PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on SOPMOD stocks

Ice Cream Man
06-20-06, 17:59
I am going to be getting a LMT lower in the very near future and I was thinking of getting one with the SOPMOD stock. I was wondering how you guys that have them like them or would you recommend something else?

Dport
06-20-06, 18:12
They're well built, comfortable and don't work for me.

mark5pt56
06-20-06, 18:16
I really like them, they add about 1" to the length, no biggie. For me, I can shoot it with it all of the way in.

BravoCompanyUSA
06-20-06, 18:46
They are great stocks, but my personal stock is Vltor.

bigbore
06-20-06, 18:58
They are great stocks, but my personal stock is Vltor.

Same here, the spare $100 can then be spent on practice ammo.:)

molsen
06-20-06, 19:00
They are nice, but ridiculously over-priced. There is nothing about them that justifies their cost.

C4IGrant
06-20-06, 19:03
I am going to be getting a LMT lower in the very near future and I was thinking of getting one with the SOPMOD stock. I was wondering how you guys that have them like them or would you recommend something else?

I have run this stock for many years now and regard it as one of the best collapsible stocks on the market today. The main downside to it is the cost.

C4

Voodoochild
06-20-06, 19:53
Peronally they just look to busy to me. That and the price is a main detraction.

Stickman
06-20-06, 22:08
The SOPMOD/ LMT is a VERY nice stock, but as already mentioned, that is a lot of cabbage. Try to play with it, and a Vltor side by side to see what feels better in your hands.

To me, the LMT has a more solid feel than the Vltor, but at double the price, I can't say that its twice as nice.

k9dpd
06-21-06, 00:21
Just got one today on my new LMT lower and I really like it so far, I am a tried and true Magpul stock fan but I like it so far, I have tried the Vltor and didnt car for it.

ShortyB
06-22-06, 11:34
I thought I really liked the Vltor untill I tryed the SOPMOD.

The cheek weld is great. What I like most is the extra length of the stock body.
I keep the stock on the first position (shortest) and my cheek is completly on the stock body.

Ice Cream Man
06-22-06, 18:05
Thank you everyone for your opinion I'm going to have to compare the SOPMOD to the Vltor to see which I like better. The only thing that sways me a little towards the SOPMOD is it is only $110 more for the lower with the stock, which isn't to bad compared to the price of the SOPMOD on its own. Thanks again for your opinions.

RyanB
06-23-06, 20:56
I prefer the feel of the VLTOR, but on a heavy gun I like the SOPMOD on the back. The extra 8 ounces or whatever the difference is really helps balance the weapon. My lightweight gun sports a VLTOR.

Robb Jensen
06-24-06, 05:35
The LMT/SOPMOD is very nice and like many here I much prefer the VLTOR (non clubfoot) like I have on my SBR. I like the option of being able to make the stock thinner just by going to the thinner non battery holding side panels. I got to handle the CTR Magpul and shot and I think it will be a huge success once released.

CapnCrunch
06-24-06, 05:41
I've tried to like the SOPMOD for a long time, and it just doesn't work for me. The added length over the VLTOR is nice, but I think it's just a tad too long. The rubber buttplate hardmounted to the stock itself is a good idea, but it's just too grippy for my tastes.

That's just MY opinion. Whenever the CTR comes out, I'll try it out with setups that previously had SOPMOD and Colt M4 (my second favorite) stocks.

In case you guys haven't noticed, I like VLTOR stocks a lot. They're dirt simple, lightweight, cost-efficient, and hold up a lot better than other stocks out there.

gcpd19
06-24-06, 09:32
I agree with everyone on this, great stock, but for the price and versitility Vltor has been my personal option for over a year.

ETA: I prefer the clubfoot Vltor for personal reasons, but it is up to the end user and what you need it for.

twl
06-24-06, 10:23
I like the cheek-weld that it gives.

But, I saw no use for the battery storage or the butt-pad, and removed those items for my use.

Then, it weighed less, did what I wanted, and I liked it.

I'm sure that the VLTOR and others could do what I wanted also, but I haven't tried them.

C4IGrant
06-24-06, 10:56
I like the cheek-weld that it gives.

But, I saw no use for the battery storage or the butt-pad, and removed those items for my use.

Then, it weighed less, did what I wanted, and I liked it.

I'm sure that the VLTOR and others could do what I wanted also, but I haven't tried them.

Shoot your AR one handed for at least 30rds. You will then know why a rubber buttpad is a 100% must.

