PDA

View Full Version : Non-Steyr Scout Rifle Configuration - Who Made it?

Gutshot John
02-15-09, 14:03
I seem to remember that circa 2000-2002 there was an article in a gun magazine relevant to a short-handy bolt/scout rifle.

Essentially the identifying characteristics were:

1. The ability to use FN-FAL magazines.

2. Folding Stock, maybe AI, I think it was thumbhole but might have been a pistol grip.

3. It similarly had a 16-18" heavy fluted barrel.

Does anyone remember this rifle?

yrac
02-15-09, 15:18
Not sure, but I'd love to see it. However, and AI is a pretty weighty piece of kit for a scout, isn't it? (Don't take this as a smart a$$ post - the idea of a short, light, very handy bolt gun that uses inexpensive FAL mags is pretty interesting.)

RyanB
02-15-09, 15:30
Were I to use a scout scope I would simply have my rifle set up for stripper clips. Extremely light and inexpensive, yet very fast once you've practiced with them.

Gutshot John
02-15-09, 15:32
Not smart-assed at all.

I'm not even sure it was an AI stock. I seem to remember that it was similar in appearance where it hinged-folded at the thumbhole, but that's my only reason for saying AI.

I'm hoping I didn't just imagine it.

Would it be possible to have such a configuration custom built?

SeriousStudent
02-15-09, 17:17
Doc, what about something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmzgNVlWT6I

http://www.lesjones.com/2007/06/11/m1a-magazines-in-a-308-ruger-frontier-rifle/

It's a Ruger Frontier in .308 with an M1A mag.

You could get Macbros or someone to do the custom stock work, I bet. Maybe the folks on Sniperhide could give you a steer to a stockmaker.

It would not be cheap, but it would be a rifle I would confidently use any place on the continent, except for Alaska.

Definitely an interesting project, let us know what you find out.

Gutshot John
02-15-09, 17:38
That's pretty close, though I need either a thumbhole or pistol grip since I'm a lefty, but it's nice to know it's possible.

SeriousStudent
02-16-09, 22:23
I bet Wenig makes a thumbhole LH stock for a Ruger Frontier. You might call them.

http://www.wenig.com/

They were the people that used to build the Fajen stocks, before Midway bought them out. Their laminated blanks are supposed to be good, and not very expensive.

Ruger might actually hook you up as well.

Good luck, Doc.

Gutshot John
02-17-09, 18:11
Maybe it was Robarm who made the rifle I'm thinking of. It was definitely a company like Robarm.

Gutshot John
02-17-09, 21:24
Duh Robar, it was a modified QR-2 I believe to take a 20 round box magazine.

RyanB
02-17-09, 21:40
Are you talking about the Robar rifle with the folding MacMillan stock and 16" barrel?

Gutshot John
02-17-09, 21:55
Are you talking about the Robar rifle with the folding MacMillan stock and 16" barrel?

It sounds about right, but like I said it's been a few years. I'm also pretty sure that the stock had a thumbhole and folded.

The Robar was definitely in the article, but I'm not sure it was the exact rifle, or just a head-to-head type of thing and I'm conflating the two.

In retrospect it seems to me that it was a custom conversion.

Gutshot John
02-27-09, 14:07
If the rifle doesn't exist, can someone point me in the direction of a gunsmith who might entertain the idea of making such a rifle?