PDA

View Full Version : Heinie sights off center

jackinfl
02-11-09, 15:32
I have a set of Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pro sights for my Glock 17. The front sight is .125 and the rear notch is .125

I visually noticed the left side of the sight is bigger then the right side of the sight on the sides of the notch.

I took out the mic and measured it and the left side was larger than the right...

I sent the sight back to Heinie Specialty Products and after waiting over a week I called to find out the issue. I was told that the sight was designed like that as "Glocks shoot to the left." I was told that my sight was fine and it would be returned to me.

I do like the sight picture, but it seems weird that a product would be engineered to make up for shooter error. I do not think Glock's shoot to the left, I think right handed shooters with poor trigger control make Glock's shoot to the left!

Can anyone that has Heinie sights measure theirs and see if the left side is larger than the right? I would like to know just for my personal interest.

Jack

ToddG
02-11-09, 23:05
I sent the sight back to Heinie Specialty Products and after waiting over a week I called to find out the issue. I was told that the sight was designed like that as "Glocks shoot to the left." I was told that my sight was fine and it would be returned to me.

That is awesome. :eek:

jtb0311
02-12-09, 06:52
It is also my experience that poor trigger control with a Glock will pull shots to the left. Did you shoot the pistol before you sent it in? If so, how was it?

Robb Jensen
02-12-09, 07:00
Get the Warrens. ;)

SingleStacker45
02-12-09, 07:09
your right. they are off center. I wondered why I had such a dificult time installing them. What's even weirder for me is that my 19 sight is adjusted right of center and my 34 is adjusted left of center. Both pistols shoot point of aim at 25 yards for me and a friend of mine who double checked me. The 19 with a 124 +p speer load and the 34 with a softball reload I use for USPSA. Does bullet velocity cause that or does it have to do with the barrel length? I wish you had not told me.

Mule

markm
02-12-09, 07:46
I love this. I've started glocking my trigger lately too. I need to get more pistol practice... not new sights! :D

"glocks shoot to the left" ... that shit is funny.

jackinfl
02-12-09, 11:16
It is also my experience that poor trigger control with a Glock will pull shots to the left. Did you shoot the pistol before you sent it in? If so, how was it?

I put them on and centered them up but with the notch to the front sight and this made the gun shoot straight when I did my job, straight to the rear.

jackinfl
02-12-09, 11:18
Can any one measure their rear sights for me?
Thanks,
Jack

Dave L.
02-12-09, 11:25
I'm a lefty- my Glocks shoot to the right :rolleyes:
Anyone dare me to call Heinie and ask for the left-handed rear sight? :D

markm
02-12-09, 11:27
I'm a lefty- my Glocks shoot to the right :rolleyes:
Anyone dare me to call Heinie and ask for the left-handed rear sight? :D

Your glock is broken. They're supposed to shoot to the left! :D

Dave L.
02-12-09, 11:30
Your glock is broken. They're supposed to shoot to the left! :D

I knew it wasn't me! ;)

jackinfl
02-12-09, 20:11
Dave L.,
I'd love to hear that call. It seems simple to me make them center then they can be drifted by the end user if they can not work out their trigger control problems.

Stay safe,
Jack

John Hearne
02-13-09, 07:43
The Glock has a large square grip. The inside of the human hand isn't square making the interface between the two a little difficult for some folks. People I've seen find the pistol easier to shoot if a "divot" is made in the front corner of the frame where the trigger finger rides.

I'm not saying that with proper trigger control, a Glock won't shoot straight. I'm saying that of all the pistols, it is easiest to throw shots left with Glocks. IIRC, Awerbuck had a whole column in SWAT that covered his observations on the issue.

YVK
02-13-09, 17:54
I have G19 with Heinie sights; the rear sight has factory 0.140 notch, no tritium. The sight is perfectly symmetric, with left and right sides measuring at 0.290.

Rear sight is pretty much centered in the slide, with microscopic drift to the left. The gun, though, has a gunsmith-installed match grade barrel; I don't know if it has anything to do with sight position.

subzero
02-13-09, 19:06
Two 19s, one with straight 8s, the other are plain black. Both .125" notch.

Plain: .291 right, .297 left
Straight 8: .289 right, .297 left

Weird. They both look pretty centered on the slide, and I know they both shoot where I want them to. I guess I'm just deficient.

This will likely bother the crap out of me until I put Warren's on instead. Dammit.

jackinfl
02-14-09, 14:03
Thanks for measuring guys, anyone else?

Vendetta
02-14-09, 15:30
Now I'm curious, I just ordered a set of these for my 19.

mark5pt56
02-14-09, 15:52
Two 19s, one with straight 8s, the other are plain black. Both .125" notch.

Plain: .291 right, .297 left
Straight 8: .289 right, .297 left

Weird. They both look pretty centered on the slide, and I know they both shoot where I want them to. I guess I'm just deficient.

This will likely bother the crap out of me until I put Warren's on instead. Dammit.

Maybe you can offer these to me for the normal rate--:cool:

VA_Dinger
02-14-09, 18:01
While interesting, I'm not overly concerned. My G19 with Heinie straight-8's shoots like a dream. I'm not even going to bother measuring them. Mine are zeroed and hit were I aim so that's all that matters to me.