PDA

View Full Version : Roggio Arsenal

R1pper
02-17-09, 12:40
Has any one ever heard of this company, or heard about the quality of thier lowers. A link to PKfirearms is all I could find. A local shopw has about ten of them and was kinda curious about about their quality.

http://pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=175

-DM-

Buckaroo
02-17-09, 12:59
Tag for info. Only 4 hours from me!

Shelbyville, Illinois 62565

Buckaroo

GaryXD
02-17-09, 13:24
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=421675

R1pper
02-17-09, 13:54
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=421675

Thanks for the link but it really does nothing for as far as reputation and quality because of the source. I subscribe to the school that TOS is mostly JAFO! I guess I treat TOS like our current administration a bunch of people spewing uninformed and ignorant bullshit.

-DM-

R1pper
02-19-09, 21:30
JUNK!!! So far! The one I got none of my 30 or so mags woud drop free, It was a PITA to get any of my LPK in and function properly!

I called Roggio and they are overnighting me a box and shipping label so they can take a look at my LPK in conjunction with the lower. Once they have recieved it they are sending me a new lower (with my parts back) and a check for the transfer my dealer charged (I bought the lower out of state).

I will report back again when I get the new lower.

-DM-

R1pper
02-23-09, 11:04
Well I didnt get the shipping label yet, but the individual who I contacted on the 19th called me back to see if I got the label and was very irritated that I did not get it.

I will so far give them good points for CS as far as making the attempt to rectify this issue.

-DM-

ra2bach
02-23-09, 11:15
JUNK!!! So far! The one I got none of my 30 or so mags woud drop free, It was a PITA to get any of my LPK in and function properly!

I called Roggio and they are overnighting me a box and shipping label so they can take a look at my LPK in conjunction with the lower. Once they have recieved it they are sending me a new lower (with my parts back) and a check for the transfer my dealer charged (I bought the lower out of state).

-DM-is this, as far as we know, the first or only report of one of these being out of spec?

I had read some issue over the finish. the color was not a "deep" black or somesuch. do you agree?

R1pper
02-23-09, 13:43
is this, as far as we know, the first or only report of one of these being out of spec?

I had read some issue over the finish. the color was not a "deep" black or somesuch. do you agree?

THe dealer I got the lower from has had zero problems with them. Unfortunately the one that I bought has been the only problematic one. As far as the color they are just as "deep" black as my S&W lowers.

-DM-

ra2bach
02-25-09, 11:32
THe dealer I got the lower from has had zero problems with them. Unfortunately the one that I bought has been the only problematic one. As far as the color they are just as "deep" black as my S&W lowers.

-DM-
ok. thanks for the reply...

JSantoro
03-03-09, 23:15
I'm glad I ran a search on Roggio, here.

Operator's Wharehouse in Jacksonville, NC has about 12 or so on-hand. I gave thought to picking one up, but managed to apply something resembling impulse control until I had a chance to get some feedback from the hive-mind.

What I saw was very clean construction, no visible pits or divets. Roll marks were very crisp. The finish was a deep charcoal/black, with no evidence of the purple you sometimes see. I looked at 5 lowers, and they all looked the same. When asked, the guy behind the counter said balls-out that they got them for no better reason that that they were available immediately to them.

When I asked what their reputation was, he said that they run pretty tight, and while not top-of-the line, they might fall in the 2/3 to 3/4 mark on the relative scale of what's available. These may be on a par with the Essential lowers I rember reading about, here.

I'm also interested in hearing from anybody who's laid hands on these before. Are they a no-go, so-so, or what? OW is selling them for $190, and that's what made me step back today, as bad as the Get It Now! itch may be.

R1pper
03-04-09, 10:04
I can assure they now have the correct TDP dimensions. My FFL faxed them a schematic with all the relative and correct info.

My lower was sent out Monday. I should have it back in about a week or so (hopefully).

-DM-

R1pper
03-06-09, 08:55
Yesterday afternoon I got a call from Roggio about my lower. Well come to find out that the person that I have been in contact, is Ross Roggio the owner. He stated that after looking over my lower that the "back line was out a few mm" when it was machined. He transferred my LPK to the new lower and everything fit "perfectly".

Ross had said because the back line was "out" that in turn messed up the rest of the machining process for the lower, and that is why I had issues with the mag well, the mag catch and the safety selector.

Ross also stated that for my my troubles and being patient he included one of his upper receivers to go along with my new lower.

I am very pleased that they were able to fix my issue and impressed at the lengths they went to make sure I was a happy customer. Ross was nothing but polite and professional each and every time I dealt with him. In my book they get a great CS rating. After to talking to Ross, I found out that they are a very young company that has just recently been inserted into the AR market.

