PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming to repeal CCW reciprocity for all but 8 states starting March 1.

jaydoc1
02-16-09, 00:22
UPDATE: Please see the letter received from the governor's office 11/25/2009 on the last page of this thread. Wyoming residents please contact your legislators..

Just came across this on another site. Posted by a Wyoming LEO:

State of Wyoming Dave Freudenthal, Governor
Office of the Attorney General
Division of Criminal Investigation Bruce A. Salzburg
Forrest C. Bright, Director Attorney General

MEMORANDUM

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Utah.

That's just great. Guess I won't be visiting Wyoming for awhile until this is all straightened out. I would guess most states not listed will decline reciprocity for Wyoming after this.

I already wrote the Governor.

Gov. Freudenthal,

As a resident of Colorado and a former frequent visitor/tourist to your fine state, I find it troubling that starting March 1, 2009, Wyoming will no longer honor my Colorado concealed carry permit and will, in fact, terminate reciprocity for all but the following 8 states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Utah. Utah, of course, is the only state listed which is contiguous with Wyoming.

According to your website, "The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office eagerly seeks reciprocity with other states pertaining to the concealed carry of firearms, and continues to negotiate with other states for reciprocity in this area." I fear that the upcoming denial of reciprocity for all but 8 states per the letter issued from Forrest C. Bright, Director Attorney General to all Wyoming sheriffs and all Wyoming Chiefs of Police is not in keeping with that statement. I would assume that most states will, at some point shortly after Wyoming denies them reciprocity, act in kind.

I have become very comfortable knowing I have the ability to protect my family as I, a physician and law-abiding citizen, travel with a concealed firearm. I'm afraid that my tourism dollars must now be spent elsewhere and no longer in the state of Wyoming because I will be forced to give up this protection on entering your state after March 1st.

I look forward to the time when Wyoming will once again welcome my family, my tourism dollars, and my concealed carry permit across your state lines. I would also assume this issue will be brought up in the near future by the NRA.

I also sent a copy to NRA-ILA for good measure.

variablebinary
02-16-09, 05:50
That sucks. I wont be affected because I am in Utah, but I hate to see such a change...

Buckaroo
02-16-09, 09:25
What a load of crap! I hope they change something (maybe the Atty. General) to fix this.

I cannot remember, does Wyoming require a license from your state of residence?

I have a Utah but live in Indiana. (where you can get your Lisc. when you turn 18!)

Buckaroo

jaydoc1
02-16-09, 12:28
I cannot remember, does Wyoming require a license from your state of residence?

I have a Utah but live in Indiana. (where you can get your Lisc. when you turn 18!)

Buckaroo

According to Handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/) Wyoming does not currently require a resident permit from Utah so your non-resident permit should do the job.

Looks like I need to be getting a Utah permit.

Buckaroo
02-16-09, 12:50
According to Handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/) Wyoming does not currently require a resident permit from Utah so your non-resident permit should do the job.

Looks like I need to be getting a Utah permit.

Thanks! This is why I got my Utah...

Buckaroo

MeanRider
02-16-09, 13:31
Utah keep going and going, that is the one to get.

Abiqua
02-16-09, 19:45
Funny that it's called "reciprocity" when my Oregon permit will (still) be honored in Wyoming but Oregon doesn't honor any other state.

Littlelebowski
02-16-09, 20:00
Wyoming is one of the most free states we have. If they want to set their own standards and check to see if other states meet their standards, that's perfectly reasonable.

As far as Colorado visitors, the less "greenies" the better :D

ToddG
02-16-09, 20:01
This will also affect Wisconsonians (Wisconsonites? Wisconsinuns?) with permits, since some states just say "if you take ours, we'll take yours." So any state that just got dropped from WI's list may no longer honor WI permits.

achildofthesky
02-16-09, 20:05
I'm afraidwe will see much more of this kind of stuff. Too bad.

Patty

m4fun
02-16-09, 20:09
Well that sucks - have some long lost relatives in Wyomming, due to head out there during the summer for some fun. Cant believe they wouldn't honor Virginia, accept Maryland? Is that a joke, I mean does Maryland even issue CCWs?

