PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the "BAD" will ever be released?

Bpurcg19
02-10-09, 08:39
I think the BAD is a great concept that can speed up some of the processes on the AR. I think its downside is that you might create another set of muscle memory skills and then if you have to use another stock weapon system, your mind and muscles will revert to the "BAD" device which won't be there on the stock weapon.

But...do you think the BAD will ever be released in full production or do you think this possibly great idea will fade away just like other innovative yet somewhat controversial products have?

Thanks,
-B:)

Sidewinder6
02-10-09, 10:51
I have been wondering the same thing myself. Seems like a nice idea.

JBnTX
02-10-09, 11:04
Somebody has to ask? What's BAD?

Bpurcg19
02-10-09, 11:05
Magpul's new "battery assist device"

theJanitor
02-10-09, 11:07
do we keep seeing these threads because "BAD" is too short of a term for the search function?

Kaos
02-10-09, 11:08
I think the BAD is a great concept that can speed up some of the processes on the AR. I think its downside is that you might create another set of muscle memory skills and then if you have to use another stock weapon system, your mind and muscles will revert to the "BAD" device which won't be there on the stock weapon.

But...do you think the BAD will ever be released in full production or do you think this possibly great idea will fade away just like other innovative yet somewhat controversial products have?

Thanks,

I have a home made one (see my post int he custom build forum) and it's great. I don't forget to use the palm slap when using a rifle without one...I just treat like two different (but similar) weapon systems.

Derek_Connor
02-10-09, 11:21

not having it on other rifles is not a downside, and it doesn't affect your muscle memory.

Thanks,

I'll put $10 on it, that they will produce it.

Iraq Ninja
02-10-09, 11:39
I thought I saw it listed in the 2009 catalog that was passed out at SHOT, so I would say yes. Or did I dream it?

Bpurcg19
02-10-09, 11:46
The BAD changes how you lock the bolt to the rear and release the bolt. This therefore changes how you handle malfunctions. I know you can still use the bolt catch/release just as always even with the bad installed. But I would think that if you trained with the BAD enough that you would create a muscle memory for how to lock and release the bolt.
Once you realized the BAD was not there then you would revert to the normal operations and probably be a second behind.

BTW, I am all for the BAD, I think it would be a great addition to the AR platform.

rubberneck
02-10-09, 11:57
do we keep seeing these threads because "BAD" is too short of a term for the search function?

Probably. That is one of my biggest frustrations with the search engines on gun related boards. For instance most people here will revert to short form in their postings instead of writing it out. They will write LMT instead of Lewis Machine Tool or MRP instead of monolithic rail platform in a thread. It leads to a ton of duplicated threads because it is hard to find info quickly without searching through the individual forums looking for relevant threads. I wish there was a way to find the most commonly used three letter acronyms and allow the sites search engine to look for them to the exclusion of all other three letter words.

ST911
02-10-09, 11:59
The BAD imposes its own unique set of fundamentals. It is indeed a divergent set of muscle memory from the current norms. When they're in wide release, your average shooter employing rifles with and without BADs will be seen hesitating or correcting himself after beginning the wrong technique.

Exceptions will exist for the dedicated shooters of exceptional proficiency.

The BAD is much like the Redimag in this way. Watch a batch of redimag users reach to their chests or belts for their reload as their redimag mounted mag falls to the ground. (Gen 2 corrects that, but the reach is still found.)

I'm not keen on asking the trigger finger to do anything other than pressing the trigger. On the AR-type, it has to release the magazine, but that is done in full extension outside the trigger guard. Having it dual-tasked, within the trigger guard, creates it's own set of potential issues.

This is not to poo-poo the BAD, but there are things to think about beyond promo videos and the aura of new gadgetry. Especially for those who will be responsible for other people who might use such things.

Even given the above, I'm still anxious to see a BAD in person and work with it.

SoDak
02-10-09, 13:05
Probably. That is one of my biggest frustrations with the search engines on gun related boards. For instance most people here will revert to short form in their postings instead of writing it out. They will write LMT instead of Lewis Machine Tool or MRP instead of monolithic rail platform in a thread. It leads to a ton of duplicated threads because it is hard to find info quickly without searching through the individual forums looking for relevant threads. I wish there was a way to find the most commonly used three letter acronyms and allow the sites search engine to look for them to the exclusion of all other three letter words.

Advanced search on google does work when dealing with 3 letter acronyms. It's not ideal, but it is the most effective thing I've found so far.