-DM-

JSantoro
03-06-09, 09:28
That's really cool, and good to know they spport their product. I'm looking forward to picking mine up from transfer.

jwork
03-13-09, 15:11
Picked one up a few weeks ago, put Magpul and military mags in the well and they slid in and out without any problems. DM, what LPK did you use in your lower? I have been looking at a DPMS and can get one now. Any opinions on different LPK's are welcome. Thanks... Jim

Shihan
03-19-09, 02:02
I just picked one of these up and there is no problem with black PMAGS but the FDE ones I have have to be tugged to come out. I guess this will be my dedicated .22 lower.

R1pper
03-19-09, 12:08
Picked one up a few weeks ago, put Magpul and military mags in the well and they slid in and out without any problems. DM, what LPK did you use in your lower? I have been looking at a DPMS and can get one now. Any opinions on different LPK's are welcome. Thanks... Jim

If you refer to my last post I stated that the lower was not correctly set in the CNC machine and that caused most of the problems. As far as a LPK I used a Stag, when building a rifle for me or other I typically use Stag as they are (used to be) readily available around here and I, as well as others have had great luck with them.

-DM-

jwork
03-23-09, 21:10
Found and bought a Double Star LPK. Assembled everything last night. No problems with the exception of the Mag release being VERY hard to push in. While doing a function check, I placed a Pmag in the well, I had to press hard on the release button and when it finally released the lever broke. I picked up another lever this afternoon. While waiting to pay for the new lever, I looked at the broke one and seen where the threaded pin was not centered on the lever and the brake was on the very thin portion of the lever at the pin. I looked at the new one (DPMS); the pin was centered. I installed the new lever and all is good. Moral of the story: the problems may be with some parts and not the lower.

Shihan
03-27-09, 02:59
Well finished assempling the Roggio lower and the threads for the RE were out of spec. I couldnt get a Vltor or LMT RE to screw in and had to file down the threads on the lower to get one to fit. This coupled with a overly small magwell on the lower I have Im forced to give it the thumbs down. If this wasnt going to just go along with a .22 upper I would have sent it back.

BSAGCA
03-27-09, 14:42
I'm glad I ran a search on Roggio, here.

OW is selling them for $190, and that's what made me step back today, as bad as the Get It Now! itch may be.

Riverine - If you happen to be in the area. Hunter's Haven in Rolesville (15 minutes NE of Raleigh) has them for $160, less (I think $140) if you catch them at a show. I think Jim's in Raleigh had them for $150 at the show last weekend. A Roggio person was at Jim's. Seemed pretty knowledgable but I didn't get into a very deep conversation with him. I think they are going to start making LPKs soon. Several 5th and 7th group retired guys manage/own the company from what I understand for what that is worth.

I agree with Riverine that the looks seemed good/professional but I have no experieince other than handling them.

There is a known issue for a certain lot of the lowers with the RE being out of spec. Roggio will pay for return shipping and either replace or repair (can't remember if it was repairable). I haven't seen a SN range to know what not to buy.

Customer service seems good from what I hear from many comments. Seems like some growing pains though. Hopefully another good new company will be added as a manufacturer after the initial issues are resolved.

I'm planning on trying one for a dedicated 22 build.

JSantoro
03-27-09, 18:12
Appreciate the heads-up, but I ended up getting one and having it shipped up to VA where I live. I was only at LeJeune for 2 days, and there's nothing scheduled for us in NC in the near future. Unless you know of anything in Hawthorne, NV.....?

I have almost everything I need to put the lower together (endplate!), but I think I'll take it in to VA Arms and ask them to confirm as to whether or not it's fully within spec, or not. I did a quick test fit of the RE, and it's tight, so I'd like to have the whole thing checked by an armorer and any discrepancies noted so I can contact the vendor with a specific gripe list, at need.

Given what DM said about their CS response regarding his lower, I'm fairly confident I'll have a respectable lower ready for whenever my upper arrives.

A1para
03-27-09, 18:46
Hello,

I bought two of these lowers from the gun show in Fayetteville, NC. The only problem I had was with one of the buffer tubes. The threads were very tight and my solution was to lap the tube into the lower using some metal polish.

Other than this minor issue both lowers are very nice and there were no other problems. The uppers I have ( both BCM) fit tight which is nice.

It is good to hear that Roggio took care of you. I would not have a problem buying another of their lowers.

Sim

CarlosDJackal
04-11-09, 13:43
I just took delivery of two of their stripped lowers and as best as I can tell the Pivot Pin holes and the Take-down Pin holes may be too tight. I have yet to verify with actual pivot and take-down pins.

I did try to contact Roggio Arsenal via their website but have yet to hear from them. I will try to call them next week although I would like to verify that they are out of spec before I do so. I have an LPK on the way.

