PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here using Outlook Express?

Razorhunter
02-16-09, 20:33
I have been unable to SEND emails for almost a week now. I can receive, but cannot send emails.
Server issue I guess? In 10 years using, I've never had this problem. Very annoying.
Anyone else having this problem, or is this most likely an issue that only others in my local geographical area could possibly be having as well?

M4arc
02-16-09, 20:39
Are you getting an error?

Kaos
02-16-09, 20:43
I have been unable to SEND emails for almost a week now. I can receive, but cannot send emails.
Server issue I guess? In 10 years using, I've never had this problem. Very annoying.
Anyone else having this problem, or is this most likely an issue that only others in my local geographical area could possibly be having as well?

Outlook talks only to your pop/imap etc server and your SMTP server....so the issue if server side would only be related to other users with the same mail servers.

Have you tried calling your provider (whoever's running your mail servers) and asking if their SMTP server is down?

Some "security" software (mcafee corporate is known for this) will block port 25 because they assume internal mail will be routed via some other port to exchange or notes etc servers.

Or it could be an issue with your firewall or router etc.

Do you know how to find your mail server addresses in OE's settings?

Razorhunter
02-16-09, 20:47
Yes, here is the error I'm getting, after EVERY attempt at emailing someone:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Paul', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

You guys are talking a language I don't understand very much of. I'm a PC novice. I do know that I have not changed a THING with my connections, settings, firewall, router, email etc, etc.
Haven't even turned this PC off in months.
Been working fine for years until last week.

MarshallDodge
02-16-09, 20:49
Some "security" software (mcafee corporate is known for this) will block port 25 because they assume internal mail will be routed via some other port to exchange or notes etc servers.

Kaos could be on to something. Did you get an email from your ISP letting you know that they have changed the outgoing mail port?

Comcast did this to me when I got a virus last year. I guess viruses use a specific port to broadcast emails.

11Bravo
02-16-09, 20:56
snip...Haven't even turned this PC off in months...snip
Then the very first thing I would do would be a reboot.
Actually, I'd shut down completely, let it sit a minute or two and restart.
Shouldn't be different than just rebooting, but sometimes...
Will rebooting help?
Maybe not but sometimes PCs like a nap too.

babaracus
02-16-09, 22:11
You can try configuring your Outlook to port 587 using one of the links below. Comcast may be blocking all outgoing requests to port 25 as stated earlier.

http://www.comcastsupport.com/alternateport

OR

http://help.comcast.net/content/faqtree/internet/6f4541ab-5423-47fb-a700-10806518e4d7 ***follow link regarding Outlook Express and port 587

RudyN
02-16-09, 23:01
I have the same problem with Outlook Express every so often and I have Comcast. What I do is close the e-mail program and then re-open it. It normally starts working fine right away.

Razorhunter
02-17-09, 01:20
I have the same problem with Outlook Express every so often and I have Comcast. What I do is close the e-mail program and then re-open it. It normally starts working fine right away.

Ok guys, I should have noted that I have attempted to reboot, numerous times with no luck.
Does rebooting qualify as "closing the email program, and re-opening it"???

IF NOT, then exactly HOW do I do so? I have tried right-clicking the Outlook Express icon on the desktop, and there is no option for "CLOSE" .
This may sound ignorant, but how the heck do I "close the email program and then re-open"????

Voodoochild
02-17-09, 02:29
Rebooting does not mean closing out the program it entails you do the following

1. Click Start->Shut Down->Restart

Then set it and forget it!!!

chadbag
02-17-09, 02:38
If you are using Comcast's SMTP (outgoing mail) server then the port is probably not the issue. If you are using someone else's mail server but your connection is through Comcast then your issue is probably a port one. In my area Comcast blocks outgoing through port 25, which is the standard mail server port for sending mail, so while on Comcast you cannot send mail using a non Comcast server without using a different port.

Chad

Razorhunter
02-17-09, 06:42
Ok,
The way I reboot my computer is to click start, and then I either shut down and turn my computer back on, or I use the "restart" function.
Been doing that for years.

Anyhow, I have been using Comcast and Outlook Express for YEARS with no issues. I doubt anything has changed with them, but I will try to call them and see.
I seriously doubt that is the issue, but I could be wrong though.

Razorhunter
02-17-09, 17:20
You can try configuring your Outlook to port 587 using one of the links below. Comcast may be blocking all outgoing requests to port 25 as stated earlier.

http://www.comcastsupport.com/alternateport

OR

http://help.comcast.net/content/faqtree/internet/6f4541ab-5423-47fb-a700-10806518e4d7 ***follow link regarding Outlook Express and port 587

Ok babaracus,
I fixed it bro! At least for now it is fixed, and I have successfully sent out about 3-4 emails!
That FIRST link you posted above is the one that did it! That link was SUPER easy, being that it was a Comcast "one click" fix link! I'm so glad to have my email capabilities back!
NOW, I just cannot figure out WHY in the world, after YEARS of emailing with things setup exactly the same (on my end), WHY would things have changed?
WHY would this change be necessary? I have no idea? I just hate when odd things change on my PC, and I do not know WHY the change occured???

Thanks SO MUCH for your help though guys. I sure appreciate it!

babaracus
02-17-09, 18:50
Glad to hear it. I believe the port blocking is Comcast's shotgun approach at combating spam, but they didn't bother to tell you.