PDA

View Full Version : Keltec blues

williejc
02-13-09, 20:39
After a week of shooting my new Keltec PF-9 with various factory fmj and jhp rds, I experienced frequent extraction and feeding problems---not magazine related. My gunsmith refit the extractor, polished the chamber and feed ramp, and smoothed up the breechface. Now it shoots reliably but has developed another problem. The slide has become so loose in its fit to the frame that it moves up and down and side to side in an alarming fashion. Too, the bottom edge of the slide is digging into the side of the aluminum frame.

Keltec will have another try with this one when they receive it next week. Any comments?

tex45acp
02-14-09, 07:23
williejc,

One thing about Kel Tec is they have one of the best customer service departments I have ever dealt with.

Right out of the box, my PF-9's point of impact was around 7" high and 7" to the left of point of aim. I tried 8 different rounds with different bullit sizes and configurations and I let 3 of my buddies shoot the gun and still had pretty much the same results. My slide was loose as well and the plastic magazine release button did not always work properly.

Two weeks to the day my dealer sent it to Kel Tec, it was back. It had a new metal magazine release button that works perfectly and a tighter slide....not 1911 tight mind you but much better. Best of all it now shot to point of aim out to 25 yards and made nice little 2" groups at 15 yards that only marginally grew at 25 yards, when I did my part. I now have over 1200 rounds through it and it has never failed to function in any way. It is my go everywhere gun usually carried in a Galco pocker holster you see here.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/PF9_PocketHolster.jpg

BuckskinJoe
02-17-09, 05:41
I had three Kel-Tecs, all of them junk. They all went back to the factory three times each. New frames, new slides, etc., etc. Fewer than 200 rounds through any of them.

When they came back from Kel-Tec the third time, I left them in their boxes and traded them for Glocks. Best move I ever made!

If Kel-Tec pistols worked, they would be great, but they just don't work, and the primary criterion for any personal protection firearm is absolute reliability. Kel-Tecs are about as far from that as any piece of garbage ever made.

One Kel-Tec owner said he tried to make a pencil holder out of his Kel-Tec, but it wouldn't feed those either!

Get rid of it (them)!!

Buckaroo
02-17-09, 06:49
I had three Kel-Tecs, all of them junk. They all went back to the factory three times each. New frames, new slides, etc., etc. Fewer than 200 rounds through any of them.

When they came back from Kel-Tec the third time, I left them in their boxes and traded them for Glocks. Best move I ever made!

If Kel-Tec pistols worked, they would be great, but they just don't work, and the primary criterion for any personal protection firearm is absolute reliability. Kel-Tecs are about as far from that as any piece of garbage ever made.

One Kel-Tec owner said he tried to make a pencil holder out of his Kel-Tec, but it wouldn't feed those either!

Get rid of it (them)!!

I have had two, one was flawless out of the box the other after 100 rounds. (I didn't clean it initially or until after 100 rounds so that may have had something to do with it) Guess I got lucky! I carry one all the time as my bug or as a ultra deep cover gun.

Buckaroo

LDM
02-17-09, 07:16
I have a P-32 and PF-9, both flawless.

Kel-Tec is plastic and rough around the edges.

A "Fluff & Buff" which is nothing more than a detailed cleaning and polishing almost has to be the first thing done to Kel-Tecs. Try a Google search or check the Kel-Tec owners forum for instructions.

In a perfect world, we'd all buy beautifully finished, individually tested, perfectly working weapons. But the fact is, a Kel-Tec is a semi-finished product.

Don't misunderstand. I think the Kel-Tec is very good for what it is and a value. But I also think every Kel-Tec should have Fluff & Buff instructions in the box it comes in.

Try the Fluff & Buff. If that does not work... send it back. Kel-Tec has excellent CS.

Stay safe.

markm
02-17-09, 07:52
What's the issue?

This is like buying an Olympic Arms AR and wondering why it's a piece of shit. :rolleyes:

williejc
02-17-09, 20:33
I called Keltec today about my PF-9 in this thread. The nice man said there is a 4-6 week turnaround. About +p ammo....he said no more than one magazine of it through the pistol during its service life and that +p+ is absolutely not to used. To me his message is to use standard pressure rounds only. I asked about slide wobble and learned that such is the nature of this beast.

If I had it to do over, I would not have purchased this pistol, but now that I have it, I plan to give the gun a chance. I may carry premium quality fmj ammo in the mag and a +p jhp in the chamber.

Mark/MO
02-17-09, 20:38
I've had a P3AT for about 3 months. Wanted a LCP but they were impossible to find, then cam the recall. After buying the KelTec I read a bunch of posts on the internet and was prepared for the worst. I did deburr the frame after buying it, lots of flash and sharp edges, but that's all I've done. No fluff and buff or polishing anything. Shoots where I point it and functioning is extremely reliable. Perhaps mine is the exception but after about 350+ rounds it is still running fine. It's definitely no Glock but I'm growing fond of it.

Littlelebowski
02-17-09, 20:54
Their CS does seem to get ample practice at what they do.

warpigM-4
02-17-09, 22:48
What's the issue?

This is like buying an Olympic Arms AR and wondering why it's a piece of shit. :rolleyes:
LOL :D My stepdad had a keltec 9mm and that one was a pos jammed every other round .he sold it and bought a glock 30 after shooting mine .

rdm
02-17-09, 23:45
I also own a P3AT, when I bought it I expected to have problems and have to send it back to Kel-tec as most others. However I have been pleasantly surprised in 600 rounds downrange, 500 WWB FMJ and 100 Gold Dots not one failure. .380 might be dismal in stopping power, but this gun is so easy to conceal.

heavilyarmed
02-18-09, 21:33
I had a Kel-tek .380 several years back. It worked for about 50 rounds. Then started having problems with extractor. Then had others, fail to feed, etc. Sent it in for new extractor, still malfunctioned. Switched to Glocks, will never go back. My bottom line is this; if there is a 10% chance of a failure on any given range trip, the gun is 100% useless. I just can't trust my life to it. Buying cheap guns is a bad idea. Ditch the KT. Get a Kahr if you need something smaller, or maybe even that new Ruger that copies the KT. Also the Glock 36 is nice and small, too.

Fail-Safe
02-19-09, 20:21
What makes you think you need to +P as a defensive round? There are several standard pressure JHPs that perform well, and are ideal for use in BUGs. My favorite is the 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon(RA9T). It does well from duty size to BUG.