PDA

View Full Version : Good time to join the military?

parishioner
02-13-09, 15:18
Growing up I had always had an interest in the military. From playing army in the backyard, to going to air shows, to watching the discovery channel about the navy seals and what not. I have toyed with the notion of joining in the past but I would always tell myself that the military was not for me and that I have other plans in my life. Recently, the thought creeped back into my mind and I thought to myselft "why not?". I can do that. Not to mention that I have tremendous pride in America and I just have a desire to give back. I feel indebted to this country when thinking about all the veterans that have served our nation and I feel like joining would be the perfect way to do my part.

Since joining the military is a life changing decision, I did not want to rush into this and I wanted to give myself plenty of time to think about everything. Anyway, considering our new president, I am having second thoughts.

The guy was fishy before the election regarding his connections with Ayers and Reverend Wright. Now, he hasn't even been in office a MONTH and he has closed down gitmo, he has cut the defense budget by 55 billion dollars, and has dismissed the charges of the organizer of the USS Cole attack.

Considering this, one has to ask theirself, WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON? He maybe saying this and that but to me his actions are speaking far louder than his words. As far as Im concerned, he is just blowing smoke up everyones ass. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this guy and If i was in the military I don't know if I would be able to stomach this guy being my Commander-in-chief.

To me, he just doesn't seem like he would be on my side. So I ask you, do you think it is a good time to join the military?

madisonsfinest
02-13-09, 15:24
How old are you?

parishioner
02-13-09, 15:29
Im 20

AirTrafficControl
02-13-09, 16:24
AFSOC CCT....FTW!!!!

jtb0311
02-13-09, 16:25
I have tremendous pride in America and I just have a desire to give back. I feel indebted to this country when thinking about all the veterans that have served our nation and I feel like joining would be the perfect way to do my part.

How does Obama being president change these feelings that you claim to have? I was on active duty when Clinton was president. It's the office, not the man. You almost sound like you are making an excuse to not go in. If you are truly interested in serving, who our president is shouldn't be a factor (IMO).

Are you in college? If so, you might consider ROTC and a commission.

Iraqgunz
02-13-09, 16:34
You don't have to like the President, you just have to follow his orders. Remember that this country is bigger than just one man. If you are truly serious do it. In times like these we need to have strong people to help bring balance to the system. Hell I may even go back in the National Guard or something when this rollercoaster stops and I am an old ****.

parishioner
02-13-09, 16:36
How does Obama being president change these feelings that you claim to have? I was on active duty when Clinton was president. It's the office, not the man. You almost sound like you are making an excuse to not go in. If you are truly interested in serving, who our president is shouldn't be a factor (IMO).

Im not making excuses. I just have concerns. Why would I make excuses not to go when nobody is making me go?

Im just worried because we have no idea what this guy or the people he is surrounding himself with is capable of. His connections and his actions worrying me. I think it is perfectly fine to have concerns about the person that would be in charge of you. I am also not saying that Im not going to join, Im just asking if this is a good time.

QuietShootr
02-13-09, 16:43

Disclaimer: I am NOT going to get drawn into a long discussion about this, but I disagree. I see guys jumping down other guys' throats about this everywhere, and I have never said anything before now.

I say this only to establish my bonafides, as it were: I went on AD the first time at the end of Reagan's 2nd term, and I was in the Guard when Clinton took office (90% of the reason I got out at my ETS in the 90s), and I reenlisted after 9/11.

I'm out now, and I ain't going to reenlist under Hussein. If I were career and currently in, I'd suck it up and do it so I could finish my 20, but as it is, I have the ability to say no. He and his minions are the absolute antithesis of everything I believe in, and I will be damned if I'll put myself in a position to salute him and call him my commander-in-chief.

Someone who doesn't want to serve under a leader they do not support isn't necessarily yellow. Sometimes they are, but not always. Now if you're there, you suck it up and fulfill your ****ing contract. But if you don't want to serve the sonofabitch, then don't.

YMMV, my .02, and all that shit. Out.

jtb0311
02-13-09, 16:46
Im not making excuses. I just have concerns. Why would I make excuses not to go when nobody is making me go?

Im just worried because we have no idea what this guy or the people he is surrounding himself with is capable of. His connections and his actions worrying me. I think it is perfectly fine to have concerns about the person that would be in charge of you. I am also not saying that Im not going to join, Im just asking if this is a good time.

I meant that it sounded like you were making an excuse to yourself. I completely understand that it's a big decision - when I was 19 I enlisted in the USMC and was very nervous about it. You're considering making a complete, 100% change in your life.

If this isn't a good time to join when is a good time? What if Obama is elected to a second term? Are you going to wait until you're 28, then reconsider? What if :eek: Biden is elected in 8 years?

The oath that you will take if you go in is to "...defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." If you truly want to do this, don't let President Obama be a factor in your decision. This is between you and America.

jtb0311
02-13-09, 16:51
Someone who doesn't want to serve under a leader they do not support isn't necessarily yellow. Sometimes they are, but not always. Now if you're there, you suck it up and fulfill your ****ing contract. But if you don't want to serve the sonofabitch, then don't.

I guess all I can say is that I never considered myself as serving Bill Clinton, and if I was in now, I certainly wouldn't consider myself as serving Obama. But, to each their own. Thanks for your service. Have a good one.

QuietShootr
02-13-09, 16:52
I guess all I can say is that I never considered myself as serving Bill Clinton, and if I was in now, I certainly wouldn't consider myself as serving Obama. But, to each their own. Thanks for your service. Have a good one.

And yourself as well, sir.

madisonsfinest
02-13-09, 17:46
It would be quite the military if only republicans stayed in during the term of a republican president, and only democrats stayed in under a democrats term. That would go for any civilized country imo.

CarlosDJackal
02-13-09, 18:28
Disclaimer: I am NOT going to get drawn into a long discussion about this, but I disagree. I see guys jumping down other guys' throats about this everywhere, and I have never said anything before now.

I say this only to establish my bonafides, as it were: I went on AD the first time at the end of Reagan's 2nd term, and I was in the Guard when Clinton took office (90% of the reason I got out at my ETS in the 90s), and I reenlisted after 9/11.

I'm out now, and I ain't going to reenlist under Hussein. If I were career and currently in, I'd suck it up and do it so I could finish my 20, but as it is, I have the ability to say no. He and his minions are the absolute antithesis of everything I believe in, and I will be damned if I'll put myself in a position to salute him and call him my commander-in-chief.

YMMV, my .02, and all that shit. Out.

I was in the same boat. I wen active in 1984, ETS'd into the Guard in 1988. And went Inactive in 1996 when I finally had my fill of the Klintonian stupidity. One of the fellow Lieutenants in my Unit was a Klinton appointee and we used to talk at length about the attitudes of the other appointees, almost all of whom had never served in the Military, about the Military and those who serve.

The last straw was when my Unit was disbanded in 1995. One of my extra duties was that of the Battalion Recruitment and Retention Officer. I worked tirelessly, mostly without pay to set up Recruiting Events that resulted in a Unit Strength of 98%. Keep in mind out actual numeric strength was actually over 105%. But "only" 98% of our Unit MTO&E slots were filled with qualified personnel. For an Attack Helicopter Battalion, this was pretty damned good (especially since the Recruiter who supported us was a freaking idiot - but I digress).

