PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 45 Questions...

Razorhunter
02-09-09, 15:36
What's the verdict on dry firing an M&P 45? I thought I read once online, that there were confirmed cases of parts breakage, due to dry firing an M&P. ???
What's the thought from you guys?

I know I read this somewhere, but I don't remember the source, or if it was credible.
I think I've read that it IS OK to dry fire a Glock, IIRC.

I would also like to ask about sights on the M&P 45. How do they install/attach to the M&P's slide? Is this something I can do without special unique tools?
I know I used to have a buddy who didn't really know much about firearms, and he was a big Glock fan. He always had the local gunsmith install some type of tritium or fiber optic? sights on his Glocks, and the gunsmith would actually GLUE them in! I always thought that totally sucked, but I never mentioned it much, as my buddy was the weekend shooter type, who really didn't care himself.
Anyhow, I am trying to determine the best sights for the new M&P 45 that I will soon order, and I am also trying to determine what is the best trigger job option for my M&P 45? I have read about "Burwell"? (I think) triggers, and then I know the M&P9 "PRO" model comes with an upgraded "Performance Center" sear, but I haven't seen the M&P45 with that factory option.
SO, any help would be appreciated guys.

Finally, does someone have a recommended dealer who has the best M&P45 pricing, and has good stock/selection most of the time?
I would appreciate it, if there is a "known" dealer, who is preferred? Maybe I'll try Grant, (just thought about him actually) I wonder if he has 4.25" and 5" MP45's in stock, WITHOUT any safeties?
Anyone else?

Jay Cunningham
02-09-09, 15:38
I would not dry-fire it without snap caps. I have a Burwell trigger job on mine and it is remarkable. Yes, you pretty much need the proper tool to install sights...

JohnN
02-09-09, 15:45
I would try Grant first and if he doesn't have what you are looking for try Bud's Gunshop on the net.

Currently I am using both Warren and 10-8 sights and prefer the Warren's especially the two tritium dot model. They fit in a dovetail and are best installed with a sight pusher but you can use a hammer and drift punch if necessary. Take it easy though you could possibly damage the tritium vials if you go with night sights.

Dan Burwell does a great trigger job. I have had a FS9 that he did when they first came out and I have never had a misfire or problem in over 9000rds.

TAZ
02-09-09, 16:22
I pretty much refuse to dry fire for extended periods without snap caps. Onesie twosies at the range ok, but a whole dry firing session. No way. Don't care what the mfg states. Way cheap piece of mind as far as I am concerned.

As far as the sights go; it's possible to do them with a punch and hammer. Just be careful if you're installing tritium to not bust the vials. Also there is a small disc under the rear sight that retains the firing pin block. It's spring loaded obviously so when you remove or install the rear you need to make sure you don't launch it into the smallest and darkest possible location on the planet. It's easier with the sight pusher for sure.

John_Wayne777
02-09-09, 18:13
What's the verdict on dry firing an M&P 45? I thought I read once online, that there were confirmed cases of parts breakage, due to dry firing an M&P. ???
What's the thought from you guys?

Dryfire will break the striker of an M&P. An occasional dryfire is no big deal, but dryfire practice without a good snap-cap (A-Zoom) will break the striker.

I think I've read that it IS OK to dry fire a Glock, IIRC.

"Excessive" dryfire will break Glocks too. Most people don't dryfire enough to qualify as "excessive".

I would also like to ask about sights on the M&P 45. How do they install/attach to the M&P's slide? Is this something I can do without special unique tools?

It can be done without a sight tool....but it's not a good idea. The hammer and punch method sucks and breaks night sights. I learned that one the hard way.

I know I used to have a buddy who didn't really know much about firearms, and he was a big Glock fan. He always had the local gunsmith install some type of tritium or fiber optic? sights on his Glocks, and the gunsmith would actually GLUE them in!

Blue lock-tite is fine, but glue isn't necessary. The sights on the market for the M&P tend to be slightly oversized, meaning they fit really, really, REALLY snugly in the dovetails and won't be going anywhere on their own.