I'm a little disappointed about the fact that they have not contacted me since then, though.

jwork
04-11-09, 15:17
I just took delivery of two of their stripped lowers and as best as I can tell the Pivot Pin holes and the Take-down Pin holes may be too tight. I have yet to verify with actual pivot and take-down pins.

I did try to contact Roggio Arsenal via their website but have yet to hear from them. I will try to call them next week although I would like to verify that they are out of spec before I do so. I have an LPK on the way.

I'm a little disappointed about the fact that they have not contacted me since then, though.

The holes on the one I bought were tight when I first put mine assimbled mine, but after working them without oil a few times they loosened up. Give that a try and see if it helps.

JSantoro
04-11-09, 15:49
Carlos, they'll contact you. Mine's going back for a couple of issues, and their response time has been good.

Initial contact made through the website, got UPS shipping paperwork 3 days later, with FFL info. I just need to get to a UPS center to pack and ship it. If DM's experience with them is any indicator, we'll all end up happy.

CarlosDJackal
04-12-09, 20:05
Carlos, they'll contact you. Mine's going back for a couple of issues, and their response time has been good.

Initial contact made through the website, got UPS shipping paperwork 3 days later, with FFL info. I just need to get to a UPS center to pack and ship it. If DM's experience with them is any indicator, we'll all end up happy.

I hope so.

Shihan
04-12-09, 21:46

They are way tight on the one I had along with other issues that I mentioned on here. I would never buy one again thats for sure as there were so many things wrong its wasnt a isolated mistake on the line. If it wasnt for being used on a non fighting, training dedicated .22 I would have went through the hassel of returning it.

CarlosDJackal
04-14-09, 10:01
They are way tight on the one I had along with other issues that I mentioned on here. I would never buy one again thats for sure as there were so many things wrong its wasnt a isolated mistake on the line. If it wasnt for being used on a non fighting, training dedicated .22 I would have went through the hassel of returning it.

I'm with you on this one. It's been almost a week and I have yet to hear from them.

My LPK came in yesterday and it took some hammering to get the takedown pin in while the pivot pin went in with just a lot of thumb pressure. I think I will have to assemble one of the lowers just to make sure that I do not have an issue with fitting it for LPKs.

I'll accept mistakes as long as they are addressed in a timely manner (within reason). But I have no patience for poor Customer Service - especially when they do not even acknowledge receiving inquiries after almost a week!! I'd call them but I am at work and cannot make long distance calls. I'd drop by while I was in the area for a VTAC class this weekend, but I sincerely doubt that I'd have the time to do so.

I'm pretty disappointed and very unimpressed at this time. :mad:

Rider79
04-21-09, 10:31
This guy is trying to get $250 for one:

http://lasvegas.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/new_mil_spec_lower/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=1204884

larry starling
04-21-09, 12:04
This guy is trying to get $250 for one:

http://lasvegas.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/new_mil_spec_lower/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=1204884

Wow! $99 locally. Just bought one.

lwhazmat5
03-09-10, 17:24

-DM-

In my experience with the company I have come to believe they're a bunch of hacks! For the person who posted about their lpk not fitting in the lower and sending it back in, most likely Roggio machined your lpk to make it work with their out of spec lower. I purchased several lowers that had out of spec buffer tube threads. I talked to Ross and he gave me every excuse about "they only take mil spec tubes." I had several different mil spec and commercial tubes laying around and none of them would work. I called Ross back and told him about the situation and he then told me to take a dremmel with a brass wire brush and scrape off the anodize from around the threads because they use several coatings supposedly. After doing this none of my tubes would thread more than a turn and then completely seize. After calling ross again, he then told me to send them in and he wod fix the problem.
I sent ONE in and got it back promptly with some BS letter of apology AND a new 6 position buffer tube courtesy of Roggio Arsenal. Come to find out, he did not repair the lower! My complimentary buffer tube had been machined on to make it work with HIS receiver!
I know that this is probably my first post, but I've been a member on this board for over a year. The only motivation I have for posting this is to forewarn all of the members in advance of the atrocities I've experienced while dealing with this company. IMHO I feel that I dealt with a used car salesman and will never make the same mistake again dealing with a new company without researching them thoroughly!
Thanks for your time taken in reading this!

JSantoro
03-09-10, 21:28
Yeah, I need to get a prybar IOT get my foot outta my mouth over my above posts. My issue was also crazy-tight receiver extension threads, so I sent it back with the label they sent me. I picked it up personally while driving back from a training evolution aboard LeJeune and assembled my lower.

No problems getting anything to fit, but it appears that the RE threads are out of true, not aligned right. The BCG drags on the lip of the mil-spec RE (I don't use or own commercial), though not in such a way that it interferes with the actual cycle of operations. It's distinctly noticeable when working the charging handle, and there is wear on the lip of the RE as a result.

I thought it possible that the RE was out of round, and so swapped it with two others, each of which started to show the same wear spot. Unsat.