So I bailed and am in the process of doing so with this Administration (although for mostly medical reasons this time - it really sucks getting old).

However, if you really want to serve in the Armed Forces don't let the fact that your CIC is a kenwaiian. While what he and his cronies do will affect the Big picture. What will make your life better or worse are the people you serve with. This is especially true with those who are your immediate Leaders.

I've always said that it's not the job that makes working a pleasure. It's the people. I can honestly say that some of the best times of my life was when I was in uniform doing some of the crappiest jobs man has ever come up with.

Good luck!!

parishioner
02-13-09, 19:55
However, if you really want to serve in the Armed Forces don't let the fact that your CIC is a kenwaiian. While what he and his cronies do will affect the Big picture. What will make your life better or worse are the people you serve with.

I just can't help think about Germany or Russia when Hitler and Stalin were the leaders. Would you still want to join the military if they were going to be your leaders, even if you love your country so much? Im not saying the president is as bad as them but really, who knows? He just doesnt give me a good feeling.

seb5
02-13-09, 20:05
Jman,

Only you can make the decision. Let me give you perspective, my own. I, like you always had the interest and desire. After high school I took the asvab and scored in the 90% range. I wasn't guaranteed the job I wanted, so walked away and went on with life. Marriage, kids, career, etc.

Fast forward 17 years. There were 3 things I really wanted to do in life. Military, Cop, SWAT. I did 2 out of 3 and thought I was doing pretty well. 2 friends were on the SWAT team and told me I could still join the reserves. I laughed. The next day I called the recruiter and told her I wanted to enlist.

Fast forward 8 years. A tour in Iraq running a convoy security team, AT's all over, and recently was advanced to Chief Petty Officer. The service isn't about the President.

It's about service to our Nation. Service is the important thing. If you can find a way to serve it doesn't have to be the military, just serve. Service to my community, service to my Nation, service to God.

Serving my nation in time of war does not define me as a person but it is the single greatest honor in my life. Don't do like I did and wait until you're 36. You will regret it.

parishioner
02-13-09, 20:12
Jman,

Only you can make the decision. Let me give you perspective, my own. I, like you always had the interest and desire. After high school I took the asvab and scored in the 90% range. I wasn't guaranteed the job I wanted, so walked away and went on with life. Marriage, kids, career, etc.

Fast forward 17 years. There were 3 things I really wanted to do in life. Military, Cop, SWAT. I did 2 out of 3 and thought I was doing pretty well. 2 friends were on the SWAT team and told me I could still join the reserves. I laughed. The next day I called the recruiter and told her I wanted to enlist.

Fast forward 8 years. A tour in Iraq running a convoy security team, AT's all over, and recently was advanced to Chief Petty Officer. The service isn't about the President.

It's about service to our Nation. Service is the important thing. If you can find a way to serve it doesn't have to be the military, just serve. Service to my community, service to my Nation, service to God.

Serving my nation in time of war does not define me as a person but it is the single greatest honor in my life. Don't do like I did and wait until you're 36. You will regret it.

Thanks for the advice. Im not going to decide right this second, but I will definitely keep soul searching and try to make a decision at some point.

Question. What was the job that you wanted that you werent guaranteed?

murphy j
02-13-09, 20:49
I've always said that it's not the job that makes working a pleasure. It's the people. I can honestly say that some of the best times of my life was when I was in uniform doing some of the crappiest jobs man has ever come up with.

Good luck!!

I can second this sentiment. I served under Bush Sr., then Klinton and left Active Duty in '97. I enlisted in the National Guard in '05. Part of the reason I was glad to be leaving AD in '97 was the zero defect mentality that was permeating the Army at that time, not to mention the NCO Corps 'Careerist' mentality was taking root at that time and I saw plenty of joes screwed over time and again by leadership, BUT, I would do it all over again just because of the Friends I made over those years. I'm still in contact with some of them to this day and those are lifetime bonds of friendship. Joining the military is a life changing event and for better or worse, you'll never be same person again. While I think everybody should do a few years Active, you might look at the National Guard as a way to give back to your community. Whatever you decide, the Best of Luck to you.

parishioner
02-13-09, 20:59
I can second this sentiment. I served under Bush Sr., then Klinton and left Active Duty in '97. I enlisted in the National Guard in '05. Part of the reason I was glad to be leaving AD in '97 was the zero defect mentality that was permeating the Army at that time, not to mention the NCO Corps 'Careerist' mentality was taking root at that time and I saw plenty of joes screwed over time and again by leadership, BUT, I would do it all over again just because of the Friends I made over those years. I'm still in contact with some of them to this day and those are lifetime bonds of friendship. Joining the military is a life changing event and for better or worse, you'll never be same person again. While I think everybody should do a few years Active, you might look at the National Guard as a way to give back to your community. Whatever you decide, the Best of Luck to you.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thanks for your service and for that matter thanks to everyone here who has served.

If Im going to join I think Im pretty set on joining the navy. As of now. That might change though.

seb5
02-13-09, 21:08
Thanks for the advice. Im not going to decide right this second, but I will definitely keep soul searching and try to make a decision at some point.

Question. What was the job that you wanted that you werent guaranteed?

I was young and thought it was all about me! I wanted direct enlistment to the Rangers. That was open then but the slots had been filled for that month or enlistment period. I just never went back or picked anything else. Big mistake.

Boss302
02-13-09, 21:31
I was sworn in to the LA National Guard on 20081218. I was pretty much in the same situation you were in. It was something that I had been wanting to do for quite some time, and I knew that I would regret not doing it.

Being in the military is not about who the president is. It's about defending the Constitution. It's about believing in something more than yourself. It's about being the best you can be, for the good of our country.

It's your decision to make, but I wouldn't let our current administration (or lack thereof) be the sole determining factor in the decision you make.

parishioner
02-13-09, 21:40
I was sworn in to the LA National Guard on 20081218.

It's your decision to make, but I wouldn't let our current administration (or lack thereof) be the sole determining factor in the decision you make.

Im not going to let it be the sole determining factor, its just causing me to have some thoughts thats all. Im still in the decision making process.

By the way, where do you live at in Louisiana. Im from Mandeville if you know where that is.

Boss302
02-13-09, 21:46
Im not going to let it be the sole determining factor, its just causing me to have some thoughts thats all. Im still in the decision making process.

By the way, where do you live at in Louisiana. Im from Mandeville if you know where that is.

I know how you feel.

I'm just south of you in Metairie.

Gutshot John
02-13-09, 21:53
I went in under Bush 41, and it was pretty good. Then Clinton came to power and it was like they were pushing you out the door. This of course was highly MOS/NEC dependent. If there aren't a lot of people in your MOS in a rank above, you will have lots of room for promotion. I took the E-5 test 3 times, twice scoring perfect and still didn't have enough points to advance until the last time.

At age 20, there is never going to be a better time. You were born when you were born. I think you will do well and you should do it one way or the other. The only decision will be whether you make it a career. Nothing in your age group is going to give you similar training and experience that will make for a better qualification for a civilian job if you don't stay in.

