PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Two Zero: the movie

ALCOAR
02-17-09, 07:07
Have u fellows seen this flick about the 8man SAS scud hunting team in the first gulf war, and ultimately 1 makes it out through the Syrian border, and most get captured. Anyway i forgot all about this movie, and im a huge spec ops fan and just wanted to see if anyone knew why Chris ryan the only man out didnt even get a mention in the movie? Just some food for thought. Also if u have guys have any good Spec ops reads or movies, shoot em my way!

Business_Casual
02-17-09, 07:08
Because it was written by McNab? ;)

M_P

ROCKET20_GINSU
02-17-09, 07:22
Also if I remember the book properly, the team was never the same after being captured and the one guy who made it felt outcast by the others...don't remember the names...long time ago.

Check out "masters of Chaos", its a pretty decent read.

GU

ALCOAR
02-17-09, 07:36
yep i heard it was a serious chemistry things as well, but damn to leave him out all tog. almost discredits the film.

30 cal slut
02-17-09, 07:42
my hats of to the SAS team that is the subject of the book.

i found it difficult to read, knowing how the story would end. :( like blackhawk down.

Iraqgunz
02-17-09, 08:22
Additionally if you want a good read on this subject get the book, "Soldier Five" by Mike Coburn. It is my understanding that this version is much closer to the truth.

Iraq Ninja
02-17-09, 08:37
Well, according to the Brits on my team, McNab is a cock and will never be let near the boathouse again. A lot of the details in his book were questionable, but I am not sure which ones.

Smedley
02-17-09, 08:40
I didn't know the movie was out there.
I'll have to try and find a copy.
I have read several of Andy McNab's books and thought "Last Light" was a particularly good read.

Iraqgunz
02-17-09, 08:44
You can probably find the DVD at your local movie rental place. Sean Bean plays the part of Andy McNabb.

I-Ninja,

I heard that exact same phraseology used as well.

Sidewinder6
02-17-09, 09:59
Well, according to the Brits on my team, McNab is a cock and will never be let near the boathouse again. A lot of the details in his book were questionable, but I am not sure which ones.

Wont be allowed near the boathouse ?

McNab issues aside you should remind your 'friends' why we celebrate the 4th of July over here. :D

Lumpy196
02-17-09, 16:12
Wont be allowed near the boathouse ?

McNab issues aside you should remind your 'friends' why we celebrate the 4th of July over here. :D

I haven't had enough coffee yet apparently. Help me understand what that last sentence is supposed to mean.

Abraxas
02-17-09, 16:32
Have u fellows seen this flick about the 8man SAS scud hunting team in the first gulf war, and ultimately 1 makes it out through the Syrian border, and most get captured. Anyway i forgot all about this movie, and I'm a huge spec ops fan and just wanted to see if anyone knew why Chris Ryan the only man out didn't even get a mention in the movie? Just some food for thought. Also if u have guys have any good Spec ops reads or movies, shoot em my way!

It has been a few years since I saw the flick but I seem to remember them mentioning the trooper that got away. But if you want to hear his story he did get a book written about what happened called The One That Got Away here is the link to it on amazon http://www.amazon.com/One-that-Got-Away-Mission/dp/1574881566

SloaneRanger
02-17-09, 16:51
Bad blood between Ryan and McNab. The consensus was that Ryan ditched his oppos in order to get away clean. Ryan's position was that McNab made several 'questionable' decisions as the patrol leader that ended up compromising them.

Aspersions were also apparently cast as to the 'mettle' of some of the deceased members of the patrol that didn't sit well with the other surviving 4 or the family members of Phillips, lane and Consiglio when they got out.

Abraxas
02-17-09, 16:55
Bad blood between Ryan and McNab. The consensus was that Ryan ditched his oppos in order to get away clean. Ryan's position was that McNab made several 'questionable' decisions as the patrol leader that ended up compromising them.

Aspersions were also apparently cast as to the 'mettle' of some of the deceased members of the patrol that didn't sit well with the other surviving 4 or the family members of Phillips, lane and Consiglio when they got out.

Interesting, does any of this come from someone who had a first hand discussion with those involved?

QuickStrike
02-17-09, 17:02
Read the book, er... most of it. Couldn't stand the chapters when he got captured. :mad:

Is the movie close to the book?

Sidewinder6
02-17-09, 19:50
I haven't had enough coffee yet apparently. Help me understand what that last sentence is supposed to mean.

The old (and I mean 20yrs old) joke was to ask a 'former' boy from the regiment what color was the boat house when you were there? If you got anything other than FU you have a poser.

Hereford is rather land locked if you check the maps.

They love to reel in the Yanks and anyone else for that matter so if you have any friends from the west country, it is always good to give them a shout on the 4th of July to say Cheers.

If they are truely boat drivers, ask them about their Sub driving skills. :D:D

Ridge_Runner_5
02-18-09, 12:09
Read the book, er... most of it. Couldn't stand the chapters when he got captured. :mad:

Is the movie close to the book?