30 cal slut
02-16-09, 20:26
poor utah. non-resident concealed weapons program is gonna get overloaded, again.

(i got mine). :p

SeriousStudent
02-16-09, 20:29
That's too bad. I used to carry in Cheyenne on my Texas permit. :(

NickB
02-16-09, 20:29
As far as Colorado visitors, the less "greenies" the better :D

From Wyoming, are we? You're just bitter because you don't know how to drive and are far too fond of sheep for our comfort. :p

Littlelebowski
02-16-09, 20:49
Wyoming native here!

The Coloradans are just jealous because Wyoming isn't overrun with Californians, sushi bars, and Starbucks.

<screw it, better nuke NickB from orbit>
Not to mention that at least Wyoming voted Republican in the last election!
</nuke from orbit>

NickB is left stunned and reeling.

Littlelebowski
02-16-09, 20:50
This will also affect Wisconsonians (Wisconsonites? Wisconsinuns?) with permits, since some states just say "if you take ours, we'll take yours." So any state that just got dropped from WI's list may no longer honor WI permits.

Proper terminology is "Cheeseheads."

Buckaroo
02-16-09, 20:50

I don't know of any Wisconsin permit.... but yes it will affect Wy permit holders. It may take awhile though.

Buckaroo

Palmguy
02-16-09, 21:10

You mean Wyoming...not Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Illinois are the two uber-dumb states.

LOKNLOD
02-16-09, 21:18
Proper terminology is "Cheeseheads."

When I lived there I called them Wiscis (Whiskeys). Buncha damn drunks :p ;)

And no this won't affect them because they're not deemed worthy of concealed carry permits by their illustrious leaders. Too much Illin' Noise influence dragging them down.

Renegade
02-16-09, 21:46
Wyoming is one of the most free states we have. If they want to set their own standards and check to see if other states meet their standards, that's perfectly reasonable.

A lifetime ban on getting a carry permit because you were busted for a minor amount of MJ is pretty harsh, not free.

"Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction."

NickB
02-16-09, 22:42
Wyoming native here!

The Coloradans are just jealous because Wyoming isn't overrun with Californians, sushi bars, and Starbucks.

</nuke from orbit>

California girls are hot, sushi is good, and Starbucks...well, I'll give you that one. I own land in Wyoming, and my entire family is from there, so I really do understand the rivalry, but it really is like the whole Canada vs. U.S. bullshit. Canada is adamant that they're not American and that they are important, and the U.S. is like..."who? Oh yeah...America Jr., the pot smokers. Cool dudes." :cool:;):p

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-16-09, 22:53
Wyoming native here!

</nuke from orbit>

Colorado, home of MAGPUL. 'Nuff said. :D

I'm telling all my greeny friends that Wyoming is the best place for wind power, and they should move there. Have fun with that.

Wyoming voted Republican, very proud of both of you.

jmart
02-16-09, 23:00
Wyoming native here!

The clock ticks.........

CA $42B in the hole. Massive movement by many residents to lands east.........

CarlosDJackal
02-16-09, 23:01
Connecticut, Maryland, and Massachusetts??

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, over? :confused: I guess it's just another State I won't be visiting anytime soon. What is there to see in Wyoming?

NickB
02-16-09, 23:10
Colorado, home of MAGPUL. 'Nuff said. :D

I'm telling all my greeny friends that Wyoming is the best place for wind power, and they should move there. Have fun with that.

Wyoming voted Republican, very proud of both of you.

PM me your address. I'm sending you free PMAGs.

ToddG
02-16-09, 23:47
Is that a joke, I mean does Maryland even issue CCWs?

Yes.

You mean Wyoming...not Wisconsin.

Whatever. Wyoming, Wisconsin ... West is West.

Connecticut, Maryland, and Massachusetts??

Because CT, MD, and MA have requirements in their CCW process that are similar to the ones in Wyoming. It's not like the WY AG just picked them because he likes them. :cool:

Dude, you're killing me.

NickB
02-17-09, 00:16
Dude, you're killing me.

