PDA

View Full Version : MI Quad Rails?

Dave_M
02-14-09, 19:49
Anyone have any experience with these?

I love their BUIS but have zero experience with their rail systems. Rainier sells them and I'm considering them but I have heard absolutely nothing about them. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

NCPatrolAR
02-14-09, 22:44
I've got two sets. One is free float, the other isnt.

DrBaker
02-14-09, 22:49

I love their BUIS but have zero experience with their rail systems. Rainier sells them and I'm considering them but I have heard absolutely nothing about them. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I had one set.

PRO:
locked up very tight
reasonably priced
easy installation

CON:
huge diameter
a bit heavy
rough feel, like the YHM

Just my opinion, YMMV.

ALCOAR
02-14-09, 23:55
i just put the carbine length freefloat on a new 6520 and i absolutely love it. Im cant speak for the other models but when comparing MI's ff to DD and Troy, I believe the MI was 2 ounces more than one of them, and a bit shy of 2 ounces on the other.

CHoffman
02-15-09, 04:18
Well according to Rob S' chart the only rail wider is the YHM. Most rails run around 2" or slightly more while the MI is about 2-7/16". It is just as tall as most but the width can suck if you have small hands. Mine are comfortable with ladder rail covers but going any wider by adding full profile rail covers like Tango Down's would be too much for me. However they offer a good bang for the buck but honestly I would go for a narrower/lighter one like Larue or Daniel Defense next time. Now if MI would make them even a 1/4" or more narrower I think they would be much more popular. Plus less weight would probably be a by-product by slimming them down. Also I have heard they don't meet the mil-spec standards for the picatinny dimensions but everything has fit on mine including Tango Down's VFG which is reported to be quite picky about those measurements.

Also just for reference mine are their mid-length (9") free floating ones mounted on a carbine gas system. I wouldn't recommend this as I had to do a lot grinding to make them fit as the gas block and the front U-shaped bracket hit otherwise. At least with the stock front sight post ground down. I'm not sure if some of the low profile blocks would work better or not. Normally a smart person would have went with a 10" one but had a set I took off a middy I sold that was just gathering dust in my parts bin so decided to make use of it.

kornbread402
02-15-09, 06:33
Have a set of the carbine free float on an L.M.T. Mounting was no problem and they lock up very tight. Do a search if you dont get the answer you want, there are several post already on here "one I started" on the MidWest rails. The only down sides I recieved were size and weight. I have no complainants and would buy again.

GaryXD
02-15-09, 08:53
DrBaker pretty much summed it up. They are so big and heavy I stopped shooting the rifle I put them on years ago. Now if I can just win the lottery and buy the Daniel Defense Omega Rail I'll get that rifle out of the safe again.

RD62
02-15-09, 13:02
I've got big monkey mitts and haven't noticed a large difference in size, but I don't have that much range time on them either.

I like MI's stuff including their rails, they are well made, inexpensive, effective parts. That being said, I have said before and will say again, there is a reason they are less expensive. That seems to be that their designs, are a little less elegant requiring less engineering, but often resulting in more parts and higher weight than similar products offered by other companies. Their materials, finishes, and machining seem just as nice as anyone else's I have seen. Installation is also pretty straight forward and easy, and usually a properly sized allen wrench is included for parts that require them.

I like and recommend their stuff to those who need to or choose to save a few $$$. But I run mostly Daniel Defense items on my rifles.

-RD62

Treehopr
02-15-09, 20:04
I had a set of the MI20 free float rails on an upper and didn't think I'd mind the extra diameter of the rails since I was using a VFG.

However, once I removed the VFG the diameter was annoying enough that I sold the rail and replaced it with a JP/VTAC tube.

I also have Larue and DD Lite rails. I have a strong preference for the JP/VTAC and Larue rails.

YMMV

SoDak
02-17-09, 23:01
Continuing the MI rail thread(not worthy of a new topic), what are people's thoughts on the MI 17X(extended) handguard? I kind of like the idea of being able to mount stuff a little further ahead on the handguard and these rails might be the ticket.

NCPatrolAR
02-17-09, 23:11
Continuing the MI rail thread(not worthy of a new topic), what are people's thoughts on the MI 17X(extended) handguard? I kind of like the idea of being able to mount stuff a little further ahead on the handguard and these rails might be the ticket.

Its not a bad system, but I wish the rail forward of the sight tower was slightly longer. As it stands, you are unable to mount an X300 on it. I am able to place a VTAC light mount there though.

Stickman
02-18-09, 01:53

Low cost, good value, a little wide, they work well.

I've dropped a few of the FF and a couple non-FF MI rails on weapons for guys on my department. No problems with any of them that I've ever heard of, and if there were, ti would have gotten back to me whenever we were shooting quals or I ran into them on a call.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Projects/MI17/IMG_1767%20Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Projects/MI17/IMG_1765%20Stick.jpg

RD62
02-18-09, 07:23
Hey Stick,

Seeing as it's pictured in your photo above, what are you impressions of the MI Aimpoint mount? It's obviously not a QD mount, but solid?

-RD62

vaspence
02-18-09, 08:06
I've had two sets of the non free floated midlengths and they are great for the price. No issues at all with them. All of the MI gear I have had is well made, just a little more beefy than some of the other manfacturers. That said I switched to the DD Omega's and like the narrower profile.

RojasTKD
02-18-09, 14:27
I'm running with a MI Free Float rail on my 6920. It's a nice solid and well made rail at a reasonable price. I also like the way it looks compared to other more pricey alternatives.

I have rail ladders on the top and sides and a rail cover at the bottom. I like the way that works.

I would highly recommend it.

Stickman
02-18-09, 15:07
Hey Stick,

Seeing as it's pictured in your photo above, what are you impressions of the MI Aimpoint mount? It's obviously not a QD mount, but solid?

-RD62

Very solid.

lumpia
02-18-09, 17:14
I had one set.

PRO:
locked up very tight
reasonably priced
easy installation

CON:
huge diameter
a bit heavy
rough feel, like the YHM

Just my opinion, YMMV.

EXACTLY my thoughts. Saves me some typing. I had the carbine drop-ins.