PDA

View Full Version : Switching to all 9mm?

tusk212
02-11-09, 18:13
I have been tossing the idea around of going to all 9mm. I currently have a Glock 17, 19, 21, and a 30. Im thinking out dumping one or both of the .45s and pick up a 26 or 34. I have a ton on Glock 9mm mags and think it would make sense in the long run to make the switch to all 9mm. Am I crazy or is this a good solid idea?

LOKNLOD
02-11-09, 18:19
Well it's definitely not a bad idea. You just have to decide what, if anything, you feel you'd be giving up by ditching the .45s and if what you'd gain by going all 9mms would be worth the trade off.

Personally, I'm all Glock 9mms and except for the occasional pang of a ".45s are cool" jones, it's been good for me.

Marcus L.
02-11-09, 18:28
Nothing wrong with that at all. It's the most common handgun caliber in the world, so you'll likely have a steady supply of the latest and greatest loads(unless Obama changes that), it has a good track record, and it is available in a wide variety of firearms. If I were to switch to only one handgun caliber, it would be 9mm. I've cut back to two service calibers(9mm and .40S&W), and one hunting caliber(.44magnum).

DrBaker
02-11-09, 18:32
I have been tossing the idea around of going to all 9mm. I currently have a Glock 17, 19, 21, and a 30. Im thinking out dumping one or both of the .45s and pick up a 26 or 34. I have a ton on Glock 9mm mags and think it would make sense in the long run to make the switch to all 9mm. Am I crazy or is this a good solid idea?

I made that same jump last year. No regrets at all.

oldtexan
02-11-09, 18:53

I think it's a smart idea, especially in light of possible future limits on standard capacity magazine availability.

Got rid of all my .40 and .45 autos, and .44 and .45 revolvers in 2006-2007. In handguns, I'm down to all 9mm (Glock, Kahr, and STI) except for a pair of S&W 642-2s. Sure does simplify the ammo stockage issue.

I don't think I've given anything up in terms of overall effectiveness, either. I can shoot 9mm a bit faster than .40 or .45, especially one-handed or strong-handed only.

markm
02-11-09, 19:19
I see no need to dump every other gun you own.

Stockpiling pistol ammo doesn't interest me at all. I keep like 500 rounds of Mil 9mm, and a box or two of Gold Dots in 40 and 9. I stack rifle ammo up though.

But along the same lines, I'm all AR, and ALL 5.56.... No AKs or .308s to have to maintain inventories of mags and ammo for.

RGT
02-11-09, 19:49
Sounds dull.

I really enjoy different caliber handguns (rifles too for that matter). .22 thru 44Mag for me.

Paul45
02-11-09, 20:20
I have standardized on the following handgun calibers:
22LR, 22 MAG, .32 ACP, .380, 9mm, .38 spec. .357 MAG,
.357 SIG, .40 S&W, .41 Mag, .44 mag, .44 Spec, .45 ACP
and .45 Long Colt.

I dropped the .25acp, 10mm and odd ball calibers.

Now I have to start cleaning up my rifle calibers, then Black Powder and maybe Shotgun.

I am NOT going to touch my archery stuff! TOO MUCH WORK to figure out what I have.

ROCKET20_GINSU
02-11-09, 20:56
I think its a very solid idea, especially with glocks as most of the mags are interchangeable. I don't think there's anything wrong with holding on to 1 or 2 odd ball calibers or pistols though. I'm in the process of doing the same 9mm transition thing myself. I've got G19, and 34, and will be picking up a 26 when I get home. That doesn't mean though that I "have" to get rid of my Springfield 1911 .45 (because I'm an american) and my S&W 642 .38 spc (because I'm practical), though I don't shoot these last two much so ammo doesn't hurt the piggy bank as bad.

its the 9mm glocks that I shoot 95% of the time so the majority of my logistics is really easy...and having a little variety is...nice :D

In my opinion you're doing the right thing =) but if you "have" to hold on to a .45, it'll be ok ;)

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-11-09, 21:08
It is one of those projects that really just masks another gun buying spree! I get these "ideas" all the time. It won't last!:D

RogerinTPA
02-11-09, 21:48
Not a bad choice if you only want guns in the 9mm. Given the cost, it's economically a wise decision. You can train other family members to be proficient in it's use from young children to the elderly.

maximus83
02-11-09, 21:53

Nooooooo.....don't do that! I mean, if your only goal is to save money versus .40 and .45, or to simplify storing your ammo or something, then sure.

