PDA

View Full Version : Tried out a new AK part today

subzero
12-09-06, 17:08
A few months ago, SWAT magazine ran an article about upgrading and modernizing the venerable SKS platform. Being an AR freak, I naturally ignored the article completely. Good thing my friend Chris pays attention, as he noticed the Williams peep rear sight mentioned in the article and got one for his SLR-105. He put it on the other day and we shot it today.

Notch and post sights and I don't get along so well, so I was eager to see how this part enhanced the shooting experience. With the small aperture screwed in, the rifle sighted a lot better than I felt it did stock. Losing the big flat blade for a ghost ring type of setup felt a lot more natural to me, and I liked the way the sights lined up. Plus, it allowed us to move the front sight over towards the center, avoiding any wierdness resulting from an apparent off-center front playing tricks with our eyes.

I guess the only question now is how well it will hold up. Fortunately, the 5.45 is proving to be quite the pussycat, so it shouldn't beat the hell out of what may be a fragile rear sight. As mentioned previously, a screw-in peep provides a small aperture, while leaving it out provides a much larger rear aperture. Both are quite usable, though I preferred the smaller aperture. The sight is supposedly adjustable for both windage and elevation, though I think it's best to loctite the hell out of itonce you get it in the ballpark, as the adjustment mechnism leaves much to be desired. No ball and detent stuff here, just loosen an Allen screw, push it over (it moves quite freely) and tighten. I could see a scenario where this mechanism could come loose easily. Loctite will help, but I don't know if it is a viable long term solution.

Has anyone else tried out the Williams rear sight on their AK? What are your thoughts? Any issues with long term durability or holding zero? Are there similar products out there with a proven track record?

I'd like to think this rear sight is a viable alternative to putting an Ultimak and Aimpoint on the gun. Down the road that may be the only real solution, but I'd like to leave my AK as an iron sight only kind of rifle.

TOrrock
12-09-06, 17:23
Marc Krebs makes one and there's also the Mojo rear sight from Blackjack.

I actually do better with the stock AK sights vs. a peep, but ymmv and you should make the rifle work for you the way you need it to.

Williams by and large is good stuff, they've been making peep sights forever.

VA_Dinger
01-02-07, 23:03
Which is better the Krebs, Blackjack Mojo, or the Williams ?