PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ASAP Sling Plate

Stickman
02-12-09, 20:56
Magpul has released the production ASAP (Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point) Plate. This may be the easy answer for those people who are untrusting of QD mounts, those who like a rapid transition from shoulder to shoulder, for anyone who is looking for another option in a receiver attachment point, or for those who simply are infected with the Magpul virus.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=302

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8182%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

ETA- Sorry for any earlier confusion, and thanks for the quick help in this thread.

frogger
02-12-09, 21:01
I've been debating buying a couple of those. I currently use the one from MI that goes over the castle nut, but it means my CTR stock won't snap into the shortest position. Will these work with a sling with the HK snap hook?

Stickman
02-12-09, 21:24
Edited

bigshooter
02-12-09, 21:33
when?, where?.

yeah I know, but had to ask.

RogerinTPA
02-12-09, 21:40
Ditto.....any idea when these will be made available?

LOKNLOD
02-12-09, 21:43
The Magpul page says expected to be available 2/14.

JSGlock34
02-12-09, 22:38
Looks interesting...can you collapse a stock all the way with that attachment?

fodder
02-13-09, 21:11
These are in and available for order, folks. I just picked up the MS2 and ASAP. Get 'em quick!!

Honu
02-13-09, 22:09
These are in and available for order, folks. I just picked up the MS2 and ASAP. Get 'em quick!!

where did you get them ? from their site directly ?

Iraq Ninja
02-13-09, 22:47
I just ordered a set directly from Magpul. Slings are only available in black.

Patrick Henry
02-13-09, 23:23
There's a great demo from ShotShow 2009 of the MS2 sling and ASAP plate on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYsl1XrsNc&feature=related).

Honu
02-13-09, 23:46
well decided to order and try it out :)

the_1iviper
02-14-09, 02:36
another order in.:p

i've been looking forward to this since the video from shot.:D

ChristopherM4
02-14-09, 07:44
another order in.:p

i've been looking forward to this since the video from shot.:D

Yeah same here, ordered a couple of plates and a sling too.

Topher

FPembleton
02-14-09, 08:40
Does anyone know of a good front attachment point solution when using the sling in two-point mode?

mark5pt56
02-14-09, 08:57
Does anyone know of a good front attachment point solution when using the sling in two-point mode?

It depends if you want it to be QD swivel, HK/MASH hook or hard point?

Based on the thread, I'm guessing hook type-CQD mount.

Derek_Connor
02-14-09, 10:15
It depends if you want it to be QD swivel, HK/MASH hook or hard point?

Based on the thread, I'm guessing hook type-CQD mount.

I know the Dieter CQD works..

I am going to give the VTAC mount a try...

I'd venture a guess and say most will be running it as a 1-point sling 95% of the time, and we get lazy/tired we'll move it to 2-point for the comfort factor.

Outlander Systems
02-14-09, 10:53
I've been debating buying a couple of those. I currently use the one from MI that goes over the castle nut, but it means my CTR stock won't snap into the shortest position. Will these work with a sling with the HK snap hook?

I ditched mine (MI sling attachment).

I hated it for a multitude of reasons:

1) As you've stated, the CTR wouldn't fully collapse, and was always in position 2

2) No matter what I did, it wouldn't stay on tight enough. It wasn't rock-solid, even with my favourite, signature, substance.

3) The sharp edges would fray/cut/damage my sling.

If I get a sling plate for my back-up blaster, and it was a non-swivel, I'd like to find one with the attachment point bent back at least 45 degress so it's further out of the way.

I'd like to give the ASAP a shot. Are the MP slings coming out in OD?

No.6
02-14-09, 11:22
If I get a sling plate for my back-up blaster, and it was a non-swivel, I'd like to find one with the attachment point bent back at least 45 degress so it's further out of the way.

Like this one?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=632618

Trying to decide between the MagPul one, the one from ikickhippies, and this one:

http://www.crosstac.com/vmchk/AR-15-Accessories/Ambi-Sling-Connector.html

To me there's pros and cons to each. I like the ultra low profile of the crosstac, but I wonder if it would limit movement range, and I wonder about the sling eye/plate interface and how permanent it is. The one by ikickhippies is the simplest, but I wonder how easily bent it might be, but it looks like it has the same range of movement that the MagPul has. The only thing I don't like the ASAP plate is the welded chain link, seems like it might be noisy, but it sure would allow maximum range of movement.

