PDA

View Full Version : Mec-Gar 18rd P226 9mm mags reliable enough for carry use?

Bob
02-10-09, 11:39
I have a few 15rd factory mags for my P226. I've gotten 'back into' my Sig recently, and I figured I'd buy some new magaznes for it.

Are the 18rd Mec-Gar magazines reliable enough for carry use? To get 3 extra rounds into the flush-fit body, something has gotta give, and I am guessing the follower is miinimal? I'd like 3 extra rounds, but not at the price of potential reliability. (If that is even an issue...)

On a related note, how are the 20rd SCT magazines? I'll probably throw one in on my other mag order, for kicks if nothing else.

TOrrock
02-10-09, 12:18
I've used the 17rd. mags for a couple years and haven't had any issues with them for the two years I've used them in classes and carry.

ToddG
02-10-09, 12:34
Personally, I wouldn't use them for carry. Three extra rounds seems great, but if it were that easy to increase capacity without compromising reliability the manufacturer (in this case, SIG) would switch to 18rd mags itself. After all, SIG buys their 15rd P226 mags from Mec-Gar.

Remember, every time you read about a serious LE or .mil test of a handgun, it is with the factory magazines. For an example of what can happen when you outsource mags from a different vendor, reference The United States Military.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-10-09, 14:27
I have some, shot them fine. Have some +2 mecgar extensions for 20 rounds of heat, that's 180mm to you and me.

I have a post called P226 mag-ology over on Sigforum, trying to get the lowdown on all the mag tubes and bases/extensions.

15,17,18 round mags, plus SWAT, SCT, and X-five mags all start to get me confused.

Bob
02-10-09, 14:34
...15,17,18 round mags, plus SWAT, SCT, and X-five mags all start to get me confused...

You and me both! I'll take a look for your thread at Sigforum.

Todd, that is exactly the reason I held off on buying them yet, pending research. 3 extra rounds is nice, but I want to hear lots of stories of people beating the hell out of said mags before I go for them...

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-10-09, 15:27
My post is not getting the answers I was hoping. There is a great post over there on 15 vs 18 round mags.

mrjones
02-10-09, 16:37
I have 9 of them, and they're great. 700 rounds or so downrange with 0 issues. The base pad is plastic, but I honestly like the way it fits flush better than the factory Sig mags.

I don't concealed carry though, so take that for what it's worth. Do I keep one loaded with 18 rounds of HST in my closet for things that go bump in the night? Yes.

Marcus L.
02-10-09, 17:34
I agree with Todd on this one. Sig Sauer chose to use 15rd magazines and keep them at 15rds most likely for the sake of reliability.

One thing to consider is that the 9mm cartridge has a slight taper to it and for full contact between the stacked cartridges the magazine must be curved. This is why H&K went from their early MP5 straight magazine to the later curved magazine to improve reliability. The longer the magazine, the more problems the 9mm has with feeding if the magazine is straight. Also, a partially loaded magazine has play in the front and if impacted from the bottom the cartridges will often nose-dive resulting in a weapon that will not function in the high capacity magazines. The IDF who are religious about their equipment working reliably under a wide range of extreme conditions, stopped using the straight 32rd and 50rd UZI magazines in the late 1970s because of reliability problems and stuck with the 25rd magazines. They also fielded some 32rd magazines, but the magazine curved just past the grip to improve reliability.

mrjones
02-10-09, 21:06
They feed reliably. The slide locks back when they're empty. They drop free. Lather, rinse, repeat. What more can I say?

Jack_Stroker
02-11-09, 11:48
Personally, I wouldn't use them for carry. Three extra rounds seems great, but if it were that easy to increase capacity without compromising reliability the manufacturer (in this case, SIG) would switch to 18rd mags itself. After all, SIG buys their 15rd P226 mags from Mec-Gar.

Remember, every time you read about a serious LE or .mil test of a handgun, it is with the factory magazines. For an example of what can happen when you outsource mags from a different vendor, reference The United States Military.

I couldn't agree more. I've heard enough horror stories (and have a few bad experiences of my own) with after market magazines in the 92FS/M9.

rathos
02-12-09, 16:14
Talked to a sig rep about this. He says the only reason they don't use the larger mags is because the standards are already expensive enough. If you look at the price difference its usually substancial. If they went to the 18-20 mags as a standard it would just raise the price. A few guys in my department use the 13-15 round .40S&W mags, and they have had no issues in the hundreds of rounds they have shot through them. The only issue is on the ones that aren't flush fit it makes it harder to conceal the gun when off duty.

I would say go for it.