On a more personal level...you will see and do things that people only write about and imagine. My only advice to you is avoid female entanglements like a wife. It will only cause you problems in the service. Don't get married until you're 30. A girl will either understand the need to wait, or she won't. Move on if she doesn't. It's almost like joining the priesthood. I know how that sounds, but it's true.

Similarly you have to be able to check your ego and learn how to simply say "yes sir" and carry on. Sometimes it's going to stick in your craw, but you still have to do it. Learning that is invaluable. They don't call it the "suck" for nothing.

I'm not going to cherry-coat anything. Sometimes it's a blast, sometimes it sucks. Just like life.

I wish you luck. My sense is that you have a good sense of yourself and whether it's the right decision for you.

lalakai
02-13-09, 22:00
been going through this same consideration with my son; he took the oath on Wednesday for the Navy. He tested high enough for the 3 jobs he wants and made the initial test for the Seals. I think he's following the path most men his age look at; time to learn just how strong he is, to face a challenge, to get a view of life that few other people get, and to lay the foundation for his career.

lol he's geeked. Though he wouldn't be going in for several months, he's already been conditioning, and a Seal he met has given him recommendations for the type of conditioning he should be doing.

If you feel strongly about it, likely you will regret it if you don't experience it. Not sure if you will like it or not, and if not you will probably hate it. But almost everyone will agree, that it will have a beneficial impact on your life, that will influence you every day after that.

Miles Militis, Carpe Diem

RogerinTPA
02-13-09, 22:05
I personally wish more young men like you would be willing to serve, regardless of who is the Commander in Chief. Maybe we wouldn't have such an outbreak of candy ass boys running around pretending to be men. I say go enlist, do your time, learn your ass off, go back to school get your degree, live your life. In my case, I enlisted, did my time as an Infantryman, got out, went to college, then came back in as an 2LT (Aviation, then Military Intelligence). But I was always a patriot first and a gluten for punishment.:p Good luck in which ever Service you choose or not...It's your choice. ;)

tinman44
02-13-09, 22:19
The military (armed forces) is always hiring.

bkb0000
02-13-09, 22:31
flip a coin

life's biggest decisions are best settled this way.

Danny Boy
02-13-09, 23:42
I ship out in March to the Army (wishing I'd listened and gone Air Force now :P).

I wasn't born here and I'm on the older scale of new recruits. I have to admit the thought of who's in charge of the big picture hasn't really concerned me. I've been more concerned with trying to stay healthy, fit and focused on what lies ahead of me whilst juggling work and my wifes' concerns.

To the original poster....man......I had a fella tell me something similar as a reason for not wanting to join up. I dunno...without wanting to cause offense it seemed kinda lame to everyone I told about it. Maybe he'll just be another in a long of bosses that I'll think is an idiot, maybe not. I'm not stressed about it. After reading and re-reading Paul Howe's book I'm more concerned about being screwed over by the Officers!

Gentoo
02-14-09, 00:06
O My only advice to you is avoid female entanglements like a wife... Don't get married until you're 30. A girl will either understand the need to wait, or she won't. Move on if she doesn't. It's almost like joining the priesthood. I know how that sounds, but it's true.

Similarly you have to be able to check your ego and learn how to simply say "yes sir" and carry on. Sometimes it's going to stick in your craw, but you still have to do it. Learning that is invaluable. They don't call it the "suck" for nothing.

This is excellent advice for not just the military but life in general.

JSantoro
02-14-09, 02:56
I am currently 2 days away from my End of Current Contract date as a Marine. I'm a Sergeant, and it became pretty clear that I wasn't going to be promoted to SSgt before I became high-tenure and ineligible for re-enlistment (I'm not a shitbag, just not good garrison Marine, for reasons Chesty would approve of even if our kinder, gentler military does not) immediately after my last tour. It is what it is....

Once the I know I'm clear of the Gun Club, I'll be talking to a prior-service recruiter about joining the Army Reserve. While I'm aware of the fact that it'll mean a one-grade bump upward (maybe even a bonus of some sort, who knows?), that's not the reason why I'm doing it. My nation is at war. It's that simple to me. Personally, I disagree with the idea that who the President is should impact one's decision to enlist or not. He's not a king, he won't be there forever, and he has little to do with the day-to-day.

The overriding question has to be: Am I willing to write a check that has "Up To and Including My Life" in the box that I would usually write the $$$ amount? The job is not to sacrifice one's life, it is to risk that sacrifice (combat/combat support arms, primarily; obviously there's MOSs in which, let's fact it, that's not really a huge concern). It's to kill so that others might live. It's the stupidest crap you'll ever see in your life and the most fantastic stuff you'll ever do, often in the same 6hr period. You'll fully deserve to enjoy the fruits of the society you serve, when there are so many who clearly do not.

There's always going to be a President, and he's always going to pull bonehead moves. YOU are the one potentially putting pen to paper and swearing an oath, so the motivation has to come from within YOU, not from an artificial source like some douche sitting in a chair far, far away that you'll never see.

Jman, I hope that it doesn't read like I'm impugning or belittling your concerns. Not my intent, mea culpa if it reads that way. They're yours, and it's better that you have your reservations now than later. That said, part of being in the military is getting outside of your "comfort zone," which includes putting up with the commands of some dipshit, at any level you care to mention, that are legal, however stupid they may be.

Also, wholeheartedly concur with Gutshot John regarding marriage and the military. Biggest, stupidest headaches I ever dealt with revolved around married Marines, particularly the ones with wives that thought it was tougher to sit back here and worry while they get their cuticles pushed back than it was getting to go to Iraq and personally discover whether or not SAPI plates and Nomex work as advertised.

I have my reservations about going over to the Army, as well. First on the list is that I will have to wear a God. Damned. Beret. :mad: Damn you, Shinseki!

panzerr
02-14-09, 07:46
Before you make any decisions understand this: the military does not care about you. They will use you up until you are either useless to them or decide to part ways on your own terms. Put all that pride in your country and macho bullshit aside because when shit starts to blow up and your buddies are getting hurt or killed you will take a hard look at why you are really doing what you are doing.

If you feel like chancing a raging case of PTSD or possibly becoming seriously wounded with injuries that will never heal, I say 'what the hell', go for it and join a line unit.

If you want to use the military to your advantage learn something that you can apply after you ETS...something in the medical field would be best for today's economy.

Not to crap on your parade or anything, but I'm a combat vet and I want to tell you the ugly truth before you make any decisions.

calebgriffin31
02-14-09, 11:51
If you feel the call to defend your nation, go for it. Don't look back. Don't regret your decision. Make the most of your time and either stick around or get out and continue on with life. All of the men and women that have gone before you a I were willing to put their life on the line to preserve our way of life and our great Nation. Is it not your duty and responsibility as an able bodied young man to protect the way of life that you were so graciously given? Will your Patriotism merely end in words when your nation needs you most? In the grand scheme of things, what is four years of your life? Its your decision...

calebgriffin31
02-14-09, 11:56
dang double posts..

k_cheerangie
02-14-09, 12:01
Before you make any decisions understand this: the military does not care about you. They will use you up until you are either useless to them or decide to part ways on your own terms. Put all that pride in your country and macho bullshit aside because when shit starts to blow up and your buddies are getting hurt or killed you will take a hard look at why you are really doing what you are doing.

