PDA

View Full Version : anyone try the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle

lmt-cazy
02-16-09, 08:58
i want to get the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle for my wife, she is about 90lbs, she doesn't like my LMT, because she can only hold it for about 5 sec., hoping she'll like bushmaster super light weight (4.5lbs). she said i can't get another rifle untill she get one.
anyone try the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle? know anyone have it instock? or anyone can think of a better rifle, have to be super light weight.

AirmanAtwood
02-16-09, 09:25
the carbon 15 rifles are NOT something you want to spend your money on. If you do a search on carbon 15 on here you'll find a thread that discussed the issues with them.

LOKNLOD
02-16-09, 09:25
I would avoid any of the "carbon" rifles. And by avoid, I mean run screaming from like it's trying to rape me with a burning sword.

Cagemonkey
02-16-09, 09:26
Try an MSAR STG 5.56 (Steyr AUG). Well balanced and low recoil. I had a Carbon 15 and found it was too light which tends to increase perceived recoil.

AirmanAtwood
02-16-09, 09:26
I would avoid any of the "carbon" rifles. And by avoid, I mean run screaming from like it's trying to rape me with a burning sword.

I definitley agree ::D

tenbrook
02-16-09, 09:34
They suck!

markm
02-16-09, 09:51
JUNK. Just light the Cash on fire.

Iraqgunz
02-16-09, 10:00
Not trying to be facetious but she should either stick with a handgun or do a little upper body training. You aren't going to find many carbines/ rifles out on the market that are worth a crap that are feather light.

C4IGrant
02-16-09, 10:15
JUNK. Just light the Cash on fire.

LOL, this is funny.

C4

lmt-cazy
02-16-09, 10:33
ok, no to carbon. have anyone built a SBR M4 that is light weight, how light can we go?

scottryan
02-16-09, 13:19
i want to get the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle for my wife, she is about 90lbs, she doesn't like my LMT, because she can only hold it for about 5 sec., hoping she'll like bushmaster super light weight (4.5lbs). she said i can't get another rifle untill she get one.
anyone try the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle? know anyone have it instock? or anyone can think of a better rifle, have to be super light weight.

The AR-15 is already the lightest assault rifle in existence.

The Carbon 15s are total junk.

Build here a carbine with a lightweight barrel or tell her to start lifting weights.

S&Wfan
02-16-09, 19:38
Sorry,

She's NOT gonna be strong enough either to rack the slide on an AR-15 or any kind of semi-auto handgun either so, until she can hit the gym, I'd recommend a revolver for her . . . probably an aluminum-framed S&W "Airweight" with the rarer 3" barrel version.

At a mere 16 oz., it is easy to train on, simple to check if it is loaded or not, and easy to reload too. Yeah . . . if she needs it, its gonna kick . . . but the 3" barreled version doesn't kick too bad . . . and it has a long enough barrel to encourage her as she becomes more accurate with it.

Let's face it, most women aren't into AR-15s or any kind of rifles anyway . . . and will depend on cell phones and YOU for their protection.

T.

dorchester
02-18-09, 16:22
M-1 Carbine. Check DocGKR's sticky on the subject.

CarlosDJackal
02-18-09, 16:36
If your wife wants an AR type platform, get her one of them Colts with the pencil-thin barrels and don't attach anything to it except an Aimpoint Micro (of any flavor), a lightweight BUIS (such as a Larue BUIS or similar - which you can add later on if necessary), and maybe a stubby VFG (Larue FUG or TD shorty) but only if she needs one. If she also needs a light, use a Surefire G2 LED in a Viking Light mount.

That should give you a very lightweight fighting AR without the potential problems the Bushy Carbon-15s seem to include (at no cost too!! :D).

Another option I have seen are the CAV Arms one-piece Carbon-fiber lowers. But I could not personally attest of their reliability or durability. But combined with an upper with a pencil-thin barrel will maintain a very light rifle.

Good luck!!

CarlosDJackal
02-18-09, 16:45
Sorry,

She's NOT gonna be strong enough either to rack the slide on an AR-15 or any kind of semi-auto handgun either so, until she can hit the gym, I'd recommend a revolver for her . . . probably an aluminum-framed S&W "Airweight" with the rarer 3" barrel version...

I vehemently disagree with this. Why people insist on giving petite women snub-nosed revolvers as their first handgun is beyond me. :rolleyes: I have seen way too many petite new shooters/snubby revolver combination go through the many Basic Pistol classes I have taught to tell you that this almost always ends in disaster. The only thing these women end up developing is a very pronounce flinch (usually low) and a deep hatred for shooting.

