PDA

View Full Version : Lefty as a righty, maybe?

Nathan_Bell
02-10-09, 17:05
Thinking of putting a precision rig together and was considering going with a lefty action.

Some folks have been pitching the idea that having the bolt on the left aids in a faster follow up shot, due to you not having to get off of the trigger or break cheek weld.

Does this approach work? If it does, does it work well enough to set-up a rig based on this approach?

any input appreciated.

Gutshot John
02-10-09, 17:16
Thinking of putting a precision rig together and was considering going with a lefty action.

Some folks have been pitching the idea that having the bolt on the left aids in a faster follow up shot, due to you not having to get off of the trigger or break cheek weld.

Does this approach work? If it does, does it work well enough to set-up a rig based on this approach?

any input appreciated.

You're right-handed but want to go with a left-hand action?

Yes, this works (as I'm lefty and shoot right-handed actions) IF you have a stock that has a pistol grip or is modified such that the bolt clears your strong-hand. On my '03 I usually cycle the bolt with my strong hand over the rear of the bolt.

I don't know that it's worth getting a left-handed action though. I've only done it because I have to.

theJanitor
02-10-09, 17:39
it's give or take. from the bench or prone with a bag/bipod, it's very fast. but shooting anything off hand makes it very difficult as your supporting your entire rifle from the rear of the gun. if you use a sling that you need to wrap your support arm into, then it makes cycling the bolt difficult as well.

maximus83
02-11-09, 01:31
As a LH shooter, I've tried owning rifles both ways, and though I've heard some good arguments for getting an opposite-handed action, ultimately I've gone back to use a true LH action for a LH shooter in my bolt rifles. I don't really want to have a rifle, other than a benchrest or competition gun, that I cannot shoot offhand.

maximus83
02-11-09, 01:33
BTW, here's a whole thread that went on here awhile back about this subject:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16391

Nathan_Bell
02-11-09, 08:45
BTW, here's a whole thread that went on here awhile back about this subject:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16391

Thanks.