If you feel like chancing a raging case of PTSD or possibly becoming seriously wounded with injuries that will never heal, I say 'what the hell', go for it and join a line unit.

If you want to use the military to your advantage learn something that you can apply after you ETS...something in the medical field would be best for today's economy.

Not to crap on your parade or anything, but I'm a combat vet and I want to tell you the ugly truth before you make any decisions.

This guy is a marine for sure. :)

bkb0000
02-14-09, 12:04
the most compelling reason i can think of- what do you want to say when your grand kids ask you what you did during the war?

"i played video games."

or

"well, i signed up in the winter of '09. it was cold that year..."

bkb0000
02-14-09, 12:06

or he's just got a "raging case of PTSD."

Failure2Stop
02-14-09, 13:34
I joined at 18 under Clinton. I didn't join because I thought the president was the coolest dude around, I joined because I wanted to shoot machineguns, break things and blow shit up with the toughest buncha SOBs in the world. It wasn't long before I was in Haiti doing interesting variations of those themes.

The reality of the military is much different than what you see in movies and on the news. Playing videogames and airsoft do not come close the the incredible adrenaline rush and euphoria, nor the despair and loneliness that come with doing the job. Want to be a leader? It's even worse. If you haven't been in at least a few fist-fights (and know the pleasure that is a straight right to the snot-locker), you probably won't excel. That is, if you want to be in the type of unit that hunts the bad-guys instead of just running away fron their ambushes.

I have had the best times of my life and the worst times of my life in the service. I have met people I hope die horrible painful deaths with bloody pus running out of every orifice, and I have met men that I will never forget and whose friendships I will cherish to the end of my days.

I have truly learned to be comfortable with the knowledge that I will die- and I am confident that when that day comes I will grab my sword and head off to Valahala in the Viking way to join my brothers absent.

Though it has been a hard journey, I would trade nothing in the world for what it has made me.

JSantoro
02-14-09, 19:52

:D LOL, yeah, he very well could be. We can be pretty bitter, though it's no monopoly.

One thing that always chaps my sac:

I and all my immediate co-workers (trainers) are bullet sponges of one sort or another. We all make high-five-figure salaries (not counting per diem and OCONUS bonuses) because of our combat arms backgrounds, not in spite of them. The argument that you'll never get anywhere in the civilian world unless you get a technical, medical, or administrative background from the military is, without putting too fine a point on it and without injecting any inter-service rivalry propaganda, total horseshit.

The amount of prior-service cops on this board alone belie that myth, not to mention all the various tactical trainers the MIL, LEO, and armed civilian members here utilize to their benefit. Hell, I can't swing a dead cat over my head at work without hitting an acquisition analyst, logistician, supply specialist, or budget analyst that matriculated from Infantry, Armor, Artillery, or even Combat Engineers. Of the 67 people in my Program Office, 42 are prior-service Marines, two Navy. Of those Marines, 12 got out after fulfilling the four- or six-year Active Duty component of their first enlistment.

You get out of the military what you put into it, and you succeed (or DON'T) later based upon what YOU do with what you got out of the military. Anyone pointing an accusatory finger at their combat MOS background as the author of their woes needs to remember that there's three of those other fingers on that same hand pointing back at himself.

CarlosDJackal
02-14-09, 22:44
I just can't help think about Germany or Russia when Hitler and Stalin were the leaders. Would you still want to join the military if they were going to be your leaders, even if you love your country so much? Im not saying the president is as bad as them but really, who knows? He just doesnt give me a good feeling.

I have more respect for those who fought the Germans in Stalingrad and the Russians in Berlin, than those who ran to Canada during the Vietnam War.

I was able to do things that Bill Gates himself could never experience even if he were to give up all his wealth. If the economy were to crash and all the printed money became toilet paper, all the rich people out there will be be just as poor as the rest of us. But nothing anyone can do or say can ever take away how it felt to (INSERT ADVENTURE HERE). JM2CW.

bkb0000
02-14-09, 22:56
I have more respect for those fellow Soldiers who fought the Germans in Stalingrad and the Russians in Berlin, than those who ran to Canada during the Vietnam War. JM2CW.

i have more respect for jaish al mahdi than i do for draft dodgers.

gaijinsamurai
02-15-09, 02:03
I served on active duty during the terms of Reagan, Bush Sr., and Clinton, and in the National Guard during the first year of Bush Jr.'s presidency.

During Clinton's time in office, morale was not always at it's highest, but in retrospect, I'll take "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", the Monica Lewinsky Scandal, and having served under a President who "loathed" the military over being in Iraq.

I really don't think Obama will effect a whole lot in terms of day-to-day life for our men and women in the service, except hopefully get us out of Iraq quicker and in all likelihood, increase our committment to Afghanistan.

I'm thinking of going in the reserves.

Iraqgunz
02-15-09, 02:31
I know plenty of prior-service succes stories. One of my good friends from high school joined the Army and shipped out right after graduation. I followed a few months later after my 17th birthday. He was a grunt, served in Germany and then with the 101st in the Gulf War. He has been an LA County deputy sheriff for 17 years now. Another good friend (former MP)went on to BOP and is part of the SORT team. I wouldn't be where I am now had I not taken advantage of the time that I spent in the Army and later in the Coast Guard. It's all about taking risks, making the most of it and staying focused. When I enlisted Reagan was President, I then served under Bush Sr. and then later under GWB.

gaijinsamurai
02-15-09, 02:48
Well said, Iraqgunz!

The military offers a lot of opportunities to young men and women, and if you are highly motivated, hard-working, intelligent, and don't mind putting up with the annoyances, you can really make the most of it.

I've known young Marines who have been sent to college by the Marine Corps, and then given commissions (I believe Montel Williams did this, even though he ended up getting a Navy commission after being an enlisted Marine), and others who were sent to law school to become JAG officers.

My cousin joined the Navy after dropping out of high school, and ended up retiring as a Chief Petty Officer. He now makes really good money with the FAA.

I've never regretted my years in the military, and when my 2.5 year old son is old enough to join, I won't dissuade him from taking the same route I did.

Gutshot John
02-15-09, 09:31
The singular truth of Iraqgunz's statement is that it's what you make out of it.

That said, the truth of military service is that some of it is good, and some of it is bad, but in balance, most are glad they did it. That doesn't mean one should be pollyannish about it.

First there is never going to be a better time for you to join the military if that's what you really want to do. That said it isn't for everyone and fewer still make it a career.

Second there is significant opportunity to get training, but if you're smart, you can get trained/educated in the civilian world as well. There are better ways of making your bones without running the risk of getting your ticket punched UNLESS you feel the need to serve something bigger than yourself.

The opportunities are there, but make no mistake about the decision you're making. You better have more motivation than simply career opportunities. Yes you MIGHT get sent to college and become an officer, but the odds don't really support it unless you have the drive on your own.

