PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to increase your or someone elses skills?

RogerinTPA
02-10-09, 22:01
What have you done recently to increase your skills. By skills, I mean, defensive/survival skills or other activities to increase your chances of surviving an armed or unarmed encounter. Examples: Taken a class, taught someone your skills, gone to the range, practice drills, dry fire, taken up martial arts, gone to the gym, on a diet, bought a firearm, taken a First Aid class, etc... anything you feel that would give you that edge and why, if so inclined. List as many as you like and how often you practice those skills.

kaiservontexas
02-10-09, 22:32
I do not do it daily but I do several times a week. I walk several miles with my GHB. I practice hand to hand, nothing fancy mostly boxing. I have not gone shooting as much lately due to cost. :mad: I just recently started up the routine, and I am changing my diet in an effort to get into shape. Who ever thought being an office lackey and student would give me a gut? :o I admit it I am no badass. I hold my own as best I can.

nickdrak
02-10-09, 22:55
I have recently been sent to both pistol & patrol carbine instructor schools for my PD. And although my department is still in the stone-age with its firearms training program (Im currently trying to fix that!), I have taken it upon myself to take as many guys as I can motivate to come out, to hit the range at a friendly local PD that allows me to use their outdoor range, and use them as beta testers for my training program/lesson plans. So far, so good! My instruction has seemed to greatly improve their carbine skills. Some have never fired an AR15, and some have never had any formal firearms training since attending the academy, so I think there is some beneficial thing being learned by all of us. My skills have improved as well.

I try to take guys out to the range at least twice a month.

iroc_dis
02-11-09, 03:08
Kinda hard to pick just one option haha.

On the days that I work, I practice drawing my sidearm from its holster a few times while I'm getting my uniform and everything ready to go to work.

I go to the range probably once or twice a month, depending on my schedule and how busy I am. I wish I could go more but you guys know how expensive it is.

I exercise. A lot. I want to get on our SWAT team and its pretty competitive so I run every day I have off, sometimes multiple times. I hit the gym 1-2 times a week but I have workout equipment in my apartment so I am almost constantly exercising on my days off. Mainly body weight exercises like pushups, dips, pull ups, and various other exercises when I'm at home. I'll toss on a couple of my duty vests and wear those while I run or do exercises, to get used to the sensation of restricted breathing as well as the extra 7-8 lbs. I think I've done well so far. I can do a sub 6min mile without any problems, 20 good dead hang pullups, about a hundred pushups, and about the same number of situps.

I'm not an instructor or trainer or anything but I help some friends of mine with exercising. I try to incorporate bits and pieces of Crossfit into a plan with a hefty amount of running and so far everyone that I've worked with has liked it. I do this maybe once a week.

This isn't really a big thing but it fits in with the topic I suppose. We have an annually required 40 hour training class to refresh us. It includes some range time, a shoot house, building clearing, vehicle tactics, PPCT, and some classroom stuff as well as practical exercises.

variablebinary
02-11-09, 04:44
Depends on weather, free time, work, money etc etc.

Littlelebowski
02-11-09, 05:32
Made my buddy get away from just standing there and shooting targets and talked him into competing with me.

rob_s
02-11-09, 05:33
I run two shooting events a month; a carbine match and carbine drills. I always shoot the match, and usually get to shoot in the drills as well (at least for demonstration purposes if nothing else). I also try to attend at least 3 training classes a year and bring lessons from these classes back to influence the matches and drills.

"Teaching" other shooters has improved my outlook, approach, skills, and mindset more than anything else I've done with a firearm in nearly a year. Having to demonstrate a thing in front of 20+ other shooters, then watch them do it and help them make corrections where needed, and watch again to see how the corrections manifest does a whole lot for making you re-evaluate and either validate or modify your TTPs.

R/Tdrvr
02-11-09, 06:25
I watch a lot of zombie movies to learn what NOT to do if the zombie apocolypse happens. :eek:

Oh, and study the Zombie Survival Guide. :D

Seriously, I usually instruct others, which leaves only a little time to hone my own skills. But since I purchased my own carbine, I'm trying to make more time on the range for me.

Iraqgunz
02-11-09, 07:51
I won't share my ninja skills or knowledge because when TEOTWAWKI comes I want to have every advantage I can get. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.