Relegated to "I got nothing else" emergency-use-only. I need to get another lower for SBR engraving and whatnot, anyway. BCM it is....

DragonDoc
05-14-10, 13:56
Has anyone dealt with Roggio's Arsenal? I bought a lower from them and it was out of spec. I was told to send it back and they would take care of the issue for me. Well it has been nearly two months and no remedy. They aren't answering email or phones. Their messenger service is full so I have no way of contacting them short of booking a flight to Fayettenam. Are they still in business? What can I do about my situation or am I just hosed? I am disappointed with Roggio's. Their customer service started out very responsive and now I get nothing from them.

Warg
05-14-10, 14:49
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26475

There are at least eight YouTube viddys from one guy who bought three lowers and sent them back for "better versions"

Here is part 7. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNtlGAVStU&feature=related)

CarlosDJackal
05-14-10, 14:57
Be afraid. Be very afraid. :mad:

DragonDoc
05-14-10, 15:49
Has anyone been able to contact Roggio's lately. They aren't answering email and their mailbox is full of messages. I sent back an out of spec lower for them to fix and now I can't get them to respond.
:mad:

DragonDoc
05-14-10, 16:29
Damn!! I would hate to have to take a loss for the price of this upper. :mad:

m-4 5.56
05-14-10, 18:39
Hello everyone ,first off I live literally 30 minutes away from PK firearms ,yes little shop in the boonies,but first class products ,and service ,that being said I have also owned a roggio lower ,and I personally have had no problems with mine , I did receive it before the obama scare maybe that has something to do with it .:D

Hootbro
05-14-10, 20:34
My one and only Roggio went back last year to get the extension threads chased. Came back and built it as a quasi A1 with a Bushmaster C7 upper. Rear take down pin has to be taken out with a punch.

Mags drop free and works OK but I will not waste money on another.

JSantoro
05-15-10, 00:19
Doc, PM sent.

jaygee
05-18-10, 12:08
My experience with Roggio has been limited to two receivers. The first was built in April,09 and
had issues with the mag well size, and the mag release button size. After many months of
being promised a return tag, I sent the lower back on my own. About six months later, I
received a new lower from them. This one had a revised mag well, however nothing else
would fit, including any upper I have! Any attempts to reach them afterwards has been
futile. Needless to say, this is hardly professional behavior for an AR, or any manufacturer.
The dealer from whom I purchased the original lower has offered to swap me one of another
brand for this hopelessly out of spec. replacement lower.

jaygee
05-18-10, 12:15
I too, have been unable to make any contact with Roggio of late. I've also had two receivers worth of trouble with them. I will be taking my replacement lower, which is totally out of spec., back to
the dealer, who will swap me a different brand. I would warn anyone considering a Roggio from
any time period to stay far away......this site and others should be warning enough!

sinister
05-18-10, 12:29
I believe they went out of business last year.

emfourbinator
05-18-10, 20:25
I did talk to a female employee earlier this year about a related matter.
In more recent times, there has been absolutely nothing. AFAIC, they
are belly up...big time.

emfourbinator
05-19-10, 13:54
There were a few Roggio lowers from a couple of years ago that did not look too bad, at least on the
outside. How they actually lined up is a big unknown. What's been coming across lately is another
story.....and makes Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorn look like a Swiss watch ! absolutely atrocious, both
inside and out! For the money, you can do way better - like way, way better. :(

Infidel74
05-19-10, 17:35
There were a few Roggio lowers from a couple of years ago that did not look too bad, at least on the
outside. How they actually lined up is a big unknown. What's been coming across lately is another
story.....and makes Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorn look like a Swiss watch ! absolutely atrocious, both
inside and out! For the money, you can do way better - like way, way better. :(

Roggio makes Oly shine.:D

Happypupy
03-16-11, 19:40
I've a couple of these that I picked up a few years ago. They aren't bad. The fit on the ones I have is good, no problem with assembly of internals and the fit with multiple uppers from differant builders is decent. Some slop, but nothing worse than some factory rifles I've handled at the local shop. I didn't have any problems with them. With that being said, the only reason I picked these up, is because I got them at a good price and they were made 2 hours from me. With Roggio not currently in buisness, I don't know that I'd buy another based on the problems some have had with them. Just MHO.

jeepnut83
03-16-11, 20:21
bought one of these lowers last year for $120 and it had a lot of issues...Fire control pocket out of spec, take down pin holes out of spec, selector hole out of spec. but the trigger and hammer pin holes were in spec. so after about 1 hour of milling I brought it up to Spec. and now it works fine. but that was a lot of work to make a "bargain deal" lower work. considering I can finish a 80% in 3 hours. well my two cents

DragonDoc
05-02-11, 21:40
Roggio's is out of business but the lowers and uppers they sold are still out there. If you come across their stuff walk away quickly.