PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this upper?

tex45acp
02-11-09, 11:21
A used Colt A2 upper 7.62 x 39. Carbine length, not M4 barrel, straight barrel, clean BCG & rifling. no parts look excessively worn.........for $475.00 otd.

monkyboy
02-11-09, 15:16
I don"t know about the price being good or not. I have a Colt I purchased new in early 90"s. It's a fun rifle to shoot. Ammo was and is cheaper than .223. The down side is parts and magazines. I have several converted AR/ AK mags (20 rd) that work well, but these were purchased long before the current high cap mag price explosion.I have been looking for a spare bolt and have found very few companies support this caliber in an AR, and am not sure of quality. If parts availability ever becomes readily available again, I plan on outfitting this rifle with the Magpul "MOE" treatment as I like the look.

AirmanAtwood
02-11-09, 15:22
I say go for it, in this market Uppers are getting expensive, and 7.62x39 is a hell of a lot cheaper than 5.56. You'll save an ass of money on ammo and that in turn will make that upper totally worth it.

AirmanAtwood
02-11-09, 15:24
I don"t know about the price being good or not. I have a Colt I purchased new in early 90"s. It's a fun rifle to shoot. Ammo was and is cheaper than .223. The down side is parts and magazines. I have several converted AR/ AK mags (20 rd) that work well, but these were purchased long before the current high cap mag price explosion.I have been looking for a spare bolt and have found very few companies support this caliber in an AR, and am not sure of quality. If parts availability ever becomes readily available again, I plan on outfitting this rifle with the Magpul "MOE" treatment as I like the look.

Magpul MOE grips are available anywhere right now, there are places that still have plenty of MOE handguards in stock, the MOE stock is the tricky one. They're becoming scarce. Call Grant at G&R and talk to him, he'll help you out.

hp35
02-11-09, 15:26
C-Products makes a magazine, an expensive one, for it. As already posted it is cheaper to shoot.

Rider79
02-11-09, 15:27
The down side is parts and magazines. I have several converted AR/ AK mags (20 rd) that work well, but these were purchased long before the current high cap mag price explosion.

Didn't C-products come out with 7.62x39 mags for the AR platform recently?

AirmanAtwood
02-11-09, 15:30
Didn't C-products come out with 7.62x39 mags for the AR platform recently?

yes they did, and IMO if a mag for it is double the price of an AR mag, ok......im still saving about 100-200 bucks on a case of ammo with the 7.62, and that to me makes the more expensive mags justified, as long as those mags functioned well.

Failure2Stop
02-11-09, 16:13
A used Colt A2 upper 7.62 x 39. Carbine length, not M4 barrel, straight barrel, clean BCG & rifling. no parts look excessively worn.........for $475.00 otd.

Why are you interested in the upper?
Because it's 7.62X39?
Because it's an available upper?
Or because it's relatively cheap?

tex45acp
02-11-09, 18:50
Why are you interested in the upper? Somewhat, it's an older Colt
Because it's 7.62X39? I already have two other rifles in that caliber
Because it's an available upper? The only one in my area
Or because it's relatively cheap? Is it a good price for a clean used Colt upper??

Actually I was kinda looking for a flatop with a 20" heavy barrel, for some longer range 'yote shooting. I can mount a Leuopold 4X12X50 I have new in a box on it.

30russkie
02-11-09, 19:07
i say bag it while you can.

mine shoots great. i have had the upper for years. and mags were a problem.

but i picked up a six-pack of C-products 30 rounders from 44mag for $25.99 a pop

yea it is a little high but i have paid that a few times for the 5.56 mags!!

so far the mags run great in the colt and the carbine upper. out of the 14.5inch carbine the 7.62x39 makes for quite the K-boom!:cool:

don't know about the long range shooting with the 7.62x39. i use he 6.5G,7.62x51 for that and a 556 for the light stuff. the 7.62x39 in my deer brush gun.