Maybe you should have been from Colorado, or at least said something derogatory about Wyoming (or Canada...bonus points there). :o:p

Bat Guano
02-17-09, 01:03
Hadn't heard that, and I am (now) from WY. Taught the CCW classes for a while. It's not quite as "free" out here as some might think, as "shall issue" only came into effect about 15 years ago. Prior to that it was whether or not you had an in with the sheriff to get a carry permit. :rolleyes:

It's sure funny that marriage, drivers' licenses, and certain Amendments are good everywhere but we have to parse the 2nd Amendment endlessly to prevent anyone from getting away with anything. :confused:

JLM
02-17-09, 03:46

It's WYOMING you dork....WYO...MING! :cool:

I sent the Governor an email. Hopefully he'll remember me. I too am worried that other States will drop our permit.

For you UT guys, what's the requirement to get a UT permit? I might just zip down there and get one.

ZDL
02-17-09, 04:08
Maybe you should have been from Colorado, or at least said something derogatory about Wyoming (or Canada...bonus points there). :o:p

Canada sucks.

Canada: America's Hat

Canada: Leading the world in being just north of the United States.

I love Colorado....

My address is in your PM box. :cool: :p

Good fun Canadians. :D

Gentoo
02-17-09, 04:21
My wife is from CO and was at CSU when Fort Collins got flooded. She slept through the whole thing because she was on a small hill, so nothing happened to her.

When she woke up the next morning and went outside to see floodwater everywhere she said "I guess Wyoming finally got indoor plumbing and they all just had to try it out at the same time...."

variablebinary
02-17-09, 05:22
Wyoming native here!

</nuke from orbit>

Leave the good people of CO alone...even if they should be mocked for hosting the city of Boulder...

Littlelebowski
02-17-09, 05:46
A lifetime ban on getting a carry permit because you were busted for a minor amount of MJ is pretty harsh, not free.

"Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction."

Tough all over in my book. I understand your sentiments though. However, I've never even tried the stuff.

Iraqgunz
02-17-09, 06:10
And I just read in a Salt Lake area newspaper that they are looking at putting a stop to non-resident permits (or at least the out of state intructors) because of some perceived notion that there have been "incidents" of instructors just rubber stamping the certification that is required. There are also some Republicans and other pro-gun groups within the state that are supporting it.

Littlelebowski
02-17-09, 06:13
The real problem with Colorado is all of the liberals and Californians.

Buckaroo
02-17-09, 06:42
The real problem with Colorado is all of the liberals and Californians.

and then they end up driving to Wy to find room to go boating!

Greenies stay home!

Wyoming folks don't need mj cause there are more watering holes per population than any other state.

My oldest was born in Torrington. We love Wyoming and since we relocated have returned to spent a lot of time and money there! Best prairie dog hunting in the world!

Buckaroo

30 cal slut
02-17-09, 08:00

PM sent. :p:D

30 cal slut
02-17-09, 08:03
Connecticut...?

Hey, at least CT is shall-issue. With schools, the state general assembly, bowhunting, and posted areas the only off-limits places. And you can get an exemption for schools if you have permission from the principal.

That's better than VA. No silly open carry in bars!

And P-mags are legal here, even LOVED!
:D

30 cal slut
02-17-09, 08:03
uh, i drink starbucks, does that make me ghey?

ToddG
02-17-09, 08:56
uh, i drink starbucks, does that make me ghey?

No, that isn't what makes you ghey.

automan
02-17-09, 09:36
This kind of stuff makes any kind of national concealed carry reciprocity hard to do. Not all fed reps will agree on everything. Compromises would have to be reached, and I'm not sure at this stage of our national life it would be possible.

mmike87
02-17-09, 10:17

it's not silly - it's for our safety! :rolleyes:

ZDL
02-17-09, 12:55
No, that isn't what makes you ghey.

LMFAO!!!!! That was great.

CarlosDJackal
02-17-09, 13:33
Because CT, MD, and MA have requirements in their CCW process that are similar to the ones in Wyoming. It's not like the WY AG just picked them because he likes them...

