PDA

View Full Version : New rifle

HiggsBoson
02-09-09, 15:59
move along. nothing to see here.

JBnTX
02-09-09, 17:02
Bushmasters are fine rifles. Ignore all that
mumbo jumbo about them not being "perfect fighting rifles".
Very, very few AR owners use their rifles to fight with.

Don't worry about little nit noy details such as barrel twist, parkerizing under
the FSB and other stuff.

A Bushmaster AR-15, with proper care and maintenance, will probably outlast
you. If a part breaks just replace it. You won't be replacing many parts.
Bushmaster has an outstanding customer service section in case you ever
need it.

You'll do just fine with a Bushmaster.

Anyway, it will only be your first AR, not your last.
Nobody can have just one.

Rider79
02-09-09, 17:36
If I can put together an LMT or BCM for the same price, or a couple hundred more, why wouldn't I just get one of those instead? Yes, not everyone fights with their rifle, and I may not, but its nice to know that it's up to the task if needed. I've gone down the Bushmaster/DPMS/RRA/Stag road, and I'm past it now. They're all gone, with the exception of a pair of Stag uppers that I upgraded with LMT BCGs.

bkb0000
02-09-09, 17:40
If I can put together an LMT or BCM for the same price, or a couple hundred more, why wouldn't I just get one of those instead? Yes, not everyone fights with their rifle, and I may not, but its nice to know that it's up to the task if needed. I've gone down the Bushmaster/DPMS/RRA/Stag road, and I'm past it now. They're all gone, with the exception of a pair of Stag uppers that I upgraded with LMT BCGs.

because you cant wait 4 months for them to get in stock- because you've got an itch to blast a blaster and gotta have one now, and bushys are all thats on the shelf.

OP- sounds like you're squared away. we diss on bushmaster for good reason, but if you're willing to nullify those reasons with the upgrades you're planning, then blast on.

welcome to the board, and the club.

Rider79
02-09-09, 17:45
because you cant wait 4 months for them to get in stock- because you've got an itch to blast a blaster and gotta have one now, and bushys are all thats on the shelf.

I've picked up 4 BCMs and one LMT upper since the beginning of January, as well as several LMT BCGs, all at retail, and none through backorder. They can be found, you just have to put in the legwork. To the OP, there's nothing against Bushmaster, and if you're happy, that's all that matters. I was happy with my Stags when I got them, then I got the bug to have the best I could possibly have.

bkb0000
02-09-09, 18:03
I've picked up 4 BCMs and one LMT upper since the beginning of January, as well as several LMT BCGs, all at retail, and none through backorder. They can be found, you just have to put in the legwork. To the OP, there's nothing against Bushmaster, and if you're happy, that's all that matters. I was happy with my Stags when I got them, then I got the bug to have the best I could possibly have.

word- i'm not disagreeing that they can be found. i was simply speaking from the perspective i believe the OP has. i, too, haven't had all that much trouble finding parts. dilligence and patience and a PDA with email forward will get you the parts you need, even right now.

Rider79
02-09-09, 18:28
Yeah, I definitely gotta stop though. I got a BCM M4 upper from G&R the day before they showed up on Bravo Company's site. I damn near went through clinical withdrawal watching them go out of stock without buying one.

HiggsBoson
02-09-09, 18:34
word- i'm not disagreeing that they can be found. i was simply speaking from the perspective i believe the OP has. i, too, haven't had all that much trouble finding parts. dilligence and patience and a PDA with email forward will get you the parts you need, even right now.

Yeah, I felt like I needed to buy a complete rifle to pop my EBR cherry, as it were. The upper/lower combo seems like a good idea for those already in the know, but I didn't want to make a mistake and mis-match parts or something and being out even more $$$. Here in NoVA, I spent a good bit of time searching with not much luck finding anything. I suppose I could have gone further afield, but I don't have a heck of a lot of free time, and I eventually got tired of waiting. I think this was a good place to start, since it encourages me to learn more about it and do some upgrades.

This looks like a great forum to be involved with, I can tell I'm going to be around a while. I already made the mistake of letting my LW hear me tell the old man that I want to buy a second AR, at LEAST, for spare parts and tinkering... that went over like a fart on prom night. That's okay, though, she will still come running when the zombies attack! =)

bkb0000
02-09-09, 18:38
i'm broke. i'd budgeted myself for $4,000 when it started to look like Oshit would win- wanted an SPR, figured i could put together something solid for 3-3500 and have enough left for mags.... ended up spending about three times that on two SPRs, a Recce, and started a carbine when work died. its hard not to pull out a credit card when i get notifications from Bravo or see people's "RAINIER HAS LMTS!!!" threads, but I made it a rule never to put hobbys on credit cards, and have stuck to it.

hopefully work will pick back up and the panic will settle down- work generally spikes about mid-spring, i'm confident guns wont be banned before then.

Rider79
02-09-09, 18:41
To the OP, www.quanticotactical.com is supposed to be getting more LMT uppers at the end of the month. Get on the back order list.

HiggsBoson
02-09-09, 19:08
i'm broke. i'd budgeted myself for $4,000 when it started to look like Oshit would win- wanted an SPR, figured i could put together something solid for 3-3500 and have enough left for mags.... ended up spending about three times that on two SPRs, a Recce, and started a carbine when work died. its hard not to pull out a credit card when i get notifications from Bravo or see people's "RAINIER HAS LMTS!!!" threads, but I made it a rule never to put hobbys on credit cards, and have stuck to it.

hopefully work will pick back up and the panic will settle down- work generally spikes about mid-spring, i'm confident guns wont be banned before then.

@bkb0000: I'd be interested to hear what you put into your SBR and what you learned in the process. I've way spent more than I care to admit since I started my collection with a pair of SIG pistols a couple of years ago. Now that I branched-out into rifles, there's no end in sight.

HiggsBoson
02-09-09, 19:14
To the OP, www.quanticotactical.com is supposed to be getting more LMT uppers at the end of the month. Get on the back order list.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up, they're right near me. I need to stop by there, it says their VA location is 12,000 square feet! The LW says I can go there Saturday (Valentine's Day!) if I turn her loose in the mall with my debit-card... I'm giving it serious thought. Her shopping trip is bound to be less expensive than mine. As someone on this forum said: "I'll stop buying black rifles when she stops buying black shoes."

JBnTX
02-09-09, 20:19
... As someone on this forum said: "I'll stop buying black rifles when she stops buying black shoes."

No you won't. You'll be buying black rifles after she's long gone.
Don't ask me how I know that?

HiggsBoson
02-09-09, 20:35
No you won't. You'll be buying black rifles after she's long gone.
Don't ask me how I know that?

Touché!

I suspect I might have an idea why you say that... and I imagine you're probably exactly right.