Yep, it was some pretty twisted stuff, but some funny bits, too (like how McNabb proved he wasnt Jewish)

Iraq Ninja
02-18-09, 15:09
I-Ninja,

I heard that exact same phraseology used as well.

Oh, and they like to call him McKnob.

BTW, you ever watch that BBC show called Secrets of the SAS? I think the guy's name was Ed Stone. It was interesting at times...

You can download it as a torrent off the internet.

SloaneRanger
02-18-09, 15:39
Peter Radcliffe's and Mike Coburn's accounts, along with Sir DLB's also provide additional perspectives on the events ...

SloaneRanger
02-18-09, 15:53
Interesting, does any of this come from someone who had a first hand discussion with those involved?

It didn't come from me if that's what you are asking.

Rider79
02-18-09, 16:48
The old (and I mean 20yrs old) joke was to ask a 'former' boy from the regiment what color was the boat house when you were there? If you got anything other than FU you have a poser.

Hereford is rather land locked if you check the maps.

They love to reel in the Yanks and anyone else for that matter so if you have any friends from the west country, it is always good to give them a shout on the 4th of July to say Cheers.

If they are truely boat drivers, ask them about their Sub driving skills. :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1MkjmbdHUM&feature=related

"So what color IS the boathouse at Hereford?"

"How the **** should I know?"

murphy j
02-18-09, 21:59

I can't remember where I read it, but there's been some stuff written with conversations and quotes attributed to the surviving members about all this. On a side note, one of the guys I went to PLDC with back in 95 was a former Royal Marine Commando who had served with Consiglio. We had a conversation about the book at one time and he said Consiglio was a good guy and pretty damn tough.

Smedley
02-19-09, 00:09
Good idea.
(why didn't I think of that?)
I think I'll give that a try.
Thanks for the heads-up...

You can download it as a torrent off the internet.

Danny Boy
02-19-09, 00:23
Subsequent documentaries and investigations by other former regiment guys lead one to believe that B2Z belongs more in the fiction than fact section of the book store.

I don't know. I wasn't there.

Just remember that the most dangerous men on the face of this planet are goat herders though.

Sidewinder6
02-19-09, 10:30
You know guys who leave the services and enter a second career as writers all get PNG'd and darts thrown at their pics in the team rooms on both sides of the pond.

The book was worth reading when it came out and his subsequent books were entertaining when stuck on a long flight.

A lot was similarly said about Marcinko and both of those guys have bank accounts from the books that all of us would love to have.

I will look for the movie. TV programming stinks anyway.

SloaneRanger
02-19-09, 20:04
I can't remember where I read it, but there's been some stuff written with conversations and quotes attributed to the surviving members about all this. On a side note, one of the guys I went to PLDC with back in 95 was a former Royal Marine Commando who had served with Consiglio. We had a conversation about the book at one time and he said Consiglio was a good guy and pretty damn tough.

Royal marines are all extremely tough ..to the man. 40,42 & 45 CDO, Royal Marines actually account for around 40% of all SAS personnel (and 100% of SBS personnel that's almost 75% of all UKSF [if you don't take into account the newest SF groups the SRR which took over 14 Int Co. that was then manned by SAS/SBS troopers on rotation to the unit and SFSG made up of Para Pathfinders and some RM's from 539 assault grp and Commachio grp UKFPG {all from 45 RM cdo}]), 1 & 2 & 3 Para about 30% and the rest come from the Guards division as well as other army regts. (McNab came from the RGJ's).

You know guys who leave the services and enter a second career as writers all get PNG'd and darts thrown at their pics in the team rooms on both sides of the pond.

Must be something about them alpha type peronalities;)

murphy j
02-19-09, 21:30
Royal marines are all extremely tough ..to the man. 40,42 & 45 CDO,

That's a given, but I was given to believe he was a bit tougher than average. I also was part of a NATO exercise in Sardinia back in the early '90s (92 maybe) and the 45 CDO were there as part of the games and cross training with Spanish Commandos. They tried to barter with us a bit for MREs as they didn't have enough rations for the trip home. We just gave them to them along with several cases of water. I did manage to get a jungle hat off one. I still have it to this day as one of my prize souvenirs:D. Wish I still had the Legionaires beret I got on the same trip. I can't remember what happened to it:(.

RogerinTPA
02-19-09, 21:31
Hell, I didn't even know a movie was ever made about Bravo20.:eek: Killer Elite is a good read.

Sidewinder6
02-23-09, 12:46
[if you don't take into account the newest SF groups the SRR which took over 14 Int Co. that was then manned by SAS/SBS troopers on rotation to the unit

Since you mentioned them, also see The Operators by James Rennie about S&T and his time with the Det.

Boomer10
02-23-09, 16:57
I've been reading this thread from the beginning and while digging through a box looking for the movie 300 I found a copy of Bravo Two Zero that I'd forgot I'd bought. I must've bought it during a deployment or something. If anyone wants it let me know.