Anyhow, I am trying to determine the best sights for the new M&P 45 that I will soon order,

I'm very fond of Warren Tactical sights myself. All of my M&P's wear them. The Warren 2 dot sights are the best sights I've ever tried.

and I am also trying to determine what is the best trigger job option for my M&P 45? I have read about "Burwell"? (I think) triggers,

I have a Burwell trigger job and I like it. It has yielded a good trigger and it's been very reliable. Stick to the "carry" triggers, as the "competition" trigger is entirely too light for any purpose, in my opinion.

and then I know the M&P9 "PRO" model comes with an upgraded "Performance Center" sear, but I haven't seen the M&P45 with that factory option.

None of the .45 versions come with the PC sear at present. You can send your .45 to S&W and have the Performance Center install the PC sear in your pistol if you wish. It's a skosh more expensive than the Burwell route, but it's a very good option as well.

Finally, does someone have a recommended dealer who has the best M&P45 pricing, and has good stock/selection most of the time?

G&R Tactical usually has the best prices on M&P's that I've found. Grant's pretty helpful, too...He might even be convinced to install sights for you.

Anyone else?

Bud's Gun Shop often has good prices on M&P's, but I'd much rather buy from Grant.

Razorhunter
02-09-09, 18:21
Thanks guys.
How about that enlargened/beveled? magwell I saw as an aftermarket upgrade for sale on Gunbroker, or somewhere? It was a mere $18? or so.
Is this something you guys are running as well?
Any other mods you guys are running?
I think I'll stick with the trigger and sights for now, but not sure if I'm overlooking anything else. Burwell Shark Skin grips perhaps? Now I just have to decide between that 4.25" and 5" bbl.
I usually prefer full size, but for some reason that 4.25" midsize M&P 45 is really calling my name, and I like the thought of finally owning something that is not completely full size. However, I'm not sure if the grip is shortned or not, so I need to find a dealer with both sizes in stock, to see if there is a difference in the feel.
I've never liked shortned grips on my 1911's, that's for sure. I think the midsize holds 10rds, just like the 5" does though? If this is the case, then I'm led to believe their grips are the same length? I wish S&W's website had more pics/info/specs on these 45's. Their webpage was totally lacking in this area. I think there was ONE pic, and it didn't even show the specs or the different models.
What length bbl are you guys here shooting?
Thanks.

John_Wayne777
02-09-09, 19:33
Thanks guys.
How about that enlargened/beveled? magwell I saw as an aftermarket upgrade for sale on Gunbroker, or somewhere? It was a mere $18? or so.
Is this something you guys are running as well?

The stock magwell is plenty big enough, in my opinion.

I've never liked shortned grips on my 1911's, that's for sure. I think the midsize holds 10rds, just like the 5" does though?

No, I believe it only holds 8 rounds with a flush-fitting magazine. It's the same size as the G19...meaning it's a tad larger than the M&P 9C and 40C.

If this is the case, then I'm led to believe their grips are the same length?

I believe the grip on the mid-sized .45 is shorter than the full-sized .45 ACP.

What length bbl are you guys here shooting?
Thanks.

5" in my .45's, standard length (I assume 4") in my FS 9, and then whatever the compact is.

LonghunterCO
02-09-09, 19:53
I can not comment on the M&P 45 but I can as to going through Grant. I just ordered a M&P 9 from him last week. Great guy to do business with.

Palmguy
02-09-09, 21:10
The stock magwell is plenty big enough, in my opinion.

No, I believe it only holds 8 rounds with a flush-fitting magazine. It's the same size as the G19...meaning it's a tad larger than the M&P 9C and 40C.

I believe the grip on the mid-sized .45 is shorter than the full-sized .45 ACP.

5" in my .45's, standard length (I assume 4") in my FS 9, and then whatever the compact is.

There are 3 sizes of the M&P45. The midsize has a 10 round mag and a 4" barrel. The compact has an 8 round mag and 4" barrel. The full size has a 10 round mag and a 4.5" (not 5") barrel.

The compact is the roughly G19-sized model.

Razorhunter
02-09-09, 21:54
There are 3 sizes of the M&P45. The midsize has a 10 round mag and a 4" barrel. The compact has an 8 round mag and 4" barrel. The full size has a 10 round mag and a 4.5" (not 5") barrel.

Wow, that's interesting.
My local bunch of dumbasses (gun dealer) told me that the 45 ONLY came in the MID and FULL size, and they told me that the M&P9 mini compact had a 3" bbl!
Anyhow, they also told me that the midsize 45 had a 4.25" bbl, and the full size had a 5" bbl.

