PDA

View Full Version : Experience with DD M4

lovetashoot
02-10-09, 17:10
Looking at getting a Daniel Defense M4 and was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with one. If so, what did/do you think. The price seems reasonable all things considered.

John_Wayne777
02-10-09, 17:15
There aren't very many of them out there yet, so odds are there aren't that many people with firsthand experience with them.

There have been some DD uppers out there for a while and without exception they have been very well regarded in regards to their quality, features, and function.

TOrrock
02-10-09, 17:27
There were two being run in this past weekend's Vickers Tactical 3 Day Level I class.

Larry ran one as did David Kenik. Both performed flawlessly and looked to be really solid carbines, especially at the price point that they will be at.

First 3 pics taken by MAP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/383022ef.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/P1010548.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/8b80e3b8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/45d5144d.jpg

spamsammich
02-10-09, 18:06
They are staking the castle nuts aren't they?

TOrrock
02-10-09, 18:12
I do believe they are spamsammich.

Another "action" shot by MAP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/bb3efe89.jpg

Jay Cunningham
02-10-09, 18:12
LAV rockin' the vert grip!

TOrrock
02-10-09, 18:20
LAV rockin' the vert grip!

Surely a sign of the End Times. :D

Actually, LAV was running a stock DD carbine, which had a DD forward grip on it.

I don't think his views on forward grips has changed, but I can't and won't speak for Larry. :cool:

Pic by MAP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/2110dc41.jpg

John_Wayne777
02-10-09, 18:23
I'm planning on buying one whenever Grant gets them in...

markm
02-10-09, 18:38
Is that a beard hair hanging of the right side of the stock between the stock and R.E.?

sapper36
02-10-09, 19:20
Mine should be here tommarow!!!!:cool:

MAP
02-10-09, 20:45
Templar,

Great shots! Any photo credits? :rolleyes:

Mike

TOrrock
02-10-09, 21:04
Templar,

Great shots! Any photo credits? :rolleyes:

Mike

Sure man, didn't remember your screen name and didn't want to use your real name.

Thanks for taking them.

:cool:

Fringe
02-10-09, 21:06
does anyone know when these are shipping?

Robb Jensen
02-10-09, 21:15
They are shipping, we sold 2 on Friday.

Stickman
02-10-09, 22:08
They've been shipping for the past week+, and yes, they are staked in all the right places.

Iraqgunz
02-11-09, 01:49
I bought mine from AIM Surplus. My wife called them on Monday and she said that they were a week or so behind in filling orders, but it should be getting shipped soon. My CDD lower from Rainier Arms shipped yesterday as well.

CLHC
02-11-09, 11:27
< Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1283) > has them in stock.

Sigmax
02-11-09, 17:38
Looking at getting a Daniel Defense M4 and was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with one. If so, what did/do you think. The price seems reasonable all things considered.

I took the class the pics are from and got a chance to look at the DD M4 that David had. It looked very well put together and they functioned flawlessly. I looked at David's because I have one on order with Grant and wanted to see one up close up and in person.

The only thing I did not like about it was the light mount that they had included with David's gun. It looked a bit wide and I would replace it with a x300. But I did not notice a hiccup with either gun, functioned 100%.

I liked it when Larry using it to demo malfunction drills

LAV: "And Gents...notice the Flared magwell"

Us: whooooo ahhhhhhhhhh

bullseye
02-11-09, 18:33
i have two of the d.d. uppers, have not "wrung them out", shoot great so far with no problems and look really good to my simple self. it's fairly easy to see the quality in the d.d. stuff. matter of fact,,, i gave one to my grandson on a smith lower,,,now that's a recommendation from me [and an eotech 552, you know these kids]

Iraqgunz
02-13-09, 13:28
A little update. I purchased a DD M4 from AIM Surplus about 2 weeks ago. They told me that they would b arriving anyday, yada,yada,yada. So anyways my wife called to get an update and they said "they are backordered and we don't know when they will be shipping mine out". So we canceled. Contacted Rainier Arms and they just got 10 in about 20 minutes ago. Mine will be shipping out today as per their email. They are getting 20 more next week.

sapper36
02-13-09, 16:31
Yup, Rainer had mine to me in about a week. I took some pics of it next to my LMT but then had every AA battery in the house die:mad:

Outlander Systems
02-13-09, 16:34
Is DD offering the VFG as a stand-alone item?

crossgun
02-13-09, 17:06
Got mine about a week ago and it will make its way to the range this weekend. Of all the AR rifles I have, and I have a few, I think it is my most favorite. It has everything an operator could want right out of the box and no extra fluff! Pricing is more than fair IMO. I’m not at all concerned with it running. I know it will. The components and overall quality are excellent as well as the fit and finish.