C4

CapnCrunch
06-24-06, 11:45
Shoot your AR one handed for at least 30rds. You will then know why a rubber buttpad is a 100% must.

C4

I like a buttpad, but the one the SOPMOD can be a hindrance. If only VLTOR could come up with a way to hard mount their pad (hint, hint) it'd be awesome. The VLTOR pad is just right on texture, but the ziptie solution isn't optimal by any means. I bandsawed the top loop off of one of my VLTORs, so I'm going to try modding a Colt M4 stock pad to fit. I'll probably just AcraGlas the SOB on there or something. If that works, they'll all get "the treatment".

C4IGrant
06-24-06, 11:58
I like a buttpad, but the one the SOPMOD can be a hindrance. If only VLTOR could come up with a way to hard mount their pad (hint, hint) it'd be awesome. The VLTOR pad is just right on texture, but the ziptie solution isn't optimal by any means. I bandsawed the top loop off of one of my VLTORs, so I'm going to try modding a Colt M4 stock pad to fit. I'll probably just AcraGlas the SOB on there or something. If that works, they'll all get "the treatment".

I agree. I like integrated rubber buttpads.

C4

twl
06-24-06, 15:24

C4

Hmmm.

I don't seem to notice any problem in that regard.
Perhaps it is the thin layer of non-slip stuff that I put on the back end of my stock that helped out with that.

C4IGrant
06-24-06, 16:18
Hmmm.

I don't seem to notice any problem in that regard.
Perhaps it is the thin layer of non-slip stuff that I put on the back end of my stock that helped out with that.

Non-slip stuff? Is that the technical name for it? :D I would be VERY surprised if any spray on solution would last/hold up to real use.

In the recent 10-8 class I was in, I watched guys with much greater arm strength than I fail to keep their weapon shouldered. The instructors quickly pointed out that rubber butt pads are must for this very reason.

C4

twl
06-24-06, 16:56
Non-slip stuff? Is that the technical name for it? :D I would be VERY surprised if any spray on solution would last/hold up to real use.

In the recent 10-8 class I was in, I watched guys with much greater arm strength than I fail to keep their weapon shouldered. The instructors quickly pointed out that rubber butt pads are must for this very reason.

C4

Oh yes! "Non-Slip stuff" is the latest in "go-faster" carbine mods!
:D

All I did was rough-up the buttplate, and put on a thin layer of black silicone seal, and that worked, and has lasted for a long time now.
Maybe it might eventually come off.

Actually, my arm strength is not all that great, but my gun seems to be pretty well under control as far as reciprocating movement is concerned.

Voodoochild
06-25-06, 13:34
You might want to try a C.A.A. STOCK SADDLE I hear it is pretty good and costs alot less than a LMT SOPMOD stock.

VA_Dinger
06-27-06, 11:39
I love the LMT SOPOD. I have owned several of them including one of the CRANE originals. That being said, I own Vltors now. I prefer to run my stock fully extended and the added length of the SOPOD made it just a hair too long for me. The Vltor is just about the perfect length for me when fully extended. The nice part is I could afford two Vltors for the price of one used LMT SOPOD.

Manx
06-27-06, 12:41
I like the Vltor and LMT SOPMOD stocks, but they don't really do much for me as I typically shoot with my nose to the charging handle which places my cheek mostly on the buffer tube instead of on the sloped cheekpiece. Maybe if I wore a ballistic vest and shorted the stock it would help, but typically I have the stock fully extended and cheek on the buffer tube. Anyone else experience this or am I just a mutant?

S-1
06-27-06, 19:40
I love the Crane/LMT stock. The cheek weld is great and it is solid. I have the "standard" stock on my M4 and the Crane on my CQBR. For some reason I like to keep my M4 simple with the basics, iron sights, KAC rail and a light. My CQBR on the other hand has all the gizmos.

Rmplstlskn
06-30-06, 12:30
I like the SOPMOD because it doesn't pull the hairs of my beard. :eek:

Other reasons have already been stated.

Rmpl :D

nickdrak
07-03-06, 21:01
I like the Vltor and LMT SOPMOD stocks, but they don't really do much for me as I typically shoot with my nose to the charging handle which places my cheek mostly on the buffer tube instead of on the sloped cheekpiece. Maybe if I wore a ballistic vest and shorted the stock it would help, but typically I have the stock fully extended and cheek on the buffer tube. Anyone else experience this or am I just a mutant?

