PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a geer queer

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 03:58
I caught myself perusing threads on small bugout bags and suddenly felt like I was shopping for purses so I ordered 4K of 5.45 instead :cool:

Anyone else ever have to slap themselves over this?

rob_s
02-18-09, 05:58
I will admit to having read a review of something and found myself cruising over to the manufacturer's website to order it before snapping out of it and saying to myself "what in the hell are you going to do with this once you have it?" Or, something that is incrementally, at best, better than what I currently have.

Two years ago at SHOT I walked by Strider's booth and saw that they were selling some of their stuff at a discount at the show. I like their stuff, people I know and respect like their stuff, and so clearly I just had to have one. I plunked down my $200 for a knife that would normally sell for $250, and rushed home to lash it to my chest rig. Great knife, but served absolutely NO purpose for me, and in fact did nothing but get in the way on my rig. Passed the savings on to someone else and sold it for what I bought it for.

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 06:03
Yeah, the key phrase is "incrementally better." Folks are rushing out to buy the new Aimpoint and some of them already have the older model :rolleyes:

rob_s
02-18-09, 06:19
I was looking at my #1 carbine the other day. Vltor stock, Tango Down pistol grip, DD M4 rail, Ergo rubber rail cover.... I know I'm *supposed* to be changing the stock out for a UBR, the pistol grip for a MIAD, the rail covers for XTMs, the M4 rail for a Lite....

The gun still runs, and I still run it well, so what's the problem? None of those newer products are so earth shattering that they'll actually affect anything, so why would I change? Well, I don't listen to myself. I swapped the stock for an Emod, and the grip for a MIAD and the covers for XTMs. and guess what? I haven't even shot the damn things since doing that what with running an AK for a year and three new rifles to work the kinks out of. :rolleyes:

One of the best shooters we ever had at our carbine matches shot a Ban-era DPMS with an OLD Trijicon reflex and an A2 grip and M4 stock. Somehow, all that out of date gear never seemed to slow him down.

30 cal slut
02-18-09, 06:28
that's why a forum like M4C is so helpful. allows you to bounce ideas off of folks, and, more often than not, you save money.

vaspence
02-18-09, 07:56
that's why a forum like M4C is so helpful. allows you to bounce ideas off of folks, and, more often than not, you SPEND money.

Fixed it for you!

sandman99and9
02-18-09, 08:13
I caught myself perusing threads on small bugout bags and suddenly felt like I was shopping for purses so I ordered 4K of 5.45 instead :cool:

I bought a new bug out bag a couple weeks ago plus all kinds of shit to go in it!!
A brand new cold steel tanto knife that I will probably never use. Also bought a multi tool and then found one I had in the trunk of my car :( I had to check myself and say what the hell am I buying this stuff for ?? So I went back to buying 600 rds of privi from wideners and more pmags !!

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE

S.M.

MarshallDodge
02-18-09, 09:15
Great post and follows inline with the peer pressure post.

A few years ago I dabbled a little in 3-gun. One of top shooters used the stock sights on his carbine.

My goal this year is to improve my shooting with the equipment I have.

K.I.S.S.

ST911
02-18-09, 12:13

Yup. I've been seriously contemplating a large gear sale. Unused things could become useful things.

The gun still runs, and I still run it well, so what's the problem? None of those newer products are so earth shattering that they'll actually affect anything, so why would I change? Well, I don't listen to myself. I swapped the stock for an Emod, and the grip for a MIAD and the covers for XTMs. and guess what? I haven't even shot the damn things since doing that what with running an AK for a year and three new rifles to work the kinks out of. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty cynical. Very few new offerings do something that others don't already. A few of those that do will do it a little better or a little differently, but the differences are lost on most. New stuff sells to the masses mostly because of marketing, flash, or to follow the fan club. If 90% of the new products seen were never produced, I don't know that we'd ever miss them.

lonewolf21
02-18-09, 12:59
i agree with you guys, but i think that there's one opinion missing from your posts. not everything has to be functional. i am definately a geer queer, i like stuff. does it make me any more "high speed", "no", do the accessories on my rifle look great, well hell yeah they do, but dont all serve a purpose. some people on this site go into harms way on a daily basis, god bless them all. some of us will never have much use of our rifles except to compete, plink, slay, or simply assemble and store for the zombies. i am a cop, i carry my rifle at work, and i also stock up on all sorts of junk that has little or no use to me. but damnit its fun. i love strapping on a safariland 6004 for my 1911 and my chest rig that holds 25 mags(im exagerating) with a knife or too. going to the range and shooting lots of rounds. even with my job i will never have the need for a safariland 6004 for a 1911. nor a chest rig that holds numerous mags. i understand being a simplist and getting only what is needed, but this is a hobby as well as a lifestyle. and hobby's are made to be fun and piss our wives off, right. even though they have no real function other than entertainment. cheers gents :D

lonewolf21
02-18-09, 13:08
oh i left out the apocalypse. everything will have a use then. thats how i justify it anyway. (to the wife)

