PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint clone temporarily or just save for an Eotech?

DaveInGA
12-08-06, 19:27
I have just purchased a M4orgery (Stag Arms from Pete in NH) complete with a fixed front and rear BUIS. My plan is to add a dot sight such as an EOTECH 512 or 552 to it later on. I am a part time gunsmith and one of my buddys is an Eotech dealer, who's offered the dot sight to me at his cost, which is a considerable savings.

I'm in the middle of changing careers, so my cash flow isn't what it normally is, so I'd have to save up for the Eotech.

In the meantime, I saw the Aimpoint clone from 1337Tactical could be bid on and picked up for around 60-70 bucks plus shipping. I'm considering going ahead and buying one of these now to play with and then save up for the Eotech. I figure I could sell the clone once the Eotech is bought on the EE.

Which would be the best course of action if it's going to take me until summer or later to save up for the Eotech?

I should note I'm 47 and the reason I'm interested in the dot is my eyes are starting to have trouble focusing on the irons. I can shoot, but not as accurately as I once could with irons. When I competed in High Power, I was shooting in the 420-450 range consistently, so I'm reasonably good with irons.

Alpha Sierra
12-08-06, 19:48
Shoot the irons until you can swing what you really want.

I shot the BUIS on my M4gery until I could save for an EOTech. Not a problem since I've been shooting irons for several years in competition and they are second nature to me.

But then I ran into a used Aimpoint Comp C for a song, so I picked it up and forgot about the EOTech. Add a Larue M68 mount and happy happy joy joy! :cool:

nyeti
12-08-06, 22:41
Save for a real Aimpoint and a LaRue mount and call it a day.

KevinB
12-08-06, 23:13
Save for a real Aimpoint and a LaRue mount and call it a day.

+1 Great advice

baffle Stack
12-09-06, 05:15
Toys (read cheap/airsoft optics) have no place on guns. Save for an EOTech or an Aimpoint. And FYI,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Leetspeak:rolleyes:

Robb Jensen
12-09-06, 06:25
Practice with your irons while saving for the real optic. Nobody practices enough with irons.

I'm actually more accurate with irons than I am with non-magnified optics (Aimpoints and Eotechs) but I'm just slower with irons. This is why I like non flip up irons on my ARs that'll co-witness through the optic. That way if I need to take a long shot I can use the irons.

jmart
12-09-06, 09:53
I'm going to dissent a bit on this one.

First off, I'd avoid the cheapie knock offs, they will only cause you problems -- poor reliability, bad glass, won't hold zero. Just walk away.

But you can get into something like a Burris XTS-135 or a SPOT Red Dot, either with a mount, for around $175-225. They aren't the same quality as a Larue/Aimpoint combo and battery life will be around a couple hundred hours (vs thousands of hours) but they are still decent quality. Just depends how much you want to spend and how long you think it will take to save up.

Glockster35
12-09-06, 10:29
I'm going to voice my opinion here, unlike the rest of you, I feel the knock-off Aimpoint from E-Bay is a good deal. Not for anythign serious thoough.

I have one of these knock-offs, and as far as I can tell, it is worthy of being used until you get the cash to buy the real deal, Aimpoint or Eo-Tech.

If you plan to abuse it (knock it around) don't plan on it working very well, however, mine shoots just fine, keeps the zero, and overall I think it was a good purchase. It would be a good back up, if your EO-Tech fails on the range.

I do not plan to keep it on my M4 though. I initially bought it to put on a .30 carbine for my boys to shoot. They will learn the value of iron sights first though. So it may be a while until they get the chance to use the scope. Later this year, I plan on putting an AR together for them anyway, so it may reside there.

I am in the market now for a used Aimpoint, or EO-Tech. I haven't decided which to get yet.

If you want a red-dot scope, and don't mind buying somethign to get you by until you can make the purchase of an EO-Tech or Aimpoint, I say do it. Put it through it's paces, and if you don't like it, sell it to someone who has a use for it.

DaveInGA
12-09-06, 14:21
Glockster35,

Just noticed your location is my home town. Serving at Seymour Johnson AFB are you? Good place to be stationed. At one time, Goldsboro was ranked as the 5th best place in the nation to live. Good safe place to raise kids, especially out towards the Nahunta area. I certainly miss it and plan to return someday, once I'm finished with college here in Georgia.

