PDA

View Full Version : Lancer L5 Magazine test

DPB
02-14-09, 22:14
This is purely for information. I have absolutely no connection to this or any other magazine manufacturer.

About two weeks ago, the manager of a local gun shop handed me a Lancer L5 magazine that he had been sent for T&E. Along with it, he said something to the effect of “next time you’re at the range, see if you can destroy this, we’re thinking of carrying them.”

So, last weekend, I and some similarly evil minded folks took the mag to the range and ran the following tests:

1. Mag was loaded with 30 rounds and all thirty were fired with no malfunctions. Fully loaded, the magazine could be inserted in all of the test rifles without excessive force.

2. Mag was loaded and dropped on the floorplate, on asphalt, ten times. Almost every time, one or two rounds popped out of the top, so we reinserted them and continued dropping. After ten drops, the mag was inserted into a rifle and fired with no malfunctions.

3. Mag was fully loaded and dropped on the feed lips ten times on asphalt. About drop five or six, the top rounds started to go parallel to each other. After the ten drops, this situation was fixed by pressing down on the rounds until they were back into their correct staggered position. The mag was loaded into a rifle and fired, again with no malfunctions.

4. Mag was again fully loaded, and placed under the right rear tire of my truck. I backed over it then pulled forward over it (again, on the asphalt.) The mag was picked up, put in a rifle, and, again, fired 30 times with no malfunctions. Granted, I have a Tacoma, and not an F350 or an H2, but we still ran over it.

5. Having failed to make the mag malfunction, and having failed to inflict any permanent damage except for some very minor cosmetic scratches, we loaded it up again. One of my fellow shooters went to the top of the old railroad cut that makes up the backstop for the range, and is about 60-70 feet high. He threw the magazine off the hill, probably another 10-15 feet into the air. The magazine hit the range surface, which is 4-6 inches of top soil over slate.

On hitting, the floorplate shot about eight feet away from the mag. The spring and follower popped out, and were a couple of inches away from the mag body. Four of the thirty rounds came out of the mag, and we found three of them.

We gathered up the pieces, and wiped off the rounds (and replaced the one we couldn’t find.) I took the parts of the magazine, rinsed them off in a puddle, and put them back together. We reloaded the mag, put in a rifle, and (wait for it) fired thirty rounds with no problems.

The magazine still has only very minor cosmetic damage, and I’m still using it as a training mag.

In the process of doing this, we used four different rifles, two LMTs, a Colt 6920, and a Colt SBR. Ammo was all new production (black box) Federal XM193 or ’90 head stamp Royal Arsenal Radway Green SS109 (Brit surplus).

Again, I have no affiliation with the Lancer company, and I understand that performing tests on a single magazine does not necessarily predict the performance of a larger test sample size. Based on these admittedly limited tests, if these mags are available at a competitive price, I believe that they are a viable alternative to others in current production, especially in light of the current availability issues with Pmags.

Kchen986
02-15-09, 01:07
The only problem I have with L5 Magazines is that the top of the mag is very slightly flared out.

So when I insert them in to my mag pouch and try to pull them out they snag/rip the cordura.

In contrast USGI mags don't really snag.

Parabellum9x19mm
02-15-09, 06:36
the only problem i have with L5 Lancer magazines is that i don't have enough of them :(

HiggsBoson
02-15-09, 11:10
Thanks for the info, I've been wondering if anyone had done this.

Last weekend I accidentally (and not at all scientifically) tested the drop height on one of my brand new L5s. Though I was not about to test the other three, I was wondering how they would have performed. Your (much more thorough) tests indicate that it was probably just an aberration.

When dropped, my L5 was fully loaded from waist-height, about 4 feet onto stone tile. The clip on one end of the plate snapped, allowing the plate to protrude out of the bottom and start working it's way loose. I suspect I could have still used the magazine even like that, but decided against trying it.

I emailed Lancer's Tech Support with a description and pictures. Scott, at Lancer Systems, responded promptly and requested my address so he could send me a replacement bottom. Yesterday I received a replacement black bottom for my L5, along with a couple of extras in two other colors for my trouble. :cool: He also sent along a SASE so I could send him the failed floor plate for examination.

C4IGrant
02-15-09, 14:18
I have been running the Lancer mags for awhile with no issues at all. They are a good mag.