But you know, variety is the spice of life? Shooting all one caliber, all the time, makes Johnny a dull boy. :)

Spook410
02-11-09, 22:12
I think there is some over-analysis here. There is no reason to have just one caliber or just one style of pistol. Enjoy a 1911 platform. Indulge a single action in 45 colt. Hunt with a 44mag. Be a range hero with a .500. Find flexibility in a 38/357. Life is too short. Live large.

Honu
02-11-09, 22:24
I posted a bit ago on cutting down on a ton of guns rather than owning 50 of a bunch I would rather own 5 of each of a few and more of others but narrow things down

I used to have a lot of types not nearly as much as some I am sure :)
but at 45 years old and a family and less time I am finding these days I like to master things more than have variety of types to shoot ? again nothing wrong with it I love shooting a ton of stuff but at the range I can say hey want to trade so I can shoot yours and you can shoot mine ? and I am happy

I do like the idea of having 9mm and .223 as the main

I still want 45 just cause I am old school guy and I want and love the 308 round

so if you want to for your own reason I say go for it :) also what do you shoot best and feel the best with ? that is what you should focus on :)

RogerinTPA
02-11-09, 22:27
IMHO, that is the problem with most shooters, including myself. We don't concentrate on being proficient (manipulations, trigger reset, dry fire, and accuracy) on one gun. I used to bring 3 or 4 guns per range session (9x18, .380, 9mm, .40, or 45), now just one gun (My daily carry mostly) and shoot around 200-300 rounds practicing bullseye shooting, strong side, weak side, draw fire (single and doubles), bill drills, back to bullseye, then I'm done. I switch guns every now and then, to stay proficient, but still only one gun. Mastering one gun is IMHO more important than not being a master of any handgun you own. YMMV.

Jerm
02-11-09, 22:39
All of my handguns are 9mm and several more are planned.Sharing ammo(and mags if possible)is always a plus.

9mm
12ga

...+ a Rem 700 somewhere between .243 and .300wm(no idea where i want to go with it yet).:(

Everything i would ever want/need.

ToddG
02-11-09, 23:43
Selling the G21 and G30: sure, if you don't shoot them or need them.
Buying a G34: Why? What role will it fill that you can't achieve with your 17 & 19?

trio
02-11-09, 23:58
i did this a while back...

I carry 9mm Glocks almost exclusively (sometimes a J-Frame on those occassions I can't carry my G17)...and standardized solely on them...

i found I missed some things, particularly a 1911, and i had a hankering to give a Sig a go again...

well, I'm back to where I was...

the truth of the matter is, when I go shoot, I shoot my carry and HD guns...they are both G17s...so my Kahr and Sig will likely be leaving soon

I do think, though, that this time I will keep the 1911...i love old slabsides...i learned to shoot on one, and it has a very nostaligic appeal for me...if it were more practical i may carry one again when and if my shoulder heals...

but I see no reason not to replace the Kahr with a G26....it would take the same mags as my G17, i could set the sights and trigger up exactly like my EDC, and do any work that needs to be done to it myself....

whats the old saying? be afraid of a man who only has one gun? i guess I am expanding that to pretty much one type of gun....me, i guess i shoota the glock

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-09, 03:27
Beware of a man with one caliber, he will know how to use it. ;)

I just hate grabbing the wrong mag or ammo box to go to the range. Add in standing by a box of mags and pulling them out and trying to divine what they go to.

One caliber and mag system is elegant. Always lots of spares.

crossgun
02-12-09, 04:56
While I agree that you should always be aware of the guy that shoots only one gun even if its a Mossberg, I cant imagine life without a 1911.

There are just way too many cool platforms to have just one even if it appears to
add up on paper.

tusk212
02-12-09, 06:40
The whole reason I got this idea is because I really cant see ever carrying the Glock 30. I really cant see any advantages over the 19. I really do like the 21 and would probably keep it. But I also like the fact that I have a fullsize and compact pistol in both 9mm and .45 in one "style" of handgun.

rob_s
02-12-09, 06:52
I tried to standardize on .45 and 5.56 a few years ago and was doing pretty well until I picked up a couple of 9mm ARs and a Glock 19 or two for my girlfriend. I'm now swinging the other direction and thinking that 9mm makes a better standardization. I also wound up with an AK that I shot for all of 2008, but which is now relegated to safe duty with 10 mags and 1k rounds to go with it.

I only have one .45 pistol left, a YB 1* Enhanced on a Springfield, and have been using the Glocks for the past year+ so making the switch won't be too difficult.

