PDA

View Full Version : Dissapator build/conversion

AR15AK47USER
02-17-09, 05:03
Decided I want to change out the barrel on my S&W 15T to a dissapator type, I hate the folding front sight. Would like to keep the chromed bore and chamber so I am thinking of Model 1 barrel or a Bushmaster Barrel. Both are chromed lined 1:9 twist and 5.56 NATO chambered. Also thinking about YHM smooth four rail handguards, they are just round and smooth on sides and bottom until you get to the front when they have a 1913 rail. The rail is also on the top all the way down. I will be using the S&W BCG for this. May have the S&W rail system up for sale along with the barrel in the future. Any thoughts/suggestions?

skyugo
02-17-09, 11:57
you could just get a fixed sight for your SW.

you've got a good rifle.. i doubt going to a dissipator setup with a second tier barrel is going to improve reliability or anything else...

just sayin...

markm
02-17-09, 12:03
The ideal dissipator (in my opinion) isn't being made.

I think it should be a mid length gas system under the rifle handgards.... rather than a carbine gas system or a lopped off barrel with a big ass ported rifle gas system.

SoDak
02-17-09, 12:36
The ideal dissipator (in my opinion) isn't being made.

I think it should be a mid length gas system under the rifle handgards.... rather than a carbine gas system or a lopped off barrel with a big ass ported rifle gas system.

You mean like the adco cruiser?
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=1862

markm
02-17-09, 12:40
It'd be perfect if it were a chrome lined barrel. Shoot! If supply ever catches up, I'd probably get one even with the SS barrel.

CRAP! They do have the Barrels only. $425 bucks though. Very tempting!

AR15AK47USER
02-17-09, 13:43
Thanks for the advice. I may just get the front sight tower for it and add the YHM rifle length rails. I really am not a big fan of accessory rails all up and down the handguard, the should just stick them up front where you are likely to add stuff.

BTW, anyone know anything about the Defensive Edge/CY6 SLR15 commander rifles? The Grail is also more or less what I want to do. Wish I knew where to get the grail handguards, maybe the muzzle brake too. Wonder what sort of barrels they use.

texasfrog
04-11-09, 18:20
go to www.primounts.com
they have a mil/leo discount as well

Bimmer
04-11-09, 18:36
You mean like the adco cruiser?
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=1862

And it would be nice if they made the same thing with a lightweight/pencil barrel...

Bimmer

FVC3
04-12-09, 09:07
you could just get a fixed sight for your SW.

you've got a good rifle.. i doubt going to a dissipator setup with a second tier barrel is going to improve reliability or anything else...

just sayin...

Speaking strictly of barrels - the BM is likely to be a better barrel than the S&W - 4150 Vs. 4140.

Say what you will about BM, their bbls are quite good as long as the chamber is up to spec.

markm
04-12-09, 10:00
I ended up building one of the ADCOs. I'm liking it.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson056.jpg?t=1239547748

Under the hood..
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson057.jpg?t=1239547887

peabody
10-02-09, 13:43
I ended up building one of the ADCOs. I'm liking it.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson056.jpg?t=1239547748

Under the hood..
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson057.jpg?t=1239547887

markm.......all i can say ? is your my hero!:D, i've been trying to put together a dissipator style carbine myselfe, for a long time, ordered the cmmg mid-length gas system, barrel 16'' mid-contour, took forever getting the money saved, but the barrel is headed my way !
i just hope the mid-contour will not be to heavy, muzzel wise. ? dunno ?
and i have the A1 stock on its way too.
just love the looks of your rifle/carbine.
great pictures. , i know this is a old thread, and its my first post, but been looking everywhere for someone who's built something like i want,
yes, i think the dissy is the best of both, do it all,

peabody

markm
10-02-09, 13:57
I actually only got around to shooting this for the second time a few weeks back. I'm still under 200 rounds on this build.

So many guns and so little ammo. :p

peabody
10-02-09, 14:05
I actually only got around to shooting this for the second time a few weeks back. I'm still under 200 rounds on this build.