Outlander Systems
02-14-09, 11:35
I'm digging the looks of the crosstac, since it's so low-pro. The ikickhippies one is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, except I want the attachment point on the side so the natural inclination of the rifle is to rotate/stay on my non-dominant side when released.

I've never used an ambi-sling plate, so I could be knocking it before I'm trying it. I just keep thinking that being rearward, instead of on the side, entanglement and twisted up slings could be a result, unless the sling is attached with some sort of rotating clamp.

Talk about overanalyzing. Geez. I just want something that will stay in place when released, not wiggle loose, and NOT cut my sling like the MI mount did.

At least we've got all sorts of options.

Stickman
02-14-09, 12:23
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8202%201028%20Stick.jpg

YVK
02-14-09, 21:16
Stickman, thank you, this is very informative photo. So, the way I see it, if I were to try ASAP system and I didn't like it, I could later install Tango Down PR4 behind it without a problem?

kaiservontexas
02-15-09, 01:25
"MagPul virus" Yes, I am infected!

fodder
02-15-09, 06:22

According to Drake, the DD QD mount works well. That's what he is using.

rob_s
02-15-09, 08:11
According to Drake, the DD QD mount works well. That what he is using.

I'm not sure I understand how that would work.

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 08:13

He's probably attaching the Magpul slings latch to the DD QD swivel directly. Then attaching the DD QD swivel to the DD end plate.

rob_s
02-15-09, 08:14

This is what they had on the gun at SHOT (http://www.cqd.net/CQDFSM.php), but it looked like it had to be relieved a bit to remove material for the clip.

http://www.cqd.net/images/forwardSling_01_large.jpg

http://www.cqd.net/images/forwardSling_02_large.jpg

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 08:53
He's probably attaching the Magpul slings latch to the DD QD swivel directly. Then attaching the DD QD swivel to the DD end plate.

While the DD QD swivel and plate would work, it just wouldn't be ideal. You can still get 180degrees of movement I believe with that type of setup. It just might be a bit noisey and "clanky" since the swivel will probably butt up against the buffer tube with the sling attached to it..

The dremel is definitely coming out for the CQD hooks, and I am going to try to get a VTAC Sling attachment to work as well, that will be tricky.

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 09:00
While the DD QD swivel and plate would work, it just wouldn't be ideal. You can still get 180degrees of movement I believe with that type of setup. It just might be a bit noisey and "clanky" since the swivel will probably butt up against the buffer tube with the sling attached to it..

The dremel is definitely coming out for the CQD hooks, and I am going to try to get a VTAC Sling attachment to work as well, that will be tricky.

I agree and when I get my Magpul sling I'll be using the Magpul end plate mount.

After using your GEAR sector single point sling on your gun and the ACR for a bit at the Magpul class last year I bought one for my 12" SBR. I got the adapter for it that works with the DD QD end plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/SBR-1.jpg

Federale
02-15-09, 09:30
I'm going to need to see how this is deployed in 2 point mode. (Anyone have some good pics of that?) As much as I like Magpul products and have a fondness for the latest and greatest, I'm not sure how much use I have for a single point sling. I also have issues when a product tries to be two things at once (like both a single and two point sling). A lot of times that means compromise. Two point is a better system for me.

Without knowing much about this, it appears that this is probably better as a single point sling. in which case, for me, see my second sentence above. ;) In that case, my Vickers slings will continue to work better for me.

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 09:47
I agree and when I get my Magpul sling I'll be using the Magpul end plate mount.

After using your GEAR sector single point sling on your gun and the ACR for a bit at the Magpul class last year I bought one for my 12" SBR. I got the adapter for it that works with the DD QD end plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/SBR-1.jpg

Good to hear its working decently enough.

I run into the same problem on my gun right now, I am running some unknown bobo rear sling mount with that gear sector sling, its not an ideal hook up point, and I can still transition left and right easily - although it wont be as smooth as the magpul rear sling..

Federale, I can understand the concern. I dont think this product will compromise between the 1-point and 2-point systems.

It will be able to be adjusted like the other popular 2 points, the only obvious difference I can see what now in how it hooks up, and its not padded.

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 09:50
I'm going to need to see how this is deployed in 2 point mode. (Anyone have some good pics of that?) As much as I like Magpul products and have a fondness for the latest and greatest, I'm not sure how much use I have for a single point sling. I also have issues when a product tries to be two things at once (like both a single and two point sling). A lot of times that means compromise. Two point is a better system for me.

Without knowing much about this, it appears that this is probably better as a single point sling. in which case, for me, see my second sentence above. ;) In that case, my Vickers slings will continue to work better for me.

The Magpul sling is the heat. It's the best of both worlds without giving up anything. I used a 2pt sling in an advanced carbine Magpul class and quickly saw the limitations of a 2pt only sling. The was especially apparent when shooting urban prone and having to switch shoulders on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYsl1XrsNc

Federale
02-15-09, 10:30
The Magpul sling is the heat. It's the best of both worlds without giving up anything. I used a 2pt sling in an advanced carbine Magpul class and quickly saw the limitations of a 2pt only sling. The was especially apparent when shooting urban prone and having to switch shoulders on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYsl1XrsNc

Right, every sling system has its advantages and disadvantages, but for my purposes, I don't see changing from a two point to a one point while on the run. Are you thinking differently? Because the way I look at it, the rifle will be either be hooked up to run as a one point or as a two point from the time its deployed. If I go prone and the sling is hooked up as a two point, then I probably will have a brief "damn, I wish I hooked this up as a one point" moment, right before I hit the QD button and solve the problem if I have to (yes, its not ideal, but I'm more likely to let a rifle hang and having a single point bounce around in front of my is a nuisance I'm more likely to face). So for me, I'd be much more likely to choose to run the sling as a two point as they serve me better.

So I guess what I'm asking is how good is this as a two point? To me, it looks like its more geared to being a single point with the benefit of being deployed as a two point if wanted. Or am I nitpicking?

Federale
02-15-09, 10:34
Federale, I can understand the concern. I dont think this product will compromise between the 1-point and 2-point systems.

It will be able to be adjusted like the other popular 2 points, the only obvious difference I can see what now in how it hooks up, and its not padded.

My experience with HK hooks (on HK's) has made me appreciate QDs. So I have some questions about this hook and the possible amount of noise it could also make too.

rob_s
02-15-09, 10:39
To me, it looks like its more geared to being a single point with the benefit of being deployed as a two point if wanted.

I think this is an accurate statement.

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 10:47
Right, every sling system has its advantages and disadvantages, but for my purposes, I don't see changing from a two point to a one point while on the run. Are you thinking differently? Because the way I look at it, the rifle will be either be hooked up to run as a one point or as a two point from the time its deployed. If I go prone and the sling is hooked up as a two point, then I probably will have a brief "damn, I wish I hooked this up as a one point" moment, right before I hit the QD button and solve the problem if I have to (yes, its not ideal, but I'm more likely to let a rifle hang and having a single point bounce around in front of my is a nuisance I'm more likely to face). So for me, I'd be much more likely to choose to run the sling as a two point as they serve me better.

So I guess what I'm asking is how good is this as a two point? To me, it looks like its more geared to being a single point with the benefit of being deployed as a two point if wanted. Or am I nitpicking?

I find for short-light guns single points work best. Fast to transition shoulders fast to manipulate the gun. I'm not a police officer or soldier and won't be carrying/holding/patrolling/securing a perimeter while using a longer/heavier rifle. That is where I believe a 2pt works better. You have to find what works best for you but to stay open minded enough to take an honest look at new things/methods etc.

Another thing in class I found where the 2pt slowed me down was in the one handed weapon manipulations. This is using only the strong hand or only the weak hand to clear a malfunction and get the primary back up and running. The 2pt got in the way during this. This doesn't mean I'll be solely using single point slings. Like I said for short and light rifles (like my 10" and 12" SBRs) to me the single point makes much more sense to me. For a 16" or much heavier AR the 2pt sling makes more sense to me. With the longer heavier gun the 2pt sling keeps the rifle from flopping around when transitioning or doing things where my hands aren't on the primary. YMMV.

Federale
02-15-09, 10:51
I find for short-light guns single points work best. Fast to transition shoulders fast to manipulate the gun. I'm not a police officer or soldier and won't be carrying/holding/patrolling/securing a perimeter while using a longer/heavier rifle. That is where I believe a 2pt works better. You have to find what works best for you but to stay open minded enough to take an honest look at new things/methods etc.

Another thing in class I found where the 2pt slowed me down was in the one handed weapon manipulations. This is using only the strong hand or only the weak hand to clear a malfunction and get the primary back up and running. The 2pt got in the way during this. This doesn't mean I'll be solely using single point slings. Like I said for short and light rifles (like my 10" and 12" SBRs) to me the single point makes much more sense to me. For a 16" or much heavier AR the 2pt sling makes more sense to me. With the longer heavier gun the 2pt sling keeps the rifle from flopping around when transitioning or doing things where my hands aren't on the primary. YMMV.

The rifle I tote is a 16 inch Colt HBAR with lights and doodads attached, so you can probably see why I like my 2 point. :)

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 10:57
The rifle I tote is a 16 inch Colt HBAR with lights and doodads attached, so you can probably see why I like my 2 point. :)

Hell yeah I'd be using a 2pt on that too! :eek:

Federale
02-15-09, 11:00
Hell yeah I'd be using a 2pt on that too! :eek:

Freakin duty rifle! LOL.

I may try the Magpul on one of the other rifles. Its not like I'm adverse to buying the latest and greatest.:)

FPembleton
02-15-09, 12:21
I'm going to give this a try on a couple of 10.5" ARs, but I'll stay with the VCAS for my 16" midlength guns.

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 12:21
Freakin duty rifle! LOL.

I may try the Magpul on one of the other rifles. Its not like I'm adverse to buying the latest and greatest.:)

That makes sense....for sure on a duty rifle, a padded 2-point makes sense.

Its hard to keep things in perspective, Robb and I run similar setups, his 10.5 actually inspired my latest build, light is good. Light is really good, and with a single point, you can really exploit it.

VA_Dinger
02-15-09, 12:37
What does barrel length have to do with sling selection? I do not seem to understand that point. I've seen the same issues with single point slings when using my 10.5" as I do when shooting a 14.5"-16" weapon.

I see this as a great sling for a competition specific rifle. With nothing to worry about but shooting for relatively short periods of time, it would do well.

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 13:01
What does barrel length have to do with sling selection? I do not seem to understand that point. I've seen the same issues with single point slings when using my 10.5" as I do when shooting a 14.5"-16" weapon.

I see this as a great sling for a competition specific rifle. With nothing to worry about but shooting for relatively short periods of time, it would do well.

What I believe Rob and Federale are mentioning is that a longer barrel length with more go fast gadgets on it being attached at one single point behind the rifle will make it act MORE like a pendulum.

With a longer barrel length, this could mean the pendulum would reach further in distance when it was swinging around beneath you hitting/grabbing whatever it came into (dirt, your battle buddy, your testicles..etc)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Pendulum_animation.gif

But when you add one more attachment point to the longer rifle, it negates the swinging above.

Now flip over to the single point on a shorter SBR (10-12in), I'd agrue to say the single point by design keeps the rifle closer to ones body when standing straight up, less barrel to move around to hit you or your partnet, so you can afford the single point attachment.

Thats my ASSumption that they were getting at..i could be off base.

Im curious, you dont see any other merits to the design other than for competition, and brief shooting evolutions?

VA_Dinger
02-15-09, 13:12
Maybe it is the muzzle strike to the ground issue when kneeling - unless you have the weapon in your hands and under control at all times. Certainly a shorter barrel length weapon would help to alleviate this single point sling issue for the most part. Depending on the body style of the shooter. For shorter guys it still might be an problem though. but that would also depend on how they have there sling set-up.

The fulcrum point issue seems a little far out to me. I do not see 4-6 inches of additional barrel making much of a difference.

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 13:21
The fulcrum point issue seems a little far out to me. I do not see 4-6 inches of additional barrel making much of a difference.

Understandable, but its also 4-6 inches of hbar bbl, 2-4inches more of rail, possibly a magnified optic to compliment the longer bbl, lights, IRs, maybe a suppressor, etc...

rob_s
02-15-09, 13:27
I'm another one that only runs a single-point on my lightweight, non-suppressed SBR. Up until my recent BCM upper I only have "pencil" barrels, and I still find that it makes a difference.

