PDA

View Full Version : Noveske KX3 flash suppressor- specific thoughts?

RE4
02-13-09, 12:04
I have a 16" rifle that I would like to reduce the recoil on - even reduce the sound. I understand that a silencer requires a tax stamp, but does anyone have experience using this suppressor on a 16" barrel? If I understand correctly this suppressor directs the sound forward making it seem quieter to the shooter and reduces the recoil at the same time.

Really how much can KX3 really reduce the sound to the shooter and recoil ?

Any reviews on a 16"?

spamsammich
02-13-09, 12:18
I wouldn't put that heavy chunk of metal at the end of a 16" barrel. I don't even think Noveske recommends doing that.

steve-oh
02-13-09, 12:29
If you're looking to reduce the recoil, I hear the primary weapons system muzzle device is good for that.

Jay Cunningham
02-13-09, 12:30
I have a 16" rifle that I would like to reduce the recoil on - even reduce the sound. I understand that a silencer requires a tax stamp, but does anyone have experience using this suppressor on a 16" barrel? If I understand correctly this suppressor directs the sound forward making it seem quieter to the shooter and reduces the recoil at the same time.

Any reviews on a 16"?

I think that you would be wasting your money.

C4IGrant
02-13-09, 12:31

Any reviews on a 16"?

I wouldn't put one on a 16" weapon.

C4

spamsammich
02-13-09, 12:31
If you're looking to reduce the recoil, I hear the primary weapons system muzzle device is good for that.

+1 on this.

tiger seven
02-13-09, 12:32
In my experience (I have one on a 10.5" LMT) the KX3 does nothing to reduce felt recoil. Also, I would never put one on a 16" carbine.

Your best bet to reduce recoil would be a muzzle brake of some sort, but that certainly won't help reduce the noise level. However, some of the newer brake designs don't sound much louder than a standard A2 flash suppressor. I think you'll probably have to decide which bothers you more, the recoil or the noise, and focus on that.

Derek

Spade
02-13-09, 13:04
I have one ona 14.5". I like it fine. To be honest though the 14.5 doesn't need it, So that being said I would agree not to put one a 16". In my opinion it does nothing to soften the sound. In fact I would say it is quite loud.

Iraq Ninja
02-13-09, 13:27
Put a .22 adapter in it. Way less recoil and sound ;)

Seriously, if your rifle is a 5.56 then you should not have a problem with recoil unless you have a physical problem. One of the great things about a DI system is that the recoil seems dampened when compared to a piston system.

What exactly is the issue with the recoil that concerns you? Are you pulling the stock into your shoulder correctly?

KevinB
02-13-09, 16:23
You can suppress a 16"as seen in my SR16 picture below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/IMG_3481.jpg

The huge gain of suppressors is in the fact that the tgt of your fire does not have the crack-thump method of target location - just a crack, so it is hard to locate the shooter do the shape of the sonic wave. The thump (muzzle gasses expanding) is reduced and minimized inside the can. If your not .mil its not such a big deal - but its still nice to shoot suppressed so the ears dont ring after a nice day - plus the recoil moderation and the accuracy gains from that are advatageous as well. Suppressors doe not need subsonic ammo - they reduce the muzzle blast, which is a majority of noise in the discharge of a weapon, bullet flight noise - the supersonic crack is a by product of supersonic ammo and that still exists, but it is down to a more polite sound - think .22LR

Your mistaking the KX3 as some sort of Sound Moderator - which it is not, it may direct some more sound downrange (along with a ton of flame) than a normal A2 FH would, but not appreciable, some near it say that is is more pleasant to shoot beside someone with one, as the muzzle gasses are not hitting you. While I like Noveske Barrels, I honestly don't think the KX3 does anything good on a M16FOW system. It can band-aid gas problems, but by adding its own issues.

Deep Six the KX3 for anything on this platform

spamsammich
02-13-09, 16:58
Put a .22 adapter in it. Way less recoil and sound ;)

Seriously, if your rifle is a 5.56 then you should not have a problem with recoil unless you have a physical problem. One of the great things about a DI system is that the recoil seems dampened when compared to a piston system.

What exactly is the issue with the recoil that concerns you? Are you pulling the stock into your shoulder correctly?

I'm guessing OP is interested in making faster follow up shots by decreasing the amount of recoil he has to fight. Correct? If so, a muzzle brake seems like the ticket. If not, Iraq Ninja is right. Find a less punchy way to satiate your hatred of paper.

USMC03
02-13-09, 18:04
I would not recommend a KX3 for a barrel over 12.5" (give or take an inch).

I ran a KX3 on my 11.5" barrel for work. I liked that the KX3 directed the muzzle blast, flash, gases, and noise down range (toward the target).

Short barreled rifles can be obnoxious and when shooting in close proximity to other Officers a KX3 on a short barreled rifle has a utility.

Take the following into consideration if considering the KX3. The KX3 is 8 oz (1/2 pound) and adds approximately 2.75" to the overall length of the barrel.

My 11.5" barrel with KX3 was only 1.75" shorter than my 14.5" M4 with Sabre Defense long A2 flash hider (overall length is 16.1").

In my opinion the extra weight and length of the KX3 were a fair trade off for the benefits gained by the KX3 when running it on a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR).

Putting the KX3 on a 16" barrel would make the overall length of the barrel 18.75" (that's almost 19"). If you put 1/2 lbs on the end of a 16" barrel and on the end of a 10.5" - 12.5" barrel, you will notice the weight a lot more on the 16" barrel (the weight is further away from the center of balance).

I like the KX3's on SBR's, but they have little to no use on longer barrels. In the picture below, the bottom gun is a 11.5" SBR w/ KX3, the gun above it is a 14.5" M4 with a Sabre Defense long A2 flash hider perminately attached (overall length 16.1"):

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Group%20Gun%20Pics/AllLMTs.jpg?t=1210463283

The KX3 does little to nothing to reduce muzzle flip or felt recoil. If you want quicker follow up shots (reduced muzzle flip), a muzzle brake or compensator is what you need. The down side to most muzzle brakes / compesators is that they are louder than a muzzle device like the USGI A2 compensator. The reason that most muzzle brakes are louder than flash hiders is because muzzle brakes directs the gases, muzzle blast, and noise directly out the sides of the muzzle brake (to the right and left).

I have used the PWS FSC556 and the Todd's Tiny Comp. Both are a little louder than the USGI A2 flash hider / compensator, but not by a wide margin. The FSC556 and Todd's Tiny Comp do a good job a reducing muzzle flip and are not obnoxiously loud like other muzzle brakes I have tried over the years.

As a general rule, on a 16" barrel, my personal opinion is to stick with the factory A2 flash hider / compensator.

S/F,
Jeff

NCPatrolAR
02-13-09, 19:57
YOu might want to try one of the Levang or Surefire muzzle breaks.