Because the rifle is so nice I could not help but notice that the included DD rear receiver swivel attachment did not match perfectly the profile of the rear of the receiver. It’s a little long and if it really bothered me I would contact DD and I know they would send me another. I bought my rifle to run and beat the hell out of, it will not be a safe queen.

Not sure what I think about the included VFG. While it is functional and locks down tight it just falls a little short in appearance again in my opinion compared to the rest of the rifle. I did replace the mil-spec pistol grip with a MIAD. The mil-spec just didn’t do the overall package justice. I would have assumed that this was discussed and that the design team did not want to commit to another item that could put delivery, especially in this current environment, of the rifle in jeopardy
like the included Magpul MOE butt stock and PMAG.

This rifle is the one to own and take to the fight.

I will let you know how wonderful it runs in a few days.

sapper36
02-13-09, 20:26
Here are some pics

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC01781.jpg?t=1234577155

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/sapper5353/DSC01777.jpg?t=1234577467

My first impresions are great. Next to my LMT they are equal in every way my untrained eye has noticed. Of course the A2 grip had to go first. Things that have changed my way of thinking a bit are the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that it was lighter than my LMT, alot lighter. Wieght does not bother me to much because I am used to carrying around current body armor etc. But I dont need to do that here so lighter may be better!! The LMT has 6 123 batteries in the stock because the surefire on it requires three to run it. The vertical grip on the DD will hold 2 batteries and with the X 300 I am thinking about changing the LMT set up to match the DD. I never thought I would need or want the longer rails but a big plus to me is that with the 300 in the 12 oclock position, turning the light on accidentally is not going to happen, but if I want to turn it on I can reach it and not lose any control of the rifle. Might change that on the LMT too. The one thing I did not like was the rear sight, I have gotten used to having a front sight in my view but both and the aimpoint was a little busy for me so it may go away. Anyway, just one guys thoughts, this weekend I have a dance competition (daughter) and a wrestling match (son) so there will be no shooting :mad:

Fringe
02-13-09, 22:04
A little update. I purchased a DD M4 from AIM Surplus about 2 weeks ago. They told me that they would b arriving anyday, yada,yada,yada. So anyways my wife called to get an update and they said "they are backordered and we don't know when they will be shipping mine out". So we canceled. Contacted Rainier Arms and they just got 10 in about 20 minutes ago. Mine will be shipping out today as per their email. They are getting 20 more next week.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciated this heads up IG! As soon as I read it I called AIM and cancelled and while waiting, decided I just HAD to add a Mosin Nagant to the collection and then cancelled the DD M4. Then quickly called RA and ordered one of theirs in stock and should have it next week. I was in the same boat as you and normally would not care, but I have a class coming up soon and really want to run this rifle, so I paid the extra $50 to get it now from RA. Good thing is that I splurged and got the Hexagonal Mosin Nagant and 800 rounds and my DD M4 in one feld swoop. Thanks IG and I know you are overseas serving our country and can just dream about getting to your new DD M4 and it makes me proud to know this. You are a god man and a patriot. God Bless and thanks again for the heads up all the way in the desert.
Take care.

PlatoCATM
02-13-09, 22:11
Do you all advocate any sort of "break in" with brand new, high-end AR's, or do you just sight them in and roll out? I am thinking about buying DDM4 and hope to get it in time for an EAG carbine course.

Jay Cunningham
02-13-09, 22:13
Do you all advocate any sort of "break in" with brand new, high-end AR's, or do you just sight them in and roll out? I am thinking about buying DDM4 and hope to get it in time for an EAG carbine course.

Generally speaking, an AR does not need any type of break-in.

thopkins22
02-13-09, 22:31
You are a god man and a patriot.

Careful, you'll inflate his head.:D

Are there any perceived issues with running an X300 so close to the fsb? I know they're supposed to be rock solid lights, and x200 I have on my Glock seems to hold up to the hype, but I wonder about the heat.

PlatoCATM
02-13-09, 22:41
OK, that has been my limited experience (exclusively with colts), but even these were not subjected to 1300 rds in just a few days.

Gentoo
02-14-09, 03:10
Are you sure AIM actually had it on backorder?

