PDA

View Full Version : Can you just buy a registered lower?

striped1
12-07-06, 11:01
Is it possible to buy a form 4 lower without the correspoding upper?

I am thinking about a Noveske Diplomat upper, but want to buy a couple of registered lowers to keep for later projects. With the barrel length / overall length questions I am concerned that it will get kicked back. Anyone have experience with this?

davidp14
12-07-06, 11:36
Absolutely. Most folks will have several different uppers anyway and once you sart talking about $10-13 grand, the 4 or 5 hundred dollar upper isnt much of a dealer maker. If you look at most of the RR M16's for sale on the boards they will mention a price for "lower only".

striped1
12-07-06, 12:25
on the form 4, under barrel length / overall length would I put "lower only"?

Derek_Connor
12-07-06, 12:52
on the form 4, under barrel length / overall length would I put "lower only"?

Unforunately not, you will need to put the exact length of the barrel you plan on using initially, and then the overall length for the weapon, completely extended buttstock

After you have that approved, you can send in a Memorandum to the ATF that can look something like this:

Derek S. Connor
*removed*

November 29, 2006
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
National Firearms Act Branch
[Street Address]
[City, ST ZIP Code]

RE: Form 1 Addendum
Dear BATFE:
I am the registered owner of a Short-Barreled Rifle, Serial Number XXXX, caliber 5.56mm, with a 7.5-inch barrel.

I intend to also use it on occasion with upper receivers in the following barrel lengths: 10.5” and 12.5”

None of the above will be permanent modifications, and the caliber and barrel length of record will remain 5.56mm and 14.5 inches.

Please make a notation in the NFA Registry to reflect the above occasional use.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Submitted Respectfully,
Derek S. Connor

You'll be regisering your lower on the FORM 1, not FORM 4 (form 4 is for silencers)

Nathan_Bell
12-10-06, 09:23
You'll be regisering your lower on the FORM 1, not FORM 4 (form 4 is for silencers)

I thought Form 1 was manufacturing a weapon (sbr-sbs-aow) a Form 3 was transfering between dealers and a Form 4 was to transfer an existing NFA item to a non dealer.

davidp14
12-10-06, 09:37
http://www.atf.treas.gov

F 1 (5320.1) - Application to Make and Register a Firearm

F 3 (5320.3) - Appl. for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm

F 4 (5320.4) - Appl. for Transfer & Registration of Firearm

;)

Zak Smith
12-10-06, 22:22
Sure, you can Form 1 and "manufacture" your own (ie, add the required markings), or you can buy a pre-registered SBR lower on a Form 4.

My SBR lower was SBR'd by DPMS and requires no additional markings. I got it on a Form 4.

NickB
12-11-06, 11:05
My SBR lower was SBR'd by DPMS and requires no additional markings. I got it on a Form 4.

I plan on doing the same thing with one of Magpul's new lowers when they reach market. :D

Akoni
12-11-06, 11:42
Who currently sells SBR lowers that require no additional marking?

NickB
12-11-06, 11:46

I know Noveske does. Last time I checked it was a $100 additional charge, but that may have changed.

rob_s
12-11-06, 12:11
Your 6933 won't. ;)

Colt_SBR
12-12-06, 03:15
I sent my SBR paperwork in on 02/02/2004. When I registered my SBR I was able to put, less than 16" barrel and less than 26" overall length. That way, I can use any length upper with the registered lower.

I've heard, B.A.T.F. doesn't allow "less than" anymore. :mad: