PDA

View Full Version : LaRue rail installation problem

yugo308guy
02-10-09, 18:27
OK, this might be a little long and sound complicated, but it's really not.

I have an LMT upper with 14.5" Noveske Afghan barrel which has a Vortex pinned in place. It also had a LaRue 13.2" rail mounted. I bought this used, and it turned out that the rail was actually bent, just about 1mm on the top rail, to the left. Enough that it would probably make a huge difference with the sights. Now, I have no idea how it got bent, could have been the original owner, could have been me(though I don't know how), could have been in shipment(package was not damaged) or it could have been manufactured that way(I doubt it, as the original owner would have to have noticed it while trying to zero). Anyways, doesn't really matter how it got bent, just that is was bent.

So, I call LaRue, not really expecting any help, as I bought used etc... They tell me "send it in we'll make you happy"! Wow! What great customer service! I sent it in, waited about a month and voila! Today it shows up, brand new in the package, along with a bunch of goodies. I can't say enough about their customer service! I am just blown away.

Now, on to the install problem. Because my FH is pinned in place, I only need the rail by itself, I left all the hardware installed. This has presented a problem. My original rail was the older style, with no quick detach points integrated. The anti-torque screws threaded directly into the old rail, but the newer ones have a plate that must be installed to thread the bolts into. I can't install the plate without removing the gas block, but obviously, I can't remove the gas block without removing the FH first. The plate also has a hole to slide the gas tube through.

Solutions, suggestions? My solution I think, will be to drill out the hole in the plate that the gas tube slides into, turning it into an upsidedown U instead of a hole. That should give me the clearance to slide over the gas block, and make it possible to go over the top of the gas tube, instead of sliding the gas tube thru the hole. It would just rest above the tube, not making contact with it at its final resting point. The hole really seems to be irrelevant, as the plate has 2 other alignment holes that the centering pins lock into, and the 2 threaded holes for the anti-torque screws.

think it will work?