Regards,

Dave, wishing he was back home.

SuicideHz
12-09-06, 14:41
Do NOT buy from that idiot John in Canada.

1337 tactical sells nothing but junk, well, I take that back, they do sell Magpul products. But, look at their leupy stuff for $100.

I have a friend who just can't listen to reason sometimes and bought one. It serves it's intended purpose- it looks the part and has a red dot but that's about it.

Save for an Eotech.

Glockster35
12-09-06, 16:23
Glockster35,

Just noticed your location is my home town. Serving at Seymour Johnson AFB are you? Good place to be stationed. At one time, Goldsboro was ranked as the 5th best place in the nation to live. Good safe place to raise kids, especially out towards the Nahunta area. I certainly miss it and plan to return someday, once I'm finished with college here in Georgia.

Regards,

Dave, wishing he was back home.

Goldsboro is an OK place to live, a bit too much crime for my liking, other than that, I haven't lived here long enough to really do much.

Paulinski
12-09-06, 20:21
Only the real thing. My $0.02

DaveInGA
12-09-06, 20:51
Goldsboro is an OK place to live, a bit too much crime for my liking, other than that, I haven't lived here long enough to really do much.

There's crime there? You must be living too close to the wrong side of the base. Move out towards Charles B Aycock High School towards Pikeville.

Cyclic240B
12-10-06, 02:14
Man I could have sworn that clones discussion would be taboo here? :(

KevinB
12-10-06, 04:56
Man I could have sworn that clones discussion would be taboo here? :(

Heartily discouraged.

I dont understand while someone would, if on a constrained budget, buy a interim optic. To me thats self defeating, as your paying out a percentage (from 25-50%) of the planned first line optic.

I appreciate people have expenses and other priorities in life, and I'm not suggesting selling the first born to go fund weapon purchases. What I suggesting is focusing on the goal.

Allocate X $'s every week/two weeks/month for the optic. Use the rest of your shooting budget for training - courses and ammunition.

Glockster35
12-10-06, 17:24
Well, I already have a trustworthy optic, however, I do not want to use it. I just don't like the Trijicon Reflex II, and the washout it has.

Once I sell it, I can afford the Aimpoint or EO Tech I desire, until then, I will stick with my clone!

SuicideHz
12-10-06, 17:55
Well, I already have a trustworthy optic, however, I do not want to use it. I just don't like the Trijicon Reflex II, and the washout it has.

Once I sell it, I can afford the Aimpoint or EO Tech I desire, until then, I will stick with my clone!

What is the trustworthy optic then? The reflex doesn't sound trustworthy with the washout. Try selling it and saving just a little more for an Eotech- used even.

moses
01-04-07, 10:40
As being trained by Uncle Sam and only knowing Irons. I am tryin one on for size. I have never had one on firearm I own. Lets see what the big woop is about for a "old school guy" I would have loved to try a OEM aimpoint. but to buy to try. I dont have a alotment in my disability SS check for that now So we will see whan it arrives. I wish some one had both a OEM and a Replica did a side by side shoot out test! just for fun! How much lacking is the boot leg over the OEM.. Happy New Year!!!:confused:

FJB
01-05-07, 03:17
Moses,
For aging eyes a quality red dot like an Aimpoint in a LaRue mount is literally night and day. If you are never going to mount a night vision devise behind your Aimpoint then an ML2 or ML3 is all you'll ever need. M2s and M3s are NVD compatible. A new ML2 is not that expensive and LaRue Tactical offers some good package deals, as does G&R Tactical with Aimpoint and LT mount. ML2's have seen service in excess of 20,000 to 30,000 rnds and battery life at setting 7 is 10,000 hours (8,760 hours in a year) and ML3s have a 50,000 hour battery life.

Several adages that I must leave you with to convince you not to buy a knock off are:

1) "How much is your life worth to you?" Keeping in mind of course that the battlestick upon which you mount this might be part of your layered defense plan.

2) "Buy cheap, buy twice." Pat Rogers' father's advice.

3) "Trying to save a dime you'll spend a dollar every time." My father's advice.

S/F