C4

SoDak
02-16-09, 19:43
I just picked one up from my local scheels(they just got them in) and I am very interested to see how it works. I have always been interested in these since they are clear since I wouldn't mind being able to glance at the mag in my rifle to see if it's loaded. The only thing that worries me a tiny bit is if the plastic will hold up long term(blame that on my experience with sucky ramlines). Does anyone know if lancer uses a plastic that won't start to crack over time? I figure they would, but I figured it wouldn't hurt asking. I wouldn't mind picking up more since I can get them for a pretty fair price.

C5CE
02-16-09, 20:15
I have been running the Lancer mags for awhile with no issues at all. They are a good mag.

C4

I have a couple that I bought from Grant. They work like a charm.

SERT103
02-16-09, 21:20
Like with anything new coming out, I like to give products a chance to see if they actually work and are reliable. With all the great reports and feedback that has come out here of late on the Lancer's, I bought 3. I will definately be buying more and I can't wait for the 20's to come out!

pm40
02-16-09, 21:34
Grant,I see your out of stock at the moment.Any idea when you will have more in?

Urabus23
02-16-09, 23:56
Bravo Company is showing that they have some Lancers in stock.

chadbag
02-17-09, 02:26
I have about 130 lancers in stock

variablebinary
02-17-09, 05:06
I have yet to hear anything negative about L5's and mine work great.

Why so many people waste their time seeking the PMAG El Dorado instead of buying L5's I dont know

Robb Jensen
02-17-09, 05:48
I have 20 that I use and they work great.
My only complaint is that they don't fit some of my mag pouches, particularly my Eagle chest rig.
I'm sure I could either heat up the plastic in the chest rig to make them fit and use a dedicated rig for the Lancer mags.

The PMAGS don't fit either unless you wrap a sock around the mag and then jam it into the chest rig and leave it in there for a few weeks.

Dave L.
02-17-09, 06:04
I love my Lancer Mags, I just with their prices were more along the lines of a windowless PMAG.

rob_s
02-17-09, 06:14
The Lancers have a lip around the spot where the magwell on the rifle ends. On their new 20 round magazines this lip is gone, and word from Lancer is that the 30's will follow suit. Somewhere I have a picture of a 20-round magazine that shows this. I'll try to post it today.

Robb Jensen
02-17-09, 06:56
The Lancers have a lip around the spot where the magwell on the rifle ends. On their new 20 round magazines this lip is gone, and word from Lancer is that the 30's will follow suit. Somewhere I have a picture of a 20-round magazine that shows this. I'll try to post it today.

Cool. I've thought of using a milling machine to mill those ridges down so that they'll fit in my Blade Tech belt mag pouch and Eagle chest rig.

mmike87
02-17-09, 08:13
I love my Lancer Mags, I just with their prices were more along the lines of a windowless PMAG.

I think it's more fair to compare the lancer to the windowed P-Mag isn't it? Regardless, Lancers seem to have been much more available than P-Mags recently, and that alone makes them a winner in my book.

I've been very happy with mine.

Steve
02-17-09, 08:30
I have been running the lancers for about a year now 20 of them to be exact and have yet to have issues with them except in one gun and it was traced back to the franken gun. they are a great magazine. and scott is great guy to deal with

5pins
02-17-09, 09:07
I will take a lancer in my hand over a P-mag on backorder any day.

markm
02-17-09, 09:40
The thought of being seen with a see through mag in my gun it too frightening for me. ;)

uspopo
02-17-09, 09:46
Love my L5 and the best part is they are in stock at just about everywhere.

variablebinary
02-17-09, 10:05

Interesting. I'd like to see that. I cant use two L5's in one pouch because of that ridge.

rob_s
02-17-09, 10:34
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_2826Medium.jpg

DPB
02-17-09, 22:34
The gentleman who gave me the mag to test said he had heard rumor of higher (>30) capacity mags, but no real details yet.

CarlosDJackal
02-18-09, 16:21
The only problem I have with L5 Magazines is that the top of the mag is very slightly flared out.

So when I insert them in to my mag pouch and try to pull them out they snag/rip the cordura.

In contrast USGI mags don't really snag.

This is also the only issue I have had with these mags. IMHO, if they were to flare those ridges in one direction, it would not be as much of an issue.