There will be a divergence between what your recruiter says and the reality of your obligation and a lot of it depends on luck. Even if you are there for the right reasons, you're still going to have problems unless you get very lucky when it comes to your leadership. Under good leadership, being in the military is profoundly satisfying and is akin to a family. Under poor leadership, it can be very demoralizing, especially when you find an officer or NCO that might be threatened and take a dislike to you.

I experienced both, but as I look back I'm very grateful for the whole experience. I learned a lot about myself and when I went back to college I had the discipline to graduate top of my class and allowed me to move on to graduate work fully-funded. I am grateful for the friends I made and have to this day, some of whom have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Being in the military is a lot like life. Some good, some bad.

RogerinTPA
02-15-09, 11:12
Well said Gunshot John.

mmike87
02-15-09, 13:08

I did 6 years, half of which were under Clinton and the other half with Bush senior for Gulf War 1.

Obama is not Clinton. Clinton was just fascinated to be President and throught it was cool to be the Chief. He was not nearly as dangerous as Obama IMO. Obama actually, really thinks and plans on changing this country into something that I particularly do not like. He's a believer and that makes him dangerous.

Taking orders from Obama would sicken me. And under not circumstances would I EVER salute the SOB.

Now, if other folks can seperate the service from the Command in Chief - then that's great. I personally could not. I think is DOES matter who the boss is. At least to me.

But regardless, it's certainly an honorable profession, and I sincerely appreciate the service of anyone who chooses to join.

13F3OL7
02-16-09, 01:03
To the original poster. There is never going to be a "perfect" time to join the military. Ultimately, as others have said, it will all be up to you on when you decide to take that oath and serve the COUNTRY, not Obama, the country.

When I signed up it was for some of the same reasons as you. Chief among them love for my country and the desire to serve. Those reasons have evolved over the last 9 years. Yes I still love my country, but now I'm married with 2 sons and I will be damned if I leave the responsibility of protecting them and providing a safe place for them grow up into young men to someone else. That is why I continue to stay in.

But again, it is all up to you.

parishioner
07-12-09, 23:24
Hey guys. Like I said In my original post, I wanted to give my self plenty of time to think about the decision of joining and I have come to the conclusion that yes, I will be joining the military in the upcoming future.

I feel like this is the right time if I am going to do this. I was just accepted into nursing school this past spring and am scheduled to begin classes in the fall. My thinking is, if I join now and do 4 years, I will be 24 when I get out and I could go back and finish my two years of nursing school and get my degree.

Right now I am sort of debating between two branches. Option A is the Marine Corps because I'm not looking to make a career out of it. I just want a 4 year contract so I will be able to get my degree start a family and resume with regular life. This is what I am leaning towards.

The other option I was looking at was joining the Air Force and setting my goals high and pursuing a job as a Combat Controller. The reasons for that is because I am fairly interested in aviation, it is an adrenaline pumper, you acquire a tremendous amount of skill, you are pushed to your limits mentally and physically, and you surrounded by utmost professionalism. These characteristics are very attractive and desirable, the only thing is, if I were to pursue this goal I would most definitely be making a career out of it. I would not let all of that training and physical preparation go to waste.

So, I'm not completely sure about this and that's why I wanted to ask you guys what yall think about it since a lot of you have experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks

K.L. Davis
07-12-09, 23:36
For me, service was like the stock market, more about the long haul than the short term: 39, 40, 41, 42 and 43...

Good times and bad times, no regrets.

Savior 6
07-12-09, 23:53
jman4427, IMO you should give the Air Force a go. For having struggled with your decision the AF may be a better transition than the Corp which could be a total culture shock. With people who are "thinking" about the Military the AF is the service I usually suggest for the reason that it is more "civil". Only for people who need that confirming voice, do I push towards the other services. By this I mean people who have already told me what they want to do and just seem to want that extra encouragement.
I say go for the CCT and simply do your best, because even if you were to fail, what would people who haven't even tried, be able to say to you?

parishioner
07-13-09, 00:01
jman4427, IMO you should give the Air Force a go. For having struggled with your decision the AF may be a better transition than the Corp which could be a total culture shock. With people who are "thinking" about the Military the AF is the service I usually suggest for the reason that it is more "civil". Only for people who need that confirming voice, do I push towards the other services. By this I mean people who have already told me what they want to do and just seem to want that extra encouragement.
I say go for the CCT and simply do your best, because even if you were to fail, what would people who haven't even tried, be able to say to you?

Thanks for the encouragement. Its just that I don't know if that's what I want because if I succeed, I would most likely make a career out of it which would make family life more difficult. It would be lots of time away from them and I don't know if I could do that or if my girlfriend could handle that.

BiggLee71
07-13-09, 00:33

i concur.if you are sitting on the fence right now about joining the military,then as a former marine,i can tell you,don't do it.i dont know what marine corps boot camp or the schools are like now but when i went through them in 1989-1990,they weren't a cakewalk.join the air force.
uh-oh.i see you mentioned that you have a girlfriend. i'm sure some other's member's could take the time to fill you in on why having a g/f and being in the military go together like oil and water.

parishioner
07-13-09, 00:36
i concur.if you are sitting on the fence right now about joining the military,then as a former marine,i can tell you,don't do it.i dont know what marine corps boot camp or the schools are like now but when i went through them in 1989-1990,they weren't a cakewalk.join the air force.

What do you mean by "they weren't a cakewalk". I'm curious because I really wasn't expecting anything to be a cakewalk.

BiggLee71
07-13-09, 00:54
have you ever been on a high school wrestling team or football team? their workout's last for a few hour's after school besides some camp's in the summertime.well,the marine corps is like that but 20 times worse cause you just don't stop working out! theybliterally pound you into the ground and there's nothing you can do about it.there is no going home.there is no complaining to a guidance counselor.no nothing.basically stfu and take it.you asked for it.in other word's,if you aren't into hou after hour of super strenuous workouts that seem to last forever,day in,day out,then the corp's might not be the best option.
like i said,the marine corps isn't for people who aren't sure if they want to do military time or not. me for example,i knew i was going to be a marine from a very young age and nothing was going to stop me.i mean NOTHING.i was at the recruiter almost everyday from the time i was 14 yrs old and had my parents sign a waiver so i could go in at 17 yrs old. the "i dont know if i really want to do this" mentality isn't going to cut it in the corps.
join the air force.get a guarantee'd mos in an easy job and see if you like it and get acclimated.then,if it's for you,go for the gusto and be a combat controller.(that's another tough job).
not trying to discourage you,just letting you know before sign your life away.
as for the president,think of it this way.you'll be working for a great company with a shitty CEO.
as for your original question,"is it a good time to join the military?".it is an excellent time to join the military.we are fighting 2 war's! i wish i was 18 and single.i'd do the seal challenge or army 18x enlistment in a heartbeat! why would i do those you may wonder? it's a pipeline right into socom.

Savior 6
07-13-09, 01:58
With a girlfriend, AF is definately the best option.

Iraqgunz
07-13-09, 02:59
One small word of advice. Do not live your life and make decisions in order to make your girlfriend happy. I have seen too many guys throw away good options only to have Miss Muffin walk out down the road. Yes, being away from family is difficult. However, that's how it is.