Kaos
02-10-09, 13:08
The BAD imposes its own unique set of fundamentals. It is indeed a divergent set of muscle memory from the current norms. When they're in wide release, your average shooter employing rifles with and without BADs will be seen hesitating or correcting himself after beginning the wrong technique.

Exceptions will exist for the dedicated shooters of exceptional proficiency.

The BAD is much like the Redimag in this way. Watch a batch of redimag users reach to their chests or belts for their reload as their redimag mounted mag falls to the ground. (Gen 2 corrects that, but the reach is still found.)

I'm not keen on asking the trigger finger to do anything other than pressing the trigger. On the AR-type, it has to release the magazine, but that is done in full extension outside the trigger guard. Having it dual-tasked, within the trigger guard, creates it's own set of potential issues.

This is not to poo-poo the BAD, but there are things to think about beyond promo videos and the aura of new gadgetry. Especially for those who will be responsible for other people who might use such things.

Even given the above, I'm still anxious to see a BAD in person and work with it.

It depends on the final design I guess. I can only speak to the one I had made for myself. If magpul wanted to send me one of theirs to compare notes, I wouldn't argue. ;)

For mine the lever sticks out of the trigger guard by about 3/8 - .5 of an inch. Let me clarify that I think this system SHINES in part with a redimag.

I think it does take a bit of conditioning. My first run with it and the RM I was sloppy. 2nd or 3rd and I was starting to overcome my palm slap reflex. I underloaded the mags for the course of fire to force me to load from the RM and then again from the belt and it was OK.

I also did runs without using the RM and just the belt pouches, and I was ok.

I did another run with another AR and immediately went back to palm slapping.

You need to look at it this way (the way I do) and it may help.

You need to treat the manual of arms as if it's two different but very very similar weapon systems.

With that being said you can still palm slap a gun with no redi mag but with a bad lever. My SBR that Im planning will have no RM but will have my second BAD lever.

heijutsu
02-10-09, 14:39
Well I can't see it changing much if you can't acquire the item.

Derek_Connor
02-10-09, 14:57
Alot of speculation for people who haven't seen it in person, let alone been shooting w/one for the last 10 months (or however long the prototypes have been out).

I have a gun with a bad on it, out of 5-6 other ARs I use sporadically.

You know its there, and you know if its not there.

I have 2 guns with a redimag on it, and the others do not. I know if they are not there, and if they are there.

Lets not think too hard about this, I dont fumble **** my magazines out of pouches and I dont sit there dumb founded looking to hit the lever to drop the bolt...

Its easy fellas...

NCPatrolAR
02-10-09, 15:06

Thanks,

I'm sure they will be produced to a certain degree but it wont meet initial demand. People will get tired of waiting for them and will eventually either go without or use an alternate version produced by someone else.

Just my prediction.

theJanitor
02-10-09, 16:40

i was just trying to be tactfully sarcastic. OP, the SEARCH function is not just your best friend, it's everyone's.

CleverNickname
02-10-09, 17:03

The fact that you can't search for <=3 letter strings is just because that's how the admins here have configured vBulletin. I assume it's what they thought was the best balance between speed/stress on the search engine and returning useful results.

Fireglock
02-11-09, 22:49
I thought I saw it listed in the 2009 catalog that was passed out at SHOT, so I would say yes. Or did I dream it?

Must have been a dream, I just checked and it's not there.

Danny Boy
02-11-09, 23:47
I asked Mr Costa at Shot show about the BAD.

(standing by to be corrected by someone more in the know than my peasant like self if what I was told has changed)

He told me (from what I remember) that they were looking at getting it into testing over the summer. The difference in tolerances from varying manufacturers of lower receiver will need some testing to ensure a good 'one size fits all' final production model that will be made out of polymer.

That's just what I was told at that particular moment in time about that product. I realize that stuff gets delayed or brought forward all the time. Just throwing it out there.

jahwarrior1423
04-09-09, 14:07
anything new?

HAIL-CAESAR
04-09-09, 14:42
That and do they work with all versions of Redi Mags and the Redi Mod?

Derek_Connor
04-09-09, 17:50
...... do they work with all versions of Redi Mags and the Redi Mod?

yes...

dookie1481
04-10-09, 11:54
The fact that you can't search for <=3 letter strings is just because that's how the admins here have configured vBulletin. I assume it's what they thought was the best balance between speed/stress on the search engine and returning useful results.

Google "site:m4carbine.net LMT"

Also searches archives.

Jay