PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a new FN SLP for Home Defense - Now need some advice!!

Lee Lee
02-14-09, 01:07
Did a ton of research on this forum and many others over the past few weeks regarding this gun. I have searched far and wide over the internet looking for this gun and finally found one at the local gun store. Came home, read the manual cover to cover and broke her down for cleaning and re-lube.

I am now fighting information overload due to all the reading and re-reading of posts. That being said, I could use some help with a few basic questions. Please keep in mind that this gun will be used for home defense, not 3-gun comps, skeet, hunting, etc.

1) Which gas piston should I have installed? The gun comes with both light and heavy gas pistons. I picked up a few boxes of Hornady TAP 00 buck and plan to test those at the range this weekend. Not sure if this qualifies as heavy or light load? But I intend to keep her stacked with premium brand 00 buck to keep the family safe. Would prefer the 2 3/4 variety due to the increased capacity and reduced recoil. Ammo recommendations are appreciated as well.

2) Which choke should I have installed? Gun came with both modified and improved cylinder. Again, for home defense I don't intend on long range shooting and plan to target test at 20 yds with 00 buckshot.

I've owned and respected firearms all my life. Up until recently, I've only owned firearms for hunting. Now that I have a family to protect and the recent rash of burglaries/crime in our area, I've been forced to expand my firearms collection to home defense weapons that include an XD Compact 45 ACP, S&W 38 +P Ladysmith for my wife and now the FN SLP for additional home defense.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Lee

chuckles
02-14-09, 09:00
Very good choice for your HD shotgun. I love mine. I leave the light piston to avoid any possibility of FTF due to light LE loads. I usually keep the improved cylinder choke and my HD load of choice is the federal LE132(i think thats the number). 2.75", 00Buck with flite control. It is a low recoil 9 pellet load that throws a really nice tight pattern. My SLP did not show a big difference with the modified choke so try yours out and see what works best for you. FWIW, I chose to break mine in with 50 rounds of full power #4 field loads but it has never missed a beat in 275 rounds(so far). Nordic makes a nice extended bolt handle that gives a little better grip. YMMV. Enjoy!

Nevermiss
02-14-09, 21:35
I agree with chuckles.

I shoot mine in 3 gun and I use the light piston. I have used 1 oz. birdshot, 2 3/4 00 buckshot and winchester rifled slugs and have not had a single problem in 3 competitions. I let my friend shoot it last time and he couldn't believe how light the recoil is. The gun is also built like a tank and handles well. In addition to the nordic extended bolt, I also added a Nordic +1 magazine extension, but you will not need this (I hope) for a home defense shotgun.

Cameron
02-14-09, 22:38
Nordic makes a nice extended bolt handle that gives a little better grip. YMMV. Enjoy!
Do you know where I could buy one of these?

My googlefu only turned up a European site.

Forgetaboutit, found one for $28 at cactus tactical

Thanks,
Cameron