CarlosDJackal
02-18-09, 13:52
It's spelled: "GEAR". I have three bedrooms and half of my basement full of gear that I have amassed over the years. I've been meaning to sell some of it but every time I do sell or give something away, I end up kicking myself later on because I always come across a situation where I end up needing it. :(

But on the positive side, spending on gear prevents me from buying too many shoes. :D

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 14:22
Let's see how you spell on Oxycontin, using one arm, and bleeding profusely, CarlosDSpellingNazi:D

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/blood.jpg

Iraq Ninja
02-18-09, 14:37
They didn't give you any morphine? I highly recommend it for your next incident. Good stuff, and you don't care how your spelling is...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Iraq%20PSD/Mosul%20ambush%202-13-04/ambushpic.jpg

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 14:44
Not this time but I knowwhat you're saying. Had it the first 5 surgeries.

steve-oh
02-18-09, 14:49
I guess I'll be the dissenter here, I think a man purse would go really nice with the dress you're wearing in that picture. I think a little ranger green would compliment the pattern nicely.

Get better dude. I'm praying really hard for your recovery, because I know it's what you'd want.

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 14:55
Yes, Your Majesty. steve--oh, King Gear Queer has spoken :D

WAH (Weak Ass Hate) but my dress is making my legs cold.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-18-09, 15:43
I saw the title on the main page, but with the underlining I thought it said:

Qeer Queen

I wondered if LittleLew had found his BigLew.

LittleLew-Did you get shot again???

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 16:03
Nope, just some maintenance (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19520&page=6).

pgpd3147
02-18-09, 18:03
I'm a recovering gear queer! When I was in Afghanistan I bought 3 different molle vest, several assualt packs, a couple of Camelback carriers, a boat load of different types of gloves, and Pouches. Let's just say I didn't come home with a lot of money!

SeriousStudent
02-18-09, 19:35
LLB - I hope you heal quickly, and your recovery from this surgery goes well.

mac37
02-18-09, 20:05
My new #1 question to ask myself before purchases

"what in the hell are you going to do with this once you have it?"

Buckaroo
02-18-09, 22:46
I have discovered the true queer geer!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/LMT/Pink002.jpg

I always said that only real men can wear pink..... I never thought I'd see this though!!!

Buckaroo

Jack-O
02-19-09, 01:21
Most of my stuff is setup for civilian use and thus is "low profile" stuff like what Sneaky Bags is currently making. I do have a go bag should I need it, and have trained with it enough to be competent with it and feel that it is adequate gear considering it is also so low profile.

I live near a college, so everyone is carrying a bycycle messenger bag and/or a backpack of some sort. Dan-O's CRB with a folded AK or other 31" rifle is about as low profile as you can get if you need to carry a rifle

The BOB that Sneaky is making makes an excellent vehicle setup. if for no other reason than that it at least deserves a look. No need to buy a dozen, but 1 would be a nice addition.

RyanB
02-19-09, 02:21
I can hide all my gear under a sweater. I think I've got about two pieces of nylon and don't use either.

navyretired1
02-19-09, 03:27
That stuff (morphine) causes me all kinds of wide awake bad dreams all 5 times i've used it and it doesn't actually stop the pain, you just don't give a damn and your too busy fighting off the imaged evil intentions of Nurse Cratchitt or other scary things to worry about the pain ouch.

CarlosDJackal
02-19-09, 22:07
Dood!! Wouldn't it have been easier if you just used deodorant? :p

I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery!!

BAC
02-19-09, 22:33
If you're too broke to buy the stuff you wanna buy are you safe from this affliction? :p

-B

sandman99and9
02-20-09, 11:40
If you buy more PMAGS even though you don't need them does that make you a gear queer or just a pmag whore ??

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE !!

S.M.

CarlosDJackal
02-20-09, 12:21
If you buy more PMAGS even though you don't need them does that make you a gear queer or just a pmag whore ??

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE !!

S.M.

Depends on what you actually use them for!! :eek:

sandman99and9
02-20-09, 14:08
Pmags are like sex. 1st you search and try to find them. Then you have the buildup of the shipping. Then the finale when UPS shows up and you get to open the box :D:D

Pmags last a lot longer and don't complain how you treat them....lol

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE !!!