So many guns and so little ammo. :p

markm, i sent you a pm...

was wondering ? what the weight of my barrel from CNNG will be ? compared to your adco barrel mine is the mid-contour, just hopes its not alot more weight than my m4 carbine barrel
im looking to keep it fairly light weight, cmmg doesent have the spec, of the barrels weight on the web page.
anyhoo, thanks.

peabody

AR15AK47USER
10-02-09, 14:07
Sold off the S&W15T as I was not overly impressed with it over all. Built out a flattop Dissapator using BCM T-marked upper and Bushmaster barrel, BCM MPI bolt group, a CY6/Defensive Edge lower and milspec extension a MagPul MOE stock. Using fixed Rock River rear sight and a Trijicon Reflex with 12 MOA triangle. Most of the parts used I got off of Bravo Company. Much happier now. Get solid rapid hits on man sized steel at 200 yard doing low ready to standing offhand shot drill. Had enough money left over to build out a 24" free floated precision rifle to using a bush master barrel and similar parts. :D

Sorry have no pictures. :(

peabody
10-02-09, 14:14
Sold off the S&W15T as I was not overly impressed with it over all. Built out a flattop Dissapator using BCM T-marked upper and Bushmaster barrel, BCM MPI bolt group, a CY6/Defensive Edge lower and milspec extension a MagPul MOE stock. Using fixed Rock River rear sight and a Trijicon Reflex with 12 MOA triangle. Most of the parts used I got off of Bravo Company. Much happier now. Get solid rapid hits on man sized steel at 200 yard doing low ready to standing offhand shot drill. Had enough money left over to build out a 24" free floated precision rifle to using a bush master barrel and similar parts. :D

Sorry have no pictures. :(

must be a great rifle, sounds awsome, !

yes a picture would've been great ! :) really looking forward to all my parts getting here,

peabody

Blob
10-02-09, 16:23
CMMG makes both a carbine and mid length dissipator barrel.

Towards the middle: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=103&

UVvis
10-02-09, 17:54
MarkM,

Uh... Is that a teddy bear on your range?

peabody
10-02-09, 19:19
CMMG makes both a carbine and mid length dissipator barrel.

Towards the middle: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=103&

yes, i ordered the 16'' midcon barrel with the mid-length gas, and disipator full length rifle model.
hopes its exactly what im looking for. CMMG, was awsome dealing with, seemed to be super nice crew.

peabody

BAC
10-02-09, 22:58
Markm, would you mind finding out the weight of your ADCO upper? To say I'm curious/interested is an understatement of the day...

-B

peabody
10-02-09, 23:33
Markm, would you mind finding out the weight of your ADCO upper? To say I'm curious/interested is an understatement of the day...

-B

A++++

markm
10-03-09, 14:28
MarkM,

Uh... Is that a teddy bear on your range?

It was an ALF stuffed animal.... that retarded sit com from the eighties.

-B

I'll have to ask around to see if anyone I know has a scale that would measure this. :confused:

BAC
10-03-09, 15:04
Cool (it'd be much appreciated). I have a feeling I'd want the barrel turned down a little bit, and I'd prefer a full flat top upper to the RRA upper, but I'm not sure I could ask for much more in a middy upper. Well, unless someone else is paying. :D

-B

3CTactical
10-03-09, 16:33
markm - where are you in AZ? - My office is in Chandler and I just picked up a nice 0-20lb scale to weigh the Troy TRX rails I was messing around with. Let me know and I'd be happy to weigh it for ya.

markm
10-04-09, 11:00
I'm in Tempe. Kinda near Arizona Tactical Firearms. (ATF)

3CTactical
10-04-09, 17:37
PM me if you want to come by.

BAC
10-10-09, 23:22
Markm, do you have a set of calipers? I'm wondering what that WOA barrel looks like under the handguards and whether or not I should consider reprofiling it. (I've got a plan forming in my head involving a flat-top version of the ADCO upper, a Hiperform rifle length free-float tube, and keeping the 16" 1:8 twist middy barrel...)

-B

markm
10-11-09, 10:15
The barrel is just over 0.8" under the gas tube.