I have found that once they are taught the proper technique to manipulate a slide, a polymer-framed 9mm, such as the Glock 19 (just as an example), works out much better for the shooter's enjoyment and effectiveness.

Don't get anything "cuter" like the Ruger PF-9, Kel-Tec P-32 or P-3AT or Ruger's version though. Take her to a range that rents handguns or ask some of your friends to let her try different ones. Even better, find a competent Basic Handgun Instructor who would be willing to teach her the fundamentals and to let her try various handguns.

But that's just my 2 cents worth!!

Iraq Ninja
02-18-09, 22:15
Bushmaster will soon be releasing their Origami AR, made out of paper. So, after the rifle takes a shit, it wipes its own ass.

The Cav arms lower is another story. They do work well. Yeager and his boys use them for their course loaner guns, and have thousands of rounds thru em. I have one and I am very happy with it. Only problem is that the take down pins can be a pain to push out quickly, and can become lost..

lmt-cazy
02-18-09, 23:58
I vehemently disagree with this. Why people insist on giving petite women snub-nosed revolvers as their first handgun is beyond me. :rolleyes: I have seen way too many petite new shooters/snubby revolver combination go through the many Basic Pistol classes I have taught to tell you that this almost always ends in disaster. The only thing these women end up developing is a very pronounce flinch (usually low) and a deep hatred for shooting.

I have found that once they are taught the proper technique to manipulate a slide, a polymer-framed 9mm, such as the Glock 19 (just as an example), works out much better for the shooter's enjoyment and effectiveness.

Don't get anything "cuter" like the Ruger PF-9, Kel-Tec P-32 or P-3AT or Ruger's version though. Take her to a range that rents handguns or ask some of your friends to let her try different ones. Even better, find a competent Basic Handgun Instructor who would be willing to teach her the fundamentals and to let her try various handguns.

i agree with you, every time we are at the gun store, they always try to sell her a revolver, my wife have her own handgun SIG P250 9mm (only one that fit her hand size, and is light trigger), Glock's grip just too big for her.
she toke few handgun classes, and enjoy shooting, now i just want to give her something more power than a handgun.

restfortheweary
02-19-09, 00:56
I disagree with the blind hatred for the carbon 15. First off it is a BushMaster, which is not my first choice for a quality AR. I think we all agree that they are not hard use guns, especially when made of polymer. But they are great range toys, which sounds like what you want for your wife.
I have owned both the R97F and currently have a SBR 9mm Carbon 15. Which weighs nothing with an H-1 on top. When it's time for work I reach for my N4, but for play time at the range the Carbon's are reliable and fun. Just my minority opinion, for what's it worth.

welchtactical
02-19-09, 02:04
I had several of them come back to me at the gunstore I worked at for 6-8 months with cracks through the rear of the lower near where the buffer tube screws into the lower. I'd avoid it! Look at Cav Arms lowers. They hold up and are all "plastic". I'd say go with a light-weight pencil barrel, plastic handguards and light weight flip-up rear sight instead of a carry-handle, or chop your CH down.

Disciple
02-19-09, 08:43
Thinking out loud. If the LMT isn't loaded down, and it's still too heavy, maybe a 10/22 is the place to start.
A pencil barrel upper on a Cavalry Arms lower must be light, but I haven't handled one myself.
I don't recall how much the restricted P-90 weighs, but it probably feels lighter than it is.

ryanm
02-19-09, 08:51
MSAR would be another good option

ST911
02-19-09, 11:55
i want to get the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle for my wife, she is about 90lbs, she doesn't like my LMT, because she can only hold it for about 5 sec., hoping she'll like bushmaster super light weight (4.5lbs). she said i can't get another rifle untill she get one. nyone try the Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle? know anyone have it instock? or anyone can think of a better rifle, have to be super light weight.

There's another thread from a year or so ago about lightest weight rifles.

Pass on the carbon 15. They've had trouble giving them away. Literally.

Plenty of IBOs and ladies like the Colt Gov Carbine (AR6520) and run it well. It's the lightest weight and lowest quality I'd get for any important task.

A 6520 swapped for an railed upper, with T1, is a great lightweight fighting gun.

decodeddiesel
02-20-09, 10:36
M-1 Carbine. Check DocGKR's sticky on the subject.

+1 good point

RojasTKD
02-20-09, 20:28

I agree light weight snub-nosed revolvers are s terrible idea. My friend got one for his wife and even I hated shooting it. It is just brutal!

The lightest carbine type I could think of, that she might be able to shoot, is a Kel-Tec SUB 2000. OK, so it not an AR but she should be able to handle it.