PDA

View Full Version : new to AR's can use some help.

LT.TOZZI
02-11-09, 01:34
Hi im new to the AR world. i was reading on some threads that the "bushy" bushmaster rifles are not the best. before discovering this site i started to pay for a bushmaster A3M4 superlight carbine for $1150 at my local gun shop brand new. after doing a little reasearch i discovered that i would rather get a NOVESKE N4 Light Carbine Basic and then i discovered they wont be available until at least the beggining of the summer and its $1500. i was wondering if you guys could help me pick a rifle? it would be mostly for plinking, hunting, and targets. i would like to be able to change my upper so i can put a differant caliber in it (if thats possible) like a 45ACP convertion, or i know theres spikes .22LR upper. i want to be able to put on accesories like a custom trigger,grip,ect. trijicon Acog so the carrying handle cant be fixed. all help and input would be apreciated ---THANKS
LT.TOZZI

Rider79
02-11-09, 15:58
Read this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

ROADKING
02-11-09, 18:39
I just bought a smith m&p15 and love it. So far i have 500 rounds through it and shoots flawlessly. I just put on an aimpoint comp c3 and added the quad rail and surefire light and cca cheek rest and grip and cant complain a bit. Shoots dead on right out of the box.

TehLlama
02-11-09, 20:05
You've got a good rifle. It's not the fanciest, and it's not what you'd want if you were skydiving into a ninja stronghold, but it will work.

For now as a new AR user - just pick up a few magazines, a couple hundred rounds of ammunition, and a sling. Take it to the range next chance you get, and get it zeroed. See how it handles, how it shoots, and take note of any stoppages that occur.

A lightweight carbine for your purposes is actually a very good choice - I'd just take it for a spin, see how comfortable you are with its reliability after a few hundred rounds, and from there, decide what (if anything) you want to spend money on (ergonomics, trigger, optics, flashlight, rail systems, muzzle devices, etc.)

A .22lr conversion kit isn't a bad idea, but first you'll want to see if it functions well with the type of ammunition you plan on feeding it most of the time. After that, the .22 kits with BDM magazines are a great, economical solution, but for now, keep it simple.

LT.TOZZI
02-11-09, 23:16
thanks for the insight fellas.. all the info was greatly apreceated.