Which means May-Issue as supposed to Shall-Issue.? Where only those that carry huge amounts of cash (yeah, that's more important than protecting one's own family), is well connected, or has had a documented threat on their life can get the "privilege" to carry a tool that could possibly save their lives?

Like I said, I won't be visiting any of those states if I can help it (even though I can legally carry in all of them :D).

CarlosDJackal
02-17-09, 13:41
Hey, at least CT is shall-issue. With schools, the state general assembly, bowhunting, and posted areas the only off-limits places. And you can get an exemption for schools if you have permission from the principal.

And P-mags are legal here, even LOVED!
:D

Brown-noser!!

You mean the State that allows full-auto MGs but not Select-fire ones? :D

Doesn't CT have an "Assault Weapons Ban" that doesn't allow AR and AK-type rifles? :p

Littlelebowski
02-17-09, 20:45
I'm in the hospital right now and a littlw slow but where are pmags banned?

CarlosDJackal
02-18-09, 14:41

He's just trying to brown-nose the MagPul guys into sending him some free PMags.

But the 30-round PMags (or any 30-round mags made after the original AWB in 1993?) are banned in states that have maintained their own AWB even though the Federal version had since expired.

jaydoc1
02-18-09, 19:06
Just an update. I got a response from NRA-ILA:

Thanks for contacting NRA-ILA. I contacted the State Liaison about this issue and
she has assured me that NRA is doing everything within its power to stop this from
becoming a reality.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns, and as always, we
appreciate your support!

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

Sudden
02-19-09, 10:23

All mags over 10 rounds are banned in MD and some other states. It's not P-Mags only or any mag of 10 rounds.

ToddG
02-19-09, 10:40
All mags over 10 rounds are banned in MD and some other states.

That is not correct.

It is illegal to sell a magazine with a capacity greater than 20 in Maryland. So gun stores cannot stock them, for example. However, it is completely legal to possess >20rd magazines and in fact it is perfectly OK to drive across the border into VA, DE, PA, or WV to buy >20rd magazines and then bring them back home to Maryland.

CA, MA, and NY are the three states I know of that have strict magazine capacity laws.

Sudden
02-19-09, 13:59
Sorry, I guess it was explained to me incorrectly.

NickB
02-19-09, 17:55
Just an update. I got a response from NRA-ILA:

I spoke with my NRA-ILA friends today, and things are looking good. Those guys are powerful players in the world of politics, and they hold a grudge. I don't think anyone wants to piss off the NRA in a red state, so I'm confident that our boys are going to pull this one through for us.

SeriousStudent
02-19-09, 20:23
Good news. Thanks for putting a word in, Nick.

NickB
02-19-09, 23:08
Good news. Thanks for putting a word in, Nick.

I wish I could claim some responsibility for their success, but all I did was send a drunken, foul-mouthed email full of threats and offers of bribery for success. :p

Littlelebowski
02-20-09, 08:16
I wish I could claim some responsibility for their success, but all I did was send a drunken, foul-mouthed email full of threats and offers of bribery for success. :p

Will they "sleep with the fishes" if they fail?

NickB
02-20-09, 12:32
Will they "sleep with the fishes" if they fail?

No, but I was going to put their orders on permanent back order if they failed. :p

NickB
02-20-09, 12:36
Update: http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-21-09, 00:56
Nick, thanks for the swag, a magpul lower, you shouldn't have ;)

Any other states you want me to slap around? Illinois is getting pretty fresh lately.

I'm confused, is LittleLew from Wyoming and living in NoVa, or living in Wyoming?

NickB
02-21-09, 06:38
Nick, thanks for the swag, a magpul lower, you shouldn't have ;)

Any other states you want me to slap around? Illinois is getting pretty fresh lately.

I'm confused, is LittleLew from Wyoming and living in NoVa, or living in Wyoming?

