09, 16:12
Good for Airman Bobseine on that Outstanding Airman of the Year award, and a great thanks to her for defending our country. She may not be a sniper by deffinition but she's one motivated Joe (or would it be Jody?) judging by her accomplishments in the Air Force.

Who ever made that "motivational poster" can eat sh1t.

sgtrock82
02-09-09, 17:59
Thats so cool! I met her at camp perry back in 05. Her and her sisters are regular high power service rifle shooters in NY state. I use to see and shoot with her older sister a bunch, they are all this cute too. Camp Smith is a great place to cut your teeth on reading wind.

bkb0000
02-09-09, 18:01
Thats so cool! I met her at camp perry back in 05. Her and her sisters are regular high power service rifle shooters in NY state. I use to see and shoot with her older sister a bunch, they are all this cute too. Camp Smith is a great place to cut your teeth on reading wind.

didja tap it?

sgtrock82
02-09-09, 18:13
unfortunately I am bit rough around the edges. I tapped something that trip but she wasn't it (that one shall be called P I G)

dcmdon
02-09-09, 21:21
she's wearing pearls, not diamonds

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-10-09, 00:58
Whole thing over on the Hide about this pic and the AF sniper school.

I don't doubt that the photographer had her 'pose' for the pic. Proper head placement and a closed left eye would not be a very dramatic picture.

Home schooled , high powerer shooting, bronco busting, babe.

I wonder what old George Orwell would think about her standing ready at the wall.

I wonder what implications her defined cheek bones cause her in getting a good cheek weld?

Not to mention her trigger finger location.

Sam
02-10-09, 08:29
A couple more pics of Airman Polly.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/polly2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/polly.jpg

dookie1481
03-08-09, 23:18
The 820th - 823rd squardrons have slots to the Ft Benning Sniper School as well as Ranger and Airborne and HALO / HAHO.

That being said only a "few" from this group actully get those slots. The AF has made thier own "sniper" school from this course and I believe its only 4.5 weeks long.

Yep, when I was in USMC Scout/Sniper school there was a big ruckus over the USAF's first female "sniper". The instructors weren't too happy about that.

Jay