S.M.

pgpd3147
02-20-09, 18:10
Pmags are like sex. 1st you search and try to find them. Then you have the buildup of the shipping. Then the finale when UPS shows up and you get to open the box :D:D

Pmags last a lot longer and don't complain how you treat them....lol

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE !!!

S.M.

HAHAHA...This is so Hirarious!

Matt Edwards
02-22-09, 09:22
While obviously not a gear queer, I do think "better" is better. A better piece of gear is just that. If it something that makes it easier for you do what you have to, it is a good thing. The important part is that you are sure you can take advantage of it first.
The only thing worse then being a firearm/kit "eliteist" is being a "reverse eliteist". At least the former is attempting to head in the right direction...forward.

For me, when in doubt, I buy ammo, training and mags.

R Moran
02-22-09, 12:42
Well, I just spent about 300 bucks between Tactical Tailor and DBT, and I don't think it covered everything, oh well.
Better is better, if you ID a deficiency in your gear, and its either hampering your performance or mission, and it can fit in the budget, I don't see a reason not to upgrade.
Again, trying to buy skill is one thing, using the best kit you can is another.

I'm sure the first time a caveman tied a stick to a piece of flint or rock, another caveman said, "what do you need that for?"

Bob

Matt Edwards
02-22-09, 15:41
I'm sure the first time a caveman tied a stick to a piece of flint or rock, another caveman said, "what do you need that for?"

Dude...that was brilliant!

sandman99and9
02-23-09, 10:08
This is what I have picked up since January 3rd
Does this make me a gear queer or just a tactical fairy ??
Insert comments here.............:D:D
Not quite the quality of pics that you get from the stickman. Someday I might be that good, but I doubt it..lol

UPDATE : I just got 4 black 30rd pmags from big brown....lol

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/sandman99and9/001-2.jpg

There are some more mags/ammo in the B.O. bag and a spotting scope/targets/binos/more ammo in the closet. Plus I have about
15 more pmags and another 600 rds of privi on the way.

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE !!!!

CarlosDJackal
02-23-09, 13:33
Are those Orlite magazines? WTF? :eek:

If they are, there is a rule that PMags and Orlites cannot occupy the same home. Since it's against the law to sell the Orlites I'll take those PMags off your hands for $5 a piece!! :D

sandman99and9
02-23-09, 15:07

If they are, there is a rule that PMags and Orlites cannot occupy the same home. Since it's against the law to sell the Orlites I'll take those PMags off your hands for $5 a piece!! :D

LOL thats a good one carlos :D I don't know if they are orlites, no markings on them anywhere?? Bought them at the gun show when I picked up the rifle. Guy told me I would never go back to USGI :rolleyes: That one should go in the gunstore thread!! Bought them before I knew better. But I only have 2 of them and they bitch and complain all the time that the Pmags are bullying them in the B.O. bag.

S.M.

P.S. How about I send the orlites to you instead ??

Jerm
02-23-09, 16:08
Dude...that was brilliant!

Yeah,hope he doesnt mind,its going in my sig.

Im a hopeless "gear queer",but i have no problem dumping the "latest and greatest" if it doesnt work for me and going to something else(maybe back to something that had worked better in the past or trying another new item).

Rider79
02-23-09, 19:16

They're ProMags. One step above OrLites.

Rider79
02-23-09, 19:18

There are some more mags/ammo in the B.O. bag and a spotting scope/targets/binos/more ammo in the closet. Plus I have about

Maybe you should stop buying Pmags and get an optic for that gun.

seb5
02-23-09, 20:23
Insert comments here.............:D:D
Not quite the quality of pics that you get from the stickman. Someday I might be that good, but I doubt it..lol

PMAG WHORE FOR LIFE !!!!

Nice starter kit, but a gear queer, you gotta ways to go. Where are your multiple rucks, chest rigs, flash lights, various nick nacks for the weapons. You need a box full of unused holsters, ammo for weapons you don't own yet. Add in pouches in every color, sleeping bags, first aid kits, spare parts, hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of parts you thought you needed but never used.

R Moran
02-23-09, 21:23
Nice starter kit, but a gear queer, you gotta ways to go. Where are your multiple rucks, chest rigs, flash lights, various nick nacks for the weapons. You need a box full of unused holsters, ammo for weapons you don't own yet. Add in pouches in every color, sleeping bags, first aid kits, spare parts, hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of parts you thought you needed but never used.

I'm not seein the problem:D

Bob