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 14:02
FWIW in reference to competition when I use a sling it's a 2pt. I use a sling in competition only when it's s competitive advantage at an 'outlaw' 3gun match.
Sometimes in an 'outlaw' 3gun match the course of fire will allow the shooter to transition to his/her pistol by either grounding the rifle or shotgun or letting it hang. Mine 'hang' more safely and doesn't flop around possibly muzzling other competitors/spectators using a 2pt. I have nothing against a 2pt slings I own and use many of them. They have their own place and time. As the old saying goes. It's a Way, it's not The Way.

Notice the DD QD mounts on the lower and FF tube? Those are for padded 2pt BFG Vickers sling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifle4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifle-2.jpg

ETA: USPSA Multi-gun rules state that one gun must be left behind usually in a protected barrel with the safety on or unloaded with the bolt/slide locked back before using the next gun. This is why you don't see slings used at sanctioned USPSA rules Multigun matches.

LOKNLOD
02-15-09, 14:49
Single-points shine when doing dynamic shooting, especially in close quarters.

Two-points really come into their own when more administrative action comes into play, carrying the rifle, patrolling, using your hands for other things, etc.

Quick-adjust 2 points (especially the Vickers) have come a long way in bridging the gap and making them about as versatile as possible, adding some of the single-points' function while keeping the 2-points' utility.

Seem to me the Magpul setup is just trying to answer the same question by approaching it from the opposite direction -- by adding some of the 2-points' utility to a single point sling. It seems to do it quite well, though only time in people's hands will tell.

I still plan to run a VCAS on my 16" middy 12" railed 1-4x optic'd carbine...but I want to build an SBR and try out a Magpul sling setup.

KevinB
02-15-09, 15:00
I find an unsuppressed Mk18 hangs nicely from a single point.

Unfortunately any physical activity, rappeling, fast roping etc. is dangerous as hell with a single point, and they have correctly fallen out of favor due to that.

I got to see Travis and Chris demo these slings and it looked good.

VA_Dinger
02-15-09, 15:11
I have no doubt that for single point fans they will be the cats meow.

:D

C4IGrant
02-15-09, 15:18
That makes sense....for sure on a duty rifle, a padded 2-point makes sense.

Its hard to keep things in perspective, Robb and I run similar setups, his 10.5 actually inspired my latest build, light is good. Light is really good, and with a single point, you can really exploit it.

I run two point slings on 10.5's. NO issues.

C4

mark5pt56
02-15-09, 15:23
Single-points shine when doing dynamic shooting, especially in close quarters.

Two-points really come into their own when more administrative action comes into play, carrying the rifle, patrolling, using your hands for other things, etc.

Quick-adjust 2 points (especially the Vickers) have come a long way in bridging the gap and making them about as versatile as possible, adding some of the single-points' function while keeping the 2-points' utility.

Seem to me the Magpul setup is just trying to answer the same question by approaching it from the opposite direction -- by adding some of the 2-points' utility to a single point sling. It seems to do it quite well, though only time in people's hands will tell.

I still plan to run a VCAS on my 16" middy 12" railed 1-4x optic'd carbine...but I want to build an SBR and try out a Magpul sling setup.

Like the old Deiter set up? He had the same concept. The sling could've been simplfied a bit though.

Stickman
02-15-09, 15:26

It looks like the below image.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/0O2P1243-A-1028-Stick.jpg

rob_s
02-15-09, 15:26
Like the old Deiter set up? He had the same concept. The sling could've been simplfied a bit though.

This is one thing I think a lot of people are losing in this; the concept of a one-to-two-point sling isn't new. The CQD, the original Wilderness single-point, and I think that CQB Solutions even had one back in the day.

GLOCKMASTER
02-15-09, 15:27
I ran single points on my long guns several years ago. They worked great on the square range. But in my line of work they quickly went by the wayside for some of the reasons KevinB, Federale and others mentioned above.

mark5pt56
02-15-09, 15:28
This is one thing I think a lot of people are losing in this; the concept of a one-to-two-point sling isn't new. The CQD, the original Wilderness single-point, and I think that CQB Solutions even had one back in the day.

indeed

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 15:29
I run two point slings on 10.5's. NO issues.