When I called to check the shipping status of mine, they guy on the phone said something about backorder, but I remember when I placed the order I specifically asked about stock status and told they were in hand. After a bit of checking, he corrected and said oh, it shipped.

I have it in hand, got it yesterday. Will write up a better post with pics later today when I get home.

Iraqgunz
02-14-09, 03:48
Glad I could help. Let me clarify that I am just an Evil Contractor and the men and women in our military who are serving really should get the praise and support.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciated this heads up IG! As soon as I read it I called AIM and cancelled and while waiting, decided I just HAD to add a Mosin Nagant to the collection and then cancelled the DD M4. Then quickly called RA and ordered one of theirs in stock and should have it next week. I was in the same boat as you and normally would not care, but I have a class coming up soon and really want to run this rifle, so I paid the extra $50 to get it now from RA. Good thing is that I splurged and got the Hexagonal Mosin Nagant and 800 rounds and my DD M4 in one feld swoop. Thanks IG and I know you are overseas serving our country and can just dream about getting to your new DD M4 and it makes me proud to know this. You are a god man and a patriot. God Bless and thanks again for the heads up all the way in the desert.
Take care.

Iraqgunz
02-14-09, 03:55
I ordered mine like a day or two after they put them on the website. My wife placed the order and they told her it was GTG. Then she checked back about 7 days later and they said "yeah we are a little behind right now" but it should go out soon. Then she called yesterday and They said the it was in a "backorder status and they didn't know when it would ship". So we got ahold of Rainier Arms and he said "no worries I just got 10 of them in, place the order and it will go out today". So we did and he called her and told her it was shipped today. I don't like getting stroked along and when someone can't give me a straight answer then I can spend my money somewhere else.

Are you sure AIM actually had it on backorder?

When I called to check the shipping status of mine, they guy on the phone said something about backorder, but I remember when I placed the order I specifically asked about stock status and told they were in hand. After a bit of checking, he corrected and said oh, it shipped.

I have it in hand, got it yesterday. Will write up a better post with pics later today when I get home.

sapper36
02-14-09, 06:05
Are there any perceived issues with running an X300 so close to the fsb? I know they're supposed to be rock solid lights, and x200 I have on my Glock seems to hold up to the hype, but I wonder about the heat.

I dont "think" so, that 300 has been on a 1911 for a good amount of rounds with no problem. One thing is that because of the rails its very hard to get the light on there. I dont like the quick connect they came with so I just bolt it on. I am going to order the Larue mount to get it on there solid and still be able to take it off quickly.

Derek_Connor
02-14-09, 08:17
I dont "think" so, that 300 has been on a 1911 for a good amount of rounds with no problem. One thing is that because of the rails its very hard to get the light on there. I dont like the quick connect they came with so I just bolt it on. I am going to order the Larue mount to get it on there solid and still be able to take it off quickly.

I believe the larue mount you will order will push the X300 to high up on the sight plane, and will block your BUIS completely. IF you keep the light infront of the FSB of course..

Fringe
02-14-09, 15:59
Glad I could help. Let me clarify that I am just an Evil Contractor and the men and women in our military who are serving really should get the praise and support.

Yeah, evil contractor according to the National Obama Press Corp. You are a freaking patriot and just as good as any service man or woman in my opinion. I think the flack you guys are taking is total BS.

Fringe
02-14-09, 16:00
I believe the larue mount you will order will push the X300 to high up on the sight plane, and will block your BUIS completely. IF you keep the light infront of the FSB of course..

Damn, this true? I was hoping to do the same. What do you all do, just run it with its standard setup?

Derek_Connor
02-14-09, 16:02
Damn, this true? I was hoping to do the same. What do you all do, just run it with its standard setup?

roger

shootmovecomm
02-14-09, 16:06
I spoke with Joe Marler at DD about 3 weeks ago and he said that 7000 alone where sold at the 2009 Shot Show and that production is around the clock! They will soon be producing their own barrells and they have purchased a hammer forge. My understanding is that a 10.3 version is in the works. I swear by these guys, their operational support, and their products! All top shelf! I have been using an upper that they custom built for me for operational purposes and it is fantastic. Solid company run and staffed by solid people

QuickStrike
02-14-09, 16:38
I spoke with Jay Marler at DD about 3 weeks ago and he said that 7000 alone where sold at the 2009 Shot Show and that production is around the clock! They will soon be producing their own barrells and they have purchased a hammer forge. My understanding is that a 10.3 version is in the works. I swear by these guys, their operational support, and their products! All top shelf! I have been using an upper that they custom built for me for operational purposes and it is fantastic. Solid company run and staffed by solid people

If they made a hammer-forged middy, I'd lose ALL self restraint... :eek:

shootmovecomm
02-14-09, 18:32
A pretty progressive company so it would not suprise me at all.