I think that platform standardization is more important than caliber, FWIW. Shooting a Glock 19 and a Glock 30, for example, makes more sense to me than a Glock 19 and a 1911.

As to the OP, it sounds like you're pretty much already standardized on the 9mm as the other calibers don't come out much. I agree with Todd in that buying the G34 is really only a good idea if you have a specific need/want/role for it, as otherwise your G19 and G17 will do everything the G34 would.

sigmundsauer
02-12-09, 07:00
I love 9mm. And if I were inclined to rely on a single caliber, 9 is fine. However, my apocalyptic paranoid episodes have lead me to diversify somewhat, and now the small arsenal that resides in my grab bag(s) is represented by a .40 S&W (most pop police caliber), a .45 ACP (its not going anywhere anytime soon), .357 MAG/.38 Special (maximum versatility and ubiquity), all lead by a combination of 9 millies, which I find wholly suitable for personal defense and deep concealment. I figure if something truly catastrophic occurs, I don't want to be boxed in with only one caliber to feed.

And, although, some level of mastery is certainly sacrificed, I personally find more practical value in practicing with a wide variety of handguns with different manuals of arms, operating mechanisms, and trigger systems so that converting to what is available is not a potentially life threatening issue for me. Depending on my current assignment, place of leisure, or adventures in the woods, at highest probability I will either rely on an M9, M11, HK P2000, or Smith wheelie.

Tim

rob_s
02-12-09, 07:05
I personally find more practical value in practicing with a wide variety of handguns with different manuals of arms, operating mechanisms, and trigger systems so that converting to what is available is not a potentially life threatening issue for me.

While this is a good theory, and there are some that shoot enough to do it capably, my experience in observing other shooters it that this does more harm than good. The problem comes in having the time/money resources to get to the range with all these different platforms to become suitably proficient with each one AND not degrade their abilities with their primary. We have quite a few IPDA shooters that come out with a different gun each match, and I can only think of two that have ever done so and been capable with more than one platform. Most often they can't remember where the safety is (or if the gun has one at all), or they hit the decocker when they mean to drop the slide, or they can't get past that long first DA shot, etc. and all the while speed and accuracy suffer because they can't get past the basic manipulations.

ETA:
This whole issue gets exponentially worse when dealing with rifles. At least with a handgun the majority of the controls are generally in relatively similar locations, but rifles run the gamut of charging handles forward of the receiver, rearward, bolt hold open or not, paddle or pushbutton magazine release, safety levers all over the place, etc. If I had a nickle for every time I watched one of our revolving-rifle shooters fumble-f*ck for his controls...

markm
02-12-09, 07:48
Buying a G34: Why? What role will it fill that you can't achieve with your 17 & 19?

That's the sniper model.... duh! ;)

Aristogeiton
02-12-09, 10:18
I chose 9mm and 5.56 for my fighting weapons.

For me it was the money as well as having one rifle and one pistol platform to train with.

It has allowed me to buy spare carbines and pistols as well as the mags, ammo and spare parts to keep things going.

Sadly, I cannot afford to equip multiple weapon systems and standardization has allowed me to set up two systems (Glock 9mm and AR-15 5.56) very well.

I still have a 1911 45 and other hunting rifles etc, but they do not have the extra mags or ammo that my 9mm Glocks and ARs have. Maybe some day! :D

sigmundsauer
02-12-09, 12:01
While this is a good theory, and there are some that shoot enough to do it capably, my experience in observing other shooters it that this does more harm than good. The problem comes in having the time/money resources to get to the range with all these different platforms to become suitably proficient with each one AND not degrade their abilities with their primary. We have quite a few IPDA shooters that come out with a different gun each match, and I can only think of two that have ever done so and been capable with more than one platform. Most often they can't remember where the safety is (or if the gun has one at all), or they hit the decocker when they mean to drop the slide, or they can't get past that long first DA shot, etc. and all the while speed and accuracy suffer because they can't get past the basic manipulations.

ETA:
This whole issue gets exponentially worse when dealing with rifles. At least with a handgun the majority of the controls are generally in relatively similar locations, but rifles run the gamut of charging handles forward of the receiver, rearward, bolt hold open or not, paddle or pushbutton magazine release, safety levers all over the place, etc. If I had a nickle for every time I watched one of our revolving-rifle shooters fumble-f*ck for his controls...