C4

I never said anyone would have issues with 10.5's and 2 points, my post was stating that a single point and a light SBR really compliment each other.

subzero
02-15-09, 15:30

That's what I was thinking when I saw this. The thing that sucked about the Deiter setup was that you couldn't quickly adjust the length of the sling. So if you ran it as a 2 pt most of the time and made it a single point, it was overly large and more floppy. If you ran it as a single point and unclipped a point to make it a 2 pt, the sling had about the same utility as a carry strap unless you ran out the length.

This design allows both. I think it's a nifty idea, but I'd like to see a padded or wider (~1.5") version.

ETA damn, too slow.

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 15:31

Agreed, while this concept isn't new, one could definitely see that the simplicity of this particular sling is though.

rob_s
02-15-09, 16:38
Also with running a redi-mag, the 2point becomes more obtrusive in my workspace, doesn't matter where its hooked on the FF rail either. And a 1-point clears that up for me..

A point I've noticed as well.

VA_Dinger
02-15-09, 17:09
Also with running a redi-mag, the 2point becomes more obtrusive in my workspace, doesn't matter where its hooked on the FF rail either. And a 1-point clears that up for me..

I also ran across this problem. It wasn't a big deal but popped up every now and then. I just moved my M.I. sling mount farther forward. Now it's all the way forward on my rail. It's out of the way of my BFG/VT Redi-Mag and also makes a handy hand stop as I reach out as far as possible on the rail for more control.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/HK416A003.jpg

Jay Cunningham
02-15-09, 17:29
Everyone please keep this thread on topic and keep the tone respectful. Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

Stickman
02-15-09, 19:00
Back to the ASAP sling mount portion of the thread, here is a picture that shows the full extent of the anti-rotation sections.

The ASAP also works well with other slings for those people who are happy with what they have, though the mount type may make the ultimate decision in some regards.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8218%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

Derek_Connor
02-15-09, 20:16
Everyone please keep this thread on topic and keep the tone respectful. Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

WOW, this thread got mopped up ricky tick.

I thought some of us were doing a pretty good job exchanging logical ideas and debating the topic until it came to the discussion of "X and Y do this so nothing else matters"

I dont understand why my posts were removed as they were actually productive in answering the questions that Grant was asking.

I also ran across this problem. It wasn't a big deal but popped up every now and then. I just moved my M.I. sling mount farther forward. Now it's all the way forward on my rail. It's out of the way of my BFG/VT Redi-Mag and also makes a handy hand stop as I reach out as far as possible on the rail for more control.

Dinger, I tried moving the sling plate out further out on the rail as well, but with my anatomy and where I like the rifle to hold, on top of kit, wasn't ideal..

Jay Cunningham
02-15-09, 20:23
Derek, if you have a problem with my moderation of this thread please pm me to discuss it or by all means pm a staff member and discuss it with them. I cleaned up NUMEROUS posts in this thread so if you feel like you have been singled out and picked on you can include that in your formal complaint.

JSGlock34
02-15-09, 21:09

The EMDOM/MM Gunslinger sling was another approach to this as well. The MagPul approach is intriguing though.

nickdrak
02-15-09, 21:16

From all of the info & demos shown by the MagPul crew, it is apparent that this sling/ASAP combo was designed from its inception to be a single point sling, that offers the additional utility of being able to sling the weapon up in 2-point mode when you need to go "hands-on" e.g: handcuffing, climbing through a window, up a ladder, or over an obstacle, and then returning to single point mode.

For those that prefer a 2-point sling, then I think sticking with a VCAS or VTAC 2-point will suit you better.

While I do believe that the SHOT Show demo succeded in "WOW-ing" alot of guys into believing that they "need" this new sling set-up, I think the demo also accurately displays the benefits of the MagPul/ASAP sling set-up.

I started out as a single point guy, but after a about a year of carrying my rifle around on-duty with the 1-point, I realized that a 1-point sling was almost completely useless as a "sling" for those "hands-on" moments. I really think this new MagPul offering is the optimal compromise or bridge between the two designs, and will be a patrolman's best friend.

nickdrak
02-15-09, 21:19
Stickman,

Have you tried to stake the ASAP plate yet?

Stickman
02-15-09, 21:58
Stickman,

No, I only have one, and its swapped around between a couple lowers right now.