VA_Dinger
02-14-09, 18:38
I got the chance to check out LAV's personal DD M4 last weekend and came away very impressed. It is one hell of a rifle and it's certainly going to turn heads in the industry.

I will be ordering one ASAP.

Spooky130
02-14-09, 20:58
If they made a hammer-forged middy, I'd lose ALL self restraint... :eek:

Same here. Good to see DD really making an impact in the market.

Spooky

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 08:51
My interactions with DD have been nothing but 110% positive. I never really thought of them bringing full guns to the market, but what I've heard offline and here as well, warms me through out.

trunkmonkey
02-15-09, 13:14
I'd gladly trade my NIB 6920 for a DD M4 right now.

Remy
02-15-09, 14:34
We want Middy's.......we want Middy's......we want Middy's.......Middy's RULE!!

Sam
02-16-09, 12:46
Woo hoo, just got a call from Daniel Defense, my rifle will go into the UPS shipping system this afternoon.

shootmovecomm
02-16-09, 12:50
Start showing pictures of these things after they come in and are setup!!!!!!!!!!

kgreen
02-16-09, 14:36
Anyone know of any dealers in Georgia that have these in stock? Can't find any in the metro Atlanta area.

trunkmonkey
02-16-09, 15:01
So what is the best price that guys are finding for these?

Fringe
02-16-09, 20:06
Best so far I have seen was $1550 at AIM, but they are back ordered, so I ponied the extra $50 and picked one up at Rainier. Only reason is I want to run it in a class coming up and I did not want to risk not running it. Otherwise I would have waited with AIM.

mtdawg169
02-16-09, 20:28
Anyone know of any dealers in Georgia that have these in stock? Can't find any in the metro Atlanta area.

sad isn't it. Can't find one of these rifles in DD's home state. I wonder if Polite Society will be carrying them?

Sam
02-16-09, 21:38

Daniel Defense is only a phone call away.

I know that Mark from Polite Society was at the SHOT show, whether he saw the DD M4's on display, I don't know, he was pretty busy hanging out at the Advance Armaments booth. I also ran into a salesman from American Classic Marksman gun store and range, maybe he saw the guns or maybe he didn't care. Let's hope they were smart and place a huge order.

Maybe when mine comes in via another FFL dealer, I'll take it to a few gun stores and convince them to order some.

g5m
02-17-09, 13:45
For those of you who actually have experience with these, how do they compare to the Charles Daly's? It seems to me thay would be equivalent quality but DD has a rail. Anything else of importance?
(Looking at the specs makes them look very similar).

Sam
02-17-09, 14:47
For those of you who actually have experience with these, how do they compare to the Charles Daly's? It seems to me thay would be equivalent quality but DD has a rail. Anything else of importance?

The rail alone would run at least $300 as an add on option. The Daniel Defense also has an enlarged and beveled magazine well and for those that cared, the curved trigger guard that is now a very popular item. The DD fixed rear sight looks very nice also.

I wouldn't feel outgunned if I had to choose the Charles Daly. I have their lower and it's very good and attractively priced at the time.

g5m
02-17-09, 21:21
Thank you. That's about what I had come up with but the larger magazine well might be a significant advance, if it functions as well as a 1911 bevelled mag well.

Stickman
02-17-09, 22:31

Rail

BUIS

MOE stock

Rear sling mount

VFG

FVC3
02-19-09, 13:58
Today at lunch, I bought a DD M4 at GT Distributors in Rossville GA. It's a pretty nice setup right out of the box. The build quality is excellent, with one of the cleanest- looking upper and lowers I've ever seen. M16 BCG with all the goodness you'd expect. The MOE stock is an upgrade - and it's tight and rattle free on the tube. One of the things I like best is the lightness of the rifle, while still having all that rail out front. Beveled mag well is a real winner,too. I paid $1499.00 and I'm very pleased with that, in this funky market. I'll let you know how it shoots tomorrow afternoon.

lovetashoot
02-19-09, 17:28
Just ordered one. They have several more in stock. So far, they have been extremely nice to deal with.

