PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Sig srt trigger

MAUSER202
02-13-09, 23:12
I have an older sig p239 that is well worn and want to get a new one for ccw. I was looking at the p239 sas gen II with the srt trigger. What are the benifits to this trigger?

losbronces
02-13-09, 23:29
I have an older sig p239 that is well worn and want to get a new one for ccw. I was looking at the p239 sas gen II with the srt trigger. What are the benifits to this trigger?

The only benefit is a shorter reset, which speeds up your next shot.

It is significantly shorter, if I shoot a Sig with SRT and then switch to a Sig with a standard trigger during the same shooting session I start short-stroking.

ToddG
02-13-09, 23:48
I wouldn't want a SIG unless it had the SRT in it. The difference is huge.

gunner757
02-14-09, 12:42
Agreed with both comments. I have the srt trigger in my 226 and i love it. The short reset is awesome with a very clean break and reset. Switching from my 226 to my 250 or my glock in the same range session usually takes an adjustment period to get used to the different trigger styles.

John Hearne
02-15-09, 16:05
The SRT makes rapid fire very quick. With that said, I think it's true advantage is in longer distance shooting. The conventinal Sig SA trigger has a fair bit of slack in it after the trigger is reset. I often see people "crashing" through this slack and throwing shots at distance. The SRT completely eliminates any slack after the trigger is reset.

I've also noticed that the SRT works differently in different guns. There is more overtravel in an SRT P220 than a P229. There was so much in a current production P220 that I had an overtravel stop installed on mine. When you combine, the SRT and the overtravel stop, the reset is practially nothing.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-15-09, 18:22
Is it true you can't buy the SRT kit, that you have to go thru SIG? Are there SIG smiths that will independantly do it? Sending back and forth aint cheap.

John Hearne
02-15-09, 18:36
For a while, Sig was selling the SRT parts to whoever wanted them. They are now an LE Armorer's only parts.

It really is just a matter of swapping the sear and safety lever. If you're pistol is older, the reassembly may be done in a different order but it's very easy.

(For reasons I've never understood, Sig always recommended replacing the sear and hammer at the same time. With the SRT, they are not doing this, just sending the new sear and safety lever)

MAUSER202
02-15-09, 18:57
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of a dealer who has a P239 SAS Gen II in 9mm in stock?

ToddG
02-15-09, 19:15
The SRT makes rapid fire very quick. With that said, I think it's true advantage is in longer distance shooting. The conventinal Sig SA trigger has a fair bit of slack in it after the trigger is reset. I often see people "crashing" through this slack and throwing shots at distance. The SRT completely eliminates any slack after the trigger is reset.

That's a great explanation for how the SRT works externally.

What's happening internally: Normally, when you depress the trigger on a DA/SA SIG pistol the firing pin block is pushed out of the way (allow the firing pin to slam past) and then the firing pin block falls down into its blocking position again. The reason the standard gun's reset is so long, then, is because the trigger bar needs to move forward far enough to reset and re-push the firing pin block again. The SRT uses a different safety lever which keeps the firing pin block in the out-of-the-way position through the entire slide cycle, so when the gun comes back into battery all you need to do is reset the trigger bar/sear connection ... which is much shorter.

You can feel what an SRT is like with any SIG. Clear the gun; verify it's clear; remove the slide & barrel; pull the trigger and hold it back; press down on the disconnector (the little arm sticking up from the trigger bar near the right grip panel) while keeping the trigger fully depressed; cock the hammer while keeping the trigger fully depressed; then let the trigger forward until you feel/hear the click. It's a lot shorter. Why? You reset the sear without having to deal with the firing pin block mechanism in the slide.

Some folks have suggested that the SRT is dangerous because it deactivates the firing pin block as long as the trigger is pressed. That, I submit to you, is stupid. The firing pin block is deactivated only after the gun has already been fired the first time and only as long as you keep the trigger pressed. So while I suppose one could say "what if something slams into the gun hard enough to jolt the firing pin with enough inertia in just the right direction that it sets off the primer?" I think you'd almost certainly drop the gun if by some ridiculous bad chance the gun was struck that hard. And if you drop the gun, your finger comes off the trigger and the firing pin block resets.

HK45
02-16-09, 21:00
I always thought it was odd to have that first long DA pull then the SRT. I like the SRT alot but it seems to me their should be less of a major change between 1st shot DA and SRT.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-17-09, 10:17
That is what I struggle with too. Tuning a DA/SA just moves it towards the equivalent of a crappy SA trigger with no safety.

signal4l
02-17-09, 12:13
I have installed a few of the SRT kits in P239 pistols. I like them. The difference was obvious. The kits now consist of 3 parts: safety lever, sear and modified trigger bar spring.

I am tempted to put he kits in all of my Sigs

variablebinary
02-17-09, 12:26
I have installed a few of the SRT kits in P239 pistols. I like them. The difference was obvious. The kits now consist of 3 parts: safety lever, sear and modified trigger bar spring.