Matt? You nailed it, buddy! Undo the 1986 import ban and I'll give you my personal lower! ;) While you're at it, undo the recent move in Colorado that forbids CO residents from carrying under a non-CO permit...haha. These requests aren't too much, are they? It's not like I'm asking you to repeal the NFA...yet. ;)

nemohunter
02-21-09, 07:04
Well that sucks - have some long lost relatives in Wyomming, due to head out there during the summer for some fun. Cant believe they wouldn't honor Virginia, accept Maryland? Is that a joke, I mean does Maryland even issue CCWs?

yea they probly issue just like Mass issues :mad:

Littlelebowski
02-21-09, 07:26
I'm from Wyoming, living in VA.

ecor
02-22-09, 00:52
Wyoming: Attack on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Suspended

Friday, February 20, 2009

Due to an overwhelmingly negative response from gun owners both in and outside Wyoming, an attempt made earlier this week to drastically limit Wyoming’s Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute has been suspended for the time being, once again restoring the original Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute.

This break will allow the NRA to review the current statute and develop a plan to bring a bill before the Wyoming State Legislature during the next legislative session to ensure that this never happens again to law-abiding citizens in Wyoming.

Thank you for all of your calls and support!

Copyright 2009, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

I did not see a press release from the Wyoming Attorney General's office on the DCI wedsite. Press release above is from the NRA website.

NickB
02-22-09, 04:19
I did not see a press release from the Wyoming Attorney General's office on the DCI wedsite. Press release above is from the NRA website.

Did you read the link I posted? NRA-ILA did a phenomenal job here: http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

ecor
02-22-09, 04:34
NickB,

I did see the post on the front page of the WY DCI website. Some how it didnt register as being a change from my last visit. Maybe I am color blind and the red quote caused the failure. :eek:

Thanks

jaydoc1
02-22-09, 09:35
I'm glad of the press release from NRA because, frankly, the WY DCI website just says what the original letter said: They're reviewing their reciprocity to see which states have similar laws to determine who gets reciprocity. Without the response from gun-owners and the NRA, I'm sure the next change to the website would have been posting the new, very limited, list of reciprocity.

ecor
02-22-09, 23:31
The local paper Cheyenne Tribune Eagle ran a story today echoing what has been said by the Wyoming DCI. I get the feeling that they are testing the waters and went head first before really looking.
http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2009/02/22/featured_story/01top_02-22-09.txt

jaydoc1
03-03-09, 15:31
I just received the following e-mail from Christopher Crofts from the governor's office in Wyoming. It is two pages in length but from the first paragraph it is obvious the governor's office was overwhelmed with responses on the change in reciprocity laws.

Thanks to everyone who fired off an e-mail, phone call, or snail mail. It obviously got their attention. From this memo it looks like they're trying to figure if they can crawdad their way out of this by accepting states whose CCW requirements may be more stringent in some areas to "balance out" their softness on misdemeanor substance use in other areas.

MEMORANDUM
TO: All the persons who have communicated recently with the Governor’s office concerning the issue of reciprocity of Wyoming’s Concealed Weapons Permits with respect to other states

Introduction:
Thank you all for your interest and input on this important subject. Due to the large numbers of comments/inquiries we received, it is not possible to give each of you an individual response. So I will try to generally describe and explain the situation here, and if you have further questions or comments you may direct them to me at the email address to which this will be attached.
First I would like to say that our Governor, Attorney General, Legislature, and most citizens of Wyoming are very supportive generally of all 2nd Amendment rights. But all of us in the Executive Branch of government are obliged to follow the law passed by our Legislature, regardless of our personal preferences. Here is a description of what happened, what the problem was, and remains, with an explanation of our plan going forward with this issue:

