PDA

View Full Version : Low-Light Powder Performance

NinjaMedic
02-14-09, 16:16
So it truly seems that with the terminal performance of most calibers, modern projectiles, and manufacturers being fairly equal there are few bad selections on the market today. With this in mind, which loadings tend to exhibit better low light/low vis performance in regards to flash? Thanks!

DocGKR
02-16-09, 12:19
Winchester, ATK, Hornady, & Black Hills all seem to be able to provide low flash loads.

Glock17JHP
02-16-09, 13:24
Good rule of thumb is that most LE loads have low flash powder...

DrJSW
02-17-09, 08:00
In my limited experience there are significant flash differences even within the same manufacturer and caliber. I make a point of doing some low-light to very dark training at least a couple times annually on my own. My department does low-light training once annually but most departments don't do it at all, which is glaring training gap in my opinion given the fact that the majority of OIS's occur in low light conditions.

The only way you can be sure of your ammo's flash potential is to fire prospective loads in very low light conditions and determine which you prefer. It's best to have a partner (as in ONE... you dont need a bunch of people bumbling around in the dark with loaded guns!) to confirm results and to ensure safety. I've got a test on the back burner to try to shed some objective light on this subject (sorry bout the pun) but simply haven't had time to get it done.

In terms of .40 S&W loads, my experience a couple years back was that Federal HST loads had the lowest flash of the loads tested, which included Speer GDHP and Winchester Ranger Talon, but none had objectionable flash by any means.

Revolvers are a whole 'nother story. The bloom of flame from the cylinder-barrel gap is terrible with most loads. Again, I'm working on a project in that regard. Buffalo Bore has come out with a defensive line of cartridges that they advertise as low-flash, but I simply haven't had time to test them. I've got some .44 Spl and .357 Mag loads that I will be testing and will post results.

JSWMD

Glock17JHP
02-17-09, 13:20
Winchester's 'FBI load' is the first load I became aware of that had 'flash suppressants' (salts?) added to the powder. In a 4" S&W Model 64 this load is not too bright (my subjective opinion) , even though it is a +P load...

DrJSW
02-17-09, 17:19
G17HP... no question, there are some lower-flash revolver loads out there. By contrast, I've got some of Jurras's Super Vel 357 Magnum 158 gr loads that make my revolver look like a fire-breathing dragon in the dark.

My interest is to get some objective data using a light meter on various loads/guns, as well as some shooter performance tests I've thunk up.

Glock17JHP
02-18-09, 13:11
DrSW, agree... I recall shooting the famous (this was a long time ago, I didn't know any better, OK???) Federal 125 grain JHP from a 6" Collt Python at an indoor shooting range with fluorescent lighting. The flash was visible and was about 12-18 inches long, and maybe 5-6 inches in diameter... it was amazing!!!