www.rainierarms.com

Sam
02-19-09, 20:58
And here she is from plain to accesorized:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m4_001.jpg

Front QD sling slot:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m4_003.jpg

Rear QD sling mount and DD BUIS:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m4_002.jpg

Old trusty Aimpoint ML2 on Larue mount:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m4_004.jpg

Streamlight TLR-1 light mounted at 12 o'clock and my cut off view of the VFG, the light switch is easily manipulated by my short thumb using the high hold:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m4_005.jpg

and finish:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m4_006.jpg

Well, I'm not quite done. I'm waiting for a "male sling plug" and a new Blue Force Gear Victory sling. I'll be at the range zeroing the rifle in and give it a quick work out this weekend.

sapper36
02-19-09, 21:53
Does anyone know if or when they will start selling parts from the gun? I really want another BUIS and a VFG to go on my LMT. I guess I'm a dork but I want them to be as close to each other as possible.

thopkins22
02-20-09, 01:11
Does anyone know if or when they will start selling parts from the gun? I really want another BUIS and a VFG to go on my LMT. I guess I'm a dork but I want them to be as close to each other as possible.

I'll probably sell you the vfg off of mine when I get it if you're interested. I plan on trying it first but I don't use much of the vfg, and will probably switch it out for a stubby.

I want the BUIS, but it won't be staying on the DD gun.

HKTX405k9
02-21-09, 02:19
hello all im new to this forum and i just got my dd m4 today and it shoots great i will be using it as a duty gun will post pics soon

FVC3
02-21-09, 19:52
Picked up a DD M4 Thursday while browsing GT Distributors for ammo and some other small stuff. Talk about an impulse buy! 10 minutes fondling this thing and BAM! there I was forking over $1500.00 like I was buying a hoagie or something.

I finally got it to the range today, and put about 400 rounds through it. I didn't expect any issues, and I didn't have any. One pleasant surprise is that it was almost perfectly zeroed at 25 for M193. Bad news is, I zero at 50 - no big deal.

Stuff I really like:
1. The rear BUIS! Solid, A1 style with A2 apertures!
2. The 12 inch Omega rail's slimness
3. The light weight (see #2)
4. The flared mag well!
5. The R.E. swivel mount.
6. MOE stock is rattle free and tight as you could ask for.
7. The smooth machining of the receivers.
8 M16 bolt carrier.

Nitpicking - and that's exactly what this is at this price point:

1.Standard grip.
2. A2 flash hider
3. No documentation for accessories (BUIS, vert grip, rail, MOE stock)

I've seen a person or two claim their sample was not staked at the castle nut. Mine was, in one place. It has a distinctly rectangular deformation that someone might miss, causing them to think it was not staked if they were expecting a round dimple.

I wonder if anyone has any deep insider knowledge about the manufacturing details of this carbine (Grant). Hammer forged barrel? Whose BCG? I've read the testing is per piece, and not by batch - true? Gimme minutiae!

I'm hoping Rob S. will soon add this fine weapon to his fine Chart. This rifle should make quite a splash.

Gentoo
02-22-09, 00:03
So far, my biggest gripe with the gun is the grip. (Haven't been about to shoot it yet since I am still waiting on UPS for my ammo)

Maybe it is being nit-picky, but I really don't understand why a carbine decked out with such nice accessories has a standard grip on it. A MOE or MIAD would have been much more appropriate.

I realize that DD tooled the VFG to match the pattern on the standard grip, but that was kind of a weird decision too.

Oh well. Not the end of the world, I suppose I will just get a MOE at some point.

ra2bach
02-22-09, 00:22
So far, my biggest gripe with the gun is the grip. (Haven't been about to shoot it yet since I am still waiting on UPS for my ammo)

Maybe it is being nit-picky, but I really don't understand why a carbine decked out with such nice accessories has a standard grip on it. A MOE or MIAD would have been much more appropriate.

because there is absolutely nothing wrong with a "standard" grip. or else, since it seems that everyone automatically changes out the grip to suit their preference, it makes sense to leave the cheapest one on there.

parishioner
02-22-09, 00:36
because there is absolutely nothing wrong with a "standard" grip. or else, since it seems that everyone automatically changes out the grip to suit their preference, it makes sense to leave the cheapest one on there.

Also I think that A2 grips are much more easily atainable in the long run. Magpul has been on the ropes lately trying to get things out as fast as they can and DD probably knows that and didnt want to risk having to wait for parts.