Robb Jensen
02-15-09, 23:05
Stickman,

I should have one one very soon on my 10" SBR and I'll be sure to stake it and I'll let you know how hard or easy that is. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

mtdawg169
02-16-09, 20:32
Anyone know if this will fit a KAC ambidextrous lower? I'm curious to know if the swivel cups built into the lower will get in the way of the forward protrusions on the plate. If it will clear, I'm in for two!

vicious_cb
03-24-09, 01:34
I should have one one very soon on my 10" SBR and I'll be sure to stake it and I'll let you know how hard or easy that is. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

How'd it turn out? Im guessing it would be a bitch to stake since the thing is cast steel instead of aluminum

Magsz
03-24-09, 13:08
I have two which i recently staked.

Its not "hard" per say but its also not as easy as staking other endplates for one reason alone.

The endplate is large and its outer diameter does not sit flush with the castle nut or even close.

You really have to move ALOT of material from the endplate over into the castle nut cutouts in order to stake it properly. I ended up staking in FOUR areas. Two whacks per cutout. Its disgusting, its not pretty but it seems as though there is enough material in there to prevent it from moving.

I used a prick punch and was thinking that using a screw driver for a squareish displacement of metal might have been a little more ideal.

Cochese
03-04-10, 10:26
Will these work with a sling with the HK snap hook?

Anyone?

I'm looking at a MK-1 PIG with an HK snap hook and I am interested in the ASAP plate to replace my DD BSA. Thanks

SeriousStudent
03-04-10, 21:19
How'd it turn out? Im guessing it would be a bitch to stake since the thing is cast steel instead of aluminum

Mine was not terribly difficult. I mounted the lower on a receiver block, clamped in a vise. A friend has a small cold chisel that he ground top a narrow taper, just for staking castle nuts.

Two good taps with a three-pound sledge did the job. I did the same as Magsz, and staked it in two spots. I'm just OCD that way. ;)

shootist~
03-04-10, 21:55
Anyone?

I'm looking at a MK-1 PIG with an HK snap hook and I am interested in the ASAP plate to replace my DD BSA. Thanks

I put an HK snap hook on the end of a VCAS sling and it seems to work fine with the ASAP.

Luke_Y
03-05-10, 06:33
Anyone?

I put an HK snap hook on the end of a VCAS sling and it seems to work fine with the ASAP.

As a caution, I recall reading not too long ago in the other big sling thread that a user had an HK snap hook do the spontaneous disconnect thing within the first minute or two of connecting it. So, that was a no-go for him.

shootist~
03-05-10, 12:32
As a caution, I recall reading not too long ago in the other big sling thread that a user had an HK snap hook do the spontaneous disconnect thing within the first minute or two of connecting it. So, that was a no-go for him.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the special Magpul Sling connector when mounted in two point mode to the FSB?

Luke_Y
03-05-10, 14:15
Are you sure you are not thinking of the special Magpul Sling connector when mounted in two point mode to the FSB?

Nope found it, it was this quote;

I started with a BFG VCAS. Starting at the forward attach point, I used the BFG quick release fastener loop adapter, and attached to an HK hook. At the rear, to attach to the ASAP, I wanted to use a MASH hook, since I quickly had an HK hook, spontaneously disconnect from the ASAP, within a few seconds of use. From the MASH, I used a piece of 1 1/4" wide webbing, about 12-14" long and a GI sling buckle (without seeing this thread recently, it was much like rob_s' version, creepy ), and connected the MASH hook to a 1 1/4" D-ring, that I recycled from an old dog collar. Then, just route the VCAS to the D-ring, and adjust.

From THIS (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=542216&postcount=119) post in THIS (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=584216) thread.

No personal experience with HK hooks and the ASAP but, I've had trouble with HK Hooks in anything other than correctly sized attachment points. As always, YMMV :)

shootist~
03-05-10, 15:22
Nope found it, it was this quote;

From THIS (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=542216&postcount=119) post in THIS (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=584216) thread.

No personal experience with HK hooks and the ASAP but, I've had trouble with HK Hooks in anything other than correctly sized attachment points. As always, YMMV :)

Aw-So. Thanks for taking the time to pull that up. I have a mash hook on hand and will give it a try in place of the HK hook.