Yet another reason it would be nice for S&W to at least have all the models shown somewhwere on their site, for comparison purposes...

Here's a final question for you guys.

I'm trying to get my Eagle/SKD Universal chest rig setup, and I am trying to find some Multicam Eagle Molle pistol mag pouches for the M&P45 mags I will be buying.
Is there a Glock "equivalent" that works for the M&P 45 mags?

IOW's, do you guys see any mag pouch in the link below, which will hold the M&P 45 mags properly?? I see they have a G17/G22 model, and then there is the G20/G21 model. Finally, there is the Beretta M9 model, and of course the 1911 pistol mag model.
Do any of them fit the M&P 45 mags properly?? Thanks guys.

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=182

HowardCohodas
02-09-09, 22:55
G&R Tactical usually has the best prices on M&P's that I've found. Grant's pretty helpful, too...He might even be convinced to install sights for you.

I'm having trouble locating the MGW tool so I asked Grant if he could install my sights. He wrote me back that he no longer does that.

I like dealing with Grant, but I have to pay Ohio sales tax when I do. :(

Palmguy
02-10-09, 06:29
Wow, that's interesting.
My local bunch of dumbasses (gun dealer) told me that the 45 ONLY came in the MID and FULL size, and they told me that the M&P9 mini compact had a 3" bbl!
Anyhow, they also told me that the midsize 45 had a 4.25" bbl, and the full size had a 5" bbl.

Yet another reason it would be nice for S&W to at least have all the models shown somewhwere on their site, for comparison purposes...

Here's a rundown of them by Hilton Yam for future reference:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72516&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/72516-45Comparison.jpg

John_Wayne777
02-10-09, 09:26

You're right. I completely forgot about the mid-sized M&P. Blonde moment.

John_Wayne777
02-10-09, 09:36
I'm having trouble locating the MGW tool so I asked Grant if he could install my sights. He wrote me back that he no longer does that.

I like dealing with Grant, but I have to pay Ohio sales tax when I do. :(

Well, my friend, you are on the right forum. There are a lot of M&P sight tools here and I'm sure somebody would be more than willing to loan you one. I've got a deal in the works with somebody right now, but if I don't need the tool for him I'd be more than happy to loan you mine.

POF.Ops
02-15-09, 02:24
My only regret with my M&P45 mid is that it is not FDE.

mpardun
02-15-09, 09:12
Only have 1 picture of the work Dan Burwell did last year:

FDE Full Size to start
10-8 rears
Triji front
"Melt" job
NP3 Finished slide/internals
3.5lb trigger job
"Sharkskin" stippling in all the right places

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z302/mpardun/MPs_MandP45.jpg

**with a min. of a $65 trigger job, Dan will install your supplied sights for FREE! I like 10-8, Warren and Dan has some nice ones as well (have them on my M&P40C

New Black M&P45 Full is with Dan at the moment. Having trigger and "Sharkskin" done on this one as well as the Crimson Trace grips.

GLOCKMASTER
02-15-09, 09:28
Some good information here. Especially since I'm getting ready to add a couple of M&P .45's to the collection.

Razorhunter
02-15-09, 23:08
Well guys, I've finally decided on the model I want, and I'm going to order the MIDSIZE 4" M&P 45, in black, and with regular white dot sights, so I can add some of the Warren, or ??? other sights immediately.
I am still trying to decide on whether or not I want the 1911 style thumb safety, and honestly, I was totally against it at first, due to the fact that I've always felt the striker fired guns were meant to NOT have a thumb safety.
HOWEVER, the more I think about it, and after reading Hilton Yam's review, I am kind of thinking I might like it, to keep with my training with my 1911's.
I do however, have one major concern, and that is the fact that everyone seems to say that the thumb safety is totally loose, and not tight at all.
I have got to say that's very disappointing that S&W can't even get that right. There's no excuse for something that ridiculous.
I have heard that some of the smiths working on the M&P's, are actually tightening up the thumb safety, but I have no idea if this FULLY corrects the problem or not? I do NOT want to find my safety flipping on and off without deliberately flipping it myself. Not for safety reasons, but for the simple fact that it would be a PIA to keep up with whether or not the safety is on, when I draw the pistol.

Finally, I would like to ask about all the different sights offered for the M&P line.
-Are they ALL using the same dovetail found on the stock M&P, or do any of them require re-machining of the slide?
Thanks.