Rob, true points, and I have seen the same. Fortunately I take it seriously enough to avoid some of those pitfalls. Moreover, I don't have the luxury of focusing on a single platform. It is one of the reasons that I steer clear of modified pistols and rely on stock guns the whole way. Particularly stock guns with lazy resets so I don't acclimate to an extremely short mechanism that will betray my instincts. I also don't rely on slide releases and other unnecessary levers. I drop slides universally the same with all of my pistols, hand-over, as it will work with any pistol regardless of mechanism. All of this has not caused me much of a problem at all, and I shoot a variety of pistols in IDPA. Sure, I have not mastered them as well as perhaps I could. If I learned to run a Glock pretty magnificently my techniques may not work out so well when carrying an M9 or M11. So, it is a relative risk that I take and somewhat calculated as IDPA/USPSA master class shooters aren't among my highly probable adversaries.

Tim

rob_s
02-12-09, 13:15
You seem to be alluding to some professional need for what you're doing, but without knowing how to read between the lines I'll just say I'm glad it's working out for you.

RyanS
02-12-09, 13:29
Try as I might to expand my meager collection of firearms beyond my mainstay of a 9mm Glock or two, a single AR and a 870P, I simply cannot get beyond what I have. Everytime I think that I break outside the box, something comes up. Rather than dip into savings, I find it easier to sell a firearm which is for all intents and purposes superfluous.

Beat Trash
02-12-09, 14:49

I guess to answer if I think dumping the 45 Glocks is a good idea, I'd need to ask why you own them?

If you use some of these guns (45 acp models for example) as "range toys" , and there is nothing bad about having a "range toy", so long as you don't fool yourself into believing it's something else, then keep them, if you like them.

But if you use your guns for serious defensive purposes, be it Mil/LEO/CCW/Home Protection, then yes, I would sell off the 45's.

Since you own a Glock 19 & Glock 17, I might consider getting a Glock 26. I use mine every now and then. Good gun. I had a Glock 34, but sold it off as there wasn't much difference in my performance between it and the Glock 17. Unless you have a speciffic need for a GLock 34, that can't be handled with your Glock 17, then I'd skip the G34.

I would strongly consider buying a second version of which ever you prefer, the G17 or the G19. (ME, I like the G17, but I LOVE the G19!)

I own guns in different calibers and types. Guns that have meaning to me, guns that have "history". A couple of 1911's, a 25 yr old Hi Power, a Sig 226 &228. Each one of these guns have a story behind them. Each will stay in the family because of the story associated with it.

But I train with and carry the same type of gun. For a long time that was Glock 9mm's. For the last 3+ years, it's been my issued M&P 9mm. I believe in consistency when dealing with defensive firearms. Some may differ, that's ok. It's a personal choice, but one that your life can depend upon.

Please remember that plinking with a range toy is not the same as training with your defensive carry gun. OR at least, it shouldn't be.....

For me, there is enough similarity between the Glock 9mm's and the M&P 9mm's that I feel ok if I put up my issued M&P and decide to carry a Glock 19 off duty. But that's a personal decision I chose to make, and not necessarily one I recommend to others.

ToddG
02-12-09, 14:58
Some people can pick up any gun and shoot it well. Others (many, in my experience) benefit from focusing most of their attention on one gun or at least one platform.

Others (most, in my experience) shoot all handguns equally well, and by "equally well" I mean poorly. A lot of guys who say "I can shoot a .45 as fast as a 9mm" are intimidated by the break-neck pace of a typical LE qualification (e.g., draw and fire two rounds at a target 7yd away in three seconds).

I will say that sigmundsauer's point about trigger reset is an important one. A good friend (an ATF agent and Master-class shooter) spent a lot of time shooting his SIG P226ST with a Short Reset Trigger mechanism. Then one day, at an IDPA match, as a lark he decided to shoot his duty gun (a P226 40 without the short reset). He was short-stroking constantly. The lightbulb went on and he immediately realized that if he'd needed that gun in a real fight, he'd very likely have been short stroking it and thinking it was malfunctioning or broken.

Years ago I had the exact opposite thing happen to me. I'd spent some time playing with a DAO Beretta, then right before a local IDPA match I converted it back to traditional DA/SA. On the first stage, they induced a little extra stress by having an RO bump into you from the side, simulating being in a hysterical crowd while trying to take a difficult shot. Well, the little extra stress worked on me. I fired the first shot, let my finger all the way forward to reset the DAO-that-wasn't trigger, and of course the trigger didn't go forward. So I did a tap rack and still the trigger wasn't where I expected it to be. I probably wasted two or three seconds before I just pulled the trigger.