Background of the Issue:
Current Wyoming Statues (§ 6-8-104) provides that persons from other states are immune from our law generally criminalizing the concealed carry of weapons if “the person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits, is a valid statewide permit, and the state has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general, including a proper background check of the permit holder.”
The difficulty that has arisen recently has to do with scope and meaning of the phrase “laws similar to” quoted above, and more specifically with how the various states handle the issue of prior misdemeanor convictions for controlled substance offenses or other controlled substance involvement.
Wyoming Statutes, in a further provision of the same section quoted above, provides that a Wyoming permit may only be given to someone “who has not been committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance or convicted of a violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971 [citing sections of entire act] or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances.” (Elsewhere in the law are other references to disqualification based on the person being an “unlawful user” of or having participated in “incidents involving” controlled substances.)
Wyoming’s Controlled Substances Act is a comprehensive act, and it includes misdemeanor provisions concerning the possession of small amounts and/or the use of controlled substances. (It contains felony provisions too, of course, but they are not relevant to this discussion because a felony conviction will generally bar any possession of a firearm, concealed or not.)
Several years ago Wyoming was reviewing the application of another state for reciprocity with Wyoming, and it was noticed that the state’s laws governing issuance of its concealment permits did not bar applicants in that state based on prior misdemeanor drug convictions. At that time it was determined not to grant reciprocity to that state because its laws were not deemed to be “similar” to Wyoming’s and for the seemingly obvious reason that it seemed inconsistent and unfair to recognize a permit holder (who might have a drug conviction) from another State, when the same person could not qualify for a permit in Wyoming. At that time it was determined to survey the laws of the other 49 states to see if similar inconsistencies existed.
That survey was completed on January 23, 2009. The results showed that eight other states have laws similar to Wyoming’s, barring applicants with prior misdemeanor drug convictions. Twelve states bar applicants for some period of time, ranging from three to ten years after the conviction. Eight states disqualify for controlled substance “use” under varying circumstances. Four states disqualify applicants who are “addicted” to controlled substances, and eighteen do not appear to have any disqualifier for misdemeanor drug convictions, or usage or addiction.
Based on the results of this survey, and the determination that had been made in 2007 when the survey was commenced, the Division of Criminal Investigation announced the change in Wyoming’s reciprocity policy that led to your concerns.

Current Status:
Recognizing that this change potentially had far-reaching consequences, possibly causing other states to withdraw recognition of Wyoming’s permits, and because the survey and comparison for “similarity” had been too narrow in scope by only considering the controlled substance issue, the Governor and Attorney General decided to rescind that change and leave things in the “status quo” that has existed for several years while we study this further.
The Attorney General plans to survey the other states again, and look not just at the controlled substance issue, but at the entire list of requirements for the issuance of a permit. He will then try to develop some understanding of what our Legislature might have intended by the word “similar” when they passed our statute several years ago, and do a more comprehensive comparison of the laws for “similarity” – looking further than the single issue of drugs. Obviously there will be differences from one state to the next, and that term (similar) will require some degree of judgment to be exercised by the Attorney General under the current statute. His survey may show that some states have more stringent requirements than Wyoming’s in some area other than drugs, and through some balancing or weighting of all of the criteria, he may decide that they are “similar” enough to satisfy the Legislature’s intent. He plans to complete that new survey, and arrive at some conclusion on that issue, prior to the time our Legislature meets next year. If it is his “determination” that some narrowing of our grants of reciprocity must occur under the current law, he will make that determination prior to the legislative session, so that they may change our statute if they wish.
At this time I cannot predict the outcome of either the Attorney General’s review, or what, if anything, our Legislature might do with this issue.

JLM
03-03-09, 15:39
I got one of those too :D

jaydoc1
11-25-09, 16:22
Dear Jim,

In the past year you have contacted us to express concern about this subject. *We explained that because of some restrictive language in the Statue that authorizes the Attorney General (Division of Criminal Investigation) to issue Concealed Firearms Permits there was a serious question as to whether Wyoming could continue to grant reciprocity and recognize permits from many other states. *And of course, that would also adversely affect recognition in those States of Wyoming Permits.

Senator Cale Case of Lander has informed us that he plans to introduce legislation in the upcoming session of the Legislature that will amend the statute to fix this problem, making it clear that Wyoming can recognize permits from more states, and so that they can recognize ours.

Assuming that you remain concerned about this issue, we encourage you to contact your local legislators and ask them to support Senator Case's bill. * This is extremely important this year because this is a Budget Session of our Legislature, and it will require a 2/3 vote to introduce a non-budget bill. * The session convenes on February 8, 2010, and new bills will need to be voted for introduction within very few days after that, so it might be a good idea to contact your Legislators about this before they come to Cheyenne for the Session.

Thank you.

C.A. "Kip" Crofts
Counsel to the Governor

Contact your legislators!