Thats just me speculating.

Iraqgunz
02-22-09, 01:22
I have seen one or two staked castle nuts in my lifetime and my castle nut is definitely not staked. The little rectangular stake is very similar to the ones I saw on some Colt .GOV weapons recently. Again, I am not concerned because I will stake it when I get home.

Picked up a DD M4 Thursday while browsing GT Distributors for ammo and some other small stuff. Talk about an impulse buy! 10 minutes fondling this thing and BAM! there I was forking over $1500.00 like I was buying a hoagie or something.

I finally got it to the range today, and put about 400 rounds through it. I didn't expect any issues, and I didn't have any. One pleasant surprise is that it was almost perfectly zeroed at 25 for M193. Bad news is, I zero at 50 - no big deal.

Stuff I really like:
1. The rear BUIS! Solid, A1 style with A2 apertures!
2. The 12 inch Omega rail's slimness
3. The light weight (see #2)
4. The flared mag well!
5. The R.E. swivel mount.
6. MOE stock is rattle free and tight as you could ask for.
7. The smooth machining of the receivers.
8 M16 bolt carrier.

Nitpicking - and that's exactly what this is at this price point:

1.Standard grip.
2. A2 flash hider
3. No documentation for accessories (BUIS, vert grip, rail, MOE stock)

I've seen a person or two claim their sample was not staked at the castle nut. Mine was, in one place. It has a distinctly rectangular deformation that someone might miss, causing them to think it was not staked if they were expecting a round dimple.

I wonder if anyone has any deep insider knowledge about the manufacturing details of this carbine (Grant). Hammer forged barrel? Whose BCG? I've read the testing is per piece, and not by batch - true? Gimme minutiae!

I'm hoping Rob S. will soon add this fine weapon to his fine Chart. This rifle should make quite a splash.

Iraqgunz
02-23-09, 10:39
UPDATE: Got an email from Joe at Daniel Defense. He told me that the castle nut should have been staked and he asked for the serial number of the weapon. I told him that I think I can handle staking it, but wanted to bring it to their attention and also ask if there was a reason why it wasn't.

babaracus
02-25-09, 22:10
I picked mine up today after about a three week wait with AIM. I didn't have a chance to get to the range.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2454.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2457.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2459.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2458.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2460.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2461.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2462.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/babaracus_photos/ddm4/IMG_2464.jpg

FVC3
03-05-09, 10:10
GAK!! Just discovered that my 22 lr conversion will not insert into the receiver of my DD M4. It fits my other carbines just fine. Anyone else experienced this with any other make of upper?

03-05-09, 14:33
Can anyone with a DDM4 advise if an X300 with the XT07 remote switch can attach to the rail in front of the FSB (12 o'clock)?

Thanks.

JG1911
03-05-09, 17:26
Can anyone with a DDM4 advise if an X300 with the XT07 remote switch can attach to the rail in front of the FSB (12 o'clock)?

Thanks.

I had someone check for me, they said there isn't enough room. It doesn't bother me, the stock toggles work just fine @ 12 o'clock.

My castle nut is also staked in only one place.

I really like this rifle a great deal, I may sell one of my 6920's and get another. Personally, I like the A2 pistol grip. I generally like fold down rear sights, but for some reason I really like the DD fixed rear, so no Short-Dot. I really like the rail and how far I can get my hand up forward w/o burning my fingers. I made the mistake of getting a LaRue mount, it does put it way too high when at the 12 o'clock position. I too was suprised at SHOT with the weight, it's a pretty light rifle. Very happy.

I've shot a few hundred through it, XM193, BlackHills blue box, and TAP training, no problems.

It's nice that DD didn't ship it with a POS hardcase either, the case is fairly nice.

Mine:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/AlexG1911/IMG_0385-1.jpg

Rider
03-05-09, 18:57
Thanks for all the excellent pictures and reports fella's. I pick mine up tomorrow and these have me really looking forward to getting it.

03-05-09, 20:07
Thanks JG1911. Looking at that picture, I wonder how much room you can free up if you slide the light more towards the front? There seems to be about an inch of rail left to utilize.
Now I'm wondering how big the connection is to the Surefire switch??

Iraqgunz
03-06-09, 01:40
I was wondering the same thing. I think if it was moved forward a little it would probably work.

Thanks JG1911. Looking at that picture, I wonder how much room you can free up if you slide the light more towards the front? There seems to be about an inch of rail left to utilize.
Now I'm wondering how big the connection is to the Surefire switch??

