PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

CarlosDJackal
02-13-09, 17:40
I did not find anyone mentioning this anywhere on these boards. But I find it disgusting that this POS from IL (no, not the kenwaiian) is using this kid's death to push legislation that would not have prevented his death in the first place.

Contact your elected representatives and voice your absolute opposition to this drivel before someone manages to Amend it to another, more viable law (just like the Hughes Amendment that was someone included into the Firearms Protection Act of 1986).

From: H.R. 45 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-45)

Summary:

1/6/2009--Introduced.

Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.
Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.

Prohibits: (1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or (5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.

Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.

Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and (3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.

Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

A-Bear680
02-13-09, 18:29
A great reason to write to people in Congress.
The good news is that HR 45 has no co-sponsors and is DRT. The same bill (different number) took months to attract about 16 co-sponsors in 2007. Since there are about 435 members in the House , that's a truly pathetic showing.

Another chunk of good news: This is the only gun-grabber bill to be introduced so far this year. It's not much , but as bills go --it's the only target out there.

Otis
02-13-09, 18:57
I was watching Glenn Beck this evening when his guest, Rep. Itse (NH), mentioned that "Holt" had been rolled into the Porkulus Bill. Alarmed, I visually scanned through the bill as best I could (given the enormous page count) and did not spot anything, and a text search of the .pdf of the bill found no hits on "firearms" (except within the name of BATFE) or "Holt".

Hope I'm right and Rep Itse is wrong, as it would be very, VERY bad if those bastards had managed to slip that POS bill into the stimulus.

Urabus23
02-14-09, 02:21
"Kenwaiian" I like that:eek:

As for HR 45, I wasn't able to find any more information after catching the bit on Glenn Beck. Who knows what's in that mess they passed today.

sproc
02-14-09, 16:27
The NRA says the stimulus bill does NOT contain HR 45 or any other anti-gun elements.

From http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4430

Friday, February 13, 2009

We have been hearing many rumors, and receiving many inquiries, about "buried" provisions in the federal economic stimulus bill that would negatively affect our Second Amendment rights. People have claimed the bill would designate interstate highways as national parks, or impose ammunition encoding and new ammunition taxes. Fortunately, and contrary to what you may have heard, there are no provisions in this bill prohibiting firearms or ammunition anywhere, or for anyone.

The only reference in the bill to firearms is a provision authorizing funds for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' (BATFE) "Project Gunrunner," which is a program that enforces existing laws to reduce smuggling of firearms from the United States to Mexico. This program imposes no new restrictions on gun owners, and if it did, we can assure you we would take swift action.

Needless to say, NRA, as a single-issue organization, takes no position on the economic stimulus legislation as a whole.

For more information and to view the legislation yourself, you can visit http://www.readthestimulus.org/. The site features a convenient search function and covers every version of the legislation.

Heavy Metal
02-14-09, 18:36
The wonderful thing about legislation in the electronic age is you may not be able to read it all but you can take a word document ans key phrase search it in a few seconds.

I have certain laws I have to enforce that I keep a copy of the apropriate part on my laptop and I can search it in Microsoft Word.