Things like that are what make me shake my head at the army of people who show up to the range, take their j-frames out of their pockets, strap on a full size 1911 in a nice range holster, practice for an hour, then stick the 1911 back in the range bag before loading up the j-frame for the ride home. Seriously? Just how much of that 200 round practice session with a $2,500 3.5# trigger 1911 do you think is going to translate to using a 12# 5-shot j-frame under stress?

Now, the flipside to all of this is that you need to ask yourself if you're really likely to need a different gun all of a sudden in a fight. For me, with my job, my lifestyle, and my daily activities it is extremely unlikely that I'm going to rely on a battlefield pickup. Weighed against that possibility, for me, is the benefit of getting very focused on one gun to excel with it. Though, as I mentioned previously, I've committed this year to shooting a DA/SA gun a bit each month to stay in the groove better.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-09, 17:32
Try as I might to expand my meager collection of firearms beyond my mainstay of a 9mm Glock or two, a single AR and a 870P, I simply cannot get beyond what I have. Everytime I think that I break outside the box, something comes up. Rather than dip into savings, I find it easier to sell a firearm which is for all intents and purposes superfluous.

You need a .22lr ;)

YVK
02-12-09, 17:49
The downside of caliber standardization is dependency on ammo availability of one caliber, and one caliber only. I didn't think of this until today, when I overheard a telephone conversation. Somebody called my local range asking if they could come shoot 9 mm and the answer was that the shop was very tight on 9 mm ammo, but not so tight on 40.
Obviously, this can be avoided by stockpiling enough ammo.

tusk212
02-12-09, 18:36
Just wanted to add im going to need to pick a duty weapon for a police academy im attending out of those 4 weapons i listed. So some of these will see some more use than a range toy.

sigmundsauer
02-12-09, 19:07
The downside of caliber standardization is dependency on ammo availability of one caliber, and one caliber only. I didn't think of this until today, when I overheard a telephone conversation. Somebody called my local range asking if they could come shoot 9 mm and the answer was that the shop was very tight on 9 mm ammo, but not so tight on 40.
Obviously, this can be avoided by stockpiling enough ammo.

We are in somewhat of a small ammo crisis at the moment. Prices are soaring, supply has slowed to a trickle, and much of it is politically-driven paranoia. Nonetheless, the Wal-marts and Cabelas 'round these parts are about bone dry in their 9mm inventory. Now throw a natural disaster like Katrina, or some other true crisis into the mix and we would truly see ammo shelves barren. In this instance, having an arsenal rely on a single caliber would be a mistake unless you have a rather large cache. 9mm will go first, followed by other calibers, but having options will extend you ability to feed your defensive weapons. So, methinks.

Tim

Jay Cunningham
02-12-09, 19:17
Probably a good compromise would be to try and find a decent rental range. Make it a point to go once a week and put a box of ammo through a different type of firearm each time just to get the feel for the triggers and controls.

Marcus L.
02-12-09, 19:21
sigmundsauer,

If there is such a disaster the likelyhood of you finding any ammunition in a store will be practically impossible unless it is super rare. What you already have on hand will be all that you'll have throughout the duration of the crisis unless you do some trading. This is why the 9mm is a great caliber to have in such a situation. It is light and compact, so it is easier to transport especially if you are on foot which will be the likely situation......and since it is so common it is a great trading commodity.

YVK
02-12-09, 19:54
sigmundsauer,

This is why the 9mm is a great caliber to have in such a situation. It is light and compact, so it is easier to transport especially if you are on foot which will be the likely situation......and since it is so common it is a great trading commodity.

Well, that depends what ammo we're talking specifically. If I am forced to trade whatever valuables I have, I want a proven, high-quality 124 or 147 gr +P JHP load. If all that's available is ball ammo - which is most likely the case in times of crisis - I'd much prefer 45ACP.

varoadking
02-12-09, 19:56
One caliber and mag system is elegant.

Kinda like your avatar, huh? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/anim_rofl2.gif

PlatoCATM
02-12-09, 20:53
...although I'm not sure you can call it that with only one duty handgun. As soon as I get rid of my .45 I'm buying a M&P9. I don't shoot my .45 well, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

RogerinTPA
02-12-09, 22:01
Probably a good compromise would be to try and find a decent rental range. Make it a point to go once a week and put a box of ammo through a different type of firearm each time just to get the feel for the triggers and controls.

That's one of the reasons I standardized all my handguns to the M&P series. Same feel, same fire controls (except for the ambi safety on the .45), same trigger. Regardless of caliber selection, the platform is the same.