Thanks for the encouragement. Its just that I don't know if that's what I want because if I succeed, I would most likely make a career out of it which would make family life more difficult. It would be lots of time away from them and I don't know if I could do that or if my girlfriend could handle that.

VTLO910
07-13-09, 03:37
I have served twice. My 1st tour was Active Duty, and was treated like shit. My second tour was National Guard and was treated like gold. Every unit is different, but that was my personal experience...

Good and Bad, I have friends who I will love forever... and experiences (including bad) that I would NEVER want to have missed.

I LOVE the United States! I served with pride, and will continue to do so even if not wearing a military uniform.

parishioner
07-13-09, 08:37
like i said,the marine corps isn't for people who aren't sure if they want to do military time or not.... the "i dont know if i really want to do this" mentality isn't going to cut it in the corps.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought. I meant that Im not sure which branch I want to join. I didnt mean Im not sure if I really want to join the military. Im aware of the rigorous training and I sort of look at it like the harder it is the better Ill feel when its over. A feeling of pride and accomplishment are felt after such a thing.

As for the girlfriend, I know she is going to absolutely be crushed when I tell her about this but I know in the end she will support me. If I were to tell her that I want to pursue a career in the Air Force she would not take that so well and to be honest I dont know if I would be interested in that either. I do want to start a family at some time so it not like I dont want anything to do with that and she is holding me down. Are there any career military men who can give me an idea of how you would juggle family life in the military?

Iraqgunz
07-13-09, 08:53
FWIW- I served 10 years of active duty and was married the first time that I enlisted. When I joined up later I was with living with someone, but we weren't married. I told her that it was something that I needed to do and she supported me. The key is having a good relationship and using your time wisely. It's not like you join up, get "shanghaid" and you never see her again. If you are married and depending on the duty station she can go with you. If family life is a concern check out the Air Force. From what I have seen they probably have the most normal life of all the branches.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought. I meant that Im not sure which branch I want to join. I didnt mean Im not sure if I really want to join the military. Im aware of the rigorous training and I sort of look at it like the harder it is the better Ill feel when its over. A feeling of pride and accomplishment are felt after such a thing.

As for the girlfriend, I know she is going to absolutely be crushed when I tell her about this but I know in the end she will support me. If I were to tell her that I want to pursue a career in the Air Force she would not take that so well and to be honest I dont know if I would be interested in that either. I do want to start a family at some time so it not like I dont want anything to do with that and she is holding me down. Are there any career military men who can give me an idea of how you would juggle family life in the military?

Smuckatelli
07-13-09, 10:11
I just want a 4 year contract so I will be able to get my degree start a family and resume with regular life. This is what I am leaning towards.

Do you mean get your degree, start a family during those 4 years or after you get out?

Smuckatelli
07-13-09, 10:58
Are there any career military men who can give me an idea of how you would juggle family life in the military?

I waited until I was a 33yr old SSgt, it was very difficult. 3 months after we married, I deployed. Money was always tight but when I was deployed combat pay kicked in, that helped a little.

I have seen more junior enlisted really screw up thier goals because of being married. The pay is just barely enough to keep you and your wife going. The requirements of the service will always come first except while in garrison, sometimes the married juniors don't have to stand duty but that is an exception, not a rule.

If you can lean on your parents or her parents for help, it will be easier but still not a cakewalk.

The 4 year enlistment married servicemembers are pretty much limited in options when they get out. They need to get a job to support the family, there is no time to network. Many find that they have to take the first job offered and are pretty much stuck at that level of employment.

If the both of you have a no kidding true love, marriage can wait until you get higher rank or finish your service.

Caeser25
07-13-09, 17:18
If you've always wanted to do it, do it. Don't let politics get in the away, you'll be bitching about them wether you are in uniform or not:D My cousin said 7 or 8 of his Marines from his platoon didn't reelist this year b/c of Obama.

exkc135driver
07-13-09, 22:30
One small word of advice. Do not live your life and make decisions in order to make your girlfriend happy. I have seen too many guys throw away good options only to have Miss Muffin walk out down the road. Yes, being away from family is difficult. However, that's how it is.

Jman, that is the best advice so far in this thread. If she is gonna leave she is gonna leave, and making all the decisions to make her happy will only delay the inevitable ... but in the meantime you may have screwed yourself out of some opportunities. If she does not leave that's fine, but you will still have thrown good options away. You have to make the decisions that will allow you to live your life the way you want to ... you cannot live it for someone else. You will stumble, and you will make some bad decisions, but they will be your decisions. If she doesn't understand that, then you are better off without her.

As noted, there are pros and cons to joining the military. I can only speak for myself, but I did things I would not otherwise have had the opportunity to do and went places and saw things that I probably would not have otherwise. Sometimes it sucked, but the good times and the (mostly) good people far outweighed the bad.

parishioner
07-13-09, 22:56
I just want to let you guys know that I would never let someone dictate my life. If I wanted to be a career military man and she had a problem with it she would be gone. Thats just it though. Im not sure if I want to make a career out of it. I may just want to do some time and that will be it and carry on with life. By the way I would finish my degree after I got out. I am not too concerned about money either because she too is training to be a nurse and after she has worked a year or two as a nurse she will be applying to anesthesia school to become a CRNA. The pay increase is more than double that of a nurse.

She will undoubtedly be upset when I tell her this and I fully expect her to be but I will tell her that this is what I need to do and that I need her support. I know that eventually she will.

Brother Rat
07-13-09, 23:42
Is it a bad time to be joining the mil? Maybe...
Am I still joining regardless of who is POTUS? Absolutely. I know it's what I need to be doing because it's been my dream for as long as I can remember.

You have received nothing but excellent advice in this thread from people who know all about what you're considering. Do some soul-searching, I think in your heart you know exactly what you need to do. Whatever you choose, good luck!

wargasm
07-15-09, 03:27
Wow! 5 months of yak-yak-yak! You could have been Airborne by now, but you're still chairborne! Seems like you're content on chewing the grass, rather than eating snake! Stand at ATTENTION while I'm typing at YOU! March your ass to the recruiting station, raise your right hand, and lay it on the line! Don't think, just do! When it's all said and done, and you're sporting a high n' tight, with whatever color beret you got the balls to wear, you'll be a warrior, and not a keyboard tappin' wannabe! Now git!

parishioner
07-15-09, 09:56
Wow! 5 months of yak-yak-yak! You could have been Airborne by now, but you're still chairborne! Seems like you're content on chewing the grass, rather than eating snake! Stand at ATTENTION while I'm typing at YOU! March your ass to the recruiting station, raise your right hand, and lay it on the line! Don't think, just do! When it's all said and done, and you're sporting a high n' tight, with whatever color beret you got the balls to wear, you'll be a warrior, and not a keyboard tappin' wannabe! Now git!

Tonight I'm telling my parents I'm joining. I'll let yall know how it went.

wargasm
07-15-09, 12:03
There you go! Keep us posted on your progress, and maybe post some pics, starting with your swearing in ceremony! There's tons of vets here that can help you keep your head straight and on top of your shoulders, rather than up your ass. You're well on your way to getting your man-card that has no expiration date! Now your biggest decision is what color headgear you're gonna try out for! Hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions! Now git fired up and stay fired up!

