PDA

View Full Version : What paint for coyote brown?

SoDak
02-13-09, 17:31
I got my cav arms coyote brown handguards and now I need to make the grip and stock match. I just figured on painting the grip and stock since I don't have the money to get FDE stock and grip right now. So what color of krylon should I be looking for to match my coyote brown handguards?

SoDak
02-18-09, 08:34
I found ultra flat khaki krylon at my local hardware store. Is that close enough? Getting it to match perfectly isn't an issue since this was going to be my beat around rifle anyway. Also can anyone give me some tips to painting rifle furniture? Like how many coats and such?

CHoffman
02-18-09, 15:06
I think the khaki will be noticeably lighter. You could just find a piece of scrap and paint it then compare. When I paint parts I usually shake the can very well. I also have a heat gun on low (hair drier would work) and pre-heat the part. Spray a light coat just to get some paint on it. You will still see some of the original color through it. Then I hit the part with the heat gun again, and shake the can some more. Then another light coat. You may still see some of the original color through the paint but not as much as the first coat. Hit it with the heat gun again and shake the can some more. Then I go heavier to try and get coverage. Heat the part again and shake the can some more. With the forth and final coat I try to get any nooks and crannies I missed and some more coverage on the main body. Heat it again and let it cure whether that be in on over or just air dry. Heating the part and using many lighter coats helps prevent any runs and the finish always looks better than just hosing it down with paint a couple of times.

SoDak
02-18-09, 17:15
The khaki will be lighter? My handguard is pretty light as it is so I thought it might be a good match. Does anyone have a pisture of a rifle painted in krylon khaki?

Mac5.56
02-18-09, 18:00
The khaki will be lighter? My handguard is pretty light as it is so I thought it might be a good match. Does anyone have a pisture of a rifle painted in krylon khaki?

Personally I have no clue why anyone on the planet would paint a precession tool with rattle can spray paint, but that's just me.

My thought is: All paint dries a different color then when it is wet. And no spray paint will accurately match the cap. The only way to really tell is to spray the paint on something of a similar color and let it dry.

Are you going to prime the pieces first?

Have you thought about taking the parts to an auto body store and seeing if they will mix up a small amount of matte paint to spray the parts for you? That is one of the only ways I can see someone without a history and training in painting matching an actual color.

SoDak
02-18-09, 18:09
I wasn't going to paint the rifle, just the grip and the stock. Neither are anything special and I can't really justify buying a new stock in FDE since then I would end up having to replace the receiver extension(I figure if I'm buying a new stock I might was well get a milspec one and that means getting rid of the commercial RE). I'm not too concerned about the looks since this gun already looks incredibly bad. I just wanted something resembling FDE so it doesn't get real hot after lieing in the sun(FDE furniture stay cooler, right?).

CHoffman
02-19-09, 01:53
Well here is Fireguy275's rifle in Krylon Khaki (first I could find):
http://photos.imageevent.com/fireguy275/lmsdefense/websize/khaki1.jpg
And here is Cav Arms handguards:
http://www.cavalryarms.com/C5.jpg
So yeah I think you were right and it will be real close. Only one way to find out though ;) .

mac37
02-19-09, 06:28
It all heats up no matter what color. Are you opposed to painting a 3 ( handguard, grip, stock) to get the perfect match? Other than a custom mix or dura-coat which has several FDE or tan colors, you'll have a slight color difference. Even among the different parts companies, MagPul, LMT etc..., their products won't match.

Iraqgunz
02-19-09, 09:40
Take a look in the painted AR picture thread. I used Krylon and Brownells Aluma-Hyde almost exclusively on my carbines. But, I don't concern myself with matching colors per se.

markm
02-19-09, 09:59
But, I don't concern myself with matching colors per se.

This is a fashion show, not combat!! :cool:

sgtlmj
02-19-09, 10:18
Rustoleum Nutmeg. You can see it between the Krylon Khaki and the Rustoleum Sage Green behind the rifle.

http://www.sgtlmj.com/clariceuso.jpg

For the poster who wonders who would rattlecan a precision instrument? Some folks have the need to camo their equipment and have the ability to change the camo with terrain and seasons. Spraypaint is the perfect tool for this job as it is easily added to and removed if necessary. Tape and wraps are problematic with getting hung up and interfering with accuracy.

SoDak
02-19-09, 10:19
Take a look in the painted AR picture thread. I used Krylon and Brownells Aluma-Hyde almost exclusively on my carbines. But, I don't concern myself with matching colors per se.

I'll have to take a peak at that thread when I have the time. Like I said, I'm not concerned about getting the color to match perfectly, just look sort of the same. The looks of this gun have already gone out the window since I'm using a surplus M16A1 rifle upper that has a camo aimpoint mounted on the carry handle along with a homemade sling. It can't look much more rediculous than it already does so I can do just about anything to it and it won't look any worse. Function over form on this one.

mvician
02-20-09, 01:49
Krylon khaki KAC panels
Coyote Duracoat on KAC freefloat

it is close but the Krylon is lighter

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/WarPig/WarPig007.jpg

M4-OPERATOR
01-07-10, 16:57
Well here is Fireguy275's rifle in Krylon Khaki (first I could find):
http://photos.imageevent.com/fireguy275/lmsdefense/websize/khaki1.jpg;) .

I almost grabbed a can of the Krylon Khaki today but the cap looked so light. The photo of Fireguy275's almost looks coyote brown. Maybe I'll go back and get it.

Celt
01-07-10, 22:43
Try Aervoe paint, specifically Field drab. Aervoe is very hard to find but better then Krylon IMHO.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=126/Product/CAMO_PAINTS

trunkmonkey
01-08-10, 09:03
duracoat the whole thing magpul flat dark earth

4thPointOfContact
01-08-10, 10:06
Personally I have no clue why anyone on the planet would paint a precession[sic] tool with rattle can spray paint, but that's just me.

My thought is: All paint dries a different color then when it is wet. And no spray paint will accurately match the cap. The only way to really tell is to spray the paint on something of a similar color and let it dry.

Are you going to prime the pieces first?

Have you thought about taking the parts to an auto body store and seeing if they will mix up a small amount of matte paint to spray the parts for you? That is one of the only ways I can see someone without a history and training in painting matching an actual color.

Why in the world would anyone Ever want to paint a tool used to measure the rotation axis of a rotating body? Precession is a serious thing, folks, don't mess with it.

On the other club foot
My "precision" AR regularly got dunked in rivers and oceans, was dragged through sand and jungles, got rained on for days at a time, and was even used as a club a time or two. A few microns of paint is now a danger to it?

"Rattle can" painting will eventually chip or wear but that won't affect functioning, only cosmetics. Come to think of it, a few chips and worn areas might actually help disguise the outline better than a shiny, pristine finish.

(Sorry, dmcmanus ... couldn't resist:cool:)