I have the same issue with the Vltor stock when shooting "nose-to-charging-handle", but not with the SOPMOD. With the SOPMOD my entire cheek-rest is entirely supported by the stock, with the Vltor my cheek is on the buffer tube.

Loner
07-04-06, 06:49
I like the sopmod very much and its very well made the only downside to it is its price. the magpul ctr should just be as good if not better when it comes out and at hlaf the price its tough to beat! I'm anxiously waiting the ctr but I'm still keeping my sopmod :D

LukeMacGillie
07-04-06, 06:55

AFAIC, that is the only thing the SOPMOD has over the voltor!

WMHM4
07-04-06, 06:57
Price usally is not an issue with me, if there is something I really want I will pay whatever it is to get it but for some reason I will not spend the money on the LMT stock. I'm happy with my Vltor and like Stick said it's not twice as nice

jdgiii
08-15-06, 22:07
I am very happy with my LMT SOPMOD. It is solid, doesn't rattle, gives me a great cheek weld, and I appreciate it's simple, clean design. I would never pay full price for one though. It took me a year to finally snatch one up at a relatively decent price. It was worth the wait.

Cyclic240B
08-15-06, 22:21

+1!

My occasional "scrub" discoved the VLTOR shortcomming the hard way. Never again! :D

TWR
08-16-06, 07:45
Most people I know thought I was crazy to spend the extra money until they tried it for themselves. I like the SOPMOD stock and have 2 of them on my scoped carbines but my M4 has the LMT M4 stock, at least for now.

I do think they're overpriced for what they are but what isn't these days?

dubb-1
08-16-06, 09:18
The LMT feels more substantial, and yes, weighs more than the VLTOR. Though I have never felt the VLTOR was insufficient, there is a more solid feel to the LMT. I decided on VLTOR stocks because of two reasons; 1) for prone shots requiring top level accuracy, the Clubfoot feels perfect when pushed into the shoulder by your off-hand, and 2) because I saw my carbines becoming smaller and smaller, and I (at the time) appreciated the weight savings. Today, I would try an LMT in a heartbeat, except, my current VLTOR stocks haven't given me a reason to look elsewhere.

9DivDoc
08-16-06, 13:10
Shoot your AR one handed for at least 30rds. You will then know why a (an integrated) rubber buttpad is a 100% must.

+1

My wife really likes hers and prefers it much over the Magpul (M-93 transformer version) or the GI (CMT version)...though she has not tried a VLTOR....

I am anxiously awaiting the UBR

Harv
08-16-06, 16:36
I just acquired a SOPMOD with my New LMT Lower, and I gotta tell ya. I really like it. I never had a problem with my VLTOR and the ZipTied Rubber pad holds up well. But like everyone said. The cheek weld and the rock solidness of it along with the Built in rubber pad is selling me quickly. I may sell my VLTOR to an interested party as I feel it may get the basement treatment for quite awhile.

meateater
08-16-06, 16:38
i,vegot both vltor and lmt.
i prefer the sopmod stock, it has less play.
it's worth the price i.mh.o.

08-16-06, 19:43
You might want to try a C.A.A. STOCK SADDLE I hear it is pretty good and costs alot less than a LMT SOPMOD stock.

Those things give "hokey" a whole new meaning!

I will never understand why folks bolt that floppy piece of garage to their stocks?

Voodoochild
08-16-06, 20:14
Those things give "hokey" a whole new meaning!

I will never understand why folks bolt that floppy piece of garage to their stocks?

I have spoken to a few people who have them and say that they are actually very useful and well made.

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 16:22

I have a LMT Defender 2000 M4 I bought this year.

It has the SOPMOD stock and I love it alot! Very Strong.

Much Better than my VLTOR that sits on my Bushwhacker

LMT is growing on me ALOT
There M4 barrels are Very accurate.
The 2 I have love Black hills 77gr and MK262 the best

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 17:17
BTW
If you want to SAVE money

I would just buy a SADDLE for the regular Telestock!

I think the VLTOR is over priced as well !

The saddle will give you a good cheek rest and storage just like the VLTOR/SOPMOD

GastonG-NoVa
08-25-06, 21:09
I have a bunch of different ones. If you don't need the battery compartment the new Magpul stock is very nice. GotM4 was talking about it as well. I have one and I think it is my favorite.
I was told they were only making it for mil-spec tubes though, so if you have an LMT or a Colt you should be ok. I may be wrong on the last bit of info as I heard it second hand.

Keep your head down
G