Marcus L.
02-12-09, 17:32
From Midway USA:
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=7&categoryId=15107&categoryString=10613***687***11341***8905***

P226 Mec-Gar 18rd magazines: $29.99
P226 Sig Sauer 15rd magazines: $34.99(Mec-Gar made in Italy)

The cost of using a different follower, and a different spring is quite small. I doubt that the cost of using 15rds instead of 18rds is Sig Sauer's modivaiton for using 15rd magazine. The UK recently adopted the P226 as they are phasing out their FN Highpowers and they are sticking with the 15rd magazine.

davemcdonald
02-12-09, 17:57
Sig is using them. The Blackwater tactical with four of them.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=192

The Sig store also sells them.

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=27&productid=242

I think MecGar knows as much or more about making magazines that work as Sig does about make pistols but that is just my biased opinion.

ToddG
02-13-09, 00:05
A few guys in my department use the 13-15 round .40S&W mags, and they have had no issues in the hundreds of rounds they have shot through them.

Respectfully, how mags run for "hundreds of rounds" isn't really the issue. How will they run after being kept loaded for three years? How will they run after getting drenched in mud, buried in sand, etc.? Is there any increase in MRBS with the extra-capacity magazines?

One would assume that if the higher capacity magazines are 100% as functional and durable as the standard capacity ones then SIG would be including them in all their guns. When is "lower capacity" ever a selling point?

A gun that is sold through commercial channels and not intended for LE use. Does it still have a RED front night sight GREEN rear dots? :rolleyes:

I think MecGar knows as much or more about making magazines that work as Sig does about make pistols but that is just my biased opinion.

I'd agree with that 100%. But Mec-Gar also has a history of making extra capacity magazines which are good but not as durable or reliable as the "factory" ones (which were also made by Mec-Gar). At least, that was the opinion of the Beretta and SIG engineers when I worked at those two companies.

padwan
02-13-09, 03:24
I had the extra capacity Mec Gars for the BHP, in addition to the MecGar OEMs. The OEMs held 13 rds as opposed to the extra capacity's 15 but they ran reliably for the three years I had the pistol.

The extra capacity ones showed noticeably weaker springs after six months of use. (They were always loaded to capacity unless they were being used at the range.) Had a few skips. Slide cycled but round didn't strip from the mag. Didn't happen often, but I did note that it never happened with the OEM mags. Ammo was standard pressure 124gr ball.

jjw
02-14-09, 21:08
since Sig has mec gar making the mags for their guns. i would say u are gtg
Sig's agreement to not let mec gar sell 15 rd mag to the public is just another reason not to own a Sig.

i have sold over 400 mec gar mags a year for the last 6 years and feel they are the finest in the business
i carry them in my HP and Beretta's when ever i use these guns for anything. and yes i would bet my life on them.

i dont sell any for ruger or Sig as both companies exploit the consumer and there are much better companies to give my business to. i was offered sig samples at the show and politely refused.
f.y.i the mec gar folks are 1 of the best in the industry. note they put xpower springs in the higher cap mags, and they roll their own

they make mags for

Springfield
Sig
Beretta
HP
smith
CZ and several other that slip my mind

best of luck with them

tpd223
02-15-09, 04:47
I used the Mec Gar 17 and 20 round mags for my then duty weapons, S&W 3rd gen 9mms, for years. Never had an issue.

Mec Gar makes very good magazines.

Bob
02-15-09, 23:31

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=192

The Sig store also sells them.

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=27&productid=242

Looks like it comes with 4 of the 20rd 'SCT' magazines? (Which are the new version of the 20rd 'SWAT' magazines, I am guessing?)

I think what I will wind up doing is picking up a few new 15rd magazines for carry use for the time being, and a sampling of the larger capacity magazines, and run those at the range to see what I can see...

Bigun
02-16-09, 09:24
Meg Gar mags have been perfect in all of my weapons, Beretta 92 FS and D model Centurion, A Argentine FMP FN Highpower copy that wasnt reliable with the factory mags is completely reliable with these, Hell I even bought 4-9 rounders for my STI Trojan .38 Super and these work as well as the single Metalform that came with the gun for $10 less. I'm completely sold on their products.:D

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-17-09, 10:23
Looks like it comes with 4 of the 20rd 'SCT' magazines? (Which are the new version of the 20rd 'SWAT' magazines, I am guessing?)

I think what I will wind up doing is picking up a few new 15rd magazines for carry use for the time being, and a sampling of the larger capacity magazines, and run those at the range to see what I can see...

I thought the SWAT 20rd mags had dimples on the side near the bottom. The SCT mags are the same as MECGAR 20rnd AFC mags, right.

I was planning on running 18 and 20rnd MECGARS thru a Sig at the Magpul pistol class in June. 2000 rounds will tell me what I need to know.

Bob
02-17-09, 10:27
I thought the SWAT 20rd mags had dimples on the side near the bottom. The SCT mags are the same as MECGAR 20rnd AFC mags, right...

I don't have one of the 'new' SCT 20rd mags to compare to, but from pictures, it looks like the new mags are the same as the old SWAT, with the addition of a plastic thingee on the new SCTs. But that's just guessing. I'll find out soon, placing my mag order later today...