PDA

View Full Version : Rail covers

kwelz
02-14-09, 20:09
Is there any benefit to standard rail covers as opposed to the ladder style?

CHoffman
02-15-09, 03:50
More coverage is all I can think of. 'Standard' covers will always be wider than ladders which can be good or bad depending on which rail you have. Also with ladders your hand is still touching some of the exposed rail (unless you use a VFG) so offer less protection from heat after prolonged firing. I prefer ladders on the wider rails such as MI or YHM and full profile ones on a rail like Larue's or Daniel Defense's. Also cost I suppose as ladders seem to cost just as much or even more when compared to the full profile ones which always seemed a bit odd to me.

DrBaker
02-15-09, 09:04
I feel like I'm getting a little more "traction" with the XTM or XT covers than I did when using the ladder rails.

I agree with CHoffman that the standard covers make a YHM or MI too big for average hands. I also fail to understand how ladders are more expensive than XTM covers.:confused:

Federale
02-15-09, 09:14
Personally, I use the ladders where I want the rails to be protected, but where I won't be putting my hands - like on the top rail. Shoot a lot and the rail will get hot and the ladders don't do much to help. Shoot with gloves on all the time and this isn't an issue.

But for me, the panels protect the rails from damage and my hands from heat. Ladders only accomplish the former.

That being said, panels come in a variety of widths and depending on the configuration of your rail, you can end up with a forend that will feel very wide to you. A combination of an Omega rail and narrow panels like SCAR panels or XTMs however are a pretty good combination that doesn't feel too wide.

EZRider
04-02-09, 07:13
I like these covers. Does anyone know who makes em?

Sam
04-02-09, 07:17
I like these covers. Does anyone know who makes em?

That would be Magpul.

mmike87
04-02-09, 07:21
Personally, I use the ladders where I want the rails to be protected, but where I won't be putting my hands - like on the top rail. Shoot a lot and the rail will get hot and the ladders don't do much to help. Shoot with gloves on all the time and this isn't an issue.

But for me, the panels protect the rails from damage and my hands from heat. Ladders only accomplish the former.

That being said, panels come in a variety of widths and depending on the configuration of your rail, you can end up with a forend that will feel very wide to you. A combination of an Omega rail and narrow panels like SCAR panels or XTMs however are a pretty good combination that doesn't feel too wide.

Everything this guy said ... :)

EZRider
04-02-09, 08:03
Sam

I guess you have to buy four,one of each color and then mix and match the colors ?

mmike87
04-02-09, 08:27
Sam

I guess you have to buy four and then mix and match the colors ?

Yes - one set of XTM panels is equal to one side of a 7" carbine rail. Each half is identical and they can be mixed in matched at will to create the "camo" effect. I have done this on three rifles and I think it looks pretty cool, and the XTM panels are very functional as well. No hair dryer required to install them ... :)

EZRider
04-02-09, 08:42
They should work on a DD Omega rail sys. right ?

mmike87
04-02-09, 09:04
They should work on a DD Omega rail sys. right ?

I'm using them on Omega's and DD Lite rails - no problems.