I am tempted to put he kits in all of my Sigs

I've been wondering what actually makes up the SRT system. I've been thinking about getting an old stamped W.Germany 226 and installing an SRT.

ToddG
02-17-09, 15:25

Interesting, I didn't know they were using the modified trigger bar spring universally now. I never had a problem with tens of thousands of rounds using the standard one. The only place where the different spring was needed was on the P239. The first SRT'd P239's were delivered to a federal agency after SIG claimed "extensive testing" ... and almost immediately the trigger bar springs started breaking because on the smaller guns, the leg was getting pinched and snapping off. So the agency had to recall all the guns until a modified spring could be developed and installed. Oopsie.

On the P226 and P229, though, the SRT (lever & sear) never had a problem during my time using them.

signal4l
02-17-09, 19:39
Interesting, I didn't know they were using the modified trigger bar spring universally now. I never had a problem with tens of thousands of rounds using the standard one. The only place where the different spring was needed was on the P239. The first SRT'd P239's were delivered to a federal agency after SIG claimed "extensive testing" ... and almost immediately the trigger bar springs started breaking because on the smaller guns, the leg was getting pinched and snapping off. So the agency had to recall all the guns until a modified spring could be developed and installed. Oopsie.

On the P226 and P229, though, the SRT (lever & sear) never had a problem during my time using them.

I only have experience with two 239 SRT kits. Both had the modified trigger springs. I am not sure if the standard springs are used for the 220, 226, etc.

signal4l
03-13-09, 12:52
I only have experience with two 239 SRT kits. Both had the modified trigger springs. I am not sure if the standard springs are used for the 220, 226, etc.

I just spoke with our sales rep at Sig. All of the SRT kits use the standard trigger springs with the exception of the P239.

Palmguy
03-13-09, 13:18
Is it true you can't buy the SRT kit, that you have to go thru SIG? Are there SIG smiths that will independantly do it? Sending back and forth aint cheap.

I'm wondering about this myself...I'd like to get an SRT kit for my 229 without having to overnight it back and forth to Exeter.

JohnN
03-13-09, 14:07
I just spoke with our sales rep at Sig. All of the SRT kits use the standard trigger springs with the exception of the P239.

Did they give an indication whether they were selling the kits to consumers or is it an installation only proposition?

woodandsteel
03-13-09, 15:11
For those of you who have experience shooting both a glock and the Sig with the SRT, how do the two triggers compare?

My wife has an HK USPc that she carries. I carry a Glock. One day I took her HK to the range to try our qualification course with. I couldn't do it verywell. I found that because I am so use to the reset of the Glock, I was short stroking the trigger on the HK, during rapid fire.

Just curious if the reset on the Sig SRT is close to the same as on the Glock. There is something about the Sig that I just like.

My only experience with the Sig came several years ago when I had the chance to shoot a 228. What a beautiful weapon that was.

signal4l
03-13-09, 16:48
I dont know of any retailer selling the SRT parts. You need to send your gun to SIG for the install if you are not an armorer.

THe Glock and Sig SRT are 2 very different firearms. I dont know how to compare the triggers. The diffreence between a standard DA/SA Sig and one with the SRT is noticable.

woodandsteel
03-13-09, 17:17
I should probably clarify my earlier post. I was wondering about how the reset itself compares.

I know that the initial trigger pull itself will be different. But, after that first pull of the trigger, how does the actual reset of the trigger compare between the Sig SRT and the Glock.

I hope that makes sense. I have been working a lot of overtime lately. So what makes sense to me, sometimes leaves people thinking :confused:.

signal4l
03-13-09, 17:47
The SRT reset is very positive, quick and crisp. I prefer it to the Glock, but I dont shoot Glocks much at all

ToddG
03-17-09, 10:32
The SRT has a noticeably shorter reset than a Glock. I've spoken with LE instructors who believe it is dangerously short, in fact.

The prototype version had such a short reset that we first thought the hammer was falling (doubling), even in dry fire. What was actually happening was that the fraction of an inch movement the trigger achieved by bouncing against the skin of the trigger finger was enough to reset it, causing the hammer to fall almost any time the slide cycled. :eek:

woodandsteel
03-17-09, 11:39
The SRT has a noticeably shorter reset than a Glock. I've spoken with LE instructors who believe it is dangerously short, in fact.

The prototype version had such a short reset that we first thought the hammer was falling (doubling), even in dry fire. What was actually happening was that the fraction of an inch movement the trigger achieved by bouncing against the skin of the trigger finger was enough to reset it, causing the hammer to fall almost any time the slide cycled. :eek:

Thank You. That was the information that I was looking for.

When we switched from Glocks with the 8 pound triggers to the Glocks with the 5 1/2 pound triggers, I had trouble at first getting used to the lighter trigger pull and reset. I now like the lighter trigger pull.

I think I will stick to what I know and keep shooting Glocks.