Irish
07-15-09, 12:13
Chin up, chest out! Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask any and all questions as every branch is represented on this board and you'll save yourself a few headaches and heartbreaks by getting the right answers here first.

I would highly recommend taking someone with you to the recruiters. Preferably a veteran or active-duty military person with some experience. It doesn't hurt if they're accustomed to negotiating contracts either, you do have options. Stay safe!

parishioner
07-15-09, 13:08
Now your biggest decision is what color headgear you're gonna try out for! Hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions!

I'm actually very interested in the black beret worn by the TACP of the Air Force. I have read that I can get it in my contract as well. Not guaranteed to make it but the opportunity. Im also probably not going to join right away because if I am going to do the TACP route I am going to get myself into shape. Ill be damned if I get to to school and washout because I'm not fit enough. In case you were wondering Im not overweight or anything. Im 6 foot, 181lbs and athletic so it shouldnt be too difficult to be where I need to be.

Thanks for the encouragement.

O yea, if anyone has any input on TACP please let me know or PM. I would love to hear about it.

Romad
07-15-09, 16:29
I was active TACP for a while until a medical discharge, hence the name Romad. Check out www.romad.com for more info. You don't have to be a PT stud but you do need to be in pretty good shape and have a never quit attitude. I turned 30 in the school, didn't have the best PT scores, but I ended up distinguished graduate for may class. My class had approximately 36 students through the couse, we graduated 15. Even though it's kind of a thankless field sometimes and it seems you're neither Air Force or Army, but a bastard child of both, it's one of the most rewarding jobs you could have.

http://www.romad.com/wordpress/
Check out TACP 411 at the top of the page

http://www.romad.com/photos/memorial/memorial.htm

parishioner
07-15-09, 16:41
I was active TACP for a while until a medical discharge, hence the name Romad. Check out www.romad.com for more info. You don't have to be a PT stud but you do need to be in pretty good shape and have a never quit attitude. I turned 30 in the school, didn't have the best PT scores, but I ended up distinguished graduate for may class. My class had approximately 36 students through the couse, we graduated 15. Even though it's kind of a thankless field sometimes and it seems you're neither Air Force or Army, but a bastard child of both, it's one of the most rewarding jobs you could have.

http://www.romad.com/wordpress/
Check out TACP 411 at the top of the page

http://www.romad.com/photos/memorial/memorial.htm

Wow. Thanks for your service and input. I have heard that romad.com is the ultimate source for information and I have spent some time there. Just wondering, what are some things that contribute to the attrition rate of the class. Is it injuries, academic shortcomings or lack of fitness? Im very curious.

Romad
07-15-09, 16:58
Academics is one of the reasons. I had already been in for 12 years before changing jobs and had time at my unit before going to school so I already knew some of the things I needed to know. Failing the PT test is another reason. The biggest thing that hurt my class was the mentality in the field. It was hot as hell, no sleep, always moving and carrying a heavy load. You had to put everything you'd previously learned together and perform under pressure. Some guys got lost on individual navigation or just couldn't make the time limit. Others just quit when they couldn't handle anymore physically. I was dehydrated and puking my guts, probably getting close to heat stroke but I never quit. Attitude is everything. Even when your body says it can't do anymore, it can. You just have to want it bad enough.

Here's another link to check out. I know quite a few of the guys in the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Danger-Close-Controllers-Afghanistan-University/dp/1585446246/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247694280&sr=1-1

parishioner
07-15-09, 23:36
Well, my mom was crying and after for about 2 hours and they lectured me on how the president is a facade, he is a muslim, he doesnt have america in the best interest, he fooled the american public, he isn't behind the military, one of the first things he did was cut the defense budget and congress does anything he wants them to. They said they were proud of me and respected me for wanting to join and they had a feeling I would say this eventually but they would be upset if I served under obama.

They also hated the fact that I would be leaving college with only two years left on my degree. They didn't think I would want to finish my degree when I got back. I did just get accepted to nursing school and have been preparing the past two years. They said this is a big decision and I should give it more time. They encouraged me to finish my degree and then see how I feel about joining taking into consideration what Obama has done after two years. They also encouraged me to maybe find a job in the military that would mesh with my degree if I still wanted to join.

So, as of now, I am going to think about it more.

Turnkey11
07-15-09, 23:46
Its always a good time to join the mil.:cool:

Puddle Pirate
07-15-09, 23:56
I commend you on wanting to serve.

You do not serve the person who is the President, you serve the Office. As others have stated.

I served under Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr., and Clinton. IMHO Clinton despised the military. That did not change the fact that we served to preserve and protect the people of this country.

If you have ANY reservations about what you are contemplating doing. Don't join.

parishioner
04-22-10, 05:55
Rehashing this one as I have continued to do research on different fields I could possibly go into. I've probably changed my mind 9 times over the course of the year as I wasn't sure If wanted job geared more towards medicine or combat, but now since I have only a year left on my BSN degree, it would make little sense for me not to chose a job that isn't related to medicine since I will be in that field once I got out. I will most likely apply to Anesthesia school or to a nurse practitioner program once in the civilian world again.

Also, I am 100% more confident in my decision to join than I was in the past. I was a little apprehensive with the thought of Obama being my commander-in-chief and so were my parents, but they were just doing what parents do. One day it just clicked in my head that it doesn't matter who the hell is in office, in times of prosperity or uncertainty the country still needs men to stand ready and serve to defend what we have. Period.

With that, I have mulled over the idea of navy corpsman and combat medic but was mostly leaning toward corpsman because I liked the idea of serving with Marines. I had also read about USAF Pararescue and that really got my peaked my interest. I then read about the training and their 90% attrition rate and like a pussy I convinced myself I could never be as good as them. This was probably around November. Ever since then I've been thinking how piss poor of an attitude that was and realized if I really want to be a PJ then I will be a PJ. They don't make you quit. You decide how bad you want it. I decided I'm the author of my own life and I'm going to give it a go.

In order to get into grad school to be a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist or Nurse Practitioner school, you have to have 2 years of acute or critical care experience before you can apply. PJ's deal with trauma pts quite frequently from what I've read and although the experience in the AF might not be exactly what a grad program is looking for, I feel it would definitely be a smoother transition into a critical care position at a hospital. After only 2 semesters of clinical experience, I've learned two things. Floor nurses absolutely hate their lives and the female gender is infinitely more equipped to deal with and handle the situations that take place on the floor. This is probably why I am 1 of 8 guys in a nursing class of 82. Men are just not meant to be floor nurses and that's what I would be doing for a good while if I didn't join the military. Therapeutic communication and I don't get along.

I start crossfit in May when school ends and the training begins. I have a fraternity brother who is an army veteran and is planning on going to flight school so I'm going to ask him if he wouldn't mind mentoring me when he can. My girlfriend was one of the best swimmers in the state when she was in high school so I'm going to drag her butt in the pool with me so she can teach me how to swim properly. I read PJ training is more water oriented than SEAL training if you can believe that so I'll have to grow gills in the meantime.