Sam
03-06-09, 06:29
I really like this rifle a great deal, I may sell one of my 6920's and get another.

Say it ain't so :) Aren't you glad I talked you into buying it?

Are you going to bring the DD up next week? BTW, JH is looking for a Colt, he might be interested in yours if you're selling it.

lovetashoot
03-06-09, 06:54
I picked mine up yesterday. Had it transferred from Ranier Arms-super good group to work with. The gas key staking does not appear to be as deeply done as the pic posted by Babaracus; but, it should be GTG. Very excited about getting some personal time with it this weekend!:D

Dave L.
03-06-09, 06:55
Their rear sight looks higher than a LaRue fixed? Can anyone confirm. I hope the start selling them soon.

JG1911
03-06-09, 11:59
I'll bring it w/ me. I'm keeping my Colt's for now, I'm a label whore.

I hope the start selling them soon.

2-3 weeks. The price is pretty good too.

That sucker ain't gonna fit:
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/XT_large2.jpg

Rider
03-06-09, 21:52
I picked up the DD M4 rifle tonight! The transfer went smoothly and the shipping was done promptly, thank you Spike's Tactical and Macesport's.

The rifle appears very well made. The fit and finish were mostly excellent and everything seems to be machined to a tight tolerance. The iron sights look to be on straight, the castle nut was staked in one spot, the gas key is properly staked and the barrel looks good (wonder who made it?).

Minor cosmetic nitpicks were a scraped looking ejector hatch and small scratch on the tail of the charging handle. Neither is horrible but they are scraped deep enough to go thru the topcoat (parkerization?) and into the steel below, especially the hatch.

I gave it a nice cleaning and oiling to get to know her a bit. I like the stock, the rails are sweet and they should allow me to add what I want to when I figure out what that is and have time to rebuild the funds.

I was also able to pick up 200 rds of 5.56 Federal XM at the shop to go with the PMC .223 I had ordered.

This area lacks rifle ranges so I wont get to shoot it for awhile and that sucks. In the meantime, I will keep reading up on here and get comfortable handling the gun.

extremist
03-06-09, 22:21
GAK!! Just discovered that my 22 lr conversion will not insert into the receiver of my DD M4. It fits my other carbines just fine. Anyone else experienced this with any other make of upper?

My Ciener and CMMG kits do not fit all of my uppers either, I have to find the right one that fits. So not a unique problem :(

James

Sam
03-07-09, 08:53
You guys got me worried for a moment. After reading about Ciener and CMMG .22LR conversion kit didn't fit some uppers, I went and got mine to find out. To my relief, it fitted just fine. Upper closed easily like it should, hammer cocked and dropped when trigger was pressed, safety functioned. Whew.

BTW, for anyone in north GA area, the Bargain Barn in Jasper has one rifle as of this morning. They want $1800.

JSantoro
03-07-09, 15:45
Operator's Warehouse in Jacksonville, NC had at least a dozen of them that they had just received as of this past Wednesday.

They were selling them for $1800, though, so I was able to corral my impulse control on that basis. Wasn't easy, though. It's a damned sweet set-up.

FVC3
03-07-09, 15:51
You guys got me worried for a moment. After reading about Ciener and CMMG .22LR conversion kit didn't fit some uppers, I went and got mine to find out. To my relief, it fitted just fine. Upper closed easily like it should, hammer cocked and dropped when trigger was pressed, safety functioned. Whew.

BTW, for anyone in north GA area, the Bargain Barn in Jasper has one rifle as of this morning. They want $1800.

Sam, are you saying that you had a CMMG conversion kit fit into a DD M4? Mine is not even close.

Iraqgunz
03-07-09, 16:11
Riverine,

That's crazy. You could order one from Rainier Arms and save over 200.00. I paid 11.00 I think for shipping to my FFL. No sales tax and no transfer fee. Even with a transfer fee of 25.00 you would still come out way ahead.

I'm just stating hypotheticals and in no way am I trying to make you purchase another EBR.

JSantoro
03-07-09, 16:50
I'm with ya.

I was at SHOT for their intro, so I knew what price they basically go for. I just had the initial *drool* response when I saw banks of the things on the rack, ready to go. As I said, it's a damned fine boomstick.