I've used them in training and in practice and I have yet to have one malfunction on me. I continue to use them in training because I like being able to count the rounds in the mag prior to a drill. It takes away the question of whether or not I loaded the proper number of rounds for a particular drill.

mac37
02-18-09, 19:33
I bought these a while back because they were the only ones in stock. I found them to be quite a bargain. I have had zero issues with them. Thanks for the test.

wolffman
02-18-09, 20:52
I have been running the lancers for about a year now 20 of them to be exact and have yet to have issues with them except in one gun and it was traced back to the franken gun. they are a great magazine. and scott is great guy to deal with

Year meaning x-rounds per mag without failure? what? Just asking. THX

wolffman
02-18-09, 21:28
Sorry, but those "plastic" spot-welds of the steel feed lips just don't give me confidence that they'll hold up in the long run. Of course I'd be happy to be proven wrong (and this comming from a confirmed Glock guy).

Of course by that time they'll be banned and going for $100+

You know the drill.

parker7777
02-22-09, 21:57
After seeing the test, I will add them to my magazine inventory. I had trouble seating them with 30rnds loaded with the bolt forward, but I download (28) so it would not be a issue.

Until this test I had not considered them, but now I am looking forward to their arrival.

SoDak
02-22-09, 22:04
After seeing the test, I will add them to my magazine inventory. I had trouble seating them with 30rnds loaded with the bolt forward, but I download (28) so it would not be a issue.

Until this test I had not considered them, but now I am looking forward to their arrival.

I had the same problem with the one I bought. I just downloaded mine to 29 and it went in fine. Not a big deal for me and after I get some other needed stuff I hope to get a few more lancers. Also after a trip to the range I did find it handy to be able to eject the mag and see how many rounds were left.

Littlelebowski
02-22-09, 22:09
I am extremely happy with these mags. Lancer, you're doing a heck of a job. Good old American competition through innovation.

AnchorArmament
02-23-09, 10:49
Here are a couple pics of the new 20 round Lancer L5 magazine. Yes, the 30 round mag will get some of the same improvements down the road.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3259570530_cd201c0f4b_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3259570526_63c8c8e63b_o.jpg

LCPL4ever beat the hell out of an L5. His test and review are on TOS. We sent him a free mag for his efforts in exchange for the tested mag. I came across the beat up mag the other day and took it out to our range to run some drills. It ran perfectly in 15 degree weather. I brought it back in the shop and put a new base pad on it and I am going to keep using it for demos. The mag body is badly scraped up and the base pad was all torn up, but the feed lips and follower still looked good and it functioned flawlessly.

Lancer mags are an excellent product.

Littlelebowski
02-23-09, 11:19
What are the improvements of the 20 round mag?

AnchorArmament
02-23-09, 11:27
Off the top of my head, the mag body does not have the rib (obvious in the photo) and I think it runs a non tilt follower. I think there may have been one more item improved. If Scott from Lancer sees this, he can clarify and elaborate.

CHoffman
02-23-09, 13:19
The only thing I have noticed with my Lancer mags is they require a bit more force to seat on a closed bolt than aluminum GI mags. Even downloaded to 28 they require just a bit more oomph than GI mags also downloaded to 28. No issues other than that, if you even call that an issue. Given, these are new and have fresh springs so my experience may change with use.

LancerSystems
02-23-09, 17:44
What are the improvements of the 20 round mag?

1st we removed the magazine stop rib, or large rib at the top. It will be easier to get out of ammo pouches. Also, by eliminating the mag well stop the L5-20 will work in the H&K 416.

2nd we reinforced the bottom to eliminate flexing and help improve bottom retention.

Both changes are recommendations we received from users, once implemented we will likely to apply the same modifications to the 30round magazine. :D

uspopo
02-23-09, 20:07
Any idea on when the 20rders will be shipping so I can have my LE dealer order some for my upcoming SPR build? Thanks,

Stan

AnchorArmament
02-23-09, 22:01
Hopefully the 20 round L5's will be shipping in the beginning of April.

geminidglocker
02-23-09, 22:41
I love my Lancers.Gonna buy more.Don't knock em' til' ya' try em'.Or just go ahead and dismiss them and don't be bothered by them.