P.S.
Where the hell can I find a dealer who has good pricing like Grant does/did? Grant has nothing in stock in 45 (I think he had ONE or something?), and before I purchase, I wanted to ask if you guys could recommend a dealer who keeps GOOD stock, and has the best, or close to best pricing?
Thanks.

HowardCohodas
02-16-09, 00:27
Well, my friend, you are on the right forum. There are a lot of M&P sight tools here and I'm sure somebody would be more than willing to loan you one. I've got a deal in the works with somebody right now, but if I don't need the tool for him I'd be more than happy to loan you mine.

Thank you for your kind offer. I asked about borrowing or renting on http://MP-Pistol.com. No luck. It never occurred to me to do the same here. Live and learn.

I did buy one and successfully installed my new Warren Tactical Tritium 2-dot sights. Love them. I'll either sell the MGW, or rent it as I only own two M&Ps.

For the novice, there were a few things I think could have been explained better in the "no pictures" instructions. I am somewhat tool-challenged so I always go slowly the first time. I am putting together some instruction with pictures to remind me of what I learned and the mistakes to avoid.

I did learn about doing the removal in a plastic bag to capture the spring and cap under the rear sight. Still managed to lose the spring while installing the new sights. Was wetting my hair in the shower several hours later and found the spring. Got lucky.

HowardCohodas
02-16-09, 00:37
I do however, have one major concern, and that is the fact that everyone seems to say that the thumb safety is totally loose, and not tight at all.
I have got to say that's very disappointing that S&W can't even get that right. There's no excuse for something that ridiculous.
I can only speak for mine, but before I removed the thumb safety activation lever, I had no "looseness" problem.

P.S.

Where the hell can I find a dealer who has good pricing like Grant does/did? Grant has nothing in stock in 45 (I think he had ONE or something?), and before I purchase, I wanted to ask if you guys could recommend a dealer who keeps GOOD stock, and has the best, or close to best pricing?
Thanks.

I would highly recommend that to try Buds Gun Shop. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_39_71 I have had excellent results with them. Great prices and fast delivery. Grant also is great, but I would have to pay Ohio sales tax if I bought from him.:mad:

Razorhunter
02-16-09, 06:53
Howard,
Don't get rid of that sight press for the M&P's, as I will be needing one REAL soon, and would love to borrow/rent it from you my friend, that is, if you are willing.
Also, I normally like Budsgunshop prices, but in this case, he is $100 MORE than a couple other places I've found M&P 45's at (except they were out of stock at this time)

ToddG
02-16-09, 08:32
Paul -- The manual safeties seem to be hit or miss. If you've got the tools & skill, it's supposed to be very simple to rework the safety detent to get a more positive "click" when engaging and disengaging the safety. I haven't worked on one yet, though, so that is just second hand info.

Any sight that is sold as being for the M&P will fit in the M&P dovetail slots. Some sights may need a little fitting (older Warrens often did, for example, though he recently made a change to his base dimensions after working directly with S&W) but I'd never mill the slide for something different. The rear sight keeps the striker block contained and I wouldn't recommend messing with that.

Razorhunter
02-16-09, 20:40
Thanks for the info Todd. I actually found a full size M&P 45 in stock locally today, and it had the manual safety, which is the first time this dealer has received one with the thumb safety.
I would have bought it, but unfortunately, the lack of a solid lockup on the safety really turned me off. Not to mention that even if it did lock up tightly, it just didn't feel too comfortable. I guess I'm just too used to the more comfortable 1911 safeties to be comfortable with the M&P safety.
Looks like I'll be going with NO thumb safety on my M&P.
Now, if only I could find a dealer with good prices.

Honu
02-16-09, 21:37
Paul have you tried http://www.gandrtactical.com/
he has great prices and service

LonghunterCO
02-16-09, 22:26
Paul have you tried http://www.gandrtactical.com/
he has great prices and service

+1 I would go with Grant.

Razorhunter
02-17-09, 01:15
Yes guys,
If you see above in my posts, that was the first place I tried. I was hoping to order from Grant, but he has only 1 45 model, and it's not the model I'm after.
He's got mostly 9's and 40cal's...
Thanks.

Honu
02-17-09, 02:57
I somehow read over that twice :) heheeheheh

bummer hope you find it ;)