The only concern I have is one of my ears. I have acquired a damaged ear drum during my tenure at college from a particular incident. Ever since, it has been hyper-secretory in terms of wax and I experience immense pain when going 8ft or more underwater. The doctor told me something about it last summer asking if I knew I had a large indentation on my ear drum. I don't really know what I can do to overcome this but I'll try or see about getting it repaired.

Thats the plan.

perna
04-22-10, 06:17
Since you are young, do it, work your ass off like you never have.

The ear thing, well if it isnt something that can be fixed you might have a problem or you will have to deal with it. I took the basic SCUBA class and was sick for the first real dive and couldnt clear my ear, severe pain.

bubabootie
04-22-10, 07:55
Im 20

Are you enrolled in college? do you have any college credits?

I've been in the army for 7 years (hard to believe its been that long already). Given the fact that the economy is so crappy nationwide, i'm fairly greatful that i make the money i do, have "decent" access to health care, and get to play with guns daily.

I think if you're not in college, you should look into maybe doing an ROTC program. Depends on what you want to do with your career. I'm an officer, it pays better, but i have to deal with more BS than enlisted or even warrant officers do.

If you talk to a recruiter, they are going to push you to enlist, regardless if it's the best thing for you. I know...it happened to me.

bubabootie
04-22-10, 08:00
The only concern I have is one of my ears. I have acquired a damaged ear drum during my tenure at college from a particular incident. Ever since, it has been hyper-secretory in terms of wax and I experience immense pain when going 8ft or more underwater. The doctor told me something about it last summer asking if I knew I had a large indentation on my ear drum. I don't really know what I can do to overcome this but I'll try or see about getting it repaired.

Thats the plan.

If you want to do some sort of nursing, i highly encourage you to finishing your school and be an RN or something similar. The army is willing to sell you an extra soul if you're an RN, doctor, PA etc.

My wife is a medical service officer, but isn't a nurse or anything like that. She "manages" the doctors, their equipment, schedules etc. It's a way to work with the medical field without being in the medical field, if that sort of thing interests you. Additionally it will open you up to having experience in army medicine which will allow you to apply for more scholarships to get advanced degrees in medicine.

Smuckatelli
04-22-10, 08:37
Jman, you have been sitting on the toilet for 14 months now, eventually you have to take a dump, flush the toilet and let others use the toilet.

You are not a decisive person in regards to making the service decision, that's not a problem but you are expending too much thought on it. Don't make your decision based on what the President, your parents, your girlfriend or anyone else says.

You're covered various services, even suggested that a specific hat might be a good reason to join a specific branch. In your curret thought process, you will not be happy with the outcome of your decision....stop thinking about it, finish your degree, get married or don't get married........the service will still be there 4 years from now. Saying dont hurry the decision is good but 14 months?

Back in July 2009 you made a comment:

"I would never let someone dictate my life"

That is exactly what service is....others dictating your life. It doesn't matter if you're a service station attendant, a General, a family man, a student...someone is dictating your life.

Your problems with deciding could be that you are feeling 'dictating' pressures from your friends and family........if this is the case, the military is the last place that you want to be.

parishioner
04-22-10, 12:27
Jman, you have been sitting on the toilet for 14 months now, eventually you have to take a dump, flush the toilet and let others use the toilet.

You are not a decisive person in regards to making the service decision, that's not a problem but you are expending too much thought on it. Don't make your decision based on what the President, your parents, your girlfriend or anyone else says.

You're covered various services, even suggested that a specific hat might be a good reason to join a specific branch. In your curret thought process, you will not be happy with the outcome of your decision....stop thinking about it, finish your degree, get married or don't get married........the service will still be there 4 years from now. Saying dont hurry the decision is good but 14 months?

Back in July 2009 you made a comment:

"I would never let someone dictate my life"

That is exactly what service is....others dictating your life. It doesn't matter if you're a service station attendant, a General, a family man, a student...someone is dictating your life.

Your problems with deciding could be that you are feeling 'dictating' pressures from your friends and family........if this is the case, the military is the last place that you want to be.

I mean no disrespect when I say the following but I don't know how you could have possibly convoluted my last post so much. Your analysis is completely...well wrong.

Yes, I have been thinking about it because I want to be sure it is the right decision for me. I don't have a deadline looming over my head to join. I first posted last year in the midst of my college career. At the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to complete my final two years of college or forgo them to join the military. I think I had a right to take time and feel out whats best for me at that particular moment.

Also, when I said I wont let someone dictate my life, I meant I will not let a girl or anyone else impede or force me to serve. I also clearly stated in my last post that I no longer care who the president is and the person in the office wouldn't affect my decision. As for my parents, I told them last summer I wanted to join. They were not going to stop me from joining by any means. They only offered sincere advice since it is their job after all, as parents, to guide their child as best they can so that they can make the best decision on their own. I listened to them and decided I would finish my college career since I already had two of the four years completed. I felt this was a better decision for me rather than trying to finish my degree after the military. I'm also well aware of the fact that if I was in the military someone would be above me. Actually, its almost insulting that you would think I'm a naive kid who thinks I'm some bigshot who wouldn't have to take orders from anyone if I were to join.

As for the hat thing.....Please. Now that is insulting if you think I would join the military for the sole purpose of wearing a certain beret. :rolleyes: The hat was merely a symbol for achieving the status of that particular unit. You know, like a worthy goal.?Like aspiring Army Rangers aspire for the Ranger tab?

I clearly stated in my last post that my decision was made. I'm off the pot. And I left a nice stinker for ya. ;)

Smuckatelli
04-22-10, 12:41
I mean no disrespect when I say the following but I don't know how you could have possibly convoluted my last post so much. Your analysis is completely...well wrong.

Good for you, I' glad that my assessment was wrong. Keep in mind, my assessment covered the past 14 months that you have been deciding about joning the service.

As for the hat thing.....Please. Now that is insulting if you think I would join the military for the sole purpose of wearing a certain beret. :rolleyes:

Relax, it wasn't meant to be insulting, you typed about the cool beret, I was just pointing out that it is not a good reason to join a specific unit.

I clearly stated in my last post that my decision was made. I'm off the pot. And I left a nice stinker for ya. ;)

Good to go, when do you ship out to bootcamp?

parishioner
04-22-10, 13:48
Once I finish school. Thats the plan.

Grayling14
04-24-10, 04:10
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
This is a decision that only you can make. You need to feel that it is right FOR YOU if you are going to do it. If you decide to do it be prepared to see it through to the end and be committed 100%, because just like any endeavor in life there will be bad days as well as good days.

Ruff Shod
04-24-10, 06:41
Have a plan!

I went in with Airborne/Ranger option. I researched the 82nd, but didnt research the Rangers. I made friends in Basic. They were goin to Division. I followed. I shoulda went Rangers. I dont regret the Division experience.....but I do regret not getting all the training that was offered to me. When your life and the life of your friends are at stake....you can never have too much training!

There is a young Marine on this forum that tells of his combat experience. Read his words.

Take "Be All You Can Be!" too heart!

On a side note.....My bosses were Reagan and Bush. I would charge Hell with an empty eye dropper for them dudes, but regardless of who is boss.....Charge Hell for your Country!