Once I got my inner gear-queer under control, I limited myself to buying a stripped lower for my build, which will be transferred to Va Arms and probably ready for pick-up when I get back from 29 Palms. Since I need to buy my house more than I need to be further steeped in evil, I ran like a scared little bunny IOT avoid further ill-advised temptation.

Like a bunny, I tell you!

Sam
03-07-09, 18:50
Sam, are you saying that you had a CMMG conversion kit fit into a DD M4? Mine is not even close.

I installed my Ciener kit this morning, no problem at all. The Ciener kit and the CMMG look identical. I don't have a CMMG to try on at the moment.

lallhands
03-08-09, 09:03
This is one of the lightest and most balanced weapons I have ever held. I picked mine up at a local gun show where prices ranged there from $1599 to $1875. Looking forward to zeroing it in in the next few weeks. So far, happy with my purchase.

adrenaline151
03-08-09, 09:36
Prices on gunbroker seem to be going up everyday... there's one on there now with a Buy it Now! of $2,150. Peach State Guns and the Kentucky Gun Co. have them for $1545 still, though.

babaracus
03-08-09, 11:03
Prices on gunbroker seem to be going up everyday... there's one on there now with a Buy it Now! of $2,150. Peach State Guns and the Kentucky Gun Co. have them for $1545 still, though.

There has been a DDM4 on TOS EE for $2600 :p:confused: because it's a super rare three digit serial number! Wow!!!

JG1911
03-08-09, 14:31
I may have to rethink my asking price on the ones I have coming in May. :D

Iraqgunz
03-08-09, 16:37
Uh oh! My ser.# is a rare 3 digit below 500. Guess I better get it up for sale.

There has been a DDM4 on TOS EE for $2600 :p:confused: because it's a super rare three digit serial number! Wow!!!

dsg2003gt
03-08-09, 19:09
how tight are your DD m4s?

Mine has just a tad worth of play between the upper and lower but most of it goes away when i insert a PMAG.

dsg2003gt
03-08-09, 20:02
here is mine. One more question. Was your bolt MP/HP marked? Mine has no markings even though DD says they are MP tested.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/nennioz2/IMG_5908.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/nennioz2/IMG_5918.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/nennioz2/IMG_5912.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/nennioz2/IMG_5922.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/nennioz2/IMG_5920.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/nennioz2/IMG_5921.jpg

NCPatrolAR
03-09-09, 01:04

Because DD realizes not everyone wants a MOE or MIAD grip? Probably keeps the cost down a bit too.

Sam
03-09-09, 04:11
Because DD realizes not everyone wants a MOE or MIAD grip? Probably keeps the cost down a bit too.

Right on the money. DD knew that people are going to change the grip anyway. Personally, I can't use any of the grip with the "beavertail" like the MOE or MIAD due to my small hands. I prefer smaller profile grips, I can get use to the standard grip just fine.

austinN4
03-09-09, 14:36
I was in GT Distributors (Austin) today and they have a DD on display and have others NIB for sale. Their price is $1,500: http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=DD-DD20000

03-09-09, 14:49
I was in GT Distributors (Austin) today and they have a DD on display and have others NIB for sale. Their price is $1,500: http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=DD-DD20000

Thanks for the heads up. I called a few weeks ago and GT had zilch in stock.

Gentoo
03-09-09, 15:00

I suppose... but the exact same thing can be said for the MOE stock, Omega rail, or the VFG...

Whatever though. Not a big deal.

Iraqgunz
03-09-09, 15:33
Isn't GT Dist. for LE only? I was checking out their ammo prices and was going to be some of the XM193.

03-09-09, 15:41
Isn't GT Dist. for LE only? I was checking out their ammo prices and was going to be some of the XM193.

What it says on their site..

During your checkout, you will be asked to confirm your status as a law enforcement officer, licensed security officer, or purchasing agent for a law enforcement or security agency

austinN4
03-09-09, 15:48
Only on certain items.
Here is their policy page: http://www.gtdist.com/WeaponsPolicy.aspx
Here is their shipping policy: http://www.gtdist.com/OrderHelp.aspx

Iraqgunz
03-09-09, 16:02
I just called them and the lady told me that I am eligible to purchase from them. Looks like I'll be picking up some more Federal 5.56. :D

03-09-09, 16:04
I just called them and the lady told me that I am eligible to purchase from them. Looks like I'll be picking up some more Federal 5.56. :D

I might have to pay them a visit sooner or later to stock up on ammo for a carbine course I plan